The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday May 18th, 2024

Today is HIV Vaccine Awareness Day, I Love Reeses Day, and International Museum Day

I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw that my bath toys were a toaster and a radio. - Joan Rivers

Meal Suggestion for today - Asparagus with Tarragon Vinaigrette
Drink of the Day - Envy
Wine of the Day - Simonsig 2019 Redhill Pinotage (Stellenbosch)
Destination of the Day - Rarotonga, Cook Islands

Today in History:
1927 Grauman's Chinese Theater opens in Hollywood, California

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 7:00-15:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05-19

Nieuw Statendam

Copenhagen, Denmark 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 05-19

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Santorini Island, Thira, Greece eta 05-19

Rotterdam

Isle of Man, Peel-Douglas, UK 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Montreal, Quebec Canada 7:00-15:00

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Zaandam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Zuiderdam

Praia da Vitoria, Terceira Island Azores Portugal 08:00 - 17:00

0518World.thumb.png.64d0c4f5d36f24e654baf239097961c8.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 25

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  Today we are docked at Praia da Vitoria, Azores where it is 62F and partly cloudy skies. No rain expected (hopefully).   There is a free shuttle to the center of town which I assume means here locally in Praia da Vitoria.  Last time I was here was on a grand voyage and the free shuttle took us to Santa Cruz.  We will head out mid morning after the rush.

Thank you Rich for the Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday, May 18.  

Some nice days to recognize but a silly quote by Joan Rivers.  I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.    But thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports on them.

Prayers for DB, Alex's twin boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still remaining and for those 3  whose bodies were recently found and our military in the region.  Many prayers for our friends here on the Care list! Wishing for good news on all fronts there.  Speaking of Alex, my niece Lisa reminded us that she and her DH brought Alex to visit Williamsburg when we lived there, and stayed at our home. She said Alex rolled over for the first time at that house.  He was about 5 months old.  My, how time flies. Vanessa, @JazzyV thank you so much for the lists you keep so fastidiously.  Hoping your BFF is behaving and ready for that surgery next week.  He is lucky to have you now to help him, as you were lucky to have him assist you after your surgery.

The port today is Rarotonga (Avatiu), Cook Islands.  This was the port on Mar. 26, 2021, April 17, 2022 and May 27, 2023. My photos have disappeared from my posts after first posting over 3 years ago so I'll have to find time to redo my posts.  The links follow:

Last night was an excellent dinner in the Pinnacle Grill.  Yulia is who we ask for and she was very attentive.  Tonight is dinner in Canaletto.

Hoping everyone enjoys this day.  Please stay safe and keep well.  Sorry about all the spacing on my posts today!  All wonky!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's foggy and misty this morning, sure hope it clears up.  I'd like some sun.

HIV Vaccine Awareness is an important day to observe.  I'm not a fan of Reeses but I love museums.

A very silly quote.

I'll pass on the meal, I don't like tarragon.  Not sure about the drink or the wine.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a great day!

• Like 30

We stopped in today's port of Rarotonga, Cook Islands in 2017 on the Maasdam.  That was the cruise my birthday was celebrated onboard two days in a row.  What fun that was!

We didn't schedule a tour here but heard from the destination expert that you could take a bus ride around the island quite easily and decided to do that.

Being greeted upon arrival.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Beautiful hillside views from our port town of Avatiu.

Views from the bus along the route.

Near the end of the bus tour.

Back in town off the bus, we could browse all the goodies for sale at the market.

Then we walked past the Catholic church.

You could see the Maasdam from the church windows

Heading back to the tender to the ship.

I wish we were all there right now.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 12

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Mona started to encourage me to get out of bed at 3, I finally surrendered at 4 and served breakfast. I may need an afternoon nap. I woke up to some good news this morning, @dfish and Sue will be joining us in August.  Today’s agenda includes a trip to Target and possibly Walmart for eggs.  Depending on when the rain starts maybe some yard work today.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.95c61a6cbaabea855268354de6856f15.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Yes to Reese confectionery and the cultural benefits of museums and the importance of HIV eradication.

This morning we were delighted to see an enormous Red Poppy flowering at the bottom of our garden.

I hope everyone has a good and healthy weekend.

