The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 16th, 2024

kazu

38 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Wishing a happy St Patricks Day to all tomorow Jim. Sheila an Me will celabrate as we be Married 63 Yr.

Happy 63rd wedding anniversary tomorrow Jim and Sheila.

612T1Z+JnaL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Happy 4th Anniversary to the Daily. I appreciate all the dedicated posters.  I particularly enjoy the recipes and the port pictures.

It was a busy day in Half Moon Cay as the NS and the Rotterdam shared the island.  We are currently sailing toward Ft Lauderdale, 13 days have flown by.IMG_7103.thumb.jpeg.08201fb543f78a399b1f6b840ec7a62a.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

@cruising sister Thanks for the picture of Murphy.  She certainly is a cute little lass.  

@Haljo1935 We all need to rant once in a while.  Each incident may not seem like much, but they all add up and to occur on the same day?  No wonder you want to scream!

@irishjim Welcome back!

@RMLincoln I'm glad DH's pressures are good!

@marshhawk what a great philosophy of life!  Thank you for sharing it.

@grapau27 When I hear of Sarah and the estrangement with her parents, I think of how lucky she is to have you and Pauline take her in as your own.  I hope that Sue and I can have that same effect for River as she has been abandoned by her father and her mother is sitting in jail.  And she may be in and out a lot as time goes on.  

I went back and read a few more Daily threads from April of 2020.  What a hard time that was.  People were still hoping to cruise that summer.  I remember the difficulty people had getting home.  I read the book about the Zaandam and it was so sad what happened with some of the crew members and passengers.  

That reminds me that we never did find out what happened with St. Louis Sal.  I know she was having trouble walking the last we heard.  We know we lost KK Krazy Kruizers and Sail7Seas posted a few times and then dropped off.  

Thank you Debbie.

River is also blessed to have you and Sue in her life.

• Like 16

Posted (edited)

I took Pauline out for dinner as she is still upset.

We are taking Sarah out next week.

Pauline's starter was a coronation chicken which she said was delicious.

IMG_20240316_182711.jpg

IMG_20240316_182724.jpg

IMG_20240316_184347.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Isaac Newton once famously said, 'If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.'

Y’all have said some very nice things about me today, and I am truly honored. But, to be very honest, the Daily would not exist without the foundation provided by @LAFFNVEGASLisa and I believe @luvstotrvl, who provided the information before me.

Like those before me, my original intention was just to post the location of the fleet each day, and that lasted, according to @rafinmd Roy’s post, just short of a year. Then the world was thrown into chaos. The ships were all over the place, trying to find a safe harbor. At the time, I was just trying to provide a little content to keep the report interesting. I believe Roy has a list somewhere that chronicles when each feature was added, I’ve written it down a couple of times but never can find it.

In addition, this thread would not be what it is without the daily efforts of what is lovingly called ‘the Food and Beverage Department’. That would be @dfish Debi, @cat shepardAnn, and @summer slope Dixie who manage to come up with descriptions of whatever I happen to come up with for a meal, a wine, and a drink of the day. We also have @StLouisCruisers Sandi who does the pictures and descriptions of the ports each day. Again we have Roy who is currently posting the fleet maps, and also started the Care List, currently maintained by @JazzyV Vanessa. We also have @kazu Jacqui who is a constant backup, and each of the people who have taken over for the various prime posters during the times that we are lucky enough to be on a cruise.

It would be impossible to thank individually each Cruise Critic member who has ever posted on one of the Daily threads so please accept my thanks for their contribution to these threads.

I also thank those who I have met and have been privileged to be on a cruise with.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 12

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Happy St Patrick’s Day!  Early for you all. A pic of baby Murphy to brighten your day. Thanks for all the prayers. IMG_7773.thumb.jpeg.e591110ab645b23fa5a35b698c5cc703.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

OMGOSH!! Just precious!! look at that smile and such sweet eyes! GOD BLESS HER!

🌺🌺🌺🌺Aloha Baby Murphy!

• Like 19

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Happy St Patrick’s Day!  Early for you all. A pic of baby Murphy to brighten your day. Thanks for all the prayers. IMG_7773.thumb.jpeg.e591110ab645b23fa5a35b698c5cc703.jpeg

She is gorgeous!  Thanks for sharing 🥰

• Like 15

So much activity this day!

@irishjim,so glad you posted. Happy 63rd Anniversary!

