Monday November 13th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Good Morning from a warm but rainy day at the beach

I think Ann @cat shepard sent us their rainy weather from yesterday.

We have been to Dublin a few times but not on a ship. We are scheduled to stop there ( Dun Laoghaire) on next summers VOV. We plan to take the train to Dublin and then just walk around. We were thinking of the HOHO but this years reports were that it was very crowded with long waits. We will walk. better for us.

Yesterdays play was wonderful. The actors really put their heart and soul into it. They have added a special show for December with limited tickets. So we bought them yesterday. We are going to the matinee on the 16th and then my group will come back here for a light supper. It will be fun.

Tomorrow is my DD `S Bday. For some reason, she cries when anyone sings or says Happy Birthday. So we dont but still need to celebrate. We are taking her to the Festival of Trees in Orlando. We will have a cake ( no candles) when we get back.

Prayers for all of our Dailylite friends.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich

& thanks to Debbie, Dixie, Ann & Vanessa.

No musician I can think of to hug here and like @StLouisCruisers I’ll celebrate World Kindness Day (we sure need some) today since the national holiday of San Salvador - Pupusa Day was celebrated yesterday.  LOL on Al Capp and the origin of Sadie Hawkins Day.

Not sure I get the Clarke quote - intelligence has big survival value IMO.  We have been to Dublin but not on a cruise ship.

IMG_1169.jpeg.575a2e93105a26732bd32ed8113d1fbb.jpeg

Well the garden challenge continues - Despite my efforts, Ivan was in the garden again 😡 So I watched him sneakily and the devil sailed over the 4’ retaining wall.  OMG.  New blockage up and I’ll see if it works.  He doesn’t hurt the garden but his ‘deposits’ are very hard to find there. 😉. It’s tough enough to clean up the lawn let alone hunt through my huge garden.  LOL.

IMG_1167.thumb.jpeg.9cba6cb7ccbe1a5bcf30650a1ffd5e2f.jpeg

It’s a busy Monday - covid and flu vaccines this morning and then more appointments shortly after.  I’ll try to fill in the time in between with a bunch of errands that have been put off with the cold (not that it’s any warmer today) rather than confuse Ivan by coming home and heading back out again.  Besides, one Kong a day is enough 😂 

IMG_1170.jpeg.1c4cc061cba240e413c6fa56ee70d9f1.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health problems, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating & cruising 🥂 

IMG_1168.jpeg.003618bf222ccaad0efbde54dd35e38c.jpeg

Have a great Monday, everyone.

Jacqui, if Ivan can jump the fence into the garden, he must really be feeling like a new dog.

5 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Thanks for the Daily, helps keep my sanity. Dublin looks fun. 
I feel lousy this morning, not much sleep, too much pain. Thank you Lenda for the Aspercreme suggestion. My hip/thigh muscle was too painful, nearly spasms. But the aspercreme calmed it down enough. Finishing breakfast, cooked all the eggs in the fridge, will baggie what’s left so we can heat them tomorrow, no pans. 
Onward. 

Say a prayer for my niece… she’s 6 weeks out from a high risk pregnancy at age 48! Baby’s breech, hoping it’ll turn!  I know little about having babies, never had one!  
m—

Maureen, I'm glad the Aspercreme helped.  I hope all goes well with the packing today and the loading tomorrow.  Sending positive thoughts for you niece and her baby.

2 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I received a picture last night from my DSIL of her holding Murphy for the first time since July right before her surgery. She was thrilled to hold her DGD!  Murphy still has a way to go but making progress. 

My DD DS was a fantastic musician.  I wish I could hug him today! I have my monthly lunch with friends and I am bringing dessert. I was supposed to meet with my financial planner but he woke up with sore throat and cough. No thanks, don’t need whatever that is. 

DGD feels ok when temp is down but back up to 103 before bedtime. 

Prayers for our care list and celebrations for the lucky travelers. Have a great day. 

Lorraine, thanks for the update and news about Murphy.  I know your DSIL was thrilled to be able to hold Murphy.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Happy start to the week everyone!  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  All my siblings played an instrument and I did not (cost to learn as I went to parochial school and they went to public) but I don't really know anyone now who does.  So no hugs will be given out.  Had to look up Pupusa and did see its day was yesterday BUT it does look good to try!!  I remember having a Sadie Hawkins dance in high school.  I never went!  LOL!!  Just an FYI:

• Even though women today are more independent than their counterparts in the early 20th century, there is still an unspoken societal rule that it is not proper for women to ask men out on dates. Use this day as an excuse to break these rules and ask your sweetie out on a date.

I agree with Clarke that is why you need to impart your knowledge to others!  No on the meal and drink, maybe on the wine, and I never have been to Ireland.  It was cool to see the pics from the Voyager!

Lazy day today.  It is "warm" this morning at around 60F on the way up to close to 80F.  Of course, sunny as usual.  Made hummus yesterday but was lazy and didn't take off the skins.  Didn't make bread so maybe today.  Straightening up the apartment so that it is clean when I leave.  

