The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 3rd, 2024

kazu

Good morning. It will get to 60 later and is now sunny and 48. We are all caregivers in this house and it can be exhausting. I agree with @cunnorl, Charlene, that it is also very rewarding and certainly shows me daily what is really important.

I have not been to the port and will pass on the soup. Caring for ears and our hearing is very important.

@0106, Tina, Bon Voyage to you both!

I was so glad to read that baby Murphy is home and glad they have nursing assistance . 
@cat shepard, Ann, I am sorry to read about your DS’s significant complications and hope she can improve. It is great that she is eating real food. It is very hard to watch those we love go through these things. 

We have a busy day here but the general mood improves greatly with abundant sunshine. Dinner tonight will be bean and cheese enchiladas which is always welcome.

Enjoy the day wherever you are.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone!  Thanks for the Daily Reports and maps Jacqui and Roy.  Quote is typical for Woody Allen.   We have not been to today's ports but thanks in advance for the photos and thanks for yours Sandi.   I will pass on all three comestibles.   Butternut squash is back after a brief hiatus.   We are have tenderloin and a 2005 Malbec from Catena Zapata that we paid a lot for in 2008.   We had a couple of sad bottles on the last cruise so I need to work on drinking some prizes earlier.  I never got a chance to ask the Cellar Master on the Eurodam if all the vibration from the engines and rough seas could have affected our last two bottles we brought on.  

@JazzyV I am happy to read you are getting some relief from your procedure.  I am sad you had to wait so long for treatment.   Very good news about Baby Murphy.   Prayers for everyone on our care list and those in war zones, Ukraine and the innocents in Gaza.

It is a beautiful day here with brisk south winds,  John did the heavy lifting and emptied the truck out yesterday so I am going to store all more cruise clothes which have been sitting by the stairs.  Once that is done I will start my spring plant sale happy work bringing some or all of the plants behind the garage to the sunny pad behind the other.  Have a lovely Sunday!   Nancy 

• Like 22

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  Currently it's 50 degrees and cloudy.  When I turned on the computer the weather block said "limited visibility".  I thought it was an eye test, as  I had to put my glasses on to read what it said.

Today is farmers market day.  Since @dfish taught me how to roast veggies, DH and I try to get a new veggie every time we go to the market.  I also need to catch up on the F2 and F3 races that we missed not watching yesterday as I was working.

@grapau27Thank you for Father David

@cruising sister  How nice to read that Baby Murphy has gone home.

DH's surgery is at 8 am on Tuesday.  We have to be there at 6 am  which means that I need to get up by 4.  The hospital is not far away,  but my stomach is not a morning person.  And @catmando is not a morning person at all.  I'll get him up, but he will probably be back asleep, before they put him under. 

I scoured the program information from Fridays concert, and saw that there is a free "with registration" cello concert-Bach under the stars at our local planetarium featuring Zuill Bailey.   How fun!  I registered yesterday  It's not until April 20th, but something I will love.  I used to go to the planetarium every Saturday Morning for the "Whats in the sky this week" talk and show.  Things I did in my "singlehood".

Have a great day everyone!

sunday-memes-8-1.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I would enjoy having a choice of 33 flavours, but not today.  A huge shout out to all caregivers; it isn't easy and there's very little respite from it.  Many times we don't realize we are being caregivers, we just think of it as an act of love.  We should all take care of our ears, hearing is so important.

@cruising sister What wonderful news about Baby Murphy, our little warrior!  Prayers for her continued progress!

@0106 Bon Voyage - wishing you a wonderful cruise and will look for you at sail-away.

Does anyone want a winter storm?  We're firmly ensconced in one right now.  It began yesterday and is expected to continue until tomorrow morning.  Yesterday morning I phoned our older neighbours down the street to see how they were and if they had everything they needed in advance of the storm.  She told me that her husband had not been well the day before, so she wasn't able to get out for her groceries, but thought they'd be okay and could make do with what they had.  I asked her what I could bring and she said if we had some extra bread and eggs, that would be it.  Well, that spurred both DH and I into action - we got our storm clothes on, fired up the SUV, put it in 4 wheel drive and off we went.  We hit up the grocery store, then stopped at Tim's to grab some hot coffee and also some Timbits for the gas station attendants, made a stop for gas, delivered the groceries and some extra treats for our lovely neighbours, and came home.  Just as we were coming into the driveway, a delivery guy was dropping off a book I'd ordered off Amazon, so I spent nearly all afternoon reading instead of doing what I'd planned.  

