Thursday December 14th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Today is More Good Today Day, National Energy Conservation Day, and Roast Chestnuts Day

I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - Beef Cabbage Barley Soup
Drink of the Day - Lemon Tell You Somethin Honey
Wine of the Day - Liberated 2012 Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
Destination of the Day - Visby, Gotland Island, Sweden

Today in History:
1542 Princess Mary Stuart succeeds her father James V and becomes Queen Mary I of Scotland at 6 days old
1911 Norwegian Roald Amundsen's Antarctic expedition is the 1st to reach the South Pole

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Roseau, Dominica 07:00 - 18:00

Koningsdam

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico 08:00 - 13:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Freeport, Bahamas Dry Dock

Nieuw Statendam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Montevideo, Uruguay 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 12-15

Volendam

Loreto, Baja California Mexico 08:00 - 23:00

Zaandam

Roseau, Dominica 08:00 - 14:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination San Juan, Puerto Rico eta 12-19

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Port Chalmers, New Zealand 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Jakarta, Java Indonesia eta 12-17

1214World.thumb.png.66c16330164942c15943189851d969a9.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 18

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

Kazu’s DBIL’s DM with pancreatitis

Niagarawine’s FIL hospitalized with Covid

Cruzin Terri with + skin biopsies and PMR not well controlled

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck not feeling well

Passing of Mr. Boston’s Aunt Roberta 12/10

Passing of StLouisCruisers’ cousin 12/12 from ALS

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Hurricane victims in TN

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

57Redbird recovering from spinal fusion surgery

1Angelcat’s friend Lynda’s DH Bill, on Hospice care, nearing the end

RMLincoln’s niece with high risk pregnancy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Anniversary Sharon in AZ!

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, and on CPAP 

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill with good report from doctor/good bloodwork results

Rafinmd with good report from the Cardiologist

RMLincoln’s travels to TX for granddaughter’s wedding

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Suslor (Rottendam Dec 15 to Dec 22) Eastern Caribbean w/DGS

1 day for Crazy For Cats (Rotterdam Dec 15 to Dec 22) Eastern Caribbean

1 day for Ichiban Nekko (Rotterdam Dec 15 to Jan 5, B2B) 7d Eastern Caribbean + 14d Western/Tropical Caribbean

3 days for Seagarsmoker (Nieuw Statendam Dec 17 to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean)

5 days for St Pete Cruiser (Zaandam Dec 19 to Jan 4, Southern Caribbean Holiday)

7 days for Haljo1935 (Koningsdam Dec 21 to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday)

GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Dec 16) Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez, RedNeckBob(Celebrity Reflection to Dec 17, B2B, Bimini, Grand Cayman & Mexico/ABC Islands), LAFFNVEGAS (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 17, E. Caribbean), Dobiemom (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 17, E. Caribbean), POA1 (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 17, Eastern Caribbean), Av8rix(Koningsdam to Jan 6, 11n Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez + 5n Mexico + 16n Circle Hawaii Holiday), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, 51d B2B2B2B PC Sunfarer + Eastern/Western Caribbean (14n) + Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer (16n)) and Lindaler (Volendam to April 6, B2B) 24d Historical Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez Holiday + Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ voyage)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 15

Good afternoon.

It is currently 43°F and cloudy.

Thank you Rich for today's topics and Vanessa @JazzyV for all of the lists even when you are in so much pain.

More good day sounds like a good idea.

Energy conservation is very important.

Today's quote is excellent.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We went out for breakfast this morning.

IMG_20231214_083555.jpg

• Like 27

Good morning friends!  Another cold 38F morning, but will see sunshine and a high of 59!  Sounds good!  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily.

More Good Today day is a good one to encourage kindness and generosity.  Everyone should try to conserve energy when possible.  I've never had a roast chestnut but today is the day to try it I suppose.  Love the nice quote by Einstein.  I'm sure the beef cabbage barley soup is good for me but doesn't sound like one I'd have as a first choice.  Love the name of the cocktail today!  I'll pass on the cabernet sauvignon.  For the days in history segment, it would be difficult to imagine a 6 day old baby being named Queen of a country but I guess stranger things have happened.  Hurray for Roald Amundsen's expedition being the first to reach the South Pole!  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your great reports each day, and the time it takes to do the research on them.

Prayers for all our CC Daily members in need of them.  Thankful for the good reports but sorry to hear sad news for others including our end of life friends and family and recent losses  Prayers also for the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages being held, as well as US troops in harms way in the region.  Special prayers for DB and friends, plus my cousin's widow Connie.  May he RIP.  

A big cheer for those celebrating happy events in their lives, good doctor reports, and especially the cruisers.  Bon Voyage to all preparing to leave for their cruise.  I know you will all have a super time!  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for taking care of the lists each day.  Praying for you for a solution to your pain and that sleep comes soon.

The port this morning is Visby, Gotland Island, Sweden which you see more and more lately.  This is a brand new port for the Daily.  I am scheduled to visit that port on June 3, 2024 so would love to see some photos and discussion of it.  No links of course.  Thanks in advance for any input you have.

