The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday April 23rd, 2024

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Pai;.   Pleased that Vanessa is pain free and prayers that recovery is quick and lasting, especially with a cruise on the books for September.  I never followed Dr. Who but will celebrate both my own language and English Muffins.  Happy Birthday Charlene and Annie.

I think the tendency is to be like one’s parents unless something really causes a change.

I never visited the UK before their currency became more like the rest of the world.  I have not cruised to Kona but have relatively dim memories of it from a 1992 land trip..

I’ll pass on the meal. My alternative is Minted Melon and Raspberry Soup, Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup and Penne and Chicken as served on MS Amsterdam April 23, 2014.  Chicken seems to be the common ingredient.

Today started out cold but has warmed up nicely as I just took my recycling out to the curb.

Roy

• Like 28

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  It is currently 45, but 30 minutes ago it was 42...the day is getting better. Sunny, and I'm on the daily spending the morning with friends.  Thank you all for the well wishes on my day of aging.  I really think starting a new job, and being re-trained, is a good way to get older. 

@dfishthat first dinner looks really good.  But we are going to Red Lobster for the 20 dollar crab leg dinner tonight.  And an early lunch at Taqueria del Sol, after i walk the dog. 

The kittens are now a week old, we should see by the end of this week, their ears uncurl, and their eyes open.  So far, all we have seen is them sleeping and eating.

Tigger went to the vets yesterday for his follow up,  surgical site is good, but he has been running a fever for a week, and they don't know why. So they gave him an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory shot yesterday, and when he came home, he played.  Fever was back up last night, and he stayed in bed all night long.  Our bed. Along with Tazi and Furnando. It is getting very crowded in bed. 

ac01f6dbe82e7e6c8c131c5f21288220.jpg

Annie, I hope Tigger is now recovering from the infection and fever.  Enjoy your lunch and dinner out today.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute the English language and English muffins. I knew nothing about Impossible Astronauts. I'll disagree with the quote. The meal looks good. Pass on the drink and I can't afford the wine. I have been to Kona.

It's 61F and sunny out, but I'll be indoors. I was to arrive at the OP surgical center at 10am yesterday, for 12pm surgery. But I didn't get taken back until about 12:45, as one of the surgical trays wasn't there. Then there was all the prep. I only remember a large room, with a lot of equipment and trays of equipment, as well as an unusual face down type of bed. I didn't have to crawl onto that, as I was out before then (I pity those lifting me onto it). The procedure took about 3 hours. BFF says when the surgeon came out to talk to him, she said it was much more messed up and more involved for her, and she could understand why I had so much pain. The next I remember I was in recovery, shivering away. My temp was down and they had me on a warming blanket. Finally I was ok to go, around 7:30. Unfortunately my meds, something for pain and a muscle relaxant, were called to my pharmacy, but it was closed by the time we got home. Pain wasn't much, and I had a previously ordered muscle relaxant and took that. I was in my recliner, and BFF made me soup. Next thing I know, it's 6AM! I slept about 7 hours in the recliner, and had another nap after posting the Cares List, so almost 9 hours of sleep! I'm sure some of that was from the anesthesia. Best of all - NO LEG PAIN! No tingling either. I am stiff and a bit sore, but that's to be expected. I appreciate all the prayers and good thoughts - they worked!

@marshhawk Happy, Happy 70th Birthday Annie!

@cunnorl Happy, Happy Birthday Charlene!

@Haljo1935 Good luck with the eye procedure. Thanks for the photos from Kona.

@RMLincoln Prayers all goes well with DH's eye surgery.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up. Lovely photos.

@AncientWanderer So good to hear that the cruise is great. Beautiful photos from Japan.

@kochleffel Thanks for the drink recipe.

@smitty34877 Good news that the NH family has been so helpful. I'm glad you get a bit of a break. Continued prayers for Tana, you and the family.

@aliaschief Nice photos. I hope the person airlifted off the ship will be ok.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great Kona photos.

@ger_77 Prayers that Maurice gets his surgery soon. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating. 

I visited Kona in 1992 on a trip to Hawaii. I used to shoot slides back then, but scanned some into the PC. I was at the Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park. 