Thoughts for the world and those on the care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

IMG_1443.thumb.JPG.cd4948354005f96365c13419edac8d52.JPGIMG_1442.JPG.d7d990c49daaa71d5dc618a860437323.JPG

I cracked up with the U2 meme

Thanks for that Pennie

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I will definitely hug my DH today.  I've never had a pupusa, but they sound quite delicious.  In high school we always had a Sadie Hawkins dance on the last Saturday in February, and of course, the girls could ask the boys to dance.    I disagree with today's quote - if you have intelligence, you can survive.  We haven't been to today's port, but what a difficult way to spell Leery!  LOL

Still dark out there, with sunrise not happening till 8:23, so I don't know what the weather's really going to be like.  Right now we've got clouds, but yesterday's forecast was for "brilliant sunshine" . . . only time will tell.   We have to take my car in to get the remote start looked at; hopefully it will only need to be reprogrammed, and not replaced.  It's funny, because I can use the button on my Mitsubishi key to unlock the doors, yet the remote start fob won't do it - and I just had a new battery installed in the fob.  

@RMLincolnthinking of you today as the movers come to pack up your precious belongings.  I'm sure it's going to feel strange camping out in your own home for a couple of days.  It really got me to thinking what we'd need if we were in that situation.

@Norseh2oBon Voyage!

@marshhawkI'm so sorry to hear you ended up ill on your trip; I do hope you'll be able to shake whatever it is you had/have!

@Quartzsite CruiserI'm excited for you getting your new motorhome today!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions for hotels in FLL - we talked it over with our friends and I let them decide which one they wanted.  We're like Gumby, totally flexible.  They'd done some work on the computer and found the Marriott FLL Airport had club rooms that weren't going to require a kidney to pay for them, so I made the reservations for us last night.  

I'm sure I'd like the drink of the day, but chuckled when I saw "Garnish with a lightly slapped mint sprig."  Pretty sure I'd like the wine, and would like to try today's menu suggestion in a restaurant - no point in making it if DH won't eat it.  Yesterday DH mentioned we hadn't had omelettes for dinner in a while, so we'll be having Denver omelettes and toast at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in ill health, in pain, and in grief.  Extra prayers for the innocents in the midst of war.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is a beautiful morning here in mid-Michigan.  We have bright sun shiny skies and the temperature is supposed to warm up to the mid to high 50s.  That works for me as I have to mow the lawn today.  It should be the last mow before winter.  Sue has gone north to deer hunting camp.  Opening day is Wednesday, but she is taking a few days to visit with friends.  

I might like the meal today without the carrots.  Carolyn @Cruising-along, while it has carrots for you, the coconut would be a no go for you.   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/one-pot-coconut-curry-beef-stew/

coconutcurrybeefstew1.thumb.jpg.fab5e8746cd41a822786df0a8a74df5b.jpg

Here's a version for the slow cooker.  That's my way of cooking.  Put it on in the morning and come back for dinner.  https://www.manilaspoon.com/2014/10/slow-cooker-coconut-curry-beef-stew.html

coconutcurrybeefstew3.thumb.jpg.21c1fd5d20c946878926b7ba8342538b.jpg

And, if you're getting a late start, there is a recipe for the instant pot.  https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/instant-pot-beef-stew-indian-beef-curry/

coconutcurrybeefstew4.thumb.jpg.6918f57e508c3c7cb5fd90f00c78b413.jpg

I hope this finds you all well.

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

image.thumb.jpeg.866c04129807ed11cc19bf8e4e344c18.jpegCarl Sagan: “There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known"

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

Good morning Daily-ites 

A cool quiet morning. Where are the birds?

Busy day later on, so will enjoy a peaceful cuppa and read our Daily. Friends come about noon to decorate for our girlfriend turning 60. We are taking her to lunch tomorrow. She's vegan and chose her favorite Indian restaurant downtown. Then back here to open gifts,  have dessert and play cards. 

Luggage is supposed to be picked up today between 12 and 5. 

@RMLincoln I have been very pleased with the lidocaine patches. They last all day and give me relief more than aspercreme or Voltaren. 

Prayers for everyone on Vanessa's well kept and appreciated list. Hurray for baby Murphy! Sorry Annie you ended up unwell. 

Take care, have a great week, know you are loved.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone!  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.  No musicians in this house or in my family to hug.   No on Papusas and Sadie Hawkins Day was celebrated when we were in high school.   Intelligence took us this far so I don't know what to think about Clarke's quote.   Thanks for the lovely photos of today's port @StLouisCruisers and @Quartzsite Cruiser.  

I will pass on the meal and the cocktail but the wine looks good.   Thanks for researching these for us each day, @summer slope, @cat shepard and @dfish.

Thanks for keeping our care and celebrations reports for us @JazzyV. I am so sad to read that your leg pain continues and it ruins your sleep.  Prayers for some relief for you.   @marshhawk I hope you are on the mend from whatever afflicted you on your cruise.  @RMLincoln Prayers for some relief for your muscle spasms and for a seamless move to your new home in NJ.   Prayers for everyone in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, Israel and the innocents in Gaza.  Prayers that they can get the hostages found and returned to their homes.

