The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 18th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Bad Poetry Day, Serendipity Day, and Helium Discovery Day

You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.--Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Halibut with Tomatoes and Hearts of Palm
Drink of the Day - Pumpkin Pie Martini
Wine of the Day - Sogrape Vinhos - Silk & Spice Portuguese Red Blend 2021
Destination of the Day - Saint Thomas Island, Charlotte Amalie, USVI

Today in History:
1940 Battle of Britain: The air battle known as "The Hardest Day" occurs; Luftwaffe lose approximately 69 aircraft and the RAF lose 68 in one of the largest ever air battles

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Koningsdam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 19 Aug

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0600-1500

Nieuw Statendam

Edinburgh, Scotland 1400(+1

Noordam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy 1000(+1

Rotterdam

At Sea destination Amsterdam, Holland, The Netherlands eta 19 Aug

Volendam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska 0900-0930

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Zaandam

St John's, Newfoundland 0800-1700

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Nanortalik, Greenland eta 19 Aug

0818World.thumb.png.5a86d91ddea922bb113a73687ea18285.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 16

Good morning and thank you for the Report.

We had a thunderstorm overnight and it's still very windy and cloudy this morning.

Bad poetry day?  I loved the poetry of Sarah Binks, "the Sweet Songstress of Saskatchewan".  Here's a short poem about getting her child to sleep:

Count the hours, count the sheep

Sleep, you little nuisance, sleep.

You can't beat that for being bad poetry (at least it rhymes).😁

Prayers for everyone.  They are evacuating the people of Yellowknife because of the threat of forest fires.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Happy Friday.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Dixie, Ann, and Tina.  I'll bet we'll get lots of bad poetry today.  Helium was a great discovery and what's not to like about serendipity.  This is likely a sad day in the UK.  I like the Harper Lee quote and have been to St. Thomas a number of times but I don't think ever on a BHB.  I'll pass on the Halibut.  My alternative is Maple Fruit Melange, Chilled Cranberry Soup, Perfectly Grilled Breast of Chicken and Pistachio Ice Cream as served on MS Veendam August 18, 2013.

I think I have a lunch with former colleagues today and not sure what else is on the schedule.

Roy

• Like 37

Good afternoon.

It has just started raining and it is currently 64°F.

Thank you Rich for today's daily reports and offerings.

Pauline and my late dad liked poetry.

A true quote.

Nice food today.

We have been to St Thomas a couple of times on cruises and docked in 2 different docks.

Pauline enjoyed the jewellery shops.

Another big history day today.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20230818_115311.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care list:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering at home

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery

Cruzin Terri with PMR flare

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina town gone

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy; eye infection

Denise T working on lowering blood sugar elevations 

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Lady Hudson’s DH needing PT for leg strength

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Mr. Boston!

Baby Murphy progressing, hoping to wean ventilator this weekend

Dfish feeling better

Smitty34877’s DH Lou home from the hospital

Quartzsite Cruiser’s DH with good report from back surgeon

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for HAL4NOW (Zaandam Aug 23 to Sept 3, B2B)

Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23), StLouisCruisers (Zaandam to Aug 23), NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25) and Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Aug 26)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 18

I thought Friday would never get here!

Thank you for the Fleet Report and Daily. Thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them.  Cheers 👏🎉 for all the celebrations.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. 🙂

• Like 28

Pumpkin Pie Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
1/2 part DeKuyper® Buttershots® Schnapps
1/2 part Pinnacle® Whipped® Vodka
1/2 part Cruzan® 9 Spiced Rum
2 parts Half and Half
1/2 part Pumpkin Puree
1 dash Pumpkin Spice
Whipped Cream

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with whipped cream.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 7.12.50 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18

A quick good morning from central Texas.

St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, has been the port of the day twice before.  The first time was November 3, 2022, and the second was just a few weeks ago on July 27, 2023.  The links to Rich's @richwmn post for the Fleet Report and Daily are below.

I'll be back a little later after I've read the rest of today's FR/D.

Lenda

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Quite the collection of days.  I think I will celebrate Serendipity - I love it when it happens.  That quote is ever so true.  The meal sounds good - no halibut here though and I’m not running out in this rain 😉 

IMG_1792.thumb.jpeg.3878ae599adcee6f5df8e6a02178d286.jpeg

We’ve certainly been to St. Thomas.  I’m lucky that my first visit was decades ago before there were tons of cruise ships every day.  Magen’s Bay was peaceful back then.  Now, if St. Thomas is on the itinerary, I prefer Saint John which is not as busy and beautiful.

IMG_1794.thumb.jpeg.10b68f58963e880338b5d4eb409dd84a.jpeg

A sad day in history with so much loss of life.  