Screenshot_20240518_120127.jpg

IMG-20240518-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20240518-WA0000.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11

Today’s Care List:

Marshhawk’s DH’s vascular surgery not successful

RMLincoln’s DH requiring eye drops & pressure massages for drainage incision

JazzyV’s BFF with a fall and sustaining a tib-fib fracture, surgery 5/21

Victims of flooding and storms across the country

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with a stroke, now in rehab

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Anniversary Norseh2o (Katherine & Bob)!

Welcome to Copenhagen YourWorldWithBill!

Welcome Home MISTER 67!

Welcome Home Niagarawine!

Nickelpenny post back surgery, now home

Durangoscots attending a dog show in New Mexico

RMLincoln’s DH with eye drainage incision still open on last evaluation

Luvteaching having made progress with her stuck hip flexor muscle

Rich back and posting the Fleet Report/Daily

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

7 days for MrSnuggleupagus (Koningsdam May 25 to June 1) Alaska Inside Passage

Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 23
  • Thanks 19

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

The rain held off until last night. Looks like a pretty gloomy day. Sam wanted to be fed at 6:15. I held him off until 6:30. But the good part is that I can now watch the F1 Practice 3 session live at Emilio-Romagna.

MSC announced on the 17th that they are bringing the MSC Grandiosa to  Port Canaveral in December 2025 in addition to the MSC Seashore. With Princess adding Port Canaveral next year, it will be a busy place.

Have a GREAT weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Not a fan of Reeses but I’ll celebrate the other two days.

Rivers has a strange sense of humor..

Congratulations to Graumans on 97 years.

I visited Raratonga twice, 2011 on Crystal Serenity and 2018 on Crystal Symphony...

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chunky Jicama and Mango Salad, Rustic Home Made Lasagna, and Birthday cake (not mine) as served on MS Veendam May 18, 2016,.

entree.jpg
Looks like a very wet day for the Preakness today.

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely morning here. The deer herd has moved through and this year’s fawns are getting big. I just love to see them zoom around. We had some brief showers yesterday and a horrible humid period while the wind was totally dead. Once the wind came back, it turned into a gorgeous afternoon and evening. The Mexican dinner was wonderful. I had my first taste of Elote salad, and I will be hunting for recipes. It was delicious. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. So glad you & BFF are safe. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, prepping for dinner with friends at my place. I plan to use the air fryer of my outdoor Ninja to make parmesan/panko crusted chicken. Salad and roasted veggies will round out the menu. And of course there will be wine. 

IMG_2881.jpeg.abb1ea30599659e651fe30b268c35b41.jpeg

IMG_2862.jpeg.fb0e9cce75439e0a4c7b27644e490c39.jpeg

IMG_2865.jpeg.81dd6d73723eef12a8d03cc2a9870bd2.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support.

Terry, I was so happy to read that your family is coming to help and give you a much needed break. 

Gerry, praying that Maurice’s cold improves enough so he can still have his surgery next week. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

Happy Anniversary Katherine & Bob! 
@Norseh2o

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Simonsig 2019 Redhill Pinotage (Stellenbosch)

I recently learned that this variety of grape is a hybrid developed in South Africa. I would definitely love to try this one, it sounds delicious. A decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $36.98.

Distributor notes

The wine has a vivid dark red color. Bursting with fruit, there are aromas of cranberries, black cherries, and spicy raspberries with a perfume of violets, vanilla and musk candy. With excellent oak integration, fine elegant tannins and tangy acidity, the wine has a weightless intensity to it that makes it a fine wine.

Wine Enthusiast (92 Points, Editor’s Choice, & #66 of the Top 100 Wines of 2023):

“This is a well-structured red that has depth and nice acidity. The nose is aromatic, offering leather, spices and raspberries followed by notes of smoke. A firm structure holds the palate. Tart cherry, plum, hints of paprika, black pepper, cinnamon and smoke lead to a flavorful finish. Drink now through 2031.”

Established in 1971, the Simonsig Estate is situated in the famous Stellenbosch Winelands just east of Cape Town. Frans Malan's groundbreaking innovations include South Africa's first Méthode Cap Classique Kaapse Vonkel. The Estate's is committed to producing wines of internationally regarded excellence, expressing the unique and diverse terroir of the region.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 3

Thank you!!  I love reading here and the friends I'm making here!!  Bless each of you with health and love!!!

