itinerary change

We are on the December23rd sailing of the Beyond.  We just received word that the itinerary has changed without any explanation.  I know that it is Celebrity's decision to make changes, but don't we, as passengers, deserve an explanation considering we chose this cruise for the entire schedule. Are there any compensations for these changes?

Thank you

I have not heard of compensation as they stipulate things can change. If you booked an excursion through Celebrity for the cancelled port, they will refund your money for that.   (Ports can change for a variety of reasons ie projected water level too low, ports restricting number of vessels etc)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bstein493 said:

We are on the December23rd sailing of the Beyond.  We just received word that the itinerary has changed without any explanation.  I know that it is Celebrity's decision to make changes, but don't we, as passengers, deserve an explanation considering we chose this cruise for the entire schedule. Are there any compensations for these changes?

Thank you

According to the cruise contract that we sign, we get nothing other than notification of said change which may be before or during the cruise.

• Like 2

At the end of the day does it really matter what the reason is? Yes I guess just to satisfy ones curiosity but I would rather know what the new itinerary will be. I think you are entitled to that. Rule of thumb. If you are dead set on seeing a particular country book a land vacation. Otherwise be prepared for changes do to political unrest, weather at the last minute after you are at sea, or just about any reason reasonable or not. Enjoy your cruise. You may like the new port of calls better.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bstein493 said:

Thank you

I personally appreciate an explanation by the cruise line about itinerary changes, but the email they sent you announcing this change (they DID send you an email announcing the change, right? That's how you know about it, right?) often has some detail about why the change was made. This is good enough for me. I don't expect them to go into great detail about such things.

As for compensation, I have seen situations where compensation was given for changes, and occasionally there's a refund opportunity when they do so. When it's just one port changed multiple months before sailing, compensation is almost never offered. At most, it will be the difference in port fees added to your OBC onboard.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Be assured that the crew will do their best to make you happy despite this change.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

How different is the new itin?  

Did the length of the cruise change?

That happened to us once....became a longer cruise which made us have a date conflict..so we cancelled...no penalty.

7 hours ago, Bstein493 said:

Thank you

What was changed? Can you show us the old itinerary and the new itinerary?

17 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

What was changed? Can you show us the old itinerary and the new itinerary?

Bonaire is out; Grand Cayman substituted instead. This according to the roll call. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, mahdnc said:

Bonaire is out; Grand Cayman substituted instead. This according to the roll call. 

In our opinion, not a great swap.. we don't get off at GC anymore .Tendering is a pain,  and GC gets crowded including beaches...Not worth it  unless folks enjoy snorkel or diving excursions.... 

Bonaire is much easier to access and fun for us. We would just have to accept the swap if booked.. Disappointing for some!

looks like a holiday cruise???

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Christmas/NYE sailing.  

Also Curaçao is shown on Celebrity website as being 1130a - 800p. I’m guessing that was a result of a change made to accommodate the switch in ports. 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

Oh bummer. So an ABC island cruise. I would be disappointed about this change as well. Like @hcat, we don’t get off in GC. Another thing to be aware of is that while in GC the only bar that’s open is on the pool deck…along with a few walk up bar carts also on the pool deck. At least this was our experience in the past. 

While disappointing, I’m sure you will have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bikerunner said:

I believe Bonaire limits the amount of cruise ships in port I only think they allow one a day.  I am assuming this is the issue overall. 

FYI, this is true yet is a newer rule so due to existing contracts, there can be two large ships in port

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bstein493 said:

Thank you

Not really on both questions...

Posted (edited)

Typically when a cruise line changes an itinerary it is due to situations that are not in their direct control, of which there can be many.  Also typically the only "compensation" is a return of port fess and taxes for any port missed.  Sometimes as a gesture they may add some amount of non-refundable OBC to your stateroom account, depending on the circumstances and port(s) missed. But, unfortunately, itinerary changes are rather common and part of the cruise industry circumstances.

If an itinerary has a significant deviation during the cruise or if circumstances force an itinerary cancellation, along with some amount of fare refunds, a future cruise credit may be issued to help offset the impact to the passengers.  But these extreme circumstances are somewhat rare and not examples of typical itinerary changes.

Sorry for the frustration that this causes - we've experienced it as well.  But it is unfortunately, as mentioned, a part of cruising.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Bonaire passed a policy last year that only one ship per day could visit, unless a second ship held less than 700 people. It looks like there's a Seven Seas ship scheduled for the same day as the Beyond, so Celebrity may have decided to just go ahead and avoid any questions or really last-minute changes and move ports now.

• Thanks 1

Beware for what you request.    I've had numerous changes on Celebrity as well as most recently Oceania.    The have almost always give the cause as -  "Operational Issues"  -   Now that sure helped understand.

Sometimes if you google you might get a clue.   e.g. the reason for the Amsterdam/Rotterdam changes.   Due to Saline Intrusion into the watersystem.   This caused the port of Amsterdam to change the number of ships and hours when ships can come through the locks.

Also many cruises along the West Coast had schedule changes due to Whale Migration and ships required to sail at much slower speeds. 

• Like 3

We were on Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas and did Aruba and Curacao.  When I inquired as to why we did not do Bonaire I was told the port was too shallow for the larger ships.  Seemed reasonable at the time.  We were not scheduled to go to Bonaire so it was not a big deal to me. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bstein493 said:

Thank you

Happens ALL the time...It's disappointing. If you are willing to change, you could call & they MIGHT change you to another date that gets you what you wanted. If you booked a refundable deposit, you can cancel.

1 hour ago, NanaPam00 said:

Bonaire passed a policy last year that only one ship per day could visit, unless a second ship held less than 700 people. It looks like there's a Seven Seas ship scheduled for the same day as the Beyond, so Celebrity may have decided to just go ahead and avoid any questions or really last-minute changes and move ports now.

Looking at cruisemapper, this appears to be the case--there is never more than one ship there on any given day, looking at the next few months.

6 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Oh no, Bonaire is my favorite snorkeling island,  I would be upset.

I would be very disappointed as well. We visited Bonaire in Feb on the Beyond so I know too shallow of a port is not the reason. We loved Bonaire and thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Island by golf cart of which we were able to stop and enjoy some beaches. It was great not having to tender. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mauimary said:

We visited Bonaire in Feb on the Beyond so I know too shallow of a port is not the reason.

Harmony, mentioned above, is a lot larger ship than anything in the Celebrity fleet.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

We were on Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas and did Aruba and Curacao.  When I inquired as to why we did not do Bonaire I was told the port was too shallow for the larger ships.  Seemed reasonable at the time.  We were not scheduled to go to Bonaire so it was not a big deal to me. 

We were in Bonaire for a week in Feb.  Yes,  near the cruise ship dock there are reefs and schools of fish.  We had dinner near the pier and watched the sail away.  

The town is so cute and the food is great, I would buy a house there if I could, I love it so.😍

BTW, the towns' businesses are so disheartened when the cruise ships aren't allowed to dock.

Edited by Judyrem
Mistake

15 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

We were in Bonaire for a week in Feb.  Yes,  near the cruise ship dock there are reefs and schools of fish.  ]

We last visited Bonaire in 2019.  We did a dive at a reef by the cruise pier (1st photo) and also at the Salt Pier further south (2nd photo).

image.thumb.jpeg.92d96a44fac4c1761791effa0ed25ea2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5ba93450d9b3f4befd88e6f985fd23a9.jpeg

• Like 2