The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 11th, 2024

Today is Bowdler's Day, Cheer Up The Lonely Day, and Day of The Five Billion

Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.--Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist

Meal Suggestion for today - Immunity Soup
Drink of the Day - Stinger
Wine of the Day - Totara Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Maceio, Brazil

Today in History:
1533 Pope Clement VII excommunicates England's King Henry VIII

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

Reykjavik, Iceland

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2100

Oosterdam

Giardini Naxos-Taormina, Sicily Italy 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Reykjavik, Iceland ovnt - 17:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Quebec City, Canada eta 07-12

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska eta 07-12

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Saint Anthony, Newfoundland eta 7/13

0711Alaska.thumb.png.6da196bce7ac2ebba3c0daa63d0b7629.png

0711Atlantic.thumb.png.f73b3e83e7202b4c981474365a5e0009.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 26

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed, planning a move

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection, in pain

Luvteaching's DM with a fall and pacemaker placement

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

StLouisCruisers’ twin needing a shoulder replacement

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer, MRI today

Ottahand7’s DB Nick post re-do knee replacement, with issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 51st Birthday to Fr. David

Dfish feeling better

RMLincoln’s DH weaned off eye drops

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Marina July 16 to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

luvteaching (Westerdam to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 21
  • Thanks 26

Good morning friends!  We moved our clocks back another hour last night and are now only 2 hours ahead of Eastern time.  It was still foggy, cold and wet when we left Nuuk last night after 11 p.m.  Today we are headed towards St. Anthony, Newfoundland due to arrive Saturday the 13th.  The weather right now is mostly overcast and 39F.  The ship is rolling along at 17 knots.  Today at breakfast we noticed the Zuiderdam Zoo of towel animals by the Lido pool.  They have quite an extensive collection and some of the largest animals or persons made of towels and blankets I’ve ever seen on a ship.  At 6:30 a.m. a large iceberg floated by on the port side so for your enjoyment and cooling pleasure here is a photo of it.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  A diverse group of days to celebrate or recognize.  My favorite is Cheer Up the Lonely Day!  The other two concern censorship and world population.  As for the quote nothing wrong with seeing the dawn before the rest of the world.  An interesting name for the soup today so that should be a recipe to check out later.  The drink sounds dangerous, but I would try the Sauvignon Blanc.  No surprise about King Henry VIII.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your excellent reports today.

Prayers for my DB, twin sister and Alex/Jordan’s baby boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the poor hostages still held, and our men and women in uniform keeping us safe from afar.  Prayers for the Care list folks, especially those with procedures on the agenda.  Good luck to Chuck @catmando and to Annie @marshhawk, his caretaker.  Hoping Jacqui @kazu is making progress getting help with her home projects, care for Ivan next week and preparing for her surgery.  Many prayers for Tana and help getting some of her appetite back.   Blessings to Terry @smitty34877, the teenager and the rest of the family as they take care of all the details of Tana’s care.   A salute to all celebrating a special event and to the cruisers.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your good work on the lists!

The port of the day is a new one, Maceio, Brazil.  That is not a port I’ve seen before even on the Amazon River cruise.  No links to post either.  Hopefully someone here has something to tell us and photos to show us about Maceio, Brazil.  Thanks in advance.

It’s Orange Party Night so I’ll pull out the dress with orange in the design and wear that to dinner.  Am I going to stay up and dance the night away?  Nope!  I like a quiet evening after dinner.  Hoping you all enjoy your Thursday.  Stay safe and keep well. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

80 this AM with a high of 92 with summer afternoon showers but I’m not sure as it’s weather.

I’m not sure what a couple of the days are about.

I’m not sure about the quote.

I’m not sure what immunity soup is but I’m betting it has some chicken in it.

I guess I’m not sure about a lot of things.

I am sure I’ve never been to Brazil.

I am sure that I want everyone to have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.

Thank you for today's FR &D.

It is cloudy and 55°F here at 11.40am.

3 interesting days.

I will give today's food and drink a miss although the wine sounds great.

Never been to today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for better health to those on the care list.

I wish everyone a happy day.

Screenshot_20240711_113728.jpg

Screenshot_20240711_113712.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 21

8 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed, planning a move

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection, in pain

Luvteaching's DM with a fall and pacemaker placement

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

StLouisCruisers’ twin needing a shoulder replacement

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer, MRI today

Ottahand7’s DB Nick post re-do knee replacement, with issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 51st Birthday to Fr. David

Dfish feeling better

RMLincoln’s DH weaned off eye drops

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Marina July 16 to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

luvteaching (Westerdam to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

Thank you Vanessa for remembering Father David's 51st birthday today.

We gave him his birthday card and had a good chat with him yesterday after our church service.

• Like 27

Good morning!!

Happy Birthday Fr. David!!

I think celebrating a prude or a genius is a silly day...  I like that!

And honoring the day the world population hit 5 Billion is amazing...  and that was more than 35 years ago...

And Cheering up the Lonely should be every day, when we can!!

I've not heard of Immunity Soup -- I look forward to that recipe!  

I bet a Stinger is full of booze!  And a Sauvignon Blanc is usually very nice!