HIV Vaccine Awareness and Reeses ANYTHING and Museums are reasons to celebrate and honor!!!  Good For Us!!!  (And YES, I will eat a Reese's today and totally be in heaven and enjoy!!)  

I love asparagus -- but it's just the sauce, I'm not sure about...

Poor Joan Rivers...  I know she was a funny comedian -- but...  I'm not sure about her quote today...  She had a dry, strange humor at times!!!  I wonder if her parents were still alive when she made that joke/comment!   I don't know if I'd laugh...

AND Thank you @StLouisCruisers for Cook islands photos!  I think you and I are of one mind...  I like to go inside churches when I pass them.  They each have their own special personality and beauty!!

@grapau27  Thank you for the explanation of the Day...  and the lovely photos!!!  Is it a special breed of Poppy?  It's such a large blossom...  I love the vibrant color!!!  WOW!!!  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

God rainy morning. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice. 
Today is also ARMED FORCES DAY .

I hope the weather is good later today for the Preakness race, love watching the pageantry.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Envy cocktail:

The envy cocktail is a stunning blue-green tequila drink that has a wonderful tropical flavor. It's an ideal recipe for any outdoor summer party and incredibly easy to mix up.

There are many things to love about the envy cocktail. Not only is its color captivating, but it requires just three ingredients, all of which are very common in the bar. Using your favorite tequila as the base, you'll pour blue curaçao, which gives the drink its signature color and a hint of orange flavor. Then, a little pineapple juice is tossed into the shaker to give it that brilliant spark of tropical fruit flavor.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 ounces blanco tequila
1 ounce blue curaçao liqueur
1/2 ounce pineapple juice
Maraschino cherry, for garnish
Directions:
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes, pour tequila, blue curaçao, and pineapple juice.
Shake well.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass over fresh ice, if you like.
Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 7.36.30 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 14

Thanks for the report. One can tell we are getting further North as it was pretty much still dark at 7:45 this morning. We’ll probably see a difference tomorrow as we set our clocks back an hour tonight.

The make your own pizza lunch special has been popular today. Under review if it may become a regular event. Enjoyed ours and received positive feedback from others.

The North Atlantic started the day off with glassy seas and a late sunrise.

Our NASA lecturer about the sun and solar system was interesting and proved once again I know nada on our galaxy’s and how they work.

Another great guest entertainer tonight and in the meantime it’s back to a good book. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.cdcaac5d1f1ec347afb1d4efcb22fd8a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.131c1b520798c8f2e506d27f01aa4872.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9653a7e71e74f7ab6a181644e2719e0c.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Happy Saturday and thanks to Rich, Debbie, Ann, Dixie & Vanessa.

LOL on the Joan Rivers quote. 😂. Where would we be without vaccines?  They have saved so many lives.  

Beautiful sunny day here - have to head out (aka hobble out) and pick up earth.  I tried to get it delivered to no avail.  ‘Sigh’.  This is when you really miss having help in the house.    It seems everything gets harder and harder to get accomplished these days between my slowness and road blocks.  Even the FCL takes an hour now.  Formatting doesn’t work without a lot of manual manipulation unless I want to try with my very slow laptop which I fear is on it’s last legs so I’m saving it for my spread sheets.

No results from the doctor so, I’m assuming that means things are ok bone wise or she hasn’t looked at the tests yet.  LOL.  Hopefully the foot is good enough to tolerate the longer drive into Saint John on Tuesday for my vascular surgeon appointment 🤞 

Happy Anniverary to Katherine & Bob @Norseh2o

Gerry, @ger_77 I hope Maurice is recovered enough for his surgery 🙏 

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems and those that need them.  Cheers to all those celebrating and cruising.

IMG_1938.thumb.jpeg.7e27acc19207cf58ebc98c61629b0f8f.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Haha 14

Happy 149th running of the Preakness Stakes Day!  Currently raining, the track is definitely going to be wet.🏇

@cat shepard Here is a recipe that I use for elote salad, MexicanStreet Corn Salad.  it was one of the MOD I posted last month when Debbie was out of town.🌽

I always look forward to @dfish recipes.  I’ll be going to the farmer’s market this morning and will be sure to pick up some asparagus.  If you don’t like tarragon, try subbing garlic scapes or chives.  

