The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 5th, 2024

Called at the port with the Nordham 2016.  Lovely beach great for swimming but be prepared.   I recommend wearing water shoes, there are oodles of shell shards.  Outch. Outch.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@Nickelpenny, Pennie, will you sub for the two schools on a part time or full time basis? I admire your energy. 

I sub part-time on my schedule; I pick and choose when and where I want to work.  There is an app that the jobs post when the teacher requests a sub or I get a message from my friends.  It comes out to about 110 schools in the 2 districts combined but I really don't like elementary so that limits the schools I am willing to go to.  I aim for about 8 days/month but I have done as much as 15/month and as little as 2.5/month; last year I subbed for 75.5 days between the 2 districts.  I love it!!  

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Left Hand cocktial:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. bourbon
3/4 oz. Campari
3/4 oz. sweet vermouth (preferably Carpano Antica)
3 dashes chocolate bitters (such as Bittermen’s)
Garnish: brandied cherry

Directions:

Add all ingredients into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
Garnish with a brandied cherry.

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 6.18.11 AM.png

This drink will not work for me. I always drink from my right hand!

• Like 8
  • Haha 15

49 minutes ago, swin26 said:

We leave in about an hour for the airport to fly to Brussels and then board our first post-COVID cruise in Rotterdam on Saturday.  Can't wait!!!

Safe and smooth travels.  Bon Voyage to you for Saturday 🙂.  Hope you hae a fabulous time.

• Like 25

Good morning, everyone.

It looks like a nice start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  We do have thunderstorms that are supposed to roll through later this morning and this afternoon.  Sue will be happy as she won't have to water her flowers.  The rain will make it hard to test out my test injection as I usually try a walk around the block.  I did a walk last night as a base line and it took me a half hour to go a half mile.  Lots of stenosis pain down the legs.  And it must be the weather front coming in, but my back is especially unhappy this morning.  Usually I can walk it out a bit, but not today.  

@Cruzin Terri I hope Jim is doing better today after his fall.  You need to relax and enjoy Barbados!

I think I would like the spice in these deviled eggs.  I like deviled eggs and would enjoy the added heat.  I would eat them for breakfast.  I've gotten into having two hardboiled eggs with some Dijon mustard on them for breakfast in the morning.  I'll try a little cayenne to spice it up!  Spicy Deviled Eggs

spicydeviledeggs1.thumb.jpg.93d579b54946d32239cec14c33975006.jpg

This recipe suggests making the eggs with a garlic aioli.  That sounds good to me!   More Spicy Deviled Eggs

spicydeviledeggs2.thumb.jpg.660a39cc6e3fd22694749bb0f8af48cf.jpg

The spices are slightly different in this recipe and the eggs are garnished with a jalapeño slice.  Mmmm    Even More Spicy Deviled Eggs

spicydeviledeggs3.thumb.jpg.86ea4670ac5c81868ee785408523ed2e.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily Rich and the photos of Mystery Island.  We are going there in 2026 and I figured it was a very simple island as there were no shore excursions listed on HALs website.  Let's all celebrate D-Day.  Last day I saw a vet from D-Day was at Wegman's in 2014.  He had a landing hat.  I had to go over and thank him and he was really happy and grateful. If anyone is anywhere in Europe it is worth taking a few days away from Amsterdam and take a train to Caan or Bayeaux and take a tour of the cemeteries and the landing beaches.  It is really moving with a good guide.  Let's celebrate HIV long survivors.  I worked for GSK for 22 years and the company developed the two base drugs for the cocktail that started to extend people's lives and developed several more.  I will celebrate Baby Boomers Day.  A good quote from WC Fields, his movies were full of those lines.  

Thanks for the comestibles, I love deviled eggs and look forward to those recipes, pass on the cocktail, will take my bourbon straight but another beautiful German Riesling.  Thanks for researching these for us each day.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations Reports.  Prayers for Chuck, Tana, Jacqui, Terri and her DH and everyone else needing them.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own Ukraine, the hostages, dwindling with four new deaths announced, and the innocents in Gaza.  @swin26 welcome and safe travels to your cruise.  Thanks for the photos of Milo and Sadie @StLouisCruisers, enjoy your day in Keil.  I loved visiting Germany by land. 

