The Fleet Report and Daily for January 6th, 2024

kazu

Today is Bean Day, Epiphany, and I Am A Mentor Day

Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.--Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Meal Suggestion for today - Butternut Squash Pizza
Drink of the Day - Ice Pick
Wine of the Day - Château de Suronde 2018 Grand Cru Chenin Blanc (Quarts de Chaume)
Destination of the Day - Milford Sound, New Zealand

Today in History:
1987 Astronomers at University of California see 1st sight of birth of a galaxy
1649 The English Rump Parliament votes to put Charles I on trial for treason and other "high crimes"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Falmouth Jamaica 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

San Diego, California 07:00 - 15:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 15:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination San Antonio, Chile eta 01-07

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 01-08

Volendam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 01-09

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Cartagena Colombia eta 01-08

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Scarborough, Tobago eta 01-07

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Adelaide, South Australia 14:00 - 08 Jan 23:00 

Westerdam

Hong Kong, China - 17:00

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  It's been raining overnight and should continue this morning for a few more hours.  Temp currently is 40F and the forecast is for a high of 58 with partly cloudy skies the remainder of the day.  Thanks Jacqui @kazu for posting the Fleet Report and Daily this morning.

This date is Epiphany, Bean Day and is not I am a Mentor Day. That will be tomorrow the 7th. Instead I'll add National Cuddle Day so try to find time to cuddle with your loved one or furry friend.  Interesting quote, and here comes the butternut squash again.  I can say for certain I've never thought of putting it on pizza!  The drink today sounds dangerous.  Not sure if I'd like the chenin blanc but would take a sip of it and find out.  A good day for Astronomy but a bad day for Charles I.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today on the food and beverages.

No plans for today except Laundry Saturday.  Yesterday afternoon was a lost cause because there was so much happening on our street due to an Estate Sale.  It was at neighbor Linda's house.  She was the one who lost her husband in that horrific accident in 2022 in Tennessee where their car drove off the highway, went airborne and hit a cement bridge abutment.  She has made a terrific recovery from her broken back and rescued a little dog to keep her company.  In November she listed her home for sale and I believe it is still for sale at the moment, but apparently is ready to move on and is selling unneeded items.  The traffic confusion and congestion here right in front of our home was a bit too much.  I couldn't concentrate on my cross stitching at all.  I hope to get a lot further along today!

Prayers for all our Dailyites and our loved ones who may be in pain, recovering from surgeries or procedures, depressed or in need of help.  Extra prayers for Vanessa @JazzyV.  I'll include some for my DB and DGD and my friends who need my support.  And not to forget those in Israel and Ukraine at war, the lost hostages, and our soldiers and sailors under fire at bases and ships in the region.  I will cheer on those celebrating happy events in their lives like birthdays and anniversaries and especially wonderful cruises.  Enjoy!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping the lists updated with all the busy lives we lead here.  

The destination today on the Daily is Milford Sound, New Zealand.   This was also our destination on March 21, 2022.  DH and I have enjoyed that destination twice before and I have a couple of photos to show you coming up.  Here's the link for your convenience in finding your photos.

I hope you all have a great Saturday and keep safe and well.  Watch out for dangerous, slippery roads and sidewalks during the East coast storm.  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Heavenly Birthday of StLouisCruiser’s sister Nancy

Summer slope awaiting skin biopsy results

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Rafinmd to start radiation for elevated PSA/prostate cancer

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

HAL Sailer’s DH with medical issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Suslor!

Welcome Home Ichiban Nekko!

Welcome Home Av8rix!

Welcome Home Haljo1935!

Welcome Home GTVCRUISER!