Have a great day everyone.  Today is supposed to be Free Shipping Day so if you do some online shopping I hope you find free shipping.  Stay safe and well!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

The snow squall missed us yesterday, lots of wind but not too much snow.  Hooray for us!

I love More Good Today Day, I try to do that everyday and it seems that most of the participants on this thread do too.🙂

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good for a cold winter's day.  Not sure about the drink, but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

We visited Visby many years ago on a Baltic cruise.  A lovely little island with beautiful gardens and walls, not sure if I can find any pictures to share.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

@Sharon in AZ Happy Anniversary! 🥂

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Lemon Tell You Somethin Honey cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Auchentoshan® American Oak Single Malt Scotch Whisky
1/2 part Honey Syrup
1 part Lemon Juice
3 parts Wheat Beer
Lemon Peel

Instructions
Build in a tall glass or beer stein filled with ice. Stir. Garnish with lemon peel.
(Honey Syrup: 1 part honey to 1 part water, boil and cool before using).

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 6.55.53 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 18

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Dixie, and Debbie for the Friday Junior report.  I won't roast chestnuts but will celebrate the other 2 days. 

I love Einstein's proclamation.  A great anniversary for Antarctic exploration.

I have not been to Visby.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Apricot Soup with Snow Egg, Prime Rib au Jus, and Apple Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam December 14, 2013.

Happy Anniversary @Sharon in AZ.

Roy

• Like 33

Good Morning from a cool and very windy day at the beach

It is currently 68 degrees and going to mid 70`s. Winds are very strong and the surf is very loud and churning. Not a beach day! Some nasty storms are forecasted for this weekend.    

I am scheduled to golf this afternoon but the way it looks now, I will probably cancel.

Have not posted in a few days but I have tried to keep up with the posts. So much going on. My thoughts and prayers are with those that are suffering. Things are always magnified this time of year. Rest and be kind to yourself.

@Sharon in AZ  A very Happy Anniversary to you and DH, May you have many more.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 28

5 minutes ago, Petunia1950 said:

My Navigator app says 2 days, 16 hours, 44 minutes until my journey starts on the Nieuw Statendam.  I *think* I can make it.  It's been a long time coming 😊

That sounds like a nice addition to the Celebration list.  Is it a a single cruise or a B2B?

Roy

• Like 24

Good morning to all,

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.  To Vanessa for the Cares and Celebration Lists and also for including me on the cares list.

Thank you to Debbie, Ann and Dixie in the Food and Beverage Department.

Like the collection of Days.   Every day should be a Good Day.  Energy Conservation is very important.  I love roasted chestnuts, though I have not had them in ages.  It brings back memories of holidays of my youth with big family gatherings.  Sadly all those people are no longer with us and the Holiday Celebrations are now down to just DH and myself.

I will give a pass on the meal and probably on the drink as well.  Might try the wine.  My Baltic cruise stopped in Visby.  Sadly it was raining so hard that we did not get off the ship that day.  If I remember, it is a tender port and that made the decision all the more firm to stay on board.

Today I have to drive Jim to the Dentist and then we will stop at the butcher and supermarket to pick up the few things we need.  Don’t need much after spending a fortune in Costco yesterday.  That was unbelievable.  I won’t have to go there for a while.

Thank you all for the worlds of support in regard to my and DH health issues.  

@StLouisCruisers my condolences on the loss of your cousin.  Sorry I did not post yesterday.

@Sharon in AZ Happy anniversary

@JazzyV I hope you start to feel better.

Today i am still suffering from a headache and joint pains.  Have to get in touch with my PCP and let him know.  So the increased Prednisone is not kicking in yet.  Hopefully soon.  

Hope everyone has a good day.

God Bless.

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good days; interesting quote; pass on the meal, would try the drink & wine; not been to the port; important days in history. 

Cabinmate got roasted chestnuts during a portstop in Spain on our recent NS cruise - she enjoyed them; they looked burnt to me.🤔

Dr pleased w/progress on the frozen shoulder & showed me an exercise to help w/backward movement. Says it's the last to regain and even though I continuously mention it to PT, she has not been working on it; I will now, though. He gave me a shot & ordered an MRI for the other shoulder, still saying it is secondary to the frozen one. I am glad we have a plan.

Today is PT again and work.

Currently 46° headed to 64° with rain tomorrow. 

Happy Anniversary @Sharon in AZ

@Petunia1950 saw pictures of the new library on NS - it looks very nice; enjoy your cruise!

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20231214_062153.thumb.jpg.c2b43728dc9b9eb06a5e1f09d7044c7c.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 30

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It is currently 64 and cloudy, after a night of off & on hard rain. Not sure what today will bring besides wind. We still might get a great deal of rain this weekend- the weather gurus are not sure. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us! Praying that you begin to benefit from your new meds & that next week’s visit to the neurosurgeon gives you a plan for permanent pain relief. 

Gym, Bindi walks, volunteering at my local food bank, and chores should keep me busy. 