I was sad that the Ravens collapsed in their game but on the next screen was John's Vikings game and they made it 5 in a row with their replacement QB Josh Dobbs.   I am moving all the plants for next year's plant sale behind the garage today.  It has dried out and is very sunny.    Have a lovely Monday!  Nancy 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

RNB is back from a land far far away and is ready to restart his duties on this thread.

It’s Sadie Hawkins Day. Brings back fond memories some +57.4 years ago! This is where the girls ask you out on a date and go dancing and they have to pay for everything. Found it hard for someone to ask me out cause everytime a girl asked me out I wanted them to take me to Morton’s Steakhouse for dinner! 😳

As mentioned a few weeks ago me and the Misses will restart cruising next month; have not cruised for over a year! Hope to be on the balcony with a big wave as we deport PE.

Been to the port of call, Dublin, but don’t remember much since I was on a Pub Crawl Tour!

• Like 23

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  It’s a beautiful sunny day although a winter coat is required when going outside.  I’m done working at 1 today so I can take Mona to the vet, simple procedure.  @dfish today’s meal suggestion sounds really good to me and I’d try making but curry doesn’t agree with DH.  I’ll get my fix on a BHB.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.2b9706c3631e68f24698d24610dd7c60.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 5

On our last visit to Ireland earlier this year while on the Zuiderdam, we tendered into Dun Laoghaire and chose to just wander around town after our tour into Dublin was cancelled.  After browsing through a park where numerous booths were set up (and resisting fabulous looking pastries), we stopped for a great lunch at a pub recommended by a local.  

Some views from the tender ride to the dock and then some photos from our walk around town.

IMG_0515.jpeg.baecfcd24503396dfc3650d8d90c67cd.jpeg

IMG_0517.jpeg.039279bc4a419a45513a0bb85fe985b0.jpeg

IMG_0516.jpeg.6923237dc2dbbdd55985984dd9a343f8.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg.314a2603314f7ea5faec5cff0910383c.jpeg

IMG_0504.thumb.jpeg.f4756155855a8e24fe27ced745655cb7.jpeg

IMG_0510.thumb.jpeg.a407ab7e899fbd49e521ffcbe869af16.jpeg

IMG_0509.jpeg.72987822ae0f57f32d47c9366b389e64.jpeg

IMG_0511.thumb.jpeg.1a6a44989952056738808fa0d3ec4e89.jpeg

IMG_0508.thumb.jpeg.2330e1985f3c175c81a36dd5fdd77570.jpeg

IMG_0505.thumb.jpeg.ae15c3917bcc1721ba1f75e7461af112.jpeg

IMG_0513.thumb.jpeg.2ec51f2b25d5cf770d0b32d5d37d3e36.jpeg

IMG_0514.thumb.jpeg.3e6306052ff06d43de82b4c94cd550d3.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. Interesting day. I remember the Sadie Hawkins dances when I was in school  (both High school and college). Sort of fun. I have been to Dublin on land trips and once on a cruise. Lots to see and do. And I will take the stew. On this cold day it sounds good and I like both coconut and curry.

I had a bad weekend. I assisted with a cat hoarder situation and a large percentage of the cats had to be euthanized which is always distressing. We know the woman is holding out on us and has more hidden on her property which will have to be dealt with. The problem lies in the fact that the shelter needs her to surrender them to us. If we have to seize them with an animal cruelty charge we will then have to hold them until we get a court order to retain custody and that can take a while since a couple of our judges are not very good about animal cases- even when we are dealing with sick animals. And.... like every other shelter in the country, we are overcrowded. Fortunately I am now just a flunky helping out and the decisions on procedures are not mine to make.

Supposedly my handyman is coming in an hour or so to remove my microwave above the oven. I may have to wait for a new one since our local hardware store seems unable to stock it but at least I can get this one disconnected. I have had a chat with all the other appliances and asked them to be cooperative and not die before I get back from my cruise. I am reaching the point where I find it hard to cope with everything.

So .... off to the races.

Take care all. Annie, I am sorry to hear that your were ill on the cruise. Hope you both can get rested and are feeling ok now.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

All the musicians I know live too far away to hug today. That includes a niece who is trained in opera and her DF who also is a singer.   Papusas sound kind of good, and maybe I'll ask DH out on a date for Sadie Hawkins Day.  Will pass on the red wine, and I'd probably like the drink.  Hard pass on the meal (Debbie @dfish not only the coconut but the curry and cilantro! 🤢)  Not sure yet what will be for dinner tonight, but it won't involve coconut or curry. 😂  DDIL sent me the recipe for the Beef Ragu she made for us a few nights ago -- it was SO good.

We're dealing with the luggage forward rules right now.  Roll call is discussing how we aren't supposed to even pack vitamins and OTC meds (would that include things like Tums???) into the luggage.  We have a bag full of those items and really would rather not have to find space in our carry-ons.  DH will be calling them today.  We understand some of the rules, but others make no sense.  