Our dinner was fun last night but I overcooked the ribs on the Big Green Egg, some were edible but we had a big salad, corn casserole and baked beans so no one went hungry.  I sat on our patio set dining chair for two hours and when I got up I could barely walk.  Even sleeping was painful but I slept.  Another day on 40mg of Prednisone, if I am not better with better seating choices I guess I will have to go to the Marshfield Hospital in Iron  Mountain ER and try to have them get me an injection to stop the pain.  Thankfully sitting in my recliner with my knees raised and pillow beneath is a relief and doesn't kill me when I get up.  It is raining now, badly needed and John got the sprinklers running yesterday the O-rings we bought in town were the wrong sized so he used flexible caulk and it worked.  Our boat is going in this afternoon, perfect timing as I am not able to do hard work so we can fish.  My brother called me yesterday from his hospital room and he said the hospital was much better than his previous one with excellent care, we'll see how it goes today.  Have a lovely Wednesday!  Nancy 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good collection of days - thanks @grapau27 for the explanation of Delusions Day. Yes to the meal says spice, pass on the drink & wine (kerosene?), not been to the port - thanks @richwmn for the wonderful pictures.

SMH @Cruzin Terri hope DH is ok and y'all can enjoy the trip. 

Hugs @Sharon in AZ that Blue feels better soon. 

Ugh @Nickelpenny on the 100+ temps.

Currently 68° w/97% humidity headed to 93° Flash flood warning until 8am.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240605_063737.thumb.jpg.68f3c13302a123a7bcb625151e2dd474.jpg

20240605_063825.thumb.jpg.3a498785f859f1a1c6fa40d5812a5c7a.jpg

20240605_063630.thumb.jpg.e157bd760d87e13bdecac34925f78e6e.jpg

20240605_063654.thumb.jpg.71b3dda6a516004cc29d8f6cbfedb48e.jpg

20240605_063711.thumb.jpg.49c87533b39de1e0205430471a25069f.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a rainy central Texas.  A thunderstorm rolled in just after I got up.  It is 69F with a predicted high of 90F this afternoon.  The rain should be over in a couple of hours.  It is a good day to stay inside and clean the house.

I am part of the early wave of Baby Boomers having been born in March 1947; however, DH was born the year before there were Baby Boomers.   Thanks to Graham, @grapau27 I will recognize Popular Delusions Day.  It is good that many can survive HIV long term.

A funny quote from W. C. Fields.

I like deviled eggs, but I'm not fond of spicy ones.  We'll pass on the drink, and the unavailable wine.

We have not been to Mystery Island.

George Marshall's plan in 1947 to rebuild Europe after WWII was the beginning of the rebirth of the countries devastated by that war.

@StLouisCruisers  Thanks for the cute picture of Milo and Sadie, Sandi.  Good news that Ren and Colton will be able to graduate high school in December.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope all goes well with your time consuming appointment today. 

@Heartgrove  Jack, is the new harness helping with getting Sam on his feet?  I hope it's not needed often.

@swin26  Welcome to the Fleet Report/Daily.  Safe travels to Brussels today.  Enjoy your cruise on Rotterdam.

@richwmn  Rich, thanks for the pictures of Mystery Island.  It looks inviting and peaceful.

@smitty34877 Terry, it was good to read that today is starting off well.  

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry you are still in so much pain.  I hope the Prednisone works soon.

435174946_10229821501099624_1869551521254094305_n.jpg.ef98ef1efa131629f5971bb6aa73c5cc.jpg

438059156_122165430302038244_5328340043570731656_n.jpg.e8c169e4c921c15a4ed9732e7613138e.jpg

441958731_481179437599187_5770385234805281782_n.jpg.6c3f9c57a1aaeaa6e87afc21f234505e.jpg

442418904_427355090262318_783235584167890845_n.jpg.3774f65352d049bed5fe2a7a8f195ba9.jpg

447297648_312704645216200_1782939194367082384_n.jpg.e4ef65db38eb91697d9a27bb117c09a1.jpg

447458234_434022756262218_253954532587901852_n.jpg.9020cd1f1858993d1d8821f8d1f2448d.jpg

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 17

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!