This  ‘place of refuge’  was a safe haven for those that broke the Kapu laws, which in old Hawaii were punishable by death. If you reached the Puʻuhonua, you would be pardoned by Kahuna and given a second chance at life. 

1432200916_070-10.1992-PuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.BigIslandofHawaii.thumb.jpg.2159d209409eb4b0275771cbdd496c76.jpg

1625637450_072-10.1992-PuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.BigIslandofHawaii.thumb.jpg.7acb8480fa4491de4c9451934e9d17a6.jpg

The Hale o Keawe Temple, guarded by carved wooden Kiʻi.

1361842288_074-10.1992-PuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.BigIslandofHawaii.thumb.jpg.1d482dbfdb3194da90d511366cce9341.jpg

1472541015_076-10.1992-CarvedwoodenimagePuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.thumb.jpg.8ed20ad9e2e59c32a8a8e783ae18c3e7.jpg

Vanessa, that is the best news we've had in a long time.  I'm so very happy you have no leg pain with the bonus of a good night's sleep.  Take it easy and enjoy being pampered by BFF.

I have enjoyed all the pictures from Kona, and Brenda @bennybear  yours are so beautiful.

Now, it's off to mow the yard.  I won't get too hot since it's 72F, cloudy with a cool south wind.  A cool south wind is weird, but true.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

@JazzyV so glad things went well! Wishing you continued improvement! 

27 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

@bennybear Those are really special pictures of Kona.  I wonder why they have such beautiful sunsets compared to other places in the world.  Normally I hate spiders, but that one was really different.

Ray

I’m not sure why the sunsets are so amazing either.  I’ve never seen such incredible colours.  And we live by the Rockies, so they can be quite spectacular here too.  We have a friend that was in the USN as well, who says you can’t beat a Kona sundown!     That little spider was there for two months.   He hardly moved and we tried hard not to disturb him or her.  I loved the little face and the ziggy zaggy, lol!

Here’s a few more,  including a green flash which we see quite often but rarely capture on film.

IMG_4492.jpeg

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_1780.jpeg

IMG_1798.jpeg

IMG_1791.jpeg

IMG_1976.jpeg

IMG_1609.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Just now, ottahand7 said:

@aliaschief thanks for the wonderful photos from your cruise!

@GTVCRUISER I almost thought you were on on a cruise I have been missing your SD photos.  

Your welcome. That’s what the Daily is mainly about. Sharing our experiences and life’s. Most importantly we  all love to cruise.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

We rented kayaks in Kona, just next to the tender dock. Had a hoot in the bat watching the spinner dolphins!  

I was in England 1972 and the coins were a mixture of the old and new… confusing for everyone. 

Overjoyed for you Vanessa!  Go slowly!  

DH is in recovery!  Haven’t seen him yet but soon! It’s suddenly easier to breathe…. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Thank you to everyone who has posted the wonderful pictures of Kona.  We’ll be there next January.

@bennybearWhat is the one thing we shouldn’t miss in Kona? I’ve booked a whale watching tour with HAL but only to use up a HIA credit.  Would happily cancel.  I was also looking for a private snorkeling tour to Kealakekua Bay that provides wet suits.  

Happy to receive advice from anyone about private tours at all the Hawaiian ports.

Ooh,  lucky you!    In January you will likely see whales even on a snorkelling trip or from the shore.  I think snorkelling is one of our faves,  I think Debbie @dfish went on one this year.  
image.thumb.jpeg.9b466855d14433203d4ae447bdf5f467.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.444a2e311f8b2a30dd9e829bbf165412.jpeg
The snorkelling at Kahuluu Beach Park is usually excellent, as is Kealakakua Bay where we used to see the spinner dolphins as well.  Not sure you will need wet suits, the water is usually pretty warm.  We just wear reef shirts. Kahuluu has beach access, but it is rocky so you need beach socks that will go in your fins.  We also enjoy seeing the city of refuge that has been posted,  and two step next door offers good snorkelling as well.  