Today will be a hair cut for me -- only one more after this before we leave for the Grand Australia/NZ.  Getting excited!

We've been to Dublin a few times.   We took a tour along the north coast and to Malahide Castle, and a dinner show that night that was SO much fun.  We also went to the Guinness Factory, and took a shuttle into town and browsed around.

We went to an 11th century tavern and had Irish Coffee

870507986_11thcenturytavernnearDublin.jpg.d008c845a1810348c47c982325204615.jpg

1393849720_11thcenturytavern.jpg.54e5770d927c11f407a90acf44bc41c4.jpg

Malahide Castle

1323280187_MalahideCastle.thumb.jpg.62eda2ab891a00387b8bb05b265bf8ac.jpg

Malahide Castle exterior

Malahide.jpg.641f3b61d9753721078c1ee80f98d460.jpg

Some interior shots of the castle

658827908_interiorMalahide.jpg.147462c2864467482f47b5b651968b11.jpg

bedroom.thumb.jpg.da58c92186f2834cbf5371c3b137cb99.jpg

parlor.jpg.82096b02525497b06374b150c82fa036.jpg

I loved all the flowers in town

Dublin.jpg.e160861d4281d72e4b2e67c3a8d3c0de.jpg

St. Patrick's Cathedral

205993776_St.PatricksCathedral.jpg.b9c904e30492be01ac9200f5e3356638.jpg

861092284_BrazenHead.thumb.jpg.425fecfde959e2d09d56e9621fc1bee8.jpg

No, I didn't drink both 😄

guinness.thumb.jpg.d574cbfabfc5c781277fdaa5674c7409.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

The one musician I know well isn't around to hug. I had to look up pupusa, as I didn't know what it is; I think I'd like it. Sadie Hawkins day was fun in elementary school. Interesting quote. I'd take the meal without coconut (I can do coconut milk, just not shredded coconut). Yes to the drink and wine. I haven't been to Dublin. A cool day in space history.

It's another nice day, started at 32F, currently 51F and sunny. As usual, I'm not doing much. Only 2-1/2 hours sleep. At 2:30AM I sent off a message to the Neurosurgery PA asking if there was anything else I could do to ease this terrible pain, until my MRI. This morning I had to stop and sit 3 times just making my coffee. The DM of my DD friend Ruth is coming from the UK on Wednesday. If I go to the airport with BFF, I think I'd have to stay in the car, as I couldn't walk from the parking garage into the terminal without pain and having to stop multiple times. 

@StLouisCruisers That's good news that Scott is home; he can continue to work on his recovery in a familiar environment. Thanks for the Dublin photos.

@Heartgrove That sounds like a fun excursion.

@kazu Ivan must be feeling good, to sail over the retaining wall. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos of Dublin. And you're picking up the new motorhome today!

@RMLincoln Sorry you're not feeling tip-top this morning. It's almost the big day! At the new place you can take your time arranging things, I'd think. Prayers for your niece and her baby.

@cruising sister I'm sure your DSIL is thrilled to be able to hold Murphy; continued prayers for her recovery. I hope DGD is better soon.

@cunnorl Early best wishes (instead of HBD) for DD tomorrow.

@summer slope https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/  This is Roy's blog.

@RedneckBob Welcome back!

@Mtn2Sea Nice photos.

@durangoscots So sad and difficult about the cats, especially the ones who had to be euthanized. We just had something similar with a hoarder; they took out about 100 cats and another 30 were dead inside. The woman's husband had died, and she was in the hospital; she did surrender them. 

@Cruising-along Thanks for the Dublin photos.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

We were lucky to visit Dublin on our Pacific Princess cruise around the British Isles. We took a tour of Dublin Castle, which was amazing:

0125.thumb.JPG.888842a795b09958ff89c6eb5661117e.JPG0131.thumb.JPG.eac8b7a5f485adfad848d90ded52f973.JPG0132.thumb.JPG.5d743c62938cfeeecb6438ffa8b0eec4.JPG0133.thumb.JPG.b4bb22c735c75e3b54fda591c3bae6d3.JPG0134.thumb.JPG.7f7a5322225ed45d5936b66313d73e02.JPG0135.thumb.JPG.2651fc2803176e8145dcce5b449ec4cc.JPG0136.thumb.JPG.a3758cc5314721d3d75df4c967145fcb.JPG

The Throne Room was interesting - see how large the chair is compared to our tour guide!!

0142.thumb.JPG.2064eee00bdc4d58236735faa2b3b8a8.JPG0143.thumb.JPG.f8508011c4c70ef570841fb75e3f310f.JPG

After that, we went to Trinity College to see the Book of Kells (I won that discussion with DH - he wanted Guinness, but since I worked in libraries for my entire career I won!!). Unfortunately, you're not allowed to take pictures of the book, but it was amazing to see:

0153.thumb.JPG.a5404d0504b50474cd72d29690789761.JPG0155.thumb.JPG.caea1565b5397e33ce07819a480ee7c9.JPG0156.thumb.JPG.80439f43c0693760be9f2168958aecc4.JPG

0159a.thumb.JPG.70cd7d232e74f8a235200814f9e1868a.JPG0160.thumb.JPG.a3adcb74cd11921f44324be949952dc3.JPG

We then had lunch at The Duke pub, and of course had to have Smithicks with our Irish Stew!

