The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 27th, 2024

Well, it's been a big whack a mole week.  Not much had been expected from  my surgical consult Thursday and I can't say there were any real surprises.  There is no minimally invasive option for my mitral valve and due to my history of COPD the verdict was that if they trued open heart surgery I would probably leave the hospital in a body bag.  

On the way back I stopped at Arbys for lunch and since it was next to a CVS I picked up a soft cervical collar.  It seems to have helped at times but not always.

My first PT appointment id for Tuesday.

I sent a message to my cardiologist yesterday about pain medication and she said it was mot desirable but ok on a limited basis.  She did recommend Naproxen over Ibuprofen.  I will pick some up at the grocery store on the way home from the fire house.

I've been sleeping better but my neck is very stiff today and my right shoulder is very sore.  I can put weight on it but it hurts if I move at all the wrong way.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 21

Posted (edited)

Interesting collection of days and the quote.

Today's drink reminded me that my DM used to make a grasshopper pie. NOT one of my favorites & I never got her recipe!

The concert on Thursday night was a mixed bag. One act was excellent & had the audience up & dancing. The other was, to be kind, not good. We left early. DS, who asked for the tickets as a bday present, kept apologizing all the way home -- I reminded him that he was not responsible for others!

Happy weekend! I plan to spend much of it watching the Olympics. I enjoyed the Opening Ceremonies & had tears in my eyes when Celine Dion sang.

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Sunny and dry today. High will be in the upper 80's. At least it cools down and night and my condo gets comfortable. We have increasing heat forecast for next week.... and no rain.

Noisy right now.... the tree service is working on the dead trees that I have been trying to get taken care of for ages. Various males in several buildings said they would do it .... never got done so I called a friend who runs a tree service. He gave us a good deal... I got the ok from the relieved people in the 3 buildings affected and we are getting all spiffed up ... and more importantly, reducing the fire danger a bit. Dog will miss a couple of those trees.

Not much news from here. @rafinmdHope you can get some relief for the shoulder and neck.

Best wishes to all.

Susan

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

So far today I've done some cleanup/trimming/weeding of the beds and shrubs.  Then I moved the bistro table and chairs into the garage where I washed them, let them dry then applied the product I purchased for my project, Rejuvenate Outdoor Color Restorer.  It's the first time I used this product having used Rust-oleum Recolor before.  That product had its pros and cons.  One was the odor and that you must use gloves.  Another was sometimes the product would have dried up in the package and you never knew if that was the case when you ordered or bought it.  The Rejuvenate product is liquid, doesn't smell terrible and you don't even have to wear gloves to apply.  I hope it lasts a long time.  I haven't done the mailbox yet because mail still hasn't arrived, and the mailbox is the most damaged and in need of restoring.  I did wash the ornamental mailbox post off, and used the restorer on it.  I have a feeling the mailbox will need two coats.  Just twiddling my thumbs waiting for the mail carrier!  We will remove it, take it into the garage to work on and leave it there until Monday before we reinstall it.

4 hours ago, Mtn2Sea said:

We stopped at today’s port, Warnemunde, Germany, this past May while aboard the Zuiderdam.  Rather than taking the very long excursion to Berlin, we took an afternoon excursion that first stopped at Bad Doberan’s gothic cathedral, which was built between 1294 and 1368.  Unlike most cathedrals, this church is in a country setting instead of being in the center of town.  The structure currently is undergoing extensive restoration.  We next rode the Molli, a historic narrow-gauge steam train that gave us views of small towns as well as the countryside.  After our 30 minute ride on the train, we then went to Kühlungsborn, a popular seaside resort town.

The cathedral at Bad Doberman.

IMG_6065.thumb.jpeg.48787126c531f17cd270fa44be8a807d.jpeg

IMG_6064.thumb.jpeg.9dd911cb3ee985887b5f3c98d5b9628c.jpeg

IMG_6063.thumb.jpeg.5c7b14fdc5e232e461b1d1a22a8068ff.jpeg

IMG_6062.thumb.jpeg.55894e8c9a3baec52c8c6631f508157c.jpeg

IMG_6056.thumb.jpeg.f45a1119a22c617221883de09560b3a2.jpeg

IMG_6055.thumb.jpeg.e2774f3a21c0e7700e3fcabf1525ef8c.jpeg

IMG_6054.thumb.jpeg.2e7b52b6556f1de21acd0215dab4af99.jpeg

IMG_6052.thumb.jpeg.8f2f2d94e2b7db8c1307549f03fa86c1.jpeg

The Molli train ride.

IMG_6061.thumb.jpeg.510f64d062f5705c052a50adc28eb2fe.jpeg

IMG_6057.thumb.jpeg.8683157bb5476b45fc7d1cb62db2398f.jpeg

IMG_6058.thumb.jpeg.b62e1771bb692174b0ac3c18301b95f3.jpeg

The seaside resort town of Kühlungsborn. 