Marshhawk’s DH responding to Keytruda

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, on CPAP 

57redbird released by her neurosurgeon after surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for for 

2 days for Kochleffel (Anthem of the Seas Jan 7 to Jan 18) 11d Southern Caribbean

Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer)), Suslor(Westerdam to Feb 3) 28d Philippines, Malaysia & Far East Collector + (Westerdam Feb 3 to Feb 17) 14d China & Japan, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24) B2B2B2B2B Caribbean, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, cruising sister (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11) 128d Grand World Voyage and Aliaschief(Azamara Onward WC to June 9) 156d World Voyage 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Ice Pick cocktail:

Directions:

1.5 ounces Vodka
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
1 cup iced tea

Directions:

Mix vodka, sugar, and lemon juice in a tall glass
Add ice cubes, fill glass with iced tea, and stir

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 7.17.48 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 14

Good Saturday morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Thanks for the maps.

We've got a cold and cloudy day in the forecast.  Very windy too, I'll have to bundle up when I go for my walks.

Interesting days.  I like Cuddle Day, it's cold so I'll cuddle up on the couch and watch TV.

I like the quote.

No to butternut squash, I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  The drink sounds good, hope the wine is too.

I'd love to go to today's port, maybe someday I'll get there.

Prayers for our world. 

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! It is raining lightly, and already 69! What a jump from the last two weeks. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us! I am so happy to read you actually slept for 5 hours! I hope that trend continues. Praying for permanent pain relief for you. 

Zumba, Bindi walks, chores, dinner at a friends - all will be complicated a bit, if the severe Tstorms that are predicted actually show up. 

IMG_2344.jpeg.ef431fd5be546ff986992c80cb4dde96.jpeg

IMG_2338.jpeg.e4c2b6ac9119c0ff5c678a853515c969.jpeg

IMG_2207.jpeg.944d38b81a54f280f3598b55cc2c2456.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those suffering from debilitating pain and conditions. And those grieving the loss of a loved one.  Thinking of you & Tana, Terry. I am really glad that I am not up in New Hampshire this weekend!

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Château de Suronde 2018 Grand Cru Chenin Blanc (Quarts de Chaume)

I thought for sure my decoder ring would become obsolete, so I am thrilled it is still relevant. Not sure how many Dailyites enjoy sweet wines, but this sweet wine is also biodynamic- so that might change the sweetness aspect a bit. And it gets high ratings from critics & consumers alike. I would taste it, just to try it. Not really a fan of sweet wines. But it is a bit elusive, and way outside of my budget. Online prices start at $80.00!

Distributor notes

Drinking Window: 2022 - 2042

Elegantly luscious, this biodynamic Quarts de Chaume has incredible vibrancy, purity and drive, with transparent aromas of nectarine, orange peel and glazed pineapple supported by refreshing acidity. The flavour depth of the botrytised grapes rest on a mineral framework that will support many years of beautiful development.

Wine Enthusiast 93

Decanter 93

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 2

Milford Sound, New Zealand photos

On December 18, 2013 the Diamond Princess made its way into Milford Sound for some scenic cruising.  Unfortunately it was not the best weather but you make the best of it.  Some of our crew were out and about and I thought this was a cute photo of them.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2Dn_xDjzgvzyI8JQCTz1c?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388708110

This was what the morning looked like for the most part.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK1G8prx20t6zbRRLSldqWE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388710662

To get a better look, I'll move on to the Sun Princess Milford Sound visit on Nov. 29, 2017.  Entering Milford Sound.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIwxLURt6Q-nRgSX9pAQ44-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621029

It was interesting to see the rings of clouds surrounding some peaks.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJJaa8heAM3qKYeo1g_YhmP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621040

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKmxU649KSOGLdTcdEm5KK9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621108

I must say it was pretty cold out on the decks with the ship's movement and the chilly air giving you quite a wind chill factor.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlLkttjiEhqIDkLEFPwbac?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621197

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQrd2AUxhTGCWjhtThUK3Z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1647868366

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_HDWjIWS4kMiaDB1uIo1f?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513621272

From there the ship sailed through Thompson, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds.  I think Milford was my favorite.  This is the type of weather you dream of when scenic cruising but we take what we can get!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

South Georgia Island January 6, 2017

Continuing my cruise report with Jan 6, 2017- Seabourn Quest Antarctica-South Georgia Island

Today began at Salisbury Plain on the north coast of South Georgia Island.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

It has the second largest breeding site of King penguins.  Literally 500,000 King penguins.  Then there are seals, both elephant and fur seals.  The penguins stood shoulder to shoulder, sort of like a rock concert crowd.  Crazy!  Look carefully – that dark grey color running down the hillside to the water is penguins (and probably some seals).