0164c.thumb.JPG.d78d45c6012c9fefad4490b199ba3589.JPG0166a.thumb.JPG.5f53a8ec892ca82995ab86b3dc0cfdff.JPG

We'll be back in Dublin in April on the Regal Princess....not yet sure what we'll do, but I have a feeling it will definitely include Guinness !!

Have a great day,

Laura

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

A quick update.  First, the old motor home had a problem that took a while to troubleshoot, so we were late getting top the dealership.  Then we had a walk through of the new motor home while they went over the old one with a fine tooth comb.  Now we're waiting to do the paperwork.

Lenda

• Like 23

Good Monday afternoon.  I am currently thinking about food.  Doesn't mean I will eat any, there is really nothing to eat in the house, but soup.  Perhaps if i can find a can of something mild.

Two things about my trip.  That will be the last time I will cruise Carnival, and that was the worst food for 25 days straight.  By the end of the third week, I would put 4 thing from the buffet on my plate, take one bite from each, and toss it.  I lost more than 10 pounds, and my scale says i am 154.  Which while they might be a lot for most of you, I have not weighed this little since 1973.

Customer Service was terrible, management was very rude, both at guest services and at the restaurant.

I ended up with pulmonary failure.  In other words, I could not breathe. I spent one full day in the ships hospital, then the next two days for part of the day, with iv, that they had to leave in, they took out on the 4th day. I had oxygen for 5 days, I didnt have to strength to fight this one at all. 20 percent of the ship  the first part of the back to back had this and would not go to see the doc. And after I got the bill I know why, but I did not see an option.  And both the doc and I agreed, that I was at the end of the road.

I had more antibiotics than i have ever had, and of course that affected me too.  Day 6 and 7 I was much better, and then rapidly started going backwards.

Most of the cruisers reminded me of characters from the film Wall-E

image.png.3620ed2789e5ec5d49215083d7e6700f.png

over fed, over drinking- gluttony at it's worst. there were several heart attacks the last two days....

Last night in the middle of the night, Tazi cat, peed on Chuck's head.  I think she wanted to express her anger at being left alone with the two orange cats.  He was not happy.

OK. and now the good parts, Rome, the churches the museums, the Pantheon.  Pizza, salads, lasagna, the trevi fountain at 7 a.m., walking to the river and seeing the vatican  down river, 

Turkey-how beautiful!

And we met some wonderful people, with great life stories to tell.

I'm sure we will get those pictures loaded by next week.

There was a couple on the cruise,. the gentleman  reminded me of Graham, nice enough wife, but he was so sweet....never judge a book by it's cover, they were escorted off the ship, by security.

lol.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Bon Voyage @Norseh2o!   Hope it's a great cruise.

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas.  It is 54F and feels like 53F.  I'm not sure I could tell the one degree difference.  The humidity is 76% with a dew point of 46F and a 5 mph wind from the north.  Our high this afternoon will be 67F, and it should be 60F when we arrive at the dealership to pick up our new motorhome.  I just hope the old one starts and makes it to the dealership.  After that, it's up to them.  The old motorhome all of a sudden began showing it's age.

DH played clarinet in his high school band, and I will hug him.  In fact, I'm the only non-musician in the family.  Both DDs were in their school band.  Younger DD was in the orchestra at UT for a while, and older DD plays with the Austin Civic Wind Ensemble, where she was president for one term.  She said it was like herding cats.   🤣  I looked up pupusa, and it's a dish from Ecuador, so I'll pass on the day.  Since I've been married 56 years, I think participating in Sadie Hawkins Day would not be appropriate.

The Arthur C. Clark quote is interesting, and I take it to mean that intelligence is all you need to survive.  You need to use your intelligence to acquire survival skills.

We'll pass on the meal.  I might try the drink on a BHB, and would like to try the wine.

We've been to Dublin, but did not tender in Dun Laoghaire Harbour.  I'll retrieve my pictures in a few minutes.

The fly by Saturn by Voyager I was a big step forward in space exploration.  We've come a long way since them, especially with the Hubble Telescope and the James Webb telescope.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm glad you and Chuck @catmando  made it home safely.  I hope you are over whatever landed you in the ship's infirmary.  We look forward to hearing about your trip when you are rested and have the time.

362682206_749775290488705_6955815785398039258_n.thumb.jpg.a6595fccf989f973bce80ac6edcfce48.jpg

399177626_666725438904459_6560495578345324417_n.jpg.c433f3ddfd05a2d348e2c3f623ae6431.jpg

399419810_8100178146685338_743775254057784572_n.thumb.jpg.0ebbe903e9edcfc6442d18f01c5e916e.jpg

400165901_10168163397970587_1459925439288545442_n.jpg.d0ac6dbdf207900ebf1801ff37decbd9.jpg

400859746_306313525667302_2416079985636438316_n.thumb.jpg.480d714f63ffd65bcd6875c77d58a88d.jpg

400000906_880938006927760_754705404247323808_n.thumb.jpg.d68cd0a87cc7e114ca176b48764a8aab.jpg

Lenda

Good luck today with the new motorhome switcheroo today!  The memes are funny and the pictures of Dublin very nice too.  Are you sure pupusas are from Ecuador?  I read El Salvador, however they may have grown in popularity across Central America, South America, and even in the U.S.  I think they'd be worth a try!