IMG_6066.thumb.jpeg.afef6d15821cb7d0514f8b73ee06b923.jpeg

IMG_6059.thumb.jpeg.865914b8ee3df92b101d3b5e3e3ffa0c.jpeg

IMG_6060.thumb.jpeg.56a743cd6f778790444d214ce3fcf551.jpeg

I've really enjoyed seeing your photos today.  It must have been an interesting tour.

3 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Yesterday we got the floor of the new shed done and all the walls are standing. It was so hot that after five hours and the threat of thunder storms we decided to complete the roof today. I am so disappointed in myself. One of my jobs was to put the plastic washers on the little screws. My OLD hands had a horrible time doing that.  Maybe I can blame it on having a finger cut off and sewed back, and having my hand crushed from a fire hose. No, it's probably just old age.  I will snap a picture of the finished produce today. I am so blessed to have two sons that help their Mom. 

Please don't be disappointed in yourself.  All of us suffer from old age eventually if we're lucky!  😉  I'm so glad to see you back here once in a while Linda.  We missed you!

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

In 2016 on our last Baltic cruise on Prinsendam, we were in Warnemunde on August 1.  Since we had been to Berlin, we decided to rent a car and visit some of the towns to the west.  The weather that day was a mixed bag of sun, heavy clouds and rain.  Most of the rain was while we were on the autobahn.

That day we visited Lubeck, Schwerin, Wismir, Bad Doberan, and Rostock. 

Our first stop was Lubeck, the furthest west we drove.  It is an old walled city known for its gothic style red brick buildings.  In Medieval times it was the capital of the Hanseatic League.  Only the city gate remains of the wall, and it has a decided list as one side is sinking.

DSC05380.thumb.JPG.6d799024a351880800590bf2a0b536e7.JPG

The back side of the city gate

DSC05383.thumb.JPG.5000ee36d12f9f3f300d4e0c3dfd2ae3.JPG

The first building you see after passing the city gate.  

DSC05385.thumb.JPG.12cb165e3076c812a18cbebff56db9f9.JPG

It might have been the building above, but somewhere nearby, we were at a high point and these are pictures of Lubeck and the Trave River.

DSC05399.thumb.JPG.fd62c98feda97e5005c80cd3c5e86caa.JPG

DSC05400.thumb.JPG.84a1c8b72e5452c586df72f0efefa54f.JPG

DSC05398.thumb.JPG.1e4793c35186eedff13a1f794618ef90.JPG

This picture was probably taken in Wismir.

DSC05409.thumb.JPG.c426de2e2f328c170d7ad24a6f9356d0.JPG

Schwerin Castle   We could not find a parking place, so we did not tour the castle.

DSC05412.thumb.JPG.379b5cdfb2729d9d46d2dd65f895f6e6.JPG

DSC05417.thumb.JPG.d530794c74c0b253e21168c54205f0ca.JPG

The area cross from the bridge to the castle.  

DSC05420.thumb.JPG.a4318671d6299ad7f3f5f1db5b744a57.JPG

I believe these were taken in Bad Doberan, and we just made it back to the car before it stated raining again.

DSC05424.thumb.JPG.7b57a0f1bd86e41ea69a55ecb2300fb7.JPG

DSC05425.thumb.JPG.9a749933b362bfb4cbd035b93e82f2c4.JPG

DSC05428.thumb.JPG.464157623b51dddb04e90f4eed1881eb.JPG

On the way back to the ship, we drove around Rostock, but did not find anything interesting to stop to see.  We also drove around Warnemunde, and  this is the church.

DSC05443.thumb.JPG.57fbf8a89eef584a5da8fcaf604c2b1f.JPG

DSC05446.thumb.JPG.7877a817a4bd751c75b6f581d20ad0e9.JPG

Lenda

Interesting photos today Lenda.  Thanks for posting.

3 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Today is our 53rd anniversary...no plans except dinner at a local restaurant that we gave up on a few years back - hope it's gone back to being a go-to place.

Congratulations on your 53rd!  I hope you enjoy your meal tonight.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Well, it's been a big whack a mole week.  Not much had been expected from  my surgical consult Thursday and I can't say there were any real surprises.  There is no minimally invasive option for my mitral valve and due to my history of COPD the verdict was that if they trued open heart surgery I would probably leave the hospital in a body bag.  

On the way back I stopped at Arbys for lunch and since it was next to a CVS I picked up a soft cervical collar.  It seems to have helped at times but not always.

I sent a message to my cardiologist yesterday about pain medication and she said it was mot desirable but ok on a limited basis.  She did recommend Naproxen over Ibuprofen.  I will pick some up at the grocery store on the way home from the fire house.

I've been sleeping better but my neck is very stiff today and my right shoulder is very sore.  I can put weight on it but it hurts if I move at all the wrong way.