@Cruzin TerriI  am so sorry that yesterday was so terrible. When  we were flying home from Tampa last year and I was so ill, DH asked the people at Delta if we could get wheel chairs once we landed in Atlanta.  The woman at the counter said, well she is sick, so I understand, but do you need 2?  I leaned over with all my germs, and looked at her.  I said "my husband has cancer and heart problems, do not judge a book by it's cover."  We arrived in Atlanta and there were 2 young girls with wheelchairs ready to push us all the way to baggage claim.  I asked the girl pushing me if she was a volunteer, turned out they were doing this because they were avoiding jail time for misdemeanors. They were very nice, and I gave both of them 20 bucks. 

I hope that you can see a doctor today for his injuries. I'm surprised that the airlines didnt take him yesterday.  :Looks bad for them.

Today we see a new doctor for DH's cancer.  He has had so many MOHS surgeries, and skin graphs  that the skin is very weak and the cancer is so very aggressive that a hole has opened up in the side of his cheek, that goes straight into his mouth and sinus. Not sure how much more surgery they can do now as the cancer is headed to his brain.  When I read about all of you going to see someone regarding a small basal cell problem, this is all happening  because DH didnt go see a doc when he should have. Cant stress enough, if something isnt right, get to a doc!

And then on Monday we meet with the oncologist when he goes in for his immunotherapy. I am taking today off, and I will take Monday off because I am hoping that after the appointments we can get some "field and meadow " time to let him think.  I know that the oncologist wants him off some of the pain meds he uses. But for some reason he doesnt understand to NOT double up using the liquid cream on his face.  I get very frustrated at times, and as his old doc said, "gotta watch him 24/7"  but that is very hard to do.

BFF sent me an email, and called last night-our mutual friend who procrastinated so much about seeing doctors that were "different" from him, and put off appointments until he got opinions that he wanted to hear, is going into hospice.  They believe that the cancer has now spread to his pancreas (it is in his kidneys, bladder, and lungs too) and there is nothing they can do.  He was told by a neighbor who is a doc at the hospital the truth.  I wish DH's docs would be so honest.  So we ignore the elephant in the room, and keep on truckin'.

I know way too much info, I apologize.  But you are the people I talk to, and you are the ones who can give me joy right now.

8ffa85109357118b4d08a0e28bbd18fc.png

FB_IMG_1551102804505-1024x745.jpg

Have a great day, and hug the ones you love-ALL the cats including the strays got a hug or a scritch yesterday.  They will today too.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

@Quartzsite Cruiser  Thanks for asking, Lenda. Sam really doesn't care for it so I have not been using it. We just increased our awareness of how he could slip and fall to prevent it. I decided against trying to return the harness but will keep it for the end. I envision that when it happens, we may need to wait a few days for the vet and it will help moving him. I noticed last night that he was reluctant to put his rear down in order to lay down after that circling that cats and dogs sometimes do. After he's gone, I will donate it to his Rescue organization or a local shelter.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 14

I'm from the middle of the first wave of the baby boom. I appreciated the explanation of the date for delusions day but I don't think that delusions need any encouragement.

Deviled eggs would be OK and maybe I'll make some. I'd probably like the drink, once anyway. For the wine, we're back to Weis Vineyards, this time for the Winzer Select Riesling K 2002. "This delicate off dry style Kabinett Riesling is bright and vibrant with classic white peach, flinty minerality, and lively lemony acidity on the finish in addition to more ripe tropical notes of kiwi and guava. The fuller body and slightly acidic backbone means it will age well and pairs with many different foods," $26.99.

catfish.jpg.e221ea0b031685dada74ea2175c7b486.jpg

• Like 22
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

I sub part-time on my schedule; I pick and choose when and where I want to work.  There is an app that the jobs post when the teacher requests a sub or I get a message from my friends.  It comes out to about 110 schools in the 2 districts combined but I really don't like elementary so that limits the schools I am willing to go to.  I aim for about 8 days/month but I have done as much as 15/month and as little as 2.5/month; last year I subbed for 75.5 days between the 2 districts.  I love it!!  

In Los Angeles I had jury duty with a woman who was a substitute teacher for Los Angeles, Burbank, and Glendale. She gave preference to Los Angeles, because if she taught enough days per year she could participate in their health insurance, and almost always worked at the same school. In their system, your priority rose when you accepted sub calls and fell when you didn't. She disliked teaching the first or last week of the school year, so she marked herself as "on vacation" those weeks.