We were supposed to land on the shore starting at 6 am but at 5:45 that famous Captain of ours announced (in our cabins!) that due to the waves breaking at the shoreline they would be unable to land but instead we would do a Zodiac tour of the shoreline.  The poor blue group got the worst of the draw today, too because we were last.  By the time we went it was spitting snow out there, not large flakes but pellet-like snow.  Just before we boarded one man fell halfway into the water due to the swell tossing the Zodiacs around at the loading platform.  He was fine, but they gave the rest of us a refresher course on how to lock hands onto the arms of the loading personnel.  The trick is to lock your grip around your helper’s forearm, while they lock their grip around your forearm.  If you were to grab each other’s hands, they might end up with your glove in their fist if you were to start to fall into the water.  So we had at least three people helping us into the Zodiacs after that.  We had no problem and away we went to the shoreline to see the penguins and seals.  I have never seen more penguins together at one time in my life!

from the Seabourn video

These predatory birds are called northern giant petrels (or Halls giant petrels), and were busy feasting on some poor penguin or seal.

I wish I knew what the lineup was for.  Haven’t they heard of social distancing?

That’s better.  Now we need to work on wearing a mask!

At the end of our ride the decision was made to get the Zodiacs on board quickly so we could leave the area because bad weather was moving in between South Georgia and Montevideo.  Our Captain (who used to introduce himself on Prinsendam at the noon announcements as “the disembodied voice from the bridge”) as well as Ice Captain Larsen and the rest of the bridge team were ever vigilant in watching for bad weather.

Heading in we got a good look at the rear “marina” feature.  I know they can fold that door out and have a deck for water sports like swimming, kayaking and jet skis in warm weather climates.  The starboard Zodiac crane can be seen here.  There’s one on the port side, too.

Here’s what stacked Zodiacs look like.

For the life of me I can’t figure out who all the people in the blue parkas are.  Everyone was given the orange Seabourn parkas to wear, so having all those blue parkas on those Zodiacs confuses me.  The Expedition Team wore red or yellow parkas.

When we left South Georgia it was rather sunny, but the bad weather was ahead of us.  That afternoon I spent time with my knitting and stitching friends in the Observation Bar where I worked on a counted cross stitch Christmas stocking; what else?  Is it time for champagne yet?

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good morning Daily-ites from the beautiful Rotterdam, at sea for a few days heading towards Curacao. 

@Sharon in AZ we have been enjoying the cruise, just getting homesick for our little Oliver. He's in love with my girlfriend and follows her everywhere. 

4783.thumb.jpeg.212fc37883baad83088808de26fbc9f5.jpeg

Thank you Jacqui,  Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Lenda and Sandi for the Daily travel photos.

My prayer book has added my niece and fiance having Covid, and a friend taking several falls yesterday. Prayers lifted for our Daily friends and family. 

Debbie I don't know how you'll make a squash pizza sound appealing! 

I'm not sure about the quote. I'll need to ponder it.

So far we have received 10 150th Holland America coasters this cruise. I've given 6 away. I think we will get 2 more before we disembark. We have a stack of them at home and I'm wondering if I should give the rest away or turn them back to the ship.

I gave the room stewards the 8 canvas bags back but got another 2 waiting on our bed at embarkation yesterday. 

Wishing all of our cruising friends fair winds and smooth seas.

20240104_064204.thumb.jpg.c98bd8439e410e97bff8f62625109727.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Happy Saturday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Expecting some snow today. Should not be too bad. Eventually the rain will come and wash it away. Fancy won't like it as she is a diva and does not like precipitation of any kind. 