@cruising sister,Thanks for the beautiful picture of Murphy

@Haljo1935, I switched  to another pet type company that starts with a C and they carry the heavy bags up the steps. I drag it into the house which is easier than the car thing. Sorry so much went wrong.

@marshhawk, thank you for telling us how you do it. I admire your spirit.

@dfish. I know I have mentioned this before but those who help when we are young are never forgotten. My brother and I only two weeks ago at ages 70 and 75 were wet eyed remembering my aunt and grandmother. Sending hugs.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Isaac Newton once famously said, 'If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.'

Y’all have said some very nice things about me today, and I am truly honored. But, to be very honest, the Daily would not exist without the foundation provided by @LAFFNVEGASLisa and I believe @luvstotrvl, who provided the information before me.

Like those before me, my original intention was just to post the location of the fleet each day, and that lasted, according to @rafinmd Roy’s post, just short of a year. Then the world was thrown into chaos. The ships were all over the place, trying to find a safe harbor. At the time, I was just trying to provide a little content to keep the report interesting. I believe Roy has a list somewhere that chronicles when each feature was added, I’ve written it down a couple of times but never can find it.

In addition, this thread would not be what it is without the daily efforts of what is lovingly called ‘the Food and Beverage Department’. That would be @dfish Debi, @cat shepardAnn, and @summer slope Dixie who manage to come up with descriptions of whatever I happen to come up with for a meal, a wine, and a drink of the day. We also have @StLouisCruisers Sandi who does the pictures and descriptions of the ports each day. Again we have Roy who is currently posting the fleet maps, and also started the Care List, currently maintained by @JazzyV Vanessa. We also have @kazu Jacqui who is a constant backup, and each of the people who have taken over for the various prime posters during the times that we are lucky enough to be on a cruise.

It would be impossible to thank individually each Cruise Critic member who has ever posted on one of the Daily threads so please accept my thanks for their contribution to these threads.

I also thank those who I have met and have been privileged to be on a cruise with.

Rich, I will further the history a bit. I started the Where’s the Fleet in 2005 or 2006, I had just started doing the Web Cam Wave from the Oosterdam out of San Diego. Because we frequented that ship became good friends with the Hotel Manager James Deering who actually encouraged me to start the Where’s The Fleet, he provided me with a pdf file for the fleet, he and other HAL Officers assisted in getting me this for several years. 
what is nice is that Tom and I are still good friends with James Deering and were able to sail with him last week where he is the Hotel General Manager on Windstar Wind Surf. 
Just over 30% of Officers and Crew on that ship are former HAL employees including the Captain. It really felt like being on HAL 18 years ago. 

IMG_5772.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

@cruising sister Thank you for the precious photo of Murphy!

@RedneckBob Here you are!

image.thumb.png.81e66183b2c6bbb178d19ae1ea359f75.png

@richwmn I copied the timeline Roy had posted.

April 27, 2019: Rich puts out feeler on Fleet Locations but had no takers

April 28, 2019: Rich’s first Fleet Report

March 16, 2020: First appearance of “The Daily” with addition of notable days

Other milestones in the Daily:

April 5, 2020: First Meal Suggestion and quote

June 23, 2020: First wine suggestion

July 9, 2020: My first sunrise

July 10, 2020: First care list

July 27, 2020: First wine review by @cat shepard

August 5, 2020: First alternative meal

August 8: 2020 First shoutout list

September 1, 2020 First Drink AND Drink Review

December 26, 2020: Dailyite Meet and Greet on Zoom

January 27, 2021: Debbie’s first meal review

January 31, 2021: First Destination of the Day

January 18, 2022: Father David’s first sermon on the Daily

June 19, 2022: First Fleet Report and Daily

Roy

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 9

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Well, here goes another attempt, and I hope it works without any glitches.  🤞

The Black Press was very important especially when the first Black publication was started.  I'm glad everything is right today.  Freedom of information is extremely important; otherwise, we cannot make informed decisions.

The quote is sad but too often true.

The air fryer rotisserie chicken sounds wonderful.  I've made rotisserie Cornish hens in the air fryer, but not a chicken.  It would be a tight squeeze.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds like a winner.  There is an open box of Black Box Cabernet Sauvignon in the house. 

We have been to Moorea many times beginning in 1996 on Wind Song where we had a wonderful dinner on the open deck including a whole roasted pig.  We were anchored in one of the two bays.