6 hours ago, kazu said:

thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich

& thanks to Debbie, Dixie, Ann & Vanessa.

No musician I can think of to hug here and like @StLouisCruisers I’ll celebrate World Kindness Day (we sure need some) today since the national holiday of San Salvador - Pupusa Day was celebrated yesterday.  LOL on Al Capp and the origin of Sadie Hawkins Day.

Not sure I get the Clarke quote - intelligence has big survival value IMO.  We have been to Dublin but not on a cruise ship.

IMG_1169.jpeg.575a2e93105a26732bd32ed8113d1fbb.jpeg

Well the garden challenge continues - Despite my efforts, Ivan was in the garden again 😡 So I watched him sneakily and the devil sailed over the 4’ retaining wall.  OMG.  New blockage up and I’ll see if it works.  He doesn’t hurt the garden but his ‘deposits’ are very hard to find there. 😉. It’s tough enough to clean up the lawn let alone hunt through my huge garden.  LOL.

IMG_1167.thumb.jpeg.9cba6cb7ccbe1a5bcf30650a1ffd5e2f.jpeg

It’s a busy Monday - covid and flu vaccines this morning and then more appointments shortly after.  I’ll try to fill in the time in between with a bunch of errands that have been put off with the cold (not that it’s any warmer today) rather than confuse Ivan by coming home and heading back out again.  Besides, one Kong a day is enough 😂 

IMG_1170.jpeg.1c4cc061cba240e413c6fa56ee70d9f1.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health problems, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating & cruising 🥂 

IMG_1168.jpeg.003618bf222ccaad0efbde54dd35e38c.jpeg

Have a great Monday, everyone.

I'm glad to hear you want to celebrate World Kindness Day with me.  We could definitely use more of that in this world.  Hope all the errands go smoothly today and Ivan doesn't run out of Kong goodies too quickly.   Amazing he can leap 4 feet over the retaining wall.  And thank you for the memes -- they're great as usual.  

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. In the mid sixties and may not get into the seventies today. Our drought might get some relief. High chance of rain starting tomorrow with a possibility of 3-5” of rain.  I BBQ chicken for four hours yesterday afternoon. Enjoyed dinner watched a movie and off to bed.

So we will both get a walk in this morning as that might not happen with upcoming weather.

Haven’t heard from Graham so he and Pauline must be traveling again.

Thanks Rich and contributors and healing concerns for those on Care List. Have a great week everyone. Bruce

image.jpeg.a70ea6c97351df3d15fb3574e78e942f.jpegimage.jpeg.402cda3ed2e7167a7123aecffc6984bf.jpegimage.jpeg.2adaa461e042000ba17e4a2225c4b8c4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3a576c465c7b0eac6f9704963bc0a347.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3a35e9a5535204d5dee56cea2e594ae5.jpeg

Your memes are funny today too Bruce!  We can all use a good laugh.   Maybe Graham is having phone trouble.  He mentioned taking it in to see about it Friday or Saturday.

5 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Thanks for the Daily, helps keep my sanity. Dublin looks fun. 
I feel lousy this morning, not much sleep, too much pain. Thank you Lenda for the Aspercreme suggestion. My hip/thigh muscle was too painful, nearly spasms. But the aspercreme calmed it down enough. Finishing breakfast, cooked all the eggs in the fridge, will baggie what’s left so we can heat them tomorrow, no pans. 
Onward. 

Say a prayer for my niece… she’s 6 weeks out from a high risk pregnancy at age 48! Baby’s breech, hoping it’ll turn!  I know little about having babies, never had one!  
m—

Prayers for your niece!  Wow, 48 is definitely a late in life pregnancy.  Good thoughts for her and her baby.  Please let us know how she fares when baby arrives.  I'm sorry to hear you have all that pain at night like Vanessa does.  Hoping things are running smoothly there with the packers.  They do amazing fast work!

5 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I received a picture last night from my DSIL of her holding Murphy for the first time since July right before her surgery. She was thrilled to hold her DGD!  Murphy still has a way to go but making progress. 

My DD DS was a fantastic musician.  I wish I could hug him today! I have my monthly lunch with friends and I am bringing dessert. I was supposed to meet with my financial planner but he woke up with sore throat and cough. No thanks, don’t need whatever that is. 

DGD feels ok when temp is down but back up to 103 before bedtime. 

Prayers for our care list and celebrations for the lucky travelers. Have a great day. 

How wonderful your DSIL was able to hold Murphy!  That baby and family have been through so much.  Hoping all who are ill are better soon.