You  could also rent a car, and see a number of things.  Beautiful beaches north,  botanical gardens etc.  I’m happy to answer questions,  really depends on what you’d like to see and do. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0ae61b2505e368f14edbbc4038e0c3ba.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5f6f54089dc496a6c32bc6f52cdf02d5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3dba83499c5108102fcd8fd5a08d4be7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b6c69f43ab00688e335d743e85dafd70.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.19d3d506a244187c390ad6a76b58919d.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

@bennybearThank you for the additional photos and your advice.

Great to hear whales can be seen every where.  I’ve only been to Hawaii once and snorkeled Kealakakua Bay.  I was lucky enough to see the spinner dolphins AND a mother whale who was pushing her baby up to the surface so it could breathe. The captain would count and point and we were lucky enough to see this several times.  My niece still teases me because I was crying as I watched.  First thing she said to me when I told her about seeing the whales in Antarctica was, “Did you cry?”😊

My husband prefers gardens to snorkeling.  I just looked up Big Island Botanical Gardens.  Wow! Can you recommend one?  

We are in port from 8-6 but will be tendering.  Maybe renting a car would be a good idea.  Is there a company near the port? @ottahand7 will also be on this cruise.  Maybe we can organize our own private tour.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

@0106  the whales are pretty awe inspiring, we’re fortunate that we can watch them right from our condo.  

I think Hertz is right in the Courtyard Marriott right at the dock.  

There’s some pretty decent cacti gardens by the old airport, really near the port.  You only need about half a hour to walk through them,  There are some major ones by Hilo as well when you’re over there.  South of Kona there’s some Greenwell ones and just generally a very different landscape, maybe visit a coffee plantation.  

some photos from the old airport gardens 

IMG_0452.jpeg

IMG_0451.jpeg

IMG_0450.jpeg

IMG_0448.jpeg

IMG_1445.jpeg

IMG_1453.jpeg

IMG_1452.jpeg

IMG_1434.jpeg

IMG_1432.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1422.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg

IMG_1419.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

8 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Greetings everyone from Japan.  I hope all are doing well.  Glad to see that @kazuJacqui was able to make her trip, and even has enough oomph to do a “live from.”  😊

The Westerdam is delivering the goods here in Japan.  We’ve had great excursions, quite good food, and wonderful service.  And blessed with sunny skies.  And…perfect timing for the cherry blossoms.  Happy campers.  Here are a few photos.

Shirakawago from Kanazawa port stop

IMG_9632.jpeg.77276d791b0badb831ab5885bb8cc843.jpeg

Hirosaki from Aomori port stop

IMG_9836.jpeg.7ccddb1015a5b8fb276e7fd3f26c20b1.jpeg

And a pretty darn lavish Asian dinner in the Lido

IMG_9923.jpeg.a20c43e22b9ed2cf51b937d8fb1fa1f0.jpeg

IMG_9915.jpeg.913a30cccc1d61b03626b330a7a73303.jpeg

IMG_9912.jpeg.1650d1403fdc3b27156f0c88d4d3d943.jpeg

IMG_9927.jpeg.66077da47f28e648e3b942264e50250c.jpeg

IMG_9920.jpeg.4cec9b5d8bcc705d4a3ebab3064c38c8.jpeg

Wishing everyone a best possible day.  Many thanks to the Daily team and all contributors.   ❤️

OMG you must be thrilled. Everything looks so beautiful

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Today we went out and did a little shopping for some shoes/clothing items DH and I needed to take along on our upcoming cruise.  Plus I spent several hours finishing up the lamb, kitten and straw on the right bottom part of the cross stitch stocking.  Time to move on to the other lamb.  It's moving along nicely.  My monthly update photo will be posted the first of May.

4 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Thanks Gerry!  It does get more familiar but it never gets easier!  I’m in the tiny waiting room, they’ll get me after they have him prepped and I’ll sit with him until they take him in for surgery. It’s a 60 min procedure whereas the drain emplacement was 10 mins, that with cataract lens emplacement was 15 mins. We’re so blessed that they can do such things. Prayers for Maurice for perfect timing. 

No word on my sister-in-law. We brought funeral clothes with us in case we had to go to services Thursday morning… not looking likely. 
later, m—

Thinking of you both today as you wait, and the surgeon does their work.  