Today in 1792 was not a good day for King Gustav III of Sweden.  It was a good day in 1867 when Lister first published his finding on antiseptic surgery.

@grapau27  Graham, as always, thank you for the information on the black press.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope the Chicago weather cooperates, and the FC Dallas wins.  I hope Ren has a good game.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm sorry your help did not show up today.  It's sad that Tana finds walking so difficult, but it seems she is a fighter. 

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I'm glad you had an easy time checking in for the cruise.  It's nice they have cookies and drinks for you while you wait.  Scary about the shooting so near your hotel.

@MISTER 67  Glad you had a good day on the course yesterday.  

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope Tigger learns quickly, and is accepted by the other cats.

@aliaschief  Bruce, it sounds like your cruise is becoming a mystery cruise.

@grapau27  Graham, the change in Sarah's dad eight years ago is so sad, and I know both Sarah and Pauline are hurt by the way they have been treated.  Hugs to both of them.

@ger_77  Gerry, I love the remote meme.

431004187_781990790619055_93510404497310327_n.jpg.3457247fb07afde542a8f6c951b93141.jpg

431692232_390037700324678_2635839418466976555_n.jpg.7ed80c83f87ace2914719b566dcbd585.jpg

432281503_1578443203010555_6729098411728562025_n.jpg.d8406cde131ac8818dfebfcebfce8159.jpg

432377556_401244629162539_9129638648888770436_n.jpg.da1528040914370261ecdb429f5b42ca.jpg

432380724_402257462394589_7672141721845964964_n.jpg.21187989f2ced767b31823871e74cb15.jpg

432458943_393369056790426_5168382651102402940_n.jpg.b0a69bc5a820f03134fed1d1dd74f69a.jpg

Lenda

Thank you Lenda for your nice words.

Your photos are superb.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good afternoon from FLL. Thank you all for the congratulations; this was a tremendous cruise in many ways. 

Sad to go home but time to plan what to do with my free cruise and prepare for my next one which - right now- is October. Will see what the surgeon has to say on Wed. 

Bon voyage to those sailing today. Hugs to those with trials and tribulations. Have a great day everyone!!

Pennie, safe travels home.  I hope the surgeon has some good news and plans for you on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, irishjim said:

Wishing a happy St Patricks Day to all tomorow Jim. Sheila an Me will celabrate as we be Married 63 Yr.

Jim, an early HAPPY 63RD ANNIVERSARY to you and Sheila.

31 minutes ago, dfish said:

@cruising sister Thanks for the picture of Murphy.  She certainly is a cute little lass.  

@Haljo1935 We all need to rant once in a while.  Each incident may not seem like much, but they all add up and to occur on the same day?  No wonder you want to scream!

@irishjim Welcome back!

@RMLincoln I'm glad DH's pressures are good!

@marshhawk what a great philosophy of life!  Thank you for sharing it.

@grapau27 When I hear of Sarah and the estrangement with her parents, I think of how lucky she is to have you and Pauline take her in as your own.  I hope that Sue and I can have that same effect for River as she has been abandoned by her father and her mother is sitting in jail.  And she may be in and out a lot as time goes on.  

I went back and read a few more Daily threads from April of 2020.  What a hard time that was.  People were still hoping to cruise that summer.  I remember the difficulty people had getting home.  I read the book about the Zaandam and it was so sad what happened with some of the crew members and passengers.  

That reminds me that we never did find out what happened with St. Louis Sal.  I know she was having trouble walking the last we heard.  We know we lost KK Krazy Kruizers and Sail7Seas posted a few times and then dropped off.  

Debbie, I remember one of the last posts from St. Louis Sal where she said it was getting difficult to host friends and prepare something to serve them.  I also think by then she was in her motorized chair.  ALS is such a horrible disease that steals your body away bit by bit.  I wish either @St. Louis Sal or someone in her family could give us an update.  In spite of her illness, she had such a positive attitude and tried to live life to the fullest.  Her last post was on another thread on June 29, 2022, and her last post on the Daily was June 17, 2022.

19 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Rich, you are too modest.  Even with the wonderful foundation for the Fleet Report, the Daily would not have evolved without out your determination and ideas, and the Daily would have not lasted and become the wonderful caring and sharing place we all love.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

I have to go to work in 10 minutes, but wanted to respond to @RMLincoln-how do I manage the constant ups and downs?