5 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a warm but rainy day at the beach

I think Ann @cat shepard sent us their rainy weather from yesterday.

We have been to Dublin a few times but not on a ship. We are scheduled to stop there ( Dun Laoghaire) on next summers VOV. We plan to take the train to Dublin and then just walk around. We were thinking of the HOHO but this years reports were that it was very crowded with long waits. We will walk. better for us.

Yesterdays play was wonderful. The actors really put their heart and soul into it. They have added a special show for December with limited tickets. So we bought them yesterday. We are going to the matinee on the 16th and then my group will come back here for a light supper. It will be fun.

Tomorrow is my DD `S Bday. For some reason, she cries when anyone sings or says Happy Birthday. So we dont but still need to celebrate. We are taking her to the Festival of Trees in Orlando. We will have a cake ( no candles) when we get back.

Prayers for all of our Dailylite friends.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

I'm glad to hear you plan on taking the train to Dublin.  It's fast and a clean, safe (as far as I know) way to travel.  I'm trying to find out how far it was for our walk from the pier to the train station but there are so many piers there.  I think we were at a further away one.  On the maps it looks like the train station is referred to as Salthill and Monkstown.  Have a map or directions with you.  You turn right from the docks by the way.  Happy early birthday to your DD.  Enjoy the Festival of the Trees and the cake!

5 hours ago, summer slope said:

@rafinmdIve lost your blog addy. 

Dixie, here's the blog address:  https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/  Note:  it's taken me so long to type all this up you've already got the answer from Vanessa!!

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is a beautiful morning here in mid-Michigan.  We have bright sun shiny skies and the temperature is supposed to warm up to the mid to high 50s.  That works for me as I have to mow the lawn today.  It should be the last mow before winter.  Sue has gone north to deer hunting camp.  Opening day is Wednesday, but she is taking a few days to visit with friends.  

I might like the meal today without the carrots.  Carolyn @Cruising-along, while it has carrots for you, the coconut would be a no go for you.   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/one-pot-coconut-curry-beef-stew/

coconutcurrybeefstew1.thumb.jpg.fab5e8746cd41a822786df0a8a74df5b.jpg

Here's a version for the slow cooker.  That's my way of cooking.  Put it on in the morning and come back for dinner.  https://www.manilaspoon.com/2014/10/slow-cooker-coconut-curry-beef-stew.html

coconutcurrybeefstew3.thumb.jpg.21c1fd5d20c946878926b7ba8342538b.jpg

And, if you're getting a late start, there is a recipe for the instant pot.  https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/instant-pot-beef-stew-indian-beef-curry/

coconutcurrybeefstew4.thumb.jpg.6918f57e508c3c7cb5fd90f00c78b413.jpg

I hope this finds you all well.

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Thanks for the recipes Debbie.  I remember hunting season started in Michigan Nov. 15.  I was still in the hospital after having DS in Midland Hospital!  In those days they didn't kick you out immediately and gave you some time to rest up before going home and staying up all night with a crying baby!  I woke up to a light snow on the ground Nov. 15 and thought the hunters will like that - they can see the deer prints in the snow now.

4 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

RNB is back from a land far far away and is ready to restart his duties on this thread.

It’s Sadie Hawkins Day. Brings back fond memories some +57.4 years ago! This is where the girls ask you out on a date and go dancing and they have to pay for everything. Found it hard for someone to ask me out cause everytime a girl asked me out I wanted them to take me to Morton’s Steakhouse for dinner! 😳

As mentioned a few weeks ago me and the Misses will restart cruising next month; have not cruised for over a year! Hope to be on the balcony with a big wave as we deport PE.

Been to the port of call, Dublin, but don’t remember much since I was on a Pub Crawl Tour!

Welcome back!

3 hours ago, Mtn2Sea said:

On our last visit to Ireland earlier this year while on the Zuiderdam, we tendered into Dun Laoghaire and chose to just wander around town after our tour into Dublin was cancelled.  After browsing through a park where numerous booths were set up (and resisting fabulous looking pastries), we stopped for a great lunch at a pub recommended by a local.  

Some views from the tender ride to the dock and then some photos from our walk around town.

IMG_0515.jpeg.baecfcd24503396dfc3650d8d90c67cd.jpeg

IMG_0517.jpeg.039279bc4a419a45513a0bb85fe985b0.jpeg

IMG_0516.jpeg.6923237dc2dbbdd55985984dd9a343f8.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg.314a2603314f7ea5faec5cff0910383c.jpeg

IMG_0504.thumb.jpeg.f4756155855a8e24fe27ced745655cb7.jpeg

IMG_0510.thumb.jpeg.a407ab7e899fbd49e521ffcbe869af16.jpeg

IMG_0509.jpeg.72987822ae0f57f32d47c9366b389e64.jpeg

IMG_0511.thumb.jpeg.1a6a44989952056738808fa0d3ec4e89.jpeg

IMG_0508.thumb.jpeg.2330e1985f3c175c81a36dd5fdd77570.jpeg

IMG_0505.thumb.jpeg.ae15c3917bcc1721ba1f75e7461af112.jpeg

IMG_0513.thumb.jpeg.2ec51f2b25d5cf770d0b32d5d37d3e36.jpeg

IMG_0514.thumb.jpeg.3e6306052ff06d43de82b4c94cd550d3.jpeg

Thank you for the photos of Dun Laoghaire.  It's worth a visit, wouldn't you say?