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Being born in the mid 50's, I'm definitely a Baby Boomer, so will celebrate that.  Thanks for the explanation of Popular Delusions - I had no idea what that was about.  Thank goodness for the development of medications that help extend and improve the lives of those with HIV.  I'd only heard of Vanuatu from Survivor - thanks @richwmn for the photos.

Another grey, windy day out there for us this morning.  We had some good rain yesterday, but it was patchy in the city.  We took a walk to the park a few houses away and looked toward downtown where we could see it was raining hard - we were under clouds, but totally dry.  We had rain later in the afternoon, but not the amount that fell in the city centre.  Today you might want to hold small children by the hand, as some of the gusts are up to 75k (45mph), otherwise they may take flight!

Speaking of flight - @swin26 welcome to the Daily and I hope your flight to Rotterdam is uneventful.  

@Cruzin Terriwhat a horrible day for the two of you!  I'd definitely contact both the airline and airports to tell them of the lack of service.  I do hope getting your DH to the medical office will help restore some calm to both of your lives.  You deserve a break!!!

@marshhawksending prayers and good vibes for you and DH today as you venture off to another medical appointment.  Surely someone can offer some relief, other than just increasing the medication!!!

@ottahand7I hope you can get some relief from your pain - you've gone to your summer place to relax, not be uncomfortable.

Not much happening for us today - DH is going out for coffee with his bandmates, one of which will come by and pick him up.  I'll use his away time to do some house cleaning without him hovering around wanting to help.  I was thinking of doing some of the outside windows, but with the wind and pollen blowing about, it would be an exercise in futility.

I'm going to pass on the drink (bourbon), and the wine, but would like to try some of the devilled eggs.  I haven't made them in ages, as DH doesn't care for eggs, but when I see them on a tray at a barbecue, I always grab a couple.  Because it's a cool day out, I think I'll make DH's favourite lemon garlic pasta with a tossed salad that we can enjoy in the comfort of our kitchen tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in turmoil.  Cheers to all who have celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

80s and cloudy, heading into some light showers this evening and then rain tomorrow morning. We tried to walk outside to the voting area yesterday (NJ Primary) but it was too muggy for us. It is so nice to be able to walk between all our buildings on campus using the indoor sky bridges. Both of us struggled a bit with our hips on the walk over so we took the campus bus back…. seems we’re never the same two days in a row!  

I drove over to the haircut place in the shopping center alone!  First time driving alone here since we moved in!  I need to gain confidence, and I am, slowly. 

@ottahand7 Nancy, I used to get relief from ice packs on my SI when I’d have a flare up. Ice and a steroid burst pack. I too learned to sleep “folded like a taco”. I hope today is better! Gentle hugs!  

@Cruzin Terri,Terri, you’ve had a rough start to your vacation!  Take today as it comes, care for Jim with love and understanding-it’s hard for him and hard for you in different ways, and sometimes we just have to do hard things… you have and you will!! Breathe in the beauty around you and breathe out the angst. 
We’re here for you!  Extra hugs to you 🤗

@marshhawk Annie, you are in a tough spot with Chuck’s compounding maladies. I’m glad you are taking some time off to walk alongside him through this, and able to give him some space too. It’s frustrating and scary, and sometimes we just have to keep going, doing it scared.  I’m glad you keep posting. And I’m glad you have your kitties for a wee bit of comfort!  

@Heartgrove Jack, I’m sorry the harness isn’t helping. I’m sure your efforts get through to Sam. 

Debbie @dfish I hope you can get little bit of walking in. Half an hour for half a mile will just have to do for now! Or maybe half that twice?  You are listening to your body, even when no two days are alike. 

Today is social security day. I’ll start with the phone call and see if I can get guidance on whether I can do it online (their website is really quite good) or if I’ll need to go in person (ugh!). 🤞 It’ll all happen!  

🛳️ Cheers to all our cruisers!  
Blessings to all in need- big, scary needs, and little everyday needs that can mount up to what seem like major battles!  
Thanks all for being here!  Sharing the joys and the sorrows!  Take the extra time to stay safe! No hurries no worries!  
Maureen

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

I’m a mid-baby boomer, my dad was in the wartime army, mom and dad married in June of ‘45, and I’m the youngest child; DH was born during the war, his dad was too old for service. We are 12 years apart which has its own challenges… I can’t keep up with him! 🤣

I had one extended family member land on the beaches of D-day, Gold beach I think. He survived that and the Battle of the Bulge. For 6 years something like 30,000 people per day were lost!  Can’t get my head around that!  