Looking outside this morning you can't see where the 3' drifts on either side of the driveway are, as the entire area is filled with snow.  Our neighbour was out twice last night clearing his driveway, and I'm sure we'll hear his snowblower going any time soon to clear it again.  According to the radio we've had 27cm (11 inches) since yesterday morning and are expecting another 21 (9) today.  That, combined with the wind have made all roads in and out of Saskatoon impossible, so the highways are closed, something that doesn't happen often, here on the "frozen tundra".

Although I abhor snakes, I would try today's drink, but would think of a different name for it.  I'm not sure about drinking vermouth straight, but you never know!  Pass on today's menu suggestion, but thanks @dfish for the effort.  I mentioned making a small pot of chili, well, you know how that goes - we're having leftover chili and buns at the kitchen table again tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in wars.  Cheers to all who have celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️
Gerry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

I'm wondering about the quote today, was it regarding him, or a line from a film?  I think he explored this idea in Midnight in Paris.  When the main characters believed they were born in the wrong  time.  (one of my favorite films for the soundtrack).

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Interesting collection of days  - ears are important and I think they deserve celebration. Pass on the quote and meal, maybe the drink, would try the wine, not been to the port.

I have a facial at noon then a little work to do.

Currently 63° headed to 81°. Rain still expected mid week.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 🙏

20240303_074631.thumb.jpg.98e92fd45d82d670359054376b3f5809.jpg

• Like 18

I don't understand 33 Flavors Day: it's supposed to refer to Baskin Robbins, but they advertised 31 flavors. Howard Johnson's advertised 28 flavors.

I was hoping that we were done with butternut squash. I like ginger ale but wouldn't order the drink. I was going to say that there was no Finger Lakes vermouth, but there is, from Method Spirits. It's scarce away from NYC but the big liquor store here stocks it.

I need to shop at both Wegmans and Aldi, but I don't have the mental energy to shop at both in the same day. For some outdoor maintenance, I checked on whether my reciprocating saw was charged. It wasn't. Not only was the battery not inserted into the charger correctly, but the charger wasn't plugged in.

meatgreet.jpg.77fd7f6a9a76055be9cff077d9d1653c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 13

Good morning from a cool and already windy Quartzsite.  It is 55F with a predicted high of 69F.  Right now, our wind gauge is showing 7.1mph, but I think it is more likely 10+mph.  Later this afternoon, the prediction is for 21mph.  Because of the cooler weather today, (I know it's all relative) our plans to go to Yuma and Algodones have changed to next Sunday, when it will be in the upper 70s and lower 80s.  We'll have to a grocery run tomorrow for a few essential things.

Three good days to celebrate.  I think the 33 flavors refer to this being March 3 or 3/3.  Caregivers are to be treasured, and I know that some of you are a lot better caregivers than I have been.  I will honor all the caregivers on The Daily.  Ear care is important.

The quote today is rather sad.

We'll skip the butternut squash soup.  The drink sounds interesting, but not the name.  We'll pass on the wine today.

We have not been to Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands, but we have enjoyed Las Palmas and Grand Canary Island.  Thanks for the great pictures Sandi @StLouisCruisers and Graham @grapau27.

There are four important days in history to celebrate, but I think the discovery of insulin and Anne Sullivan's work with Helen Keller are the most important days.

@Lady Hudson  Welcome home, Katherine.

@cat shepard  Ann, I was sorry to read about your sister's lung complications, but I think she is where she needs to be for a few more days as she regains her strength.  Sending positive thoughts for a full recovery for her.

@ger_77  Gerry, it was so nice of you and your DH to brave the elements to help your neighbor, and to bring treats to the gas station attendants.  I also made a small pot of chili yesterday, and we'll be having leftover chili today or tomorrow.

@marshhawk  Annie, I agree that Midnight in Paris is a wonderful movie.  Best wishes for Chuck's @catmando on Tuesday.

425369382_929713049158897_4441362108231030771_n.jpg.6ec4c5da8f2d901758225b136c6efdda.jpg

427991247_889582143166632_6202190484444892278_n.jpg.a16ce3892b7ea5ef46e1c299ae1f1cbd.jpg

428619233_372274499071204_4675488511229735462_n.jpg.f0e7fbbb5b3de0ccdb475ae368d5fe2a.jpg

429853982_876325564294853_2737101970413526194_n.jpg.5a3a7af85d28e0cc3d909af337b8c764.jpg

430081768_122117249228213786_2208055430921488955_n.jpg.b2109794a619470ff1641eab078dbc9f.jpg

430684671_817258633559213_7606415170733669650_n.jpg.fd4b336f2dedeba027be09752e1a13e8.jpg

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 13

Posted (edited)

Good morning Dailyites. A beautiful day in Georgetown!