Glad the sun is shining on @kazu Positive thoughts to all who are in pain.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 28

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Happy 149th running of the Preakness Stakes Day!  Currently raining, the track is definitely going to be wet.🏇

@cat shepard Here is a recipe that I use for elote salad, MexicanStreet Corn Salad.  it was one of the MOD I posted last month when Debbie was out of town.🌽

I always look forward to @dfish recipes.  I’ll be going to the farmer’s market this morning and will be sure to pick up some asparagus.  If you don’t like tarragon, try subbing garlic scapes or chives.  

Glad the sun is shining on @kazu Positive thoughts to all who are in pain.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Thank you so much Tina! I confess to not being tempted by just the recipe.

But one taste was all I needed. 😎 It was so delicious. I can’t wait to try it myself. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24

Good morning everyone.  The last of the plant sale plants left 20 minutes ago.  I am heading to Walmart to buy the last perishable groceries to start us off at the cabin.   Thanks for the heads up on the Baltimore weather @rafinmd and @0106.   I will have to check my picks to see if they are "mudders".   I will watch all the undercard races while cleaning the house. Preakness pick is Tuscan Gold trained by Chad Brown, I am always seeking decent odds.   Have a lovely Saturday everyone.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

@Crazy For Cats I'm glad you think it is good news that we are joining you on the Zuiderdam!  That was my very first HAL ship so I am looking forward to being back on her!  

@Norseh2o

Anniversary.jpg.7b5ae927882b80b945e7a330dd0f91df.jpg

@cat shepard Mexican street corn salad is great!   Of course, I like the Mexican street corn on the cob as well.  

Well, we have another day of fighting with the patio furniture.  We are first going to tackle the fire table.  I so want to get rid of the ugly fire pit in the back yard and this will allow me to do that.  I've talked Sue into planting a tree in that spot.  The problem we are having is that when we go to attach the second arm to the chairs the holes don't line up.  Somehow we got it to work on the couch.  Eventually we will get it to work out.  I may invite a neighbor to help us.

Asparagus is known for making pee smell funny, but it has many health benefits. This cruciferous vegetable is good for you and can help with weight loss, prevent urinary tract infections (UTIs), promote reproductive health, and be a mood booster. Asparagus packs nutrients—including vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6, folate, iron, potassium, copper, calcium, and protein—and is a rich source of antioxidants.  So, if you don't like tarragon, use one of @0106 Tina's suggestions and eat up!   

The first recipe cooks the asparagus and then chills it to serve with the tarragon sauce.  Asparagus with tarragon vinaigrette 1

asparaguswithtarragonvinaigrette1.thumb.jpg.f851bf335b62573910b94efb9342168e.jpg

In this next recipe Nancy Fuller from the Food Network has us roast the asparagus and then serve it on a bed of greens with a creamy tarragon vinaigrette.  This one can be warm or cold.  Nancy Fuller's Asparagus

asparaguswithtarragonvinaigrette2.thumb.jpeg.b82655c554114000635d73a4cd6f1100.jpeg

This last recipe can be served warm or cold.  It does call for putting the asparagus in ice water to stop the cooking so it doesn't get over cooked.  Asparagus With Tarragon Sherry Vinaigrette

asparaguswithtarragonvinaigrette3.thumb.png.f13878ac09d399bbf1979848164b028a.png

Here's hoping we conquer the patio furniture today!   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 16

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

The rain held off until last night. Looks like a pretty gloomy day. Sam wanted to be fed at 6:15. I held him off until 6:30. But the good part is that I can now watch the F1 Practice 3 session live at Emilio-Romagna.

MSC announced on the 17th that they are bringing the MSC Grandiosa to  Port Canaveral in December 2025 in addition to the MSC Seashore. With Princess adding Port Canaveral next year, it will be a busy place.

Have a GREAT weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

It has been on our local news constantly about the growth in Port Canaveral. They are "fast tracking" a new terminal to be ready in several months. Another one will take longer because the current Marina has to be moved. A new garage will be ready this summer. There are currently 11 hotels in a 2 block area. Lucky for me I am 7 miles south of there. Sad for me is no HAL ship yet!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4