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute the English language and English muffins. I knew nothing about Impossible Astronauts. I'll disagree with the quote. The meal looks good. Pass on the drink and I can't afford the wine. I have been to Kona.

It's 61F and sunny out, but I'll be indoors. I was to arrive at the OP surgical center at 10am yesterday, for 12pm surgery. But I didn't get taken back until about 12:45, as one of the surgical trays wasn't there. Then there was all the prep. I only remember a large room, with a lot of equipment and trays of equipment, as well as an unusual face down type of bed. I didn't have to crawl onto that, as I was out before then (I pity those lifting me onto it). The procedure took about 3 hours. BFF says when the surgeon came out to talk to him, she said it was much more messed up and more involved for her, and she could understand why I had so much pain. The next I remember I was in recovery, shivering away. My temp was down and they had me on a warming blanket. Finally I was ok to go, around 7:30. Unfortunately my meds, something for pain and a muscle relaxant, were called to my pharmacy, but it was closed by the time we got home. Pain wasn't much, and I had a previously ordered muscle relaxant and took that. I was in my recliner, and BFF made me soup. Next thing I know, it's 6AM! I slept about 7 hours in the recliner, and had another nap after posting the Cares List, so almost 9 hours of sleep! I'm sure some of that was from the anesthesia. Best of all - NO LEG PAIN! No tingling either. I am stiff and a bit sore, but that's to be expected. I appreciate all the prayers and good thoughts - they worked!

@marshhawk Happy, Happy 70th Birthday Annie!

@cunnorl Happy, Happy Birthday Charlene!

@Haljo1935 Good luck with the eye procedure. Thanks for the photos from Kona.

@RMLincoln Prayers all goes well with DH's eye surgery.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up. Lovely photos.

@AncientWanderer So good to hear that the cruise is great. Beautiful photos from Japan.

@kochleffel Thanks for the drink recipe.

@smitty34877 Good news that the NH family has been so helpful. I'm glad you get a bit of a break. Continued prayers for Tana, you and the family.

@aliaschief Nice photos. I hope the person airlifted off the ship will be ok.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great Kona photos.

@ger_77 Prayers that Maurice gets his surgery soon. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating. 

I visited Kona in 1992 on a trip to Hawaii. I used to shoot slides back then, but scanned some into the PC. I was at the Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park. 

This  ‘place of refuge’  was a safe haven for those that broke the Kapu laws, which in old Hawaii were punishable by death. If you reached the Puʻuhonua, you would be pardoned by Kahuna and given a second chance at life. 

1432200916_070-10.1992-PuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.BigIslandofHawaii.thumb.jpg.2159d209409eb4b0275771cbdd496c76.jpg

1625637450_072-10.1992-PuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.BigIslandofHawaii.thumb.jpg.7acb8480fa4491de4c9451934e9d17a6.jpg

The Hale o Keawe Temple, guarded by carved wooden Kiʻi.

1361842288_074-10.1992-PuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.BigIslandofHawaii.thumb.jpg.1d482dbfdb3194da90d511366cce9341.jpg

1472541015_076-10.1992-CarvedwoodenimagePuuhonuaoHonaunauNationalHistoricalPark.thumb.jpg.8ed20ad9e2e59c32a8a8e783ae18c3e7.jpg

Vanessa, I'm so excited to hear about NO PAIN and getting so much sleep last night!  I hope things continue on this route and you are back to your old self again.  Our prayers really were answered!  BTW, thanks for your historical park photos.  It looks like a very interesting place.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Literally have thousands of photos of Kona! So a few faves from this year. 

IMG_1012.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

IMG_0919.jpeg

IMG_0871.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_0799.jpeg

IMG_0727.jpeg

IMG_0719.jpeg

IMG_0591.jpeg

IMG_0547.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0334.jpeg

IMG_0293.jpeg

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_1808.jpeg

Brenda, your photos are always great but these are over the top fabulous.  It can't just be the subject!  lol  The spider one did scare me, I gotta admit.  But if he was there 2 months at least he didn't make any fast moves.  😬

1 hour ago, dfish said:

@JazzyV

Celebrate.jpg.af5ac0df832195dff514b6b324a002be.jpg

It is a joyous day!  I am glad you are doing so well.  We'll keep pulling for your complete pain free recovery!   