Laura @kplady thank you for your photos as well.

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Interesting day. I remember the Sadie Hawkins dances when I was in school  (both High school and college). Sort of fun. I have been to Dublin on land trips and once on a cruise. Lots to see and do. And I will take the stew. On this cold day it sounds good and I like both coconut and curry.

I had a bad weekend. I assisted with a cat hoarder situation and a large percentage of the cats had to be euthanized which is always distressing. We know the woman is holding out on us and has more hidden on her property which will have to be dealt with. The problem lies in the fact that the shelter needs her to surrender them to us. If we have to seize them with an animal cruelty charge we will then have to hold them until we get a court order to retain custody and that can take a while since a couple of our judges are not very good about animal cases- even when we are dealing with sick animals. And.... like every other shelter in the country, we are overcrowded. Fortunately I am now just a flunky helping out and the decisions on procedures are not mine to make.

Supposedly my handyman is coming in an hour or so to remove my microwave above the oven. I may have to wait for a new one since our local hardware store seems unable to stock it but at least I can get this one disconnected. I have had a chat with all the other appliances and asked them to be cooperative and not die before I get back from my cruise. I am reaching the point where I find it hard to cope with everything.

So .... off to the races.

Take care all. Annie, I am sorry to hear that your were ill on the cruise. Hope you both can get rested and are feeling ok now.

Susan

It's nice to hear you're helping out with the cat hoarding situation.  Funny how they seem to think they're helping these poor animals.  Good luck!  Hope the legalities can be taken care of quickly.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

All the musicians I know live too far away to hug today. That includes a niece who is trained in opera and her DF who also is a singer.   Papusas sound kind of good, and maybe I'll ask DH out on a date for Sadie Hawkins Day.  Will pass on the red wine, and I'd probably like the drink.  Hard pass on the meal (Debbie @dfish not only the coconut but the curry and cilantro! 🤢)  Not sure yet what will be for dinner tonight, but it won't involve coconut or curry. 😂  DDIL sent me the recipe for the Beef Ragu she made for us a few nights ago -- it was SO good.

We're dealing with the luggage forward rules right now.  Roll call is discussing how we aren't supposed to even pack vitamins and OTC meds (would that include things like Tums???) into the luggage.  We have a bag full of those items and really would rather not have to find space in our carry-ons.  DH will be calling them today.  We understand some of the rules, but others make no sense.  

Today will be a hair cut for me -- only one more after this before we leave for the Grand Australia/NZ.  Getting excited!

We've been to Dublin a few times.   We took a tour along the north coast and to Malahide Castle, and a dinner show that night that was SO much fun.  We also went to the Guinness Factory, and took a shuttle into town and browsed around.

We went to an 11th century tavern and had Irish Coffee

870507986_11thcenturytavernnearDublin.jpg.d008c845a1810348c47c982325204615.jpg

1393849720_11thcenturytavern.jpg.54e5770d927c11f407a90acf44bc41c4.jpg

Malahide Castle

1323280187_MalahideCastle.thumb.jpg.62eda2ab891a00387b8bb05b265bf8ac.jpg

Malahide Castle exterior

Malahide.jpg.641f3b61d9753721078c1ee80f98d460.jpg

Some interior shots of the castle

658827908_interiorMalahide.jpg.147462c2864467482f47b5b651968b11.jpg

bedroom.thumb.jpg.da58c92186f2834cbf5371c3b137cb99.jpg

parlor.jpg.82096b02525497b06374b150c82fa036.jpg

I loved all the flowers in town

Dublin.jpg.e160861d4281d72e4b2e67c3a8d3c0de.jpg

St. Patrick's Cathedral

205993776_St.PatricksCathedral.jpg.b9c904e30492be01ac9200f5e3356638.jpg

861092284_BrazenHead.thumb.jpg.425fecfde959e2d09d56e9621fc1bee8.jpg

No, I didn't drink both 😄

guinness.thumb.jpg.d574cbfabfc5c781277fdaa5674c7409.jpg

Isn't it amazing so many want some Guinness while in Dublin?  LOL  The pub photos look like it's a warm and cozy place to gather.

Annie @marshhawk I am so, so sorry to hear of your terrible ordeal!  The end of the road!  Do they know what it is you had?  It wasn't RSV was it?  I am so thankful to hear you are back home but hope you have an appointment made very soon to get thoroughly checked out.  And wow, about the food and service.  I lost weight once on my one and only Celebrity cruise but perhaps that was a one-off.  Oh my on the British couple getting escorted off the ship.  I've only seen that done twice when the party had stolen something.  They wouldn't kick them off for smoking on their verandah would they?  Sorry Chuck @catmando about Tazi.  What a rude wake up call!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1