The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday October 1st, 2023

richwmn

We were in Victoria, Mahe, Seychelles, on the Ides of March in 2000.  I have a few pictures that DH took with his new digital camera, but since he was driving the rental car, the pictures are from a couple of stops along the road.  I'll check to see if any of my old fashioned pictures are worth scanning.  In the meantime, here are some of DH's pictures.

We walked into town before deciding to rent a car.

P3140571.thumb.JPG.5fcd1cdf4e57e1b7049727c3f6e2e1de.JPG

P3140572.thumb.JPG.60e6302ed4be361cde5490a9afe37a9d.JPG

P3140573.thumb.JPG.23a416bd278f69bf834a35d10a5db1c7.JPG

A nice looking beach.  We were looking for a place to go snorkeling, but did not find one where we could park the car for a while and go in the water.  There is a nearby island with good snorkeling, that several people we knew took the ferry to and spent the day at the beach.

P3140574.thumb.JPG.91a229d89c063ee2ec7f9d5a3e128789.JPG

We stopped at a hotel for something to drink and to look around.  There was an enclosure where we found these guys.  The loved to have the underside of their necks rubbed and scratched.  One even followed me to the gate when we left so he could get more neck rubs.  I was surprised at how fast he would walk.

P3150580.thumb.JPG.7769e190957c40c7749f3c035f927cd0.JPG

The views from the hotel

P3150581.thumb.JPG.1fb784efdff4e82db4ac40d67ab15658.JPG

P3150582.thumb.JPG.c5118015738dbd28ab20018d379a0820.JPG

P3150585.thumb.JPG.6e36ddcbb43e6e35065ac321940ff81a.JPG

A beach on the other side of the island

P3150583.thumb.JPG.cf01e114cc5a0c8bfa365362dd53d0a4.JPG

From our balcony as we sailed toward Durban, SA.

P3150587.thumb.JPG.3e9de0ef9f6a59f7019285f689802195.JPG
P3150588.thumb.JPG.b04d6c0cc9e369b513073cfd69acdbba.JPG

Lenda

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

I thought there might be some on the Daily interested in a study and a device UTSW uses when someone has an operation on their brain, has a stroke or a concussion.  It checks the speed the pupils in each eye reacts to light.  They used the device on DH before his surgery and several times in recovery.  It was one of several neurological tests they preformed pre and post op on DH to see if the shunt had caused any damage, which it hadn't.

Here is a link to the article.  Since UTSW is a medical school and a teaching hospital, they are doing a lot of research in many fields.   https://utswmed.org/medblog/neuroptic-pupillometer-concussion/

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from a soggy NY. I saw mushrooms in several places when I took the dogs walking earlier. The sun is also in the sky today and will be with us for the next few days. 
I have not been to the port and love chicken enchiladas. I truly enjoy my two cups of coffee in the morning. The rest of the day I drink only water. I know, very dull. 
I will celebrate the elderly day and frugal fun or any kind of fun. The last month taught me  that I am older now and physical tasks can be challenging. I will be 70 in a few months but in my head I still feel twenty or so.

We have a prospective aide coming by in a while so Tana and I hustled through our  morning routine. She is having periodic issues with increased difficulty breathing in spite of increased oxygen. The stiffness of the lungs in pulmonary fibrosis creates its own resistance. We did have a good laugh at my attempts to “ clean up” before someone new comes through the door. This involved items being placed in closets and other forms of subterfuge.  
Enjoy the day

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit Rabbit White Rabbit!!

(I don't usually post on the first of the month, but always remember to say it!)

SOOO glad to have the sun out today - I couldn't believe the rain we got over the weekend! It didn't stop raining yesterday until early afternoon.  My son's church had their annual Harvest Fair yesterday which went on in the rain - they had tents covering the necessary areas, and most of the stuff (crafts, baked goods, etc) were inside the parish hall. My son said they did very well in spite of the weather!

I can definitely agree with coffee day - I'm having my second cup right now.  Soon getting ready for church.  Prayers for all on our care list....so many with health and family issues.  Cheers to those cruising already or getting ready to cruise!

Have a wonderful day,

Laura

IMG_2228.JPG

• Like 26
  • Haha 6

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

Today is Elderly Day. Since today so many names are being changed to be politically correct, how bout changing elderly to more mature person.

