Steward locked wife on veranda!!

LB_NJ

After he finished making up the room he locked the Veranda door WHILE my wife was out there!

Luckily she had her phone with her and was able to message me. 

That happened to my sister and I years ago. We still laugh about it . We were in port, so just called up to people a a deck above us who were out on their balcony. They called the front desk, who called the steward. 

Felt bad for the steward, he was so very upset. 

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

After he finished making up the room he locked the Veranda door WHILE my wife was out there!

Luckily she had her phone with her and was able to message me. 

I can't imagine this.  Verandas are not that big.  Was she hiding under one of the chairs? LOL

• Haha 5

We had that happen to my husband and I years ago. He had cleaned our room, said goodbye and left. We didn't notice he locked the door, probably out of habit. Neither of us had our phones. We had to yell to the people above us, which lucky for us was where the buffet was. A lady heard us and said I will go get help. Then she asked us if we wanted her to throw us a banana in case we were hungry(it was breakfast time). Security, our room Stewart and the hotel manager came to our suite. They were all so apologetic but we just laughed and said we were fine! They continued through out the cruise to check on us! 

Edited by lv2cruisgrl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Winemaker_1 said:

I don't think this was possible in our recent cabin on Silhouette.  The sliding door handle mechanism worked from both sides.  We closed it from the outside routinely to prevent the whistling sound.

Yes I'd be interested to know what ship this was on, S class ships sliding doors don't have locks that could do that, at least I don't remember any.

On the apex sunset veranda there is only a locking handle on the inside.   Had not see this on a veranda.   Actually discussed with room steward about getting locked out.  She said she checks to be sure no one is outside.  Also noted that there is a sign next to door that says no A/C if the door is not locked.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Yes I'd be interested to know what ship this was on, S class ships sliding doors don't have locks that could do that, at least I don't remember any.

Correct… we always have 3 sunset veranda cabins in a row… with the partitions open you can walk next door and just open the slider from outside. Have not had this issue on any class of ship… maybe different door styles in various locations?

51 minutes ago, ijscheer said:

Just an aside here - On Ascent, our Sky Suite (one and only time) balcony door had the usual handle lock and an additional deadbolt lock.

I was curious if the suites had the handle on the outside to lock/unlock the sliding veranda door.  

We had a crazy one-up of this. I enjoy sitting on the balcony in the early morning hours with a good book, some hot coffee and buttery croissants. I was doing just that on the first of 3 sea days on Infinity one lovely morning when DH decided to come out and join me. Using a bit of muscle (maybe more than a bit) he pulled the balcony door shut behind him with a very loud screech.  Before I could stop him, the door was shut and locked with both of us in our robes and no phones. We were traveling by ourselves, so no one would miss us. When we stopped laughing, we realized our dilemma. After about an hour we heard our next door neighbor come out to their balcony and asked them to alert our cabin steward to rescue us. She promptly did so and spent the remainder of our time on board laughing at as each time she saw us. Needless to say, we're now super careful about the balcony doors each time we go out there. 

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

We had a crazy one-up of this. I enjoy sitting on the balcony in the early morning hours with a good book, some hot coffee and buttery croissants. I was doing just that on the first of 3 sea days on Infinity one lovely morning when DH decided to come out and join me. Using a bit of muscle (maybe more than a bit) he pulled the balcony door shut behind him with a very loud screech.  Before I could stop him, the door was shut and locked with both of us in our robes and no phones. We were traveling by ourselves, so no one would miss us. When we stopped laughing, we realized our dilemma. After about an hour we heard our next door neighbor come out to their balcony and asked them to alert our cabin steward to rescue us. She promptly did so and spent the remainder of our time on board laughing at as each time she saw us. Needless to say, we're now super careful about the balcony doors each time we go out there. 

Up- oh, we're taking our first cruise on Infinity. Did rhe door lick because of how hard he shut it or because it automatically locks when tbe doir closes,? That seems insane. I can see us both going out there to watch the sun rise but would hate to have to remember not to completely shut the door

1 hour ago, gfkcruiser said:

I was curious if the suites had the handle on the outside to lock/unlock the sliding veranda door.  

Our SS had no handle on the outside..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, melusina said:

Up- oh, we're taking our first cruise on Infinity. Did rhe door lick because of how hard he shut it or because it automatically locks when tbe doir closes,? That seems insane. I can see us both going out there to watch the sun rise but would hate to have to remember not to completely shut the door

It was totally because of how hard he shut it. He pulled it closed behind him with the handle in the locked position! Don't worry, the screeching sound will be a warning lol!

This happened to my wife and I on our last curise.  We were on our balcony while the steward was cleaning the room.  He stuck his head out and let us know he was finished and we sat there for a while watching the people go and come down the gangway.   My wife got up to go in the room and found the door locked.   I managed to get the attention of a crew member on the pier who contacted someone onboard.  Our steward came and opened the door for us.  He was so embarrassed and kept apologizing profusely.  He said that locking the door was so automatic he did not even realized he had done it.  We were just happy it did not happen on a sea day.  Who knows how long we would have been stuck out there. 

Our steward locked us on the balcony on our Oceania cruise. It was on embarkation day and I'm not sure he knew we were there. We called to someone else who was on their balcony and they sent someone to help.

This happened to me on Viking Ocean. I can't really blame my room steward as I had been watching the sunset and hadn't bothered to turn the light on afterward, so I was just sitting outside in the dark. I heard the lock turn though and immediately started knocking on the door, and he heard me and let me back in. Disaster averted.