Someday, I may see Brazil...

I pray for all those listed and those with needs and concerns never mentioned!

And, HUGS for each of you!!!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Stinger cocktail:

The Stinger is a pre-Prohibition drink composed simply of cognac and white crème de menthe. The odd couple is quite a pair, producing a cocktail that’s sweet, strong, minty and refreshing—the ideal interplay for an after-dinner nightcap.

The exact origins of the Stinger are murky, but it appeared in print at least as far back as 1914, when Jacques Straub included it in his book “Drinks.” In the book “Imbibe!,” drinks historian and author David Wondrich reports that the Stinger is most famously associated with Reginald Vanderbilt—yes, of the Vanderbilts. A 1923 Ohio newspaper article even credited him with the invention, noting that he was fond of serving them to guests at his home beginning two decades prior. So, it seems we can thank ol’ Reggie for giving us this classic.

Vanderbilt’s taste for the Stinger solidified its high-society bonafides, and for decades the drink was associated with the upper class. It even appeared in the 1956 movie “High Society” starring Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby, and James Bond drinks one in the 1956 novel “Diamonds Are Forever.” The Stinger remained popular in the United States, inside and outside of pop culture, until about the 1970s when it fell out of favor.
Ingredients:
1 3/4 oz Cognac,
2/3 oz White crème de menthe

Preparation: Pour in a mixing glass with ice, stir and strain into a cocktail glass. May also be served on rocks in a rocks glass.

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 6.51.29 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 19

Good sunny 77 degrees morning. Today for the first time in a week it will be below 90 and lower humidity. Unfortunately, it won’t last long. 
@grapau27, Birthday blessings to Father David. May he continue to be an asset to your congregation.

Stay cool and safe everyone.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Happy Thursday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Highs in the upper 80s today. Just a tad cooler. We had a very brief bit of rain overnight. Expecting more tomorrow. Today I have several clients and my class later this evening. Rather busy. 90 days until my cruise!

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and health day. 

thursday meme - Google Search | Have a great thursday, Kitten, Crazy cats

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich and thanks to the F & B team for their ongoing contributions.

Finally caught up on yesterday’s Daily this morning when CC was working.  I am SO behind - behind on CC, spread sheets and FCL and have to find time to catch up later today if possible.  The task at hand has taken priority.  It didn’t sound like much but it’s more than I thought LOL.

Getting the house ready - have set a deadline for the weekend.  I don’t know how Ivan will be after his surgery and he may not ge up to being taken out for a couple of hours.  I don’t want it shown Monday night as Ivan has to fast and I won’t be able to reward him.  So it has to be the weekend.  

Neighbours bring boxes, I fill them as best as my legs permit and my guy moves them to the garage.  My neighbours take them away to donate to really good charity a few miles away.  He’ll be back tonight to move more boxes and help in the basement.  he’s like me and doesn’t want to put unneeded things in the landfill and will post for me on FB when ready for people to come and help themselves.

It would all be so much faster if my legs worked but as long as I can get the worst done for thw weekend, it will be good enough.

Prayers for those on the Care list and all who need them.  Take care everyone.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily Rich and thank you @grapau27 so that we know what today's days mean.  I think I won't celebrate those two but it is always nice to reach out to the lonely.    I haven't been to today's port, it must be an obscure one that ships much smaller than the HA ships that cruise the Amazon.   I don't really care for Wilde's quote.   I will withhold judgement on the soup, pass on the minty cocktail but another SB would be fine.

Happy 51st birthday to Father David.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations lists Vanessa.  My DB is heading home from the rehab facility since he has completed his IV antibiotics.  They can't culture his swollen knee until he waits 2 weeks to wash the antibiotics out of his system.  I pray he doesn't get worse because then they would have to guess what the problem is.  Prayers for Tana, Terry, Bonnie, Terri, Chuck and Annie.  Jacqui I hope you have found a sitter for Ivan and your home sale process continues as planned. Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own.  

We woke to a very cool cabin with the outside temperature going down to 51.  It is getting up to 80 so we will have a nice cool cabin to retreat to.   Our dinner with neighbors was fun last night but we purposely left early as our host hurt his eye and had to go to the ER in town.  They are returning to Joliet for treatment today so we didn't want to linger when they will have to pack up and leave this morning.  Have a lovely day.  Nancy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich. Our rainy season has finally arrived. It has been raining off and on since late yesterday morning. No need to add water to the pool. I wish I had remembered to turn off my irrigation system. I hate to waste water. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. I love that you included Father David’s birthday!

Gym, manicure, Bindi walks, chores, maybe some pool time. 

IMG_3140.jpeg.2dc408128576a6f8d2d926918dab631c.jpeg

IMG_3138.jpeg.bfd28436a4fa970f470c7fa371c11cf0.jpeg

IMG_3133.jpeg.054c0b3730e5d105edee6402f74aaa71.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying that today is a good day, and your appetite makes a comeback!  Prayers for all the caregivers. Please take care of yourselves. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @grapau27 Graham, please wish Father David a Happy Birthday!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Totara Sauvignon Blanc 2022

Another lovely sounding SB from New Zealand. I used the 2022 vintage info, since it seemed to be the most available. Easy to find and priced to try. Consumers love this one. Online prices start at $12.99.