Roy

Hoping you find some relief from your neck and shoulder discomfort.  I've had that before and it's no fun.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon everyone.

This is my third attempt at posting.  Have you gotten the message that I am not usually a morning person?  At least not lately.   I have been having trouble sleeping lately.  

Today, everytime I tried to post, something distracted me.  The latest being a golf ball hitting one of the windows in the den.  Luckily it did not shatter the window and no damage done.  The players were nice enough to stope (a rarity) and told me where they live (in the community) in case I find any damage.  

i may not be able to post for the next few days.  i am getting rid of my IMac and having all the documents and pictures transferred to my fairly new PC laptop.  He will then erase everything from the IMac. The Computer Guy is picking up my equipment tomorrow morning to do the work.  

Costco has a “trade up” program where they will take the IMac and give me a Costco Cash Card for it.  I bought this IMac thinking the transition would be easy.  It has been nothing but difficult.  So I am going back to Microsoft Windows.

So for the next few days i will only have my IPad to rely on.

Today I have to do some work.  i want to transfer all my old emails that i need to keep on to the PC.  So I better get moving.

Thank you to all that contribute to this thread and keep it going.  

Happy Birthday to Eva @superoma.  Happy anniversary to @57redbird

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll celebrate all 3 days. Funny quote. Pass on the meal, maybe on the drink and pass on the wine. I've been many places in Germany, but not Warnemunde/Berlin, yet. A good day in technology and medicine. And the birth of Bugs Bunny.

It's 80 and sunny, with low humidity. At PT yesterday the therapist did the same maneuver as my PCP had done, but I was still very wobbly leaving. I may need to go to a specific vestibular therapist. And of course I worry that it's something else going on. Then I had my Covid vaccine afterwards, and my arm was really sore last night. I had moved it around after to try to prevent that. It's somewhat better today, but I'm feeling fatigued. So other than getting laundry done, I'll just take it easy.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Bon Voyage!

@superoma Happy Birthday!

@StLouisCruisers Nice photos from Warnemunde and Rostock.

@ottahand7 Sorry your laptop is dead; they usually aren't worth repairing.

@Mtn2Sea Excellent photos from your excursion.

@Sir PMP Thanks for the photos.

@lindaler You are blessed to have your DSs doing this work for you.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos.

@57redbird Happy Anniversary!

@Cruising-along I'm glad that DD and family are home safely.

@Norseh2o Thanks for the Oslo photos.

@Haljo1935 Thanks, I'll put you on my list. I hope your shoulder and knee cooperate, and you have a good cruise.

@rafinmd Sorry there's no minimally invasive procedure for the mitral valve, and that you're not a surgical candidate. I guess they'll have to use medications to try to help any symptoms you have. I hope PT helps your neck and shoulder. 

@kazu Thinking of you and I hope you're accomplishing what you need to without too much pain.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 9

@57redbird a  very Happy 53rd Anniversary to you both!

@ger_77, I know just what you mean about spending time with adult children without sharing them. It is very special. Enjoy!

@rafinmd, I hope PT is helpful. As others have said, changing pillows and correcting posture can help a lot too. I am sorry there are no mitral valve procedures that can be done safely.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, I hope the PT will help your neck problem.  Many, many years ago, when I had a stiff neck from being rear-ended by a car, the doctor told me something counter intuitive.  He said to move my neck, and showed me how to do it safely.  I was surprised how quickly my neck starting feeling better.  I'm sorry there is no way to safely repair or replace the mitral valve, and I hope the cardiologist has something up her sleeves to mitigate the problems.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Sunny and dry today. High will be in the upper 80's. At least it cools down and night and my condo gets comfortable. We have increasing heat forecast for next week.... and no rain.

Noisy right now.... the tree service is working on the dead trees that I have been trying to get taken care of for ages. Various males in several buildings said they would do it .... never got done so I called a friend who runs a tree service. He gave us a good deal... I got the ok from the relieved people in the 3 buildings affected and we are getting all spiffed up ... and more importantly, reducing the fire danger a bit. Dog will miss a couple of those trees.

Not much news from here. @rafinmdHope you can get some relief for the shoulder and neck.

Best wishes to all.

Susan

Susan, I'm glad you are finally able to get the dead trees removed.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

So far today I've done some cleanup/trimming/weeding of the beds and shrubs.  Then I moved the bistro table and chairs into the garage where I washed them, let them dry then applied the product I purchased for my project, Rejuvenate Outdoor Color Restorer.  It's the first time I used this product having used Rust-oleum Recolor before.  That product had its pros and cons.  One was the odor and that you must use gloves.  Another was sometimes the product would have dried up in the package and you never knew if that was the case when you ordered or bought it.  The Rejuvenate product is liquid, doesn't smell terrible and you don't even have to wear gloves to apply.  I hope it lasts a long time.  I haven't done the mailbox yet because mail still hasn't arrived, and the mailbox is the most damaged and in need of restoring.  I did wash the ornamental mailbox post off, and used the restorer on it.  I have a feeling the mailbox will need two coats.  Just twiddling my thumbs waiting for the mail carrier!  We will remove it, take it into the garage to work on and leave it there until Monday before we reinstall it.