If life was all ups, then we wouldn't know that it was.  If there are downs, then we can appreciate the ups, and we understand others who are "down"  If it was all downs, then we wouldn't think that life can be different at any moment.  The goal is to accept them, the ups the downs as they come along.  And to remember, that life is good, but it is always changing.  And now off to sell tickets!

Annie, I love your philosophy.  Without the highs and lows, joy and sadness, life would be pretty boring.

17 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

So much activity this day!

@irishjim,so glad you posted. Happy 63rd Anniversary!

@cruising sister,Thanks for the beautiful picture of Murphy

@Haljo1935, I switched  to another pet type company that starts with a C and they carry the heavy bags up the steps. I drag it into the house which is easier than the car thing. Sorry so much went wrong.

@marshhawk, thank you for telling us how you do it. I admire your spirit.

@dfish. I know I have mentioned this before but those who help when we are young are never forgotten. My brother and I only two weeks ago at ages 70 and 75 were wet eyed remembering my aunt and grandmother. Sending hugs.

Terry, I agree with you about Debbie and Sue being so important in River's life, and she is lucky to have them.  I still miss my grandparents and parents who were such a big part of my early life.

13 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Rich, I will further the history a bit. I started the Where’s the Fleet with in 2005 or 2006, I had just started doing the Web Cam Wave from the Oosterdam out of San Diego. Because we frequented that ship became good friends with the Hotel Manager James Deering who actually encouraged me to start the Where’s The Fleet, he provided me with a pdf file for the fleet, he and other HAL Officers assisted in getting me this for several years. 
what is nice is that Tom and I are still good friends with James Deering and were able to sail with him last week where he is the Hotel General Manager on Windstar Wind Surf. 
Just over 30% of Officers and Crew on that ship are former HAL employees including the Captain. It really felt like being on HAL 18 years ago. 

IMG_5772.jpeg

Lisa, thank you for the added history of the Fleet Report.  It was nice that so many HAL officers also helped back then.  Great picture.

7 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@richwmn I copied the timeline Roy has posted.

Roy

Vanessa, thank you for sharing the picture of @RedneckBob.  I noticed that he forgot his usual mask.  A big thank you for sharing the time line of the Fleet Report and the Daily.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

What a special day!  Thank you @richwmnand @LAFFNVEGAS for originating this happy safe place!  Thanks to ALL who participate and special thanks to @kazu @rafinmd@dfish @summer slope@cat shepard @JazzyVfor all their contributions!  

I discovered it too at a crazy time in my life, we had to cut our time in Hawaii short so I could have cancer surgery amidst the early days of the pandemic.  I appreciate all the kind sharing and the wonderful supportive community.  

@cruising sister thanks for the beautiful photo of Baby Murphy! 
@Haljo1935 it’s great that we can share good and bad! 
@marshhawk such wise words today!  Thank you!  
@irishjimnice to hear from you! Congratulations on your 63 anniversary tomorrow!

Bon voyage to those heading off!  

our little house guest has headed home, now we can rest.

IMG_1106.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I took Pauline out for dinner as she is still upset.

We are taking Sarah out next week.

Pauline's starter was a coronation chicken which she said was delicious.

IMG_20240316_182711.jpg

IMG_20240316_182724.jpg

IMG_20240316_184347.jpg

May god love and comfort you all   at this time in your lives JIM

Sending love an hugs to you.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

OMGOSH!! Just precious!! look at that smile and such sweet eyes! GOD BLESS HER!

🌺🌺🌺🌺Aloha Baby Murphy!

This beautiful little girl has come a long way and mad God keep blessing her.

Jim.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, irishjim said:

This beautiful little girl has come a long way and may God keep blessing her.

Jim.

• Like 8

@cruising sister OMG, what a sweet little leprechaun our dear little Murphy is!!!

@Haljo1935go ahead and rant; it sounds like you've had a heck of a day.  I do have a suggestion with the toothpaste thing, though.  I keep my travel toothpaste container and keep refilling it from my big tube.  It takes a bit of work, because you have to make an air pocket in the receiving (little) tube, but squeezing out of the big into the little is quite satisfying - until it starts coming out of the top and ends up all over your hands when you're not paying attention.  LOL  I usually use my travel size tube about 3 or 4 times before replacing it entirely.  Failing that, you can use a small travel bottle (the kind you'd use for lotion with the little nozzle) and fill it with toothpaste.  Just a thought.