Today in history concerning the Prince Williams of Orange reminded me of a question on the final round of a Family Feud show. The question was, Name a Yellow Fruit?. The contestant answer was “Orange”. 😀

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 10
  • Haha 16

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Sunny and warm here today. Fancy and I will be going to the park. Then it is home to watch the Eagles play. 

The meal and drink of the day sound yummy. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.jpeg.3d8294c41239c2ac34bfe17172c64eea.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Glad the government did not have to shut down but we should vote all of them on both party’s out and start anew. They had a year to get this done without all the drama and panic they put their constituents through.

Unfortunately it happens almost very year. It’s frustrating. 😡 So much work/time goes into preparing for a shutdown. Not to mention the anxiety about not getting paid on paydays (we eventually get back pay).

We may get to do this again in 45 days if they don’t pass a budget. 🙄

Congress should have their paychecks stopped if the budget isn’t passed. Then let’s see if this ever happens. 

(Sorry if this is too political. I understand if this post gets deleted.) 

IMG_1543.thumb.jpeg.61b6be22b2e443c956327962b40e3b93.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 8

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!

Good morning, everyone!

Today is definitely my day.   We have two pots of coffee in this house.  One in the morning and one in the afternoon.  I admit that Sue drinks more of it than I do, but I get my share.  We both are in the elderly category even though we try not to act like it.  Sometimes that works out.  For frugal fun today we are going out to Chippewa Nature Center and hiking some new trails.  

@RMLincoln Your moving reminds me of doing that same thing at this time last  year.  We had our offer on a house accepted in late September, early October and closed on October 31.  In the middle of that I did take a 2 week cruise and then hurried home to pack.  I had packed most stuff up before I left on the cruise and had spent the month of September painting.  It will get done and I'm glad you have some help in doing it.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'm happy to hear that Steve continues to improve.  I'm sure that is a major relief for both of you.

@smitty34877 I hope the new aide works out.  You do need help.  No one person can do it alone.  Wishing you the best!

@kazu Packing for a cruise is actually fun to me.  I pack, unpack, repack.  I can have fun for days!

@Nickelpenny  Enjoy your cruise!

Today's meal is a good one.  I would make it with the low carb tortillas.  Many recipes recommend the corn tortillas, but the low carb ones only come in flour.   

We have the rich food traditions of Mexico to thank for bringing enchiladas to the world.  Historians believe that the origins of enchiladas actually date back to Aztec times, when the tradition of rolling or folding food into corn tortillas is believed to have begun. (The word enchilada is derived from the Spanish verb enchilar, which means “to season with chili.”)

This first recipe has a home made sauce to go with it.  https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/best-chicken-enchiladas-ever/

chickenenchiladas1.thumb.jpg.d1d31a268761cde52f1543e2fe4db8cb.jpg

This one trims some calories and carbs from the dish without jeopardizing the taste.   https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-enchiladas/

chickenenchiladas2.thumb.jpg.85f2a0084c3fd4b55e4697cc0619a176.jpg

And just for variety, we have white chicken enchiladas.  https://www.joyfulmommaskitchen.com/white-chicken-enchiladas/chickenenchiladas4.thumb.jpg.49770a5ebe6ec1e8c19ff2d81280e036.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 13

56 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We were in Victoria, Mahe, Seychelles, on the Ides of March in 2000.  I have a few pictures that DH took with his new digital camera, but since he was driving the rental car, the pictures are from a couple of stops along the road.  I'll check to see if any of my old fashioned pictures are worth scanning.  In the meantime, here are some of DH's pictures.

We walked into town before deciding to rent a car.

P3140571.thumb.JPG.5fcd1cdf4e57e1b7049727c3f6e2e1de.JPG

P3140572.thumb.JPG.60e6302ed4be361cde5490a9afe37a9d.JPG

P3140573.thumb.JPG.23a416bd278f69bf834a35d10a5db1c7.JPG

A nice looking beach.  We were looking for a place to go snorkeling, but did not find one where we could park the car for a while and go in the water.  There is a nearby island with good snorkeling, that several people we knew took the ferry to and spent the day at the beach.