IMG_2185.jpeg.2b44124c5777206532dcc6ed5b631607.jpeg

IMG_2176.jpeg.011e5617f74b65803fdee81eba4af076.jpeg

IMG_2201.jpeg.ce20c2f64349cc581ad8ec57bbd433b7.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those dealing with debilitating pain or conditions. Thinking of you & Tana, Terry!

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @Sharon in AZ Sharon & Craig Happy Anniversary!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Liberated 2012 Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon

If you cannot find the 2012 vintage - grab a bottle of the 2013! Not only is it higher rated, it is a few dollars cheaper. I might taste this one, but prefer my Cab in a blend. A few online distributors with online prices starting at $13.99.

Note: the 2013 was given a score of 89 & online prices start at $9.99.

85 Wine Enthusiast 

This Cabernet comes in three different labels, displaying the archetypes of the explorer, the business man and the adventurer. In taste, the wine is smoky and soft, with plum, cassis and dark cherry all making a play. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 7

thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

and thanks to Vanessa, Ann, Debbie & Dixie.

Great collection of days!  More good with kindness & generosity is needed every day as is energy conservation.  I really like Einstein’s quote.  that’s as it should be. We have been to Sweden but not Visby.  

IMG_1798.jpeg.525fe8a8e294b83500ab3e7b8d35df31.jpeg

It’s a cold one today. It wouldn’t be bad if we didn’t have the wind.  The wind yesterday was hard and brutal on our walk.  Hope it is less today 🤞. It’s a small world after all.  Turns out the disabled young man I was assisting with is first apartment set up is the nephew of a good friend of mine who served on the SPCA with me and has sadly passed away.  I know they were very close so now I am looking hard to see what else could be of help.  Bad news is that my DBIL’s DM appears to have more health issues and so far, is not doing well 😢 

IMG_1314.thumb.jpeg.fd2c10aa14534e1090f0e34acec89f95.jpeg

Happy to say that my tree is gone!  I got visited by an angel yesterday - a friend who heard about it.  Since it was skinny he was able to take it down with his reciprocating saw.  All cut up and gone 👍 I had to call my tree guy and apologize.  He was glad I had the help and is still happy to help me in the future - 😥 And it was a LOT cheaper with my friend’s help than if the tree guy had done it 😉 

IMG_1327.jpeg.bb8cb24011ea26ac128b49793f3201d0.jpeg

Ivan and I are going to try to get some stuff done today if / when he tires of fetch.  LOL.

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health problems, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1328.jpeg.c89aa996bcc9ab89cda95d2db6e0e104.jpeg

have a good  Thursday, everyone.

• Like 25
  • Haha 11

Happy Thursday Morning Dailyites!  I am up early because one of the cats chose to barf on the bed in the dark, but mostly on DH's side of the bed, and he wanted to sleep, so he rolled over to my side, and I rolled out of bed.  Who needs an alarm clock?

I was wishing that energy conservation day would have meant i did not have to do anything, but now I have to do laundry.

We are having a dinner guest on the 23rd, and she has indicated that she wants ham for our "Christmas" dinner.  Ok, I have no idea how to deal with a ham, unless it's a Honey Baked ham. They now have smaller hams, but 60 bucks?  Oh well, when DH gets up I will order it, and pick it up on the 21st in the morning, and hope for the best.  In the past, I have ordered one, and thrown more than half out, and that was for a big crowd (another life), so folks, can I freeze leftover ham?  Or should I just hunker down, send her home with some, and eat ham sandwiches for a week?

image.png.cfce094db09cece8336aedbce24c0217.png

image.thumb.png.265d8368e2eb7cd785afd93d41e08eca.png

• Like 18
  • Haha 13

Good morning! Have not been to today’s port of call. We have a lunch date planned for today at a favorite Thai restaurant that we hadn’t been to in a while. Tomorrow we drive over to St. John’s Florida to celebrate daughter’s and granddaughter’s birthdays and will return Monday.
For rest of day we have some errands to do.

@Sharon in AZHappy Anniversary to you and Craig.

Thanks everyone for your contributions to the Daily. Have a safe day. Bruce

image.jpeg.23da7b4dcdd747104afdd1a7f93e3f83.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a4b974c4736205e252bb973ff5261c97.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c07f979627305a1cbd1ac66e170601e9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0c7a9982c6f28a808bbb82cdeb5c2933.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2e6f0fe17629f3c1c765d653cb2d0c18.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5ca00cedee3ebaa042f88fd04fb6a7df.jpegimage.jpeg.6a88e7786da530d1da1edeabc8956ae9.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 21

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It was an early start to the day.  DH thought I was crazy for insisting that we get up at 3 for our 7 am flight.  Turns out I was right, the security line was the longest we have seen at Logan.  It took over an hour to get past security.  There was no time for a drop of coffee before the flight since we got to the gate 10 minutes before boarding started.  The plane departed 25 minutes late but we are now in the air and coffee is in hand.

I’m looking forward to @dfish recipes, I’d like to find new ways to add cabbage to the menu.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

2019 Veendam.
524445BE-C19E-4D0B-B1C8-FD04F9B1D11F.thumb.jpeg.ce9464c24e717222201d66fae63c986c.jpeg

• Like 32