Mystery Island looks so beautiful. Thanks for the pix Rich! In 2013 on our crossing to Sydney on Volendam we stopped in the main port of Vanuatu, not a paradise. m—

• Like 27

If there were a dozen deviled eggs in front of me, I would eat them all!  (unless they were made with Miracle whip...most disgusting thing in the world) (well almost).

Came back from walking the dog, very disturbing, we were stalked by Collard Greens the whole time, and of course the dog who hates everything was a bit rattled.  She would look behind her, and the cat was there, but we would go a few more steps, and the cat was behind a tree.    Go a few more steps and the cat was there, and then a few more, and the cat was under a shrub.  I giggled the whole time......

Bad dog beware! 

• Like 15
  • Haha 17

9 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

If there were a dozen deviled eggs in front of me, I would eat them all!  (unless they were made with Miracle whip...most disgusting thing in the world) (well almost).

The great Miracle Whip debate!  My friend made the best deviled eggs so I ask her for her recipe.  She said the key was Miracle Whip.  So now I keep a jar in the frig for when I make deviled eggs with pickle relish.  

I usually make “spicy” deviled eggs.  The spice is Old Bay on top instead of paprika.  They are also the first empty platter at a picnic or potluck.  People often ask me if I put crab meat in them.

Today, a special shout out to the Food & Beverage department for their hard work every day!

Positive thoughts to those who are struggling. Cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Happy Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Four great days to celebrate, including the day in 1947.  There’s another reason to Celebrate D-Day today, as it is the planned start of the operation and some ships had already left England, but was pushed back a day due to severe storms..

The quote sounds a bit sarcastic to me...

I visited Mystery Island from the Crystal Serenity in 2018..

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Pinnacle Caesar Salad, Petit Filet, and Baked Alaska as served on MS Prinsendam Pinnacle Grill on June 5, 2015.

It’s starting out warm but there’s a cool front with possible thunderstorms coming later today.  My tests from the cardiologist are scheduled for June 14.  They require sedation and I will not be able to drive, and I am not looking forward to the process.  There was also a bloodwork order for these tests and I took care of that after my walk this morning..

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Daily!!  Great days to commemorate!!  And W. C. got it right -- let's do it all equally -- (or not at all!)

I'm not a 'spicy' gal...  but i do like a small bit of heat in what i eat!  I may try one of the deviled eggs recipes!  ANd I agree, I'm right handed...  May we drink this drink with the right hand?  I'm afraid I'd spill or miss my lips if I didn't...  😉

@swin26 Have a great cruise!  I've only been on board once, since Covid...

@Quartzsite Cruiser  You're right about the temps I posted -- they are the "Feels Like" Heat Index temps of the day!  The humidity does make it feel even more sticky and hot!!!  It IS early in the season for 'this' hot -- but...  It's Texas, we can handle it!!

@RedneckBob  I feel for y'all in Florida, too!  It seems you get the same heat and humidity!!

I survived the heat and thank those of you who commented...  I pray every night that the air conditioning continues to work and we stay cooler inside!!!  It won't get cooler till October...  So I'm acclimating for 2024!!!

• Like 30

26 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I CONCUR!!!  Bravo!!!  If you could see my face, you'd see disgust and illness as I read the words 'Miracle Whip'...

10 minutes ago, 0106 said:

The great Miracle Whip debate!  My friend made the best deviled eggs so I ask her for her recipe.  She said the key was Miracle Whip.  So now I keep a jar in the frig for when I make deviled eggs with pickle relish.  

I usually make “spicy” deviled eggs.  The spice is Old Bay on top instead of paprika.  They are also the first empty platter at a picnic or potluck.  People often ask me if I put crab meat in them....

Oooo...  Old Bay and not Paprika, what a great idea!!!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pauline's late dad's brother escaped a German Prisoner of war camp.

He escaped when the prisoner's were being marched between camps by 2 German guard's 1 at the front and 1 at the back and on a bend they were out of sight briefly of both guards and he and another rolled down a hill and the other prisoners quickly closed up so they were not discovered until the others got to the other camp.

He managed to get back to England and when he recovered he was sent to the D Day landings which he survived and he only died several years ago.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 16