Not much planned today. Just relaxing today. 

277 days until my cruise!

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.0dbf09ca090af6809ab9bd441aa402e4.png

• Like 30

Apologies - I just realized I left Sunday off the title and too late to edit 😔

@Suslor Bon Voyage!  Have a great cruise and a WONDERFUL time !!!!

• Like 19

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the mention of my DD DS Nancy's heavenly birthday.  I think of her constantly and appreciate you remembering her too.  ❤️

Ann @cat shepard I'm glad to hear the secret decoder ring is still working well.  It does come in handy some days!

Graham @grapau27 I see by your posted explanation of I am a Mentor Day that you agree that it will be celebrated tomorrow.  Plenty of time to get ready for it!  I see you're having cold weather over there today.  You need to get out of there and head someplace warm!  😉  Have a good weekend!

Joy @Seasick Sailor prayers for an easy time with Covid for your niece and her fiancé, and your poor friend taking several falls yesterday.  Hope they are unharmed and not too sore from it all!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. We had a busy day after embarking. All bags arrived and one still needs to be unpacked.There is a total of 530 guest onboard on this first segment to Lima. Today is a sea day as we sail to our first port of call Cozumel.

Enjoying our coffee outside at Sunset Verandha were we enjoyed a red ball sunrise.

They have a busy day scheduled for those on full voyage. Guest Lecturers and tonight is Captain’s welcome and guest tenors will entertain us. 
Temps in 80’s and sea has a slight chop enough to know your cruising.

Roy thanks for taking our departure picture.

Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

image.jpeg.33beb8a6a47a3b142b289bb4c7d281cb.jpegimage.jpeg.bbe38f4c1867a245302461a735b66e93.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1d69875c82348216b4f738f6a403ab29.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9590e534ee7a21abfbf591be0902162f.jpegimage.thumb.png.c54674153072a023457121183af839b1.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.ed44c9f02a47c758ac71d5b8b1417e41.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, kazu said:

Apologies - I just realized I left Sunday off the title and too late to edit 😔

@Suslor Bon Voyage!  Have a great cruise and a WONDERFUL time !!!!

Thank goodness you left Sunday off the title!

It is Saturday. 😎

• Like 7
  • Haha 18

7 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank goodness you left Sunday off the title!

It is Saturday. 😎

OMG I meant Saturday.  😂 

• Like 7
  • Haha 19

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cold, gloomy day so far here in mid-Michigan.  According to the forecast we are supposed to get some snow, but it looks like not until tomorrow.  Last night's Farkel party was a lot of fun.  The Salisbury Steak Meatballs from Thursday got rave reviews. I used the first recipe and finished them in the slow cooker.  

Today I am going out with a neighbor to deliver the flyers for the neighborhood winter/holiday party.  Sue and I are hosting the party this year.  This is a neighborhood tradition that goes back to 1987.  I look at it as a good way to get to know the neighbors better.  

Just when you thought it safe, butternut squash rears its head again.  I would have thought that we exhausted all possible uses of butternut squash, but apparently not.  I'll be passing on it due to the carb load, but some may enjoy it.  Especially this first one with rosemary and bacon. Bacon makes everything good.  You can also use pancetta.   https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/rosemary-roasted-butternut-squash-pizza/

butternutsquashpizza1.thumb.jpg.f1be67d092ba170e42830fe306c7f662.jpg

It does look pretty good, doesn't it?  This next one sounds interesting with roasted garlic and goat cheese.  I love garlic.  https://www.theendlessmeal.com/butternut-squash-pizza/

butternutsquashpizza2.thumb.jpg.f781029033828ba6dea91876bb69c0c1.jpg

Our last version uses "ribbons" of squash.  It says it is easier because you don't have to cook the squash first.  They don't mention that it will take 6 hours to peel all those ribbons off a hard squash.  But, the caramelized onions, Swiss chard, and burrata make up for it!  https://www.feastingathome.com/butternut-squash-pizza/

butternutsquashpizza3.thumb.jpg.4dcc3a302c0477be82d3ce8292d69538.jpg

I hope this finds all our travelers well.  Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 14