I just realized that I had an anniversary on August 7th - I hit a decade of doing the Future Cruise Listing and Bon Voyage threads.  I’m not sure if that is celebratory or stupidity 😂 

IMG_1795.thumb.jpeg.a6913fcec045636e270e29197c2dec2d.jpeg

Ivan was very tired after his grooming yesterday (no morning nap) until of course I said the magic word - walk.  LOL.

IMG_1809.thumb.jpeg.ef5b384dd41f72603ef70aa51da01b82.jpeg

He likes to be on my quilts.  He doesn’t hurt them or drool so he’s allowed to be comfy.

IMG_1811.thumb.jpeg.2a7a815131d5ba08a36c4e1aa2010725.jpeg

@Mr. Boston Happy Birthday!

IMG_9955.gif.c48e8f086954ece3184ee9eeb855ab1c.gif

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues and worries and those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising! 🥂 

IMG_1796.thumb.jpeg.2644e5912759c449a41fba2e4a5e39b7.jpeg

Have a Good Friday everyone.

• Like 41
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A quick good morning from central Texas.

St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, has been the port of the day twice before.  The first time was November 3, 2022, and the second was just a few weeks ago on July 27, 2023.  The links to Rich's @richwmn post for the Fleet Report and Daily are below.

I'll be back a little later after I've read the rest of today's FR/D.

Lenda

MS Crystal,  Maybe we have run out of ports. I mentioned my favorite beach as Secret Beach, and please keep it a secret. 

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 11
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Pumpkin Pie Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
1/2 part DeKuyper® Buttershots® Schnapps
1/2 part Pinnacle® Whipped® Vodka
1/2 part Cruzan® 9 Spiced Rum
2 parts Half and Half
1/2 part Pumpkin Puree
1 dash Pumpkin Spice
Whipped Cream

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with whipped cream.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 7.12.50 AM.png

And we are still over two months from Halloween. What’s next, tomorrows drink will be Stuffed Wild Turkey on Ice. 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 13

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Happy Birthday!  @Mr. Boston

Happy 96th Birthday, Rosalyn Carter!

Now that we are back from our road trip, time to concentrate on our next cruise as we sail in 27 days!

Stay Safe and prayers today for those that need them!

- Jack

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It has been thunderstorming since 5 am but the sun is trying to poke out between showers.Oh my.It is very humid.

Serendipity  day sounds great and  I am not sure bad poetry  day is deserving.I can't  begin to imagine what England went through during WW2.We have been to St Thomas. It was where we danced with my mom on the party boat.Lovely memories. 

@Mr Boston, a very Happy Birthday!

@marshhawk, Annie, thank you for your suggestions. I hope to get Lou out and about over the weekend and I agree attitude really helps.

The PT comes today and I am looking forward  to her visit. The nurse yesterday  was excellent. Lou continues to struggle  with food.

Gave a great day everyone!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A spectacular morning following another wild afternoon storm. And we were at the Northern tip of it. I suspect Daytona got the worst of it. Bindi and I had a long walk to celebrate the lack of humidity!

Vanessa, thank you for all you do! Gym, Bindi walks, chores & maybe some pool time 🤞🏻

IMG_1645.jpeg.8be98c5306eb47a6b7d6442cedb21146.jpeg

IMG_1647.jpeg.ec57eff484640904f4cdda21dabc9533.jpeg

IMG_1637.jpeg.84a03c6c4bac8f4cb61ed7f4fa577e35.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

@Mr. Boston Happy Birthday! Hope your new year is filled with laughter, love, great health and a cruise or two!

IMG_3005.jpeg.7b0491b7bcbac8fd072ec1a180c292a9.jpeg

Get well & stay well everyone!

Sogrape Vinhos - Silk & Spice Portuguese Red Blend 2021

Ooh, another red blend from Portugal. And this one sounds amazing. It is going on my list!  Lots of consumer fans. Easy to find & a price that makes it painless to try. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $9.95.

Winemaker Notes

Intense, deep ruby color, with a bright red rim. The predominant flavors are ripe, cooked black fruits. Sweet notes of vanilla and hints of mocha. The first impression in the mouth is rich and full. Excellent balance of tannins and acidity, with a long, smooth finish.

Blend: 35% Touriga Nacional, 35% Alicante Bouschet, 15% Baga, 10% Syrah, 5% Tinta Roriz

91 - Wine Enthusiast 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 8

Good morning, everyone!

@Mr. Boston Happy Birthday!