P3140574.thumb.JPG.91a229d89c063ee2ec7f9d5a3e128789.JPG

We stopped at a hotel for something to drink and to look around.  There was an enclosure where we found these guys.  The loved to have the underside of their necks rubbed and scratched.  One even followed me to the gate when we left so he could get more neck rubs.  I was surprised at how fast he would walk.

P3150580.thumb.JPG.7769e190957c40c7749f3c035f927cd0.JPG

The views from the hotel

P3150581.thumb.JPG.1fb784efdff4e82db4ac40d67ab15658.JPG

P3150582.thumb.JPG.c5118015738dbd28ab20018d379a0820.JPG

P3150585.thumb.JPG.6e36ddcbb43e6e35065ac321940ff81a.JPG

A beach on the other side of the island

P3150583.thumb.JPG.cf01e114cc5a0c8bfa365362dd53d0a4.JPG

From our balcony as we sailed toward Durban, SA.

P3150587.thumb.JPG.3e9de0ef9f6a59f7019285f689802195.JPG
P3150588.thumb.JPG.b04d6c0cc9e369b513073cfd69acdbba.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit rabbit white rabbit. Can you hear me bubbling? Today I fly out to San Diego and board tomorrow. I can't believe that it is finally time to start this trip. I'll wave at each of you as I pass over head. I have a tiny list that will keep me going until my son comes to pick me up and take me to the airport. Oh I am so excited. 

• Like 35
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lindaler said:

Rabbit rabbit white rabbit. Can you hear me bubbling? Today I fly out to San Diego and board tomorrow. I can't believe that it is finally time to start this trip. I'll wave at each of you as I pass over head. I have a tiny list that will keep me going until my son comes to pick me up and take me to the airport. Oh I am so excited. 

giphy.gif

• Like 21

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.  Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We don't drink nearly as much coffee as in the past - usually starting our day with a flavoured tea.  I think when DH gets up instead of having a second cup of tea, I'll make coffee.  I used to remember thinking of elderly as someone who was about 40 years older than me . . . in that case, I guess there aren't many elderly people left!  I'm all about frugal fun.

Wow, it's dark out there - not only is the sun getting up later in the morning, it doesn't help that we've had rain all night and continuing right now.  The temperature is hovering at +9 (48F), and we're expecting a whopping high of +10(50F), so we don't have far to go.  It's definitely a day to stay indoors, dig out the sweaters, probably turn on the furnace for the first time in a number of months, and just be.

@Quartzsite Cruiser so happy to hear Steve's progress; prayers for it to continue.

@cunnorl wishing your DH a very Happy Birthday!

@Nickelpenny and @Live4cruises Bon Voyage; enjoy your cruises!

@StLouisCruisersextra prayers for your friend's DH.

@kazuoh my gosh, you have a TON of bulbs!!!  Good luck with the packing - I'm sure it won't take you long once you get started.

@smitty34877 I do hope the person coming in to interview for Tana's aide works out well for all of you.

@lindalersafe travels today - how exciting!

Not a lot on the agenda for us today, so I think I'll just settle in and work on another blanket.  I was pleased the other day to find a brightly variegated yarn that really adds great accent colour to the finished blankets, so I'm looking forward to working with that.  I think I'd like to try the drink of the day, will pass on the wine, and will tuck the recipe away for another day.  It's cool, wet and rainy, so I'm going to make a big pot of borscht and fresh buns for us to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Dailyites. 

I got caught up in working outside and am a bit late.

Sandi your friends husband Scott is in my prayer book. What a tragedy.  Prayers for Tana getting a new aide, baby Murphy (did we get a weekend update?) 

Thankful Steve is making an improvement. Tiny steps each day.

@cunnorlwishing DH a lovely birthday.

Thank you Graham for Father's message. Thank you to all our faithful contributors and especially Vanessa who really stepped up to the plate!

Last night we had a welcome home party for our friends who were returning home from Rome. They had a great sail on Viking Jupiter.

We live in a 55 plus community so I'm guessing some people consider themselves elderly.  Not me!!

image.png.25d7d29152bcd738238dee2c581051f7.png

image.png.dbb82555db2b46b37ae347073a4ce884.png

image.png.e0bb208319525bca9a971a9a29c4d0eb.png

Congratulations Ren on the goal and the win!!