Good Morning,  thanks for the daily fleet report and not skipping Saturday.  😀  Two major chores for today.  The first is getting the car inspection, 25,000 mile checkup and a new battery.  The car is just over 5 years old and the service guy was surprised by the low mileage.  The second chore is getting ready gor the snow storm.  DH will check the snowblower while I wait on the car and then a trip to Aldi.  I don't see me leaving the house tomorrow except to move snow around. 

I hope that everyone has a nice day today. 

• Like 27

Posted (edited)

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

We hope to add cruising Milford Sound during our planned 2025 trip to Australia and Japan.

Our snowstrorm of up to 6"  for today seems to be a bust. Just rain and freezing rain instead.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 26

38 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

South Georgia Island January 6, 2017

Continuing my cruise report with Jan 6, 2017- Seabourn Quest Antarctica-South Georgia Island

Today began at Salisbury Plain on the north coast of South Georgia Island.

It has the second largest breeding site of King penguins.  Literally 500,000 King penguins.  Then there are seals, both elephant and fur seals.  The penguins stood shoulder to shoulder, sort of like a rock concert crowd.  Crazy!  Look carefully – that dark grey color running down the hillside to the water is penguins (and probably some seals).

We were supposed to land on the shore starting at 6 am but at 5:45 that famous Captain of ours announced (in our cabins!) that due to the waves breaking at the shoreline they would be unable to land but instead we would do a Zodiac tour of the shoreline.  The poor blue group got the worst of the draw today, too because we were last.  By the time we went it was spitting snow out there, not large flakes but pellet-like snow.  Just before we boarded one man fell halfway into the water due to the swell tossing the Zodiacs around at the loading platform.  He was fine, but they gave the rest of us a refresher course on how to lock hands onto the arms of the loading personnel.  The trick is to lock your grip around your helper’s forearm, while they lock their grip around your forearm.  If you were to grab each other’s hands, they might end up with your glove in their fist if you were to start to fall into the water.  So we had at least three people helping us into the Zodiacs after that.  We had no problem and away we went to the shoreline to see the penguins and seals.  I have never seen more penguins together at one time in my life!

from the Seabourn video

These predatory birds are called northern giant petrels (or Halls giant petrels), and were busy feasting on some poor penguin or seal.

I wish I knew what the lineup was for.  Haven’t they heard of social distancing?

That’s better.  Now we need to work on wearing a mask!

At the end of our ride the decision was made to get the Zodiacs on board quickly so we could leave the area because bad weather was moving in between South Georgia and Montevideo.  Our Captain (who used to introduce himself on Prinsendam at the noon announcements as “the disembodied voice from the bridge”) as well as Ice Captain Larsen and the rest of the bridge team were ever vigilant in watching for bad weather.

Heading in we got a good look at the rear “marina” feature.  I know they can fold that door out and have a deck for water sports like swimming, kayaking and jet skis in warm weather climates.  The starboard Zodiac crane can be seen here.  There’s one on the port side, too.

Here’s what stacked Zodiacs look like.

For the life of me I can’t figure out who all the people in the blue parkas are.  Everyone was given the orange Seabourn parkas to wear, so having all those blue parkas on those Zodiacs confuses me.  The Expedition Team wore red or yellow parkas.

When we left South Georgia it was rather sunny, but the bad weather was ahead of us.  That afternoon I spent time with my knitting and stitching friends in the Observation Bar where I worked on a counted cross stitch Christmas stocking; what else?  Is it time for champagne yet?

The blue jackets are crew. They all have an opportunity to go on the zodiac tours and landings at some point if they wish. One of our waiters in the DR got to go twice in Jan/Feb 2023 and was so excited. He did stand in line for several hours to await the opportunity both times. They go only after everyone else.