I think I am 98% this morning.  Getting out and walking about will help greatly.  We’re going to look for the city bus to Signal Hill.  We’ll decide about walking down or taking the bus when we get up there.  Otherwise, t-shirt shopping.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. We received news yesterday that Susan’s oldest sister husband is close to dying. It will be a Blessing as he has not been his kind and wonderful self since suffering from dementia. On a brighter note. @Mr. Boston Happy Birthday!🎂

Being a week of travel this week just flew by and it seems true also with August.

September is on its way and we hope it starts cooling down. There is lots of activity and tropical depressions forming so these next few months will be worrisome.

Please keep the folks of Hawaii in your thoughts and prayers. Not only entire families have perished but their homes and livelihood. So sad.

Have a great weekend. Thanks for all who make the Daily possible. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.bcdaa296aab107f2fd52ffa7259af6a0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8db0121d0ea49608e0195e51dd68de01.jpegimage.jpeg.d019b662d10433c9d0224db3d613f0e1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.43e282dac921dca98525365804b38aaf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5362af22a75ca3520bccf905706b4b1e.jpegimage.jpeg.2525698eb97fa225ec07acfae1122051.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 20

Good morning. I won't try any bad poetry, Helium is an essential element and too much is wasted, my neighbor had some serendipity yesterday when she went to town for a severe splinter treatment and won $550 on scratch off lottery tickets.  A sad anniversary for GB with the loss of so many planes in early WWII. An excellent quote by Harper Lee. Pass on anything pumpkin spice, a cocktail with pumpkin puree?   Grilled halibut sounds good, my tomatoes are still not ripe.  I will wait on the wine, name kind of suggests it is less than $10 per bottle. We have been to St. Thomas many times and will return many more times this winter.   

Happy birthday @Mr. Boston  🍾🎂

Thanks for our Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.  Prayers for everyone needing them, the citizens of Maui and the people of Ukraine.  @kazu thank you for the lovely Dahlia photos and of handsome Ivan with his new trim.  

Very chilly here, 46 when I got up but warming up to the high 80s by the weekend.  Have a lovely day! Nancy 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Halibut is a large flatfish in the flounder family. It includes three different species: Pacific, Atlantic, and Greenland halibut (also called turbot). They live and feed on the bottom of the seabed. Pacific halibut is the largest species of flatfish. It is native to the North Pacific Ocean and it is fished by commercial, recreational, and subsistence fishermen. Huge Pacific halibut, sometimes called "barn doors," can attain a length of more than 8 feet and a width of more than 5 feet. Halibut are born swimming like salmon, with eyes on either side of their head. As they grow, one eye migrates to the right side and the young halibut begin swimming sideways, with both eyes on the top of their bodies. Their large size and delectable meat make them a popular and prized target for both sport and commercial fishermen.  U.S. wild-caught Pacific halibut is a smart seafood choice because it is sustainably managed and responsibly harvested under U.S. regulations. Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus) range from Virginia in the US all the way to Disko Bay in Greenland. There is also halibut in the eastern Atlantic, but they are managed separately. 

Grilled Halibut with Tomatoes and Hearts of Palm is another recipe from Bon Appetit,   Here is the recipe for those who can’t get past the firewall.

Cooking fish doesn't need to be intimidating. In fact, few things could be simpler—or more rewarding. For meaty steaks of swordfish, albacore, and halibut, all you need is a kiss of high heat from a grill or cast-iron pan and a simple vinaigrette. Zesting citrus directly onto your food means no wasted precious aromatic oils and zero chance of the zest drying out before you use it.

¼ cup olive oil, plus more for grill and drizzling

1 lemon

4 (5–6-ounce) skinless, boneless halibut filets

Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper

2 pounds mixed heirloom tomatoes, sliced

½ cup sliced drained hearts of palm

Torn basil leaves (for serving)

Step 1 Prepare a grill for medium heat; oil grates. Finely grate 1 tsp. lemon zest directly onto halibut and lightly drizzle with oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill halibut, turning once, until browned on both sides and just opaque in the center, about 5 minutes.
Step 2 Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, hearts of palm, and ¼ cup oil in a medium bowl; squeeze in 2 Tbsp. juice from lemon and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 3 Toss basil into tomato salad. Serve halibut with tomatoes and dressing spooned over.

Grilled Halibut with Charred Tomato Vinaigrette This is a perfect summertime dinner which takes advantage of peak tomato season.  The sweet cherry tomatoes are lightly charred to give the vinaigrette a smoky flavor. 

wsASSTM4nBD443zLrmA6RS8hjMXnUojuO4fbHWRQ

Grilled Halibut with Tomato and Caper Sauce  This sauce is made by sauteing  onions,fennel and garlic, then adding tomatoes, wine, stock and capers.  The fish is then grilled and served atop the sauce.

1iBPksgjQiXku5WXp1da-GRjRZjQ0s0I67V8XCwS

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes. May your life be good.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14