Distributor notes

Totara Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is a vibrant and expressive wine from New Zealand's renowned Marlborough region.Crafted from sun-kissed Sauvignon Blanc grapes grown in diverse alluvial soils and cooler Awatere Valley vineyards, this wine captures the essence of Marlborough's unique terroir.

TASTING NOTES

Nose: A captivating bouquet unfolds with an explosion of tropical fruit aromas, dominated by passion fruit, guava, and pineapple. Zesty citrus notes of grapefruit and lime add a vibrant touch, while hints of fresh herbs and grassy notes create a complex and alluring nose.
Palate: Medium-bodied and refreshingly crisp, the palate bursts with juicy flavors of citrus and tropical fruits, mirroring the aromas. A vibrant acidity dances on the tongue, balanced by a subtle minerality and a hint of honeydew melon. The wine's textural richness is enhanced by subtle oak-derived notes, adding depth and complexity.
Finish: Clean and invigorating, the finish lingers with lingering impressions of grapefruit, passion fruit, and a touch of mineral tang. It leaves you wanting another sip and invites you to explore the next mouthful.

FOOD PAIRING

Totara Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is a versatile food pairing partner. Its vibrant acidity and juicy fruit flavors make it an ideal match for seafood dishes, such as oysters, grilled fish, and ceviche. It also complements fresh salads, roasted vegetables, and creamy cheeses. For a bold pairing, try it with Thai or Indian cuisine.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone!

The remains of Beryl have moved out and we are told that we will have a bright sunshiny day with a high of 80 today.  That seems perfect to me.  I'm going to yoga and Sue and Rita will hit the dog park.  Despite the rain yesterday they managed some time at the dog park.  Sue said Rita had a great time splashing in puddles.  We plan to take her for a bath tomorrow afternoon before my DS and DBIL return home.  

Immunity Soup is filled with tons of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.  It should help prevent most colds and flus.  I don't know about falls and sprains, but it might help there as well.  This first one will also ward off vampires with all the garlic in it.  Garlic is a super food and is really good for whatever ails you!  Detox Immunity Soup

immunitysoup2.thumb.jpg.6202f0817c6311eea507f6306ab7a474.jpg

In addition to the garlic, this one has a good amount of turmeric and ginger in it.  How can we resist?   Healing Immunity Soup

immunitysoup1.thumb.jpg.113db80d940db03581068a29a9383ecb.jpg

This one is built on a white pepper broth and is totally different from the other two.  But, just as healthy!   Immunity Soup

immunitysoup3.thumb.jpg.e29d13385cb76833b7facea2afa0430f.jpg

So, if you're ailing, make one of these and then forever have it on hand.  I think they should serve it weekly on the BHBs to ward off Cruise Crud.  

Wishing  you all a wonderful day.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 23

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily updates.  I’m determined to make it to page 1 even though this cold is on full-throttle!  I’ll say yes to today’s meal suggestion but could have probably used it sooner!

I’ll celebrate cheer up the lonely day.  It’s important and should be celebrated frequently.

I like the quote but is seeing the dawn first a punishment or a reward? Punishment if you’re a vampire I’d think.

I have not been to today’s port.

Prayers for those who need them.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events.  Happy Birthday to @grapau27’s pastor Fr. David! 🎂

Edited by Mr. Boston
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Happy Birthday Father David.  Very late this morning, slept 75 minutes longer than planned,  Will try to be back later.

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

With depending on DSIL to watch Sam for our October Transatlantic, we decided to shorten our trip to just three weeks. She should be fully recovered from her surgery by then, but still! We are now flying in to Brussels and basing ourselves in Rotterdam. It requires the lowest amount of mileage for Premium Economy for the date and surrounding cities, but is 66K more than what we had for Zurich as originally planned. We had also planned on time in Switzerland and Northern Italy. But final payment has been made and it looks like my fifth try to sail on the Rotterdam will happen!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thank you to Graham @grapau27for explaining the days. I will skip the first two and reach out to another lonely person instead. The first soup recipe looks very good to me.We eat soup all year around because I like it! 
The dogs are going to the vet today for their various shots. The weather seems to be cooperating as the heavier rains went to upstate New York and took their winds with them. It will be warm but manageable.

Tana told me the edible helped with her nausea a bit but she felt no other effects. She is confident in her decision and will try to see if she is able to eat a little more later. We hope for the best.

@CruisingSister, Lorraine. I am sure that you will enjoy your cruise with your family and create great memories. My Massachusetts family is currently cruising with Camilla and her group is pretty large.

IMG_0008.jpeg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

The rain has moved out, it's sunny and this afternoon could be very hot again.  I got a load of laundry hung on the line this morning after Bertie and I had a walk.  I need to get some groceries, not sure what else is on the agenda.

Not sure about Dr Bowdler or celebrating 5 Billion but everyday should be Cheer up the Lonely day.

I don't agree with the quote.  See the dawn is not a punishment.

The soup and wine sound terrific.  I'll pass on the drink.

Prayers for so many.

Have a pleasant day.

• Like 30