The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday April 23rd, 2024

Today is English Language Day, English Muffin Day, and Impossible Astronaut Day

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.--Oscar Wilde, De Profundis

Meal Suggestion for today - Sheet-Pan Sesame Chicken & Broccoli with Scallion-Ginger Sauce
Drink of the Day - Campari Spritz
Wine of the Day - Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta 2020 (750ML)
Destination of the Day - Kona, Hawaii, US

Today in History:
1968 1st decimal coins issued in Britain (5 & 10 new pence, replacing shilling and two-shilling pieces)

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera eta 04-24

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada eta 04-26

Nieuw Amsterdam

San Diego, California 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira Island Portugal eta 04-25

Noordam

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island 08:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

Naples, Italy 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Brest, France 10:00 - 18:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Newport RI, Rhode Island eta 04-24

Zaandam

San Francisco, California 07:00 - 24 Apr 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Takoradi, Ghana eta 4/27

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Aomori City, Japan Aomori 09:00 - 19:00

• Like 16
  • Thanks 21

Good morning friends!  It's 41F and clear this morning.  High will be 73 and abundant sunshine later on.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmd for the fleet location maps, and to Rich @richwmn for today's Daily content.  I celebrate the English language and English muffins, and think Impossible Astronaut Day is an odd one.  I don't care for the quote, and am not in the mood for sheet pan chicken.😜  Let's just wait to see what the cocktail and wine are before any decisions are made.  It was a big change for English people and their coins in 1968. Thanks to the reporters today, Debbie @dfish,  Paul @kochleffel and Ann @cat shepard with their F&B reports.

Prayers for our Care list individuals and their family/friends in need of them.  I see that Vanessa @JazzyV made it home after a longer, more difficult surgery than thought, and hope she is sleeping in and has a quick and easy recovery.  We're praying for no pain once the healing is done!  Good luck and many prayers for Richard and Maureen @RMLincoln with his surgery today.  Hope Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando are doing okay, best wishes for Terri and Jim @Cruzin Terri, and a good consultation for Roy @rafinmd yesterday.  Waiting to hear some good news for Maurice and Gerry @ger_77!  Prayers for DB, twin Linda, great nephew Alex's twins, and my dear friends.  Also for Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in harm's way.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for agreeing to keep up the lists, and take however much time you need for it.  Let us know if we can help in any way. ❤️ 

I send congratulations to those celebrating anniversaries and birthdays today, especially Annie @marshhawk who is turning 70 years young today!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Also to the cruisers in our group, and hope Dixie and George @summer slope, Jacqui @kazu and friend Debbie, and Colin and Ellen @VMax1700 are enjoying theirs.  The list of cruisers is too long to name you all but we've been cheering you on all along.  And welcome to the Daily @shadow 123 !

The destination today is Kailua, Kona, Hawaii.  This was the port three times before on May 30, 2022, Nov. 5, 2023 and Feb. 23, 2024.  Here are the links to back then for your convenience in obtaining your previously posted photos.

Hope everyone has a very good day, and try to stay safe and keep well!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

We visited Kona twice, in 2007 on Diamond Princess and in 2017 on Maasdam.

On Dec. 9, 2007 we stopped in Kona on a Diamond Princess Hawaii cruise, our first trip there.  We had an outrigger canoe shore excursion planned so tendered to shore with time to spare.  The view when we arrived on the dock.

And the lagoon on the opposite side of the dock.  Our tour would leave from here.

Seated on my side of the outrigger.  It wasn’t an ideal place to take photos once we were away from shore so I don’t have many.

One of the few photos taken during that tour.

An hour later we stopped at this restaurant for a refreshing beverage

In 2007 we saw the Hulihe’e Palace which is a museum but a former home of Hawaiian royalty.

9.5 years later we visited on Maasdam and it looked like this.  A whole new color scheme and roof color

More photos from our April 2, 2017 visit on Maasdam.  The lagoon again on the side of the dock.

This time there were kayaks there.

As you leave the dock this is the main road along the shore looking towards the Hulihe’e Palace Museum and the MoKuaiKaua Church, established in 1820.

The former BHB Maasdam

The last time I saw Kona

A great place to visit in Hawaii.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

A bit cooler this AM at 59, a high of 80 this afternoon with lots of sunshine.

Good selection of days

I don’t agree with the quote.

Not sure about the meal.

Believe it or not but we have never been to Hawaii.

Not a golf day but we are still up early as we heading to Quest for a 6AM appointment for our annual blood work.

It was cart paths only on the golf course yesterday with a lot of walking, I had a nice round going but my arthritic knees gave me problems late in the round and I bogeyed the last 5 holes.

Scottie Scheffler did it again winning the RBC Heritage Classic, it’s still early in his career but this guy might be on his way to being the best golfer ever.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30

Posted (edited)

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for today's daily fleet reports and Roy @rafinmdfor the fleet location maps.

It is sunny and currently 8°C.

3 very English days today.

English muffins are nice with butter and jam on.

I don't like the quote.

I remember our old currency pre 1968.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240423_101312.jpg

Screenshot_20240423_101356.jpg

Screenshot_20240423_101443.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 15

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DSIL in hospice care

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with HTN, stroke, brain swelling/surgery

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye surgery today

Haljo1935 eye procedure today

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness – post surgery 4/22

Cruzin Terri's decision to cancel the trip to Italy

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, on maximal oxygen

Ger_77’s DH Maurice needing heart valve replacement

Nickelpenny with leg numbness and pain; surgery in May

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 70th Birthday Marshhawk (Annie)!