I like a hearty cup of coffee in the morning and an ice coffee in the afternoon. 

image.png.9732207ef82618413537664d1d1d023b.png

image.png.67f14a250d23ece05f748b9a9fb19c5d.png

Wishing ya'll a blessed Sunday. Have a great week.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 14

46 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Have safe travel and a wonderful cruise. Bon Voyage!

• Like 21

Happy Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit Sunday Morning Dailyites!

Coffee, the food of the Gods..... 

cfd0265993ed0f538d3f95baa957c377.jpg

5b1156bd561e9-funny-cat-comics-scott-met

My trip starts in 12 days.  I packed last night.  I will unpack and do it again, but I managed to cut out a lot of unnecessary stuff. and forgot of course to put necessary stuff in.  I keep telling DH to pack for one week, with a special shirt for Halloween.  We get free laundry service on the ship, we don't have to dress in formal garb, and we are at that age and philosophy, that we don't care if we wear the same pair of jeans or shorts for two days in a row. It is our cruise, our trip, our vacation.  I know that currently Rome is the same temperatures that Atlanta has which means summer garb during the day, and a sweater at night.  Packing is easier than packing for Alaska.  I do not know what temperatures are like crossing the Atlantic  in November.

Elderly?  Well I am beginning to realize what I can't do anymore, can dream about how what I would still like to do, and try to make a happy combination of both.  Lots of chores to do today.  Pay a bill in person at Macy's, cut back the shrubbery from the back side of the house, so that the insurance person can check out the roof tomorrow morning, make a couple of necklaces, and grocery shop.  There is nothing to eat now in the house, without getting veggies to make what is in the freezer last another week.  The most important thing is there is no breakfast food at all!  DH will be the breakfast fairy as soon as he wakes up!

I am concerned about Frugal Fun.  Does this mean have fun without spending too much?  or does it mean to only have a little fun,  to be frugal with the time you are having fun?

So I looked it up- and found out the following-

Do you think you can have the time of your life without breaking the bank? Look no further, because this year’s Frugal Fun Day on October 1 is the ideal day for you to enjoy all the fun in the world without breaking the bank. Frugality, which implies spending money wisely, is a trait that may be looked upon due to its “cheapness.” However, in today’s fast-paced world, when everything is becoming more and more costly by the minute, everyone should aim to be thrifty. Frugal Pleasant Day invites you to enjoy yourself by spending no more than $5 on a fun activity. It’s even better if the activity is free. The purpose of the day is to make people realize that money does not guarantee a good time; it is up to you to have a good day.

In other word- PARTY!!!  in my own way of course.

6d642d5a08e694c275e7b0f6b4939cda.jpg

I used to be sad having to pay bills, until someone pointed out that I should be happy because I can pay them.  

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 22
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I thought there might be some on the Daily interested in a study and a device UTSW uses when someone has an operation on their brain, has a stroke or a concussion.  It checks the speed the pupils in each eye reacts to light.  They used the device on DH before his surgery and several times in recovery.  It was one of several neurological tests they preformed pre and post op on DH to see if the shunt had caused any damage, which it hadn't.

Here is a link to the article.  Since UTSW is a medical school and a teaching hospital, they are doing a lot of research in many fields.   https://utswmed.org/medblog/neuroptic-pupillometer-concussion/

Lenda

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, this is so cool! As a former critical care RN who took care of neuro/neuro surg patients, and was a medical device researcher, devices like this are always interesting to me. 

It appears to have quite a few indications for use in the day to day neuro assessments of injured people.

Very happy to hear your DH is recovering well and improving from his surgery. 😊

@Nickelpenny and @Live4cruises Bon Voyage and safe travels!! 🛳️ 😎

Have a good day!

Edited by Cruisercl
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit! And just like,that, it’s already October! We’re getting the house ready for winter before we head off on our cruise. We leave a week from today, and I can’t wait! I also haven’t started packing. Yesterday we got a nice upgrade offer, and went from an inside cabin to a larger cabin with a floor to ceiling window for next to nothing. Happy dance time!

The wind brought the walnuts down in the past few days. They’re much smaller than usual. Fearing the worst, I opened a few. They have as much meat as they usually do, but the shells are very thin. It’s been a strange year, and this is one of the few good surprises.

Prayers to all recovering from medical issues, May there be news of speedy recoveries soon.

Happy Sunday, and cheers to those heading off on journeys - there seems to be a lot of us,

• Like 26