Too bad you were unable to land at Salisbury Plain. The first time there, we could not but were able to land nearby at a spot that was not as populated, but a wonderful way to spend Christmas Day! I'll post a picture of that area as well as one or two from Salisbury Plain where we were able to land on our last trip. South Georgia is amazing!

From near Salisbury Plain........

NearSalisburyPlain(53).thumb.JPG.2d6d33f1e0d9af8f81d85612fdb2927f.JPG

Salisbury Plain with a couple hundred thousand......TheSalisburyPlain(32).thumb.JPG.a0bf2459195b3a758f9d09550d84deac.JPG

It was a bit muddy!TheSalisburyPlain(77).thumb.JPG.5cbd986419ca363c48a6db12a9dde721.JPG

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  Today is one of my 8 hour work days.  My left hip has been hurting just to sit, so it's going to be a long day.

Lovely rain all night.  However while it put me to sleep, it didn't keep me asleep.  Even DH is up early. And work starts in an hour, for me anyway.  I'm wondering if the pizza has butternut squash on it, or is the squash replacing the dough?

image.thumb.png.e643eb8b57679fbfe13f45f7caf97900.png

I will have to wait for @dfish to inform us.

I will have to take down Christmas today.  Bobbagingee has guarded the artificial tree since we put it up. He will have nothing to protect now.  I heard the howling of the coyotes this morning. Yesterday our friend who works at Taqueria del Sol told us that in Decatur, there are less cats around and more coyotes wandering the streets.  (this is a major town).

I did call the place that we wanted to rent in October on Thursday.  I left my message, but no one has called back yet.  Now I'm wondering if I left my phone number.  I guess I will look up the email address and re address my request.

Not much going on here, it is 39 degrees and the computer says temps will drop...

Bubbles infection cyst finally burst yesterday.  I dont think it made him feel better, he is eating less than two days ago , he hissed at me last night.  But it is the first sign in days of his normal behavior.

image.thumb.png.2bfa72896173ba1f6489247fa3d59857.png

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily, no matter what day it is!  Beans, hmm, an unusual thing to have it's own special day.  Maybe I'll have green or yellow beans today.  In our family January 6th has always signified the end of the Christmas season, so any decor I have put out will find it's way back into the closet by the end of day.  Any day is a good day to be a mentor for someone. Sometimes we become a mentor without even realizing it by our actions around others.

We finally got some snow yesterday - it began around mid-morning and continued through the afternoon.  Around 5 our snow removal fellow showed up and took care of all of it for us.  DH said he felt he should have been out there helping . . . right.  I was just glad someone else was taking care of it for a change.  We aren't expecting any more in the next few days, but the temperatures are going to remain cold - and getting colder through next week - so what is on the ground should stay at least. I'm sending good wishes to those on the East coast who will be contending with another blast; stay safe!

@SuslorBon Voyage; enjoy your cruise!

Last night I found instructions on how to crochet a toque (beanie), so instead of working on a blanket, I crocheted a toque.  Problem is, I made it too large for either DH or me, and I put it together so well that it's almost impossible to take apart, so it will go into the donation bag and hopefully will fit someone with big hair!  Maybe I'll stick to knitting toques, as I don't even have to think about them when knitting, it's all muscle memory.  And they fit.  LOL

Not a lot happening here today, just general housekeeping, and then around 1:30 we're meeting our friends for brunch.  These are the friends we are still hoping to cruise with in February, so I'm sure most of the conversation will centre around travel.  When we get home, it's time I go through my "cruise tub" - a large Rubbermaid tub with all things related to cruising in it - to see what I can take out for our use. 

I think I'd like today's drink - it sounds like adult iced tea!  I'll pass on the white wine, and will definitely walk on by the meal suggestion.  DH mentioned the other day it's time for a rotisserie chicken, so after we finish our brunch, we'll stop at the grocery store and pick one up.   Later tonight we'll enjoy rotisserie chicken sandwiches at the kitchen table.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 29