So happy to hear of Baby Murphy's Homecoming! Vanessa I keep praying you will have less pain. Ann, hoping your sister has a complete recovery. Prayers lifted to all on our Daily list. 

I am a caregiver to my husband but never feel I am. I want my sweet husband to have all he deserves in our life. He is a true hero to our country and to me. 

Yesterday was busy. We went to the farmers market, then lunch. I had a huge platter or crab, shrimp, potato and corn on the cob. I ate everything except the last 6 shrimp. It was delicious. Pictures are on my phone, I'll share one on an edit.

20240302_122304.thumb.jpg.d93223737cbdb9a6fe3e7e283bdf30ee.jpg

The birds are eating and singing away at the feeders this morning. Our weather has been warm and I worry our returning hummingbirds will come early and be hungry so made a few containers of sugar water for them.

Lenda, love the cartoon on the service animal. 

Yes we must take care of our ears and our hearing. Very vital to me.

image.png.ce68a85f4946bd86273544f74933a346.png

image.png.661a01909ce749eb45828fae6ac28f4b.png

Wishing you all a blessed Sunday. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add on
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny morning. It’s going to be a beautiful day.

What wonderful news about Baby Murphy ❤️🎉. She truly is a fighter.

Still no posting from @Crazy For Cats. I hope he is okay. I miss his cat memes.

Today is the official start of the Iditarod. Prayers for a safe race.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

I messaged him on FB and am waiting.  It said he had just been active there, so maybe he's just taking a break or they are traveling?

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie, how would Sue like another little chipmunk friend?  We could trap and send him up to you two.  Though he might be unprepared for really cold weather so you might have to invite him inside.  😂

I'm thinking not.  It definitely won't get in the house!   LOL

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Definitely more trouble going through a third party site but it eventually worked out thanks to due diligence in checking/calling the hotel.  We used the hotel shuttle lady for a ride to the ship both times and she gave us her card.  Avanti Shuttle (Debora Rojas) 954-655-1376.  It wasn't too high for a ride to the ship.  Uber can't be much either since it's so close (we don't do Uber since it's been practically non-existent in our county).  We will look for you at sail away.  What color are you wearing?

ValueTrips was no trouble.  They took my credit card when I reserved but was not charged until I arrived at the hotel.  The hotel shuttle was $15pp,   was on the Uber app , it was as going to be $16.  A cab pulled up, we said, how much to the port.  He said $20 and we hopped in.  Now waiting in the terminal.

I will be wearing White, my friend Navy Blue.  We will be waving to you from our aft balcony at Sailaway.

Thank you to everyone who wished me Bon Voyage.

@dfishIf I was home, I’d make the butternut squash soup tonight.  You all know I like butternut squash🤣

• Like 21

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

Good Morning from Ft Lauderdale!  It’s wonderful to be in warmer weather.  We are at Hyatt Place on 10th Avenue, one block off 17th.  It is a nice hotel that I booked through ValueTrips because of the price.  (There are many pilots and flight attendants at the breakfast bar which I always think is a good sign.). We walked to the Boatyard for dinner last night.  Excellent setting next to the intercostal, excellent seafood but a bit pricey.  Plan on Ubering to the Nieuw Statendam about 10.  I did request a wave for Sailaway.  We will be on deck 5 in an aft cabin. 

Wishing everyone the best possible Sunday.

Bon Voyage ! Cabin 5200 by chance we will be there on April 7th ! Have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s report.  It’s been a very busy work week with way too many zoom/google meet/teams meetings.  Helping customers deal with the cyber attack has been very taxing.  While Change Healthcare is their third party many blame us and demand we resolve the issue.  We are working on helping them but it takes time.  This attack will have some long lasting implications.  
This week I did manage to get DH’s military benefits applied to all our open bookings.  I went to show him an excursion for August and HAL says no upcoming bookings and I have zero Mariner points.  Ugh!

CC updated their web page and now the hamburger menu does not appear on my tablet to select boards.  Must type in boards.cc.

Yesterday I did an early shopping trip, leaving at 6:15, to get items that aren’t available close to home.  That afternoon Mona and I took a nap.

Today I’m catching up on some chores I couldn’t get to during the week.

@1ANGELCAT and @dfish thanks for checking upon me.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Dailyites, Bon Voyage @0106!  I hope to be here to watch sailaway.  I have requested-a-wave for our departure, too, on April 7.  It has always worked out very well when I've done it.  