Debbie that is the best meme of the day.  So appropriate, too!

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

I’m not sure why the sunsets are so amazing either.  I’ve never seen such incredible colours.  And we live by the Rockies, so they can be quite spectacular here too.  We have a friend that was in the USN as well, who says you can’t beat a Kona sundown!     That little spider was there for two months.   He hardly moved and we tried hard not to disturb him or her.  I loved the little face and the ziggy zaggy, lol!

Here’s a few more,  including a green flash which we see quite often but rarely capture on film.

IMG_4492.jpeg

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_1780.jpeg

IMG_1798.jpeg

IMG_1791.jpeg

IMG_1976.jpeg

IMG_1609.jpeg

First real photos DH and I have ever seen of the green flash.  Two of them!  Excellent photography skills.  Thank you!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is a gray day today with intermittent rain showers predicted.  All the better for those May flowers that will soon be here.  I will be so happy when the trees finish budding out.  Apparently, tree pollen is a big irritant to me.  I'm sure once the trees finish, the grass will take over. 

@RMLincoln Keeping you and DH in my thoughts today that all goes well.

@Haljo1935 Hoping all goes well with your procedure today.

@JazzyV I hope you are resting comfortably.  I'm glad BFF is with you.

I have a pedicure this morning and hope that is all I need to deal with.  Yesterday got busy with details for the conference I am attending on Saturday.  I left the position of State Director two years ago, but for some reason, I am in charge of the details of this conference.  Or at least it seems like I am.

Today's meal sounds tasty.  What makes it stand out is the scallion ginger sauce.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/272931/sheet-pan-sesame-chicken-broccoli-with-scallion-ginger-sauce/

sesamechickenandbroccoli.jpeg.61f4ea97a441a3bf6a7f4d0bfadbb50b.jpeg

This one uses chicken that has been cut up into cubes.  It doesn't have a separate sauce, but does bring in the ginger along with a sweet chili sauce.  https://www.eatyourselfskinny.com/sheet-pan-sesame-chicken-and-veggies/

sesamechickenandbroccoli2.thumb.jpg.670cc59dde7b6401014d4269e70e271a.jpg

Here is one more variation that uses just broccoli as the vegetable.  https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Sesame-Chicken-and-Broccoli-Sheet-Pan-Meal-Kalyns-Kitchen

sesamechickenandbroccoli3.thumb.jpg.3c45a1f296a5fb87bd9de8a47ae7e6c4.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Everything looks delish

• Like 14

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

@bennybear Those are really special pictures of Kona.  I wonder why they have such beautiful sunsets compared to other places in the world.  Normally I hate spiders, but that one was really different.

Ray

I'm not a fan of spiders either but that 1 was so beautiful I didn't think it was real.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

Thank you to everyone who has posted the wonderful pictures of Kona.  We’ll be there next January.

@bennybearWhat is the one thing we shouldn’t miss in Kona? I’ve booked a whale watching tour with HAL but only to use up a HIA credit.  Would happily cancel.  I was also looking for a private snorkeling tour to Kealakekua Bay that provides wet suits.  

Happy to receive advice from anyone about private tours at all the Hawaiian ports.

DH Craig did the Whale Watching tour through HAL on Kona and said that it stayed near the ship area and they didn't see much.  We had dining companions who did the Whale Watching tour in Maui and saw so much.  Next time we will pick that instead.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

IMG_1609.jpeg

Have been to Kona many times on land vacations and also have seen the green flash there several times. Never had much luck seeing the flash in LA or Key West at sunset.  It has to be the Kona magic !!

• Like 13

@0106 Tina, Sue and I did the snorkeling tour through the ship.  It was a small group of about 12-14 people.  I'm not sure where we went, but the water was very warm.  I didn't want to get out, but the boat wanted to leave.  On the way to the snorkeling place we saw quite a few whales and they really put on a nice show for us.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1