@irishjim Happy 63rd Anniversary to you and your DW for tomorrow!  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@richwmn I copied the timeline Roy has posted.

Roy

40 minutes ago, richwmn said:

@JazzyV

Thanks for posting the timeline. I copied it again but most likely will lose it again.

I have one item that I feel should be corrected.  I've gone back to check and the first destination of the day was on March 1, 2021.  Up to that point some of us would post photos when a place was mentioned, or a retired ship was thought about and photos shown.  It was post #3 on March 1, 2021 when @richwmn said "Since we have been treated to pictures of various places, I thought I might add a "Port of the Day" for discussion. Today would be Georgetown Grand Cayman Island.  What do y'all think?"

I started my port spreadsheet and have kept it up ever since.  So it will 3 years in just a few few weeks!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

@richwmn and others, I appreciate the comments today giving me a peek behind the Daily curtain. I have often wondered how it started and how things are chosen. 

on the anniversary, I will inquire as to my other burning questions….

how do you decide the food, drink and quotes of the day? Do the “helpers” have an advance preview so they can research the info they post to complement the daily?  How far in advance do you plan? Do you keep a spreadsheet for each day to keep track and avoid duplicates? And finally when there are guest originators, like Jacqui while you are traveling, do they choose daily items or have you already planned it out?

Many thanks to all for the time and effort to produce a daily feel-good message board that helps comfort, amuse and connect people around the world!

• Like 14

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Ann, Debbie, and Dixie for the March 2024 hump day report.  Three great days to celebrate.  I think the quote is sad but true.

I visited Moorea twice, Crystal Symphony in 2018 and Crystal Serenity in 2020.

One happy day in history and one sad.  The meal sounds nice but I won't make it.  My alternative is Chilled Bannana Soup, Classic Caesar Salad, Broiled New York Striploin, and Apple Streusel as served on MS Prinsendam March 16, 2019:

dishes16.jpg

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

@grapau27 and @dfish.. Graham and Debbie 

I grew up in a dysfunctional family. My mother went to parts unknown when I was 15. My dad remarried 8 months later. I couldn't live in the environment. Abuse, groundings, my stepmother had serious issues. I moved in with a family that charged little rent and I had 2 good jobs. I graduated and got a great job at Bank Americard in Chicago, and year's later working for Hughes Helicopters,  McDonnell Douglas, Boeing. 

I look back on those years now and I'm pretty proud of myself.

I wish I had a Graham/Pauline, Debbie/Sue to get me through the tough times. God bless all who have stepped forward.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Ready2go11 said:

@richwmn and others, I appreciate the comments today giving me a peek behind the Daily curtain. I have often wondered how it started and how things are chosen. 

on the anniversary, I will inquire as to my other burning questions….

how do you decide the food, drink and quotes of the day? Do the “helpers” have an advance preview so they can research the info they post to complement the daily?  How far in advance do you plan? Do you keep a spreadsheet for each day to keep track and avoid duplicates? And finally when there are guest originators, like Jacqui while you are traveling, do they choose daily items or have you already planned it out?

Many thanks to all for the time and effort to produce a daily feel-good message board that helps comfort, amuse and connect people around the world!

I'll give a quick answer, then a more complete one. Yes, the helpers have advanced lists so that they have the information available. Everything other than the fleet locations are already planned thru the end of the year.

The more complete answer. For the most part I am solely responsible for the content of the Daily. The lists come from searches such as best wines, best meals etc. Last October / November I spent quite a bit of time getting these lists together. I did the searches and sent preliminary lists to each of the helpers and asked for comments. Debi requested that I not use meals from some sources because they are more difficult to link to. Sandi and I went back and forth a bit about which ports to use. I think Ann sent me a link to a list of wines. Once everyone was at least moderately happy, I loaded the information into a database, which generates the Daily each day and publishes it to halfacts.com/daily.  If I'm not available to post it in a timely manner, than Jacqui or one of several other people do the posting, and are welcome to add / change things if they want.

For what it is worth, I found a list of about 1000 quotes so that part is set till some time next year.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for the quick and thorough reply!  If anything, it makes me appreciate the effort from you and all others that contribute even more knowing the prep involved. 

ps enjoying your Volendam trip report…. Even on vacation you are not taking off. 😁

• Like 14