We visited Arrecife ten years ago, on the Maasdam's Atlantic Adventurer, we loved that cruise!  Lanzarote is very interesting and volcanic, I see I took 3 posts to talk about it last time on the Daily.  We have to head out for church shortly, so I'll wait until we get back to review.  Actually, we only drove through Arrecife, so I enjoyed the pictures of the big city today!  That whole cruise seemed to be volcanic, our Cellar Master, Miguel, had fun bringing on interesting wines.

I'll say a prayer for you all at church.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, 

It's a cloudy cool day here (low 40's) and snow is in the forecast but nothing like @ger_77 and the frozen tundra!

Yesterday my plans to have a quiet day at home went out the window when my DD DH's sister called and wanted to meet up. So, I met her and her husband at the new Goodwill store in Sedro-Woolley and wandered and then we went out to lunch. On the way to the restaurant the heavens opened up and we had hail! Now, I'm not talking little hail. Think the size of blueberries, pearls, grapes, etc. It came down in torrents like the cloud had been unzipped! It was rather scary. The road was white and slushy and my car thermometer said 43F. 

I got to the restaurant and we had a very nice lunch. I brought home a lot of the fries and 1/2 a pulled pork sandwich so have at least one more meal. Coming home the roads were slushy and by the time I got home it was 34F and snowing. I didn't realize how tense I was driving until I went to text my sister-in-law and son that I was safely home and I was shaking. We had snow for at least another hour and the ground is covered so you can't see my moss which is my predominant green. More snow predicted tonight and tomorrow morning then a few good days and rain. 

Today the plan, such as it is, includes staying home, making lemon cookies, and watching the ships sail away. We'll see how that goes!

Karen

• Like 22

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily @kazu, @richwmn and maps @rafinmd.

I'll celebrate 33 flavors if it's ice cream. Caregivers deserve to be celebrated every day, for the tough job they have. Ear care is important to prevent hearing loss from too loud sound. I don't agree with the quote (typical Woody Allen). The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Arrecife. 4 good days in history; I'll especially celebrate the discovery of insulin, which kept Type 1 diabetics alive (and they made no profit for it).

It's cloudy, but 60F already! Yesterday I got a good bit done in the DR, but I'm waiting for a delivery of china felt separators, as I ran out. My knee is protesting somewhat from being on my feet a lot, but it's wonderful to be able to do it. I slept pretty well, but had some pain from awakening on my back, and a bit of numbness. Today I'll continue in the DR. I have swags and jabots on the windows in my fairly formal DR, but they are 30+ years old, dusty (I don't vacuum them like I should 😲) and somewhat faded from the sun. My colors are aqua and I can't find anything to replace them, without going custom. I'm not going to pay that as I'm already planning to send out my DR chairs to be reglued and seats recovered. I thought I had maybe something left over, since in my first house I dressed 2 sets of large windows. I went upstairs to a storage closet and found a whole set looking new! Woohoo!

My friends from the UK are coming back over this week again for hockey. It seems soon since they were here in November, but I realized while they're here it will be my friend Ruth's heavenly birthday. Her Mom will be here, along with a family friend, while her Dad can't travel and will remain in the UK.

@0106 Bon Voyage Tina! We'll look for you on sailaway.

@Lady Hudson Welcome home!

@cruising sister Thanks for the great update on baby Murphy! I know the family must be delighted, even though there may still be some challenges. 

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for mentioning National Anthem Day. Lovely photos from Arrecife. 

@cat shepard I pray your sister makes steady progress; eating well and getting rest will go a long way in helping. Did she have any idea about the diaphragm and lung issues before this?

@kazu Sorry to hear about another storm coming. The people I use for donations have been emailing me it seems almost every day, asking if I have anything; but I need to get more stuff together before I schedule a pickup.

@dfish I've made the Skinnytaste version of the soup, and it's quite good.

@smitty34877 Well wishes for getting through the weekend. For me, sunshine makes everything more tolerable. Your meal sounds yummy.

@ger_77 Sorry to hear about your weather, while many of us are having temps above normal. That was wonderful of you to think of your older neighbors. 

@Sir PMP Nice photos.

@grapau27 Thanks for sharing your photos.

@Seasick Sailor Such sweet sentiments about your DH and you.

@Crazy For Cats Thanks for stopping in Jake. We worry, you know. Sorry work has been so taxing due to that cyber attack.

@luvteaching That does sound scary. I'm glad you made it home safely.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish I've made the Skinnytaste version of the soup, and it's quite good.

Happy to hear that!  Thanks for the feedback.   I could just hear the groaning when I saw butternut squash, but it is so good for us.  @kochleffel Paul, you will just have to bear with us.  

• Like 11
  • Haha 4