Happy Birthday Cunnorl (Charlene)

Smitty34877’s NH family visiting

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Haljo1935 (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) 16d North Pacific Crossing + (May 12 to May 19) 7d Alaska (celebrating birthday on board)

Summer slope (Disney Wish to Apr 26) 4d Bahamian cruise with DGS & his parents, Lobsternight (Koningsdam to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse & Circle Hawaii, ORTravelGal (Rotterdam to May 4) 21d Atlantic Isles, Norway, Scotland, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, The Atlantic Coast), AncientWanderer (Westerdam to Apr 27) 14d Japan Discovery + (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, Kazu (Volendam to May 4) 13d The Atlantic Coast, Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, VMax1700 (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 14d Canary Island Allure. Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 20

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam, currently off the  north west coast of Spain.  The Bay of Biscay was very kind to us this time.

Screenshot_20240423_115834_VesselFinder.thumb.jpg.cd1f595a2c02bd26cfcc3cbd61b6341f.jpg

Graham @grapau27 i believe the reference to Dr Who is incorrect. S1 E1 would have been 1963 and not series 6. I remember it well with William Hartnell as the doctor. To me he always was and will be 'the doctor'. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Finished with the treadmill and a few exercises afterward, ate breakfast and now checking the Daily.  Good to see Vanessa @JazzyV has posted and thank you for all the new information.  Hope you are resting comfortably.😑

I see it's also Charlene @cunnorl's birthday so happy birthday to you and many happy returns of the day!

Elizabeth @Haljo1935 somehow I missed your eye procedure today so I send best wishes and fast healing to you, since I see you are off on a cruise in only 4 days time.  The cruise sounds like a good one so early Bon Voyage wishes for you.🚢  Enjoy your birthday celebration onboard the Westerdam!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and cloudy here, with a chance of showers.  Oh well, at least it's not snow.

Interesting days.  I'm not a Doctor Who fan.  The English language is fascinating and always evolving.  I like English muffins toasted with honey.

Thought provoking quote.

The meal sounds good.  I'm sure the drink is tasty, hope the wine is good too.

I've never been to Hawai'i.

Prayers for our world.

Have a lovely day.  Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Greetings everyone from Japan.  I hope all are doing well.  Glad to see that @kazuJacqui was able to make her trip, and even has enough oomph to do a “live from.”  😊

The Westerdam is delivering the goods here in Japan.  We’ve had great excursions, quite good food, and wonderful service.  And blessed with sunny skies.  And…perfect timing for the cherry blossoms.  Happy campers.  Here are a few photos.

Shirakawago from Kanazawa port stop

IMG_9632.jpeg.77276d791b0badb831ab5885bb8cc843.jpeg

Hirosaki from Aomori port stop

IMG_9836.jpeg.7ccddb1015a5b8fb276e7fd3f26c20b1.jpeg

And a pretty darn lavish Asian dinner in the Lido

IMG_9923.jpeg.a20c43e22b9ed2cf51b937d8fb1fa1f0.jpeg

IMG_9915.jpeg.913a30cccc1d61b03626b330a7a73303.jpeg

IMG_9912.jpeg.1650d1403fdc3b27156f0c88d4d3d943.jpeg

IMG_9927.jpeg.66077da47f28e648e3b942264e50250c.jpeg

IMG_9920.jpeg.4cec9b5d8bcc705d4a3ebab3064c38c8.jpeg

Wishing everyone a best possible day.  Many thanks to the Daily team and all contributors.   ❤️

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports.

Today is primary election day in Pennsylvania. I voted by mail thinking I would have jury duty. Sunny and warm today. High of 67. We did have a freeze warning last night. Working on a few projects today and then grading assignment. Should be a relatively easy day. Hope to get outside and enjoy the sun. 

Happy birthday to @marshhawk and @cunnorl

Image result for Happy birthday cat memes

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Best Tuesdays Memes - Cheer Up Your Day With Some Funny! | Good morning ...

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam, currently off the  north west coast of Spain.  The Bay of Biscay was very kind to us this time.

Screenshot_20240423_115834_VesselFinder.thumb.jpg.cd1f595a2c02bd26cfcc3cbd61b6341f.jpg

Graham @grapau27 i believe the reference to Dr Who is incorrect. S1 E1 would have been 1963 and not series 6. I remember it well with William Hartnell as the doctor. To me he always was and will be 'the doctor'. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

Hi.

Although I'm not a Doctor who fan I got the information from 3 different sources.

I hope your enjoying your cruise and the Bay of Biscay is kind to you.

Screenshot_20240423_122129.jpg

Screenshot_20240423_122209.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9

Thank you Sandi, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

My recollection of first watching the "Doctor Who" series was Jon Pertwee. The local PBS station had bought the rights and it was on TV late Sunday evening. But my favorite (like many) was Tom Baker playing the fourth Doctor. "Yes, I'll have a jelly baby!"

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 24

Campari Spritz

A person might think that a Campari Spritz was such a simple idea that the Interweb couldn't possibly mess around with it. Such a person would be wrong, but in this case, the maker of Campari has provided an official recipe.

2 oz. Campari

3 oz. Prosecco

1 oz. soda water

Pour the Campari, Prosecco, and soda water into an ice-filled wine glass. Garnish with a orange slice of fresh orange.

cocktails-campari-spritz-taste-section-min.thumb.jpg.9e8cfda89263b16694f2c8327ff16594.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 21