Interesting photos today Lenda.  Thanks for posting.

Sandi, thanks for the information on Rejuvenate Outdoor Color Restorer.  I need to work on our shutters which I think are fiberglass.  I have been disappointed with the Rust-oleum Recolor the last few times I've used it.

Thank you for the comments on my pictures.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good afternoon everyone.

This is my third attempt at posting.  Have you gotten the message that I am not usually a morning person?  At least not lately.   I have been having trouble sleeping lately.  

Today, everytime I tried to post, something distracted me.  The latest being a golf ball hitting one of the windows in the den.  Luckily it did not shatter the window and no damage done.  The players were nice enough to stope (a rarity) and told me where they live (in the community) in case I find any damage.  

i may not be able to post for the next few days.  i am getting rid of my IMac and having all the documents and pictures transferred to my fairly new PC laptop.  He will then erase everything from the IMac. The Computer Guy is picking up my equipment tomorrow morning to do the work.  

Costco has a “trade up” program where they will take the IMac and give me a Costco Cash Card for it.  I bought this IMac thinking the transition would be easy.  It has been nothing but difficult.  So I am going back to Microsoft Windows.

So for the next few days i will only have my IPad to rely on.

Today I have to do some work.  i want to transfer all my old emails that i need to keep on to the PC.  So I better get moving.

Thank you to all that contribute to this thread and keep it going.  

Happy Birthday to Eva @superoma.  Happy anniversary to @57redbird

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, good luck with the data transfers to the new computer.  I've always preferred Windows, and I gave up on iPads years ago.  iTunes was such a hassle.

54 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll celebrate all 3 days. Funny quote. Pass on the meal, maybe on the drink and pass on the wine. I've been many places in Germany, but not Warnemunde/Berlin, yet. A good day in technology and medicine. And the birth of Bugs Bunny.

It's 80 and sunny, with low humidity. At PT yesterday the therapist did the same maneuver as my PCP had done, but I was still very wobbly leaving. I may need to go to a specific vestibular therapist. And of course I worry that it's something else going on. Then I had my Covid vaccine afterwards, and my arm was really sore last night. I had moved it around after to try to prevent that. It's somewhat better today, but I'm feeling fatigued. So other than getting laundry done, I'll just take it easy.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Bon Voyage!

@superoma Happy Birthday!

@StLouisCruisers Nice photos from Warnemunde and Rostock.

@ottahand7 Sorry your laptop is dead; they usually aren't worth repairing.

@Mtn2Sea Excellent photos from your excursion.

@Sir PMP Thanks for the photos.

@lindaler You are blessed to have your DSs doing this work for you.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos.

@57redbird Happy Anniversary!

@Cruising-along I'm glad that DD and family are home safely.

@Norseh2o Thanks for the Oslo photos.

@Haljo1935 Thanks, I'll put you on my list. I hope your shoulder and knee cooperate, and you have a good cruise.

@rafinmd Sorry there's no minimally invasive procedure for the mitral valve, and that you're not a surgical candidate. I guess they'll have to use medications to try to help any symptoms you have. I hope PT helps your neck and shoulder. 

@kazu Thinking of you and I hope you're accomplishing what you need to without too much pain.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm sorry the PT did not help with your dizziness.  Take it easy today after your booster yesterday.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good day and thanks all! 
@Horizon chaser Bon Voyage, Laura! 
@superoma happy birthday 

@57redbird happy anniversary 

nice to have all these celebrations.  We are enjoying cooler temps, better air and a few sprinkles. Yay! 

@rafinmdsorry that you are still playing that game, no fun.  I do hope you get some relief for your neck and shoulder soon.  Hopefully your valve issues will be minimal!  
@kazu sending positive thoughts!  And hugs! 
@JazzyV hope you get some relief soon, and don’t have any side effects from your booster! 
@ger_77 how lovely to have that time! 
@RMLincoln loved your description of the Olympics,  I too was enchanted with most of it!,

@NickelpennyWhat a wonderful story, sorry you are always left wondering but it sounds like you had a very fruitful interesting life.  There’s an interesting novel called the Midnight Library kind of on that theme.  

Berlin is an amazing place to visit, thanks for the great photos! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser can you believe the mail carrier still hasn’t shown up?  Dh took the box off the post and brought it inside at 2 pm and it’s now 4. Now one of us has to watch for the carrier to drive up our street since there is a mail order prescription coming today. We will have to walk out and intercept the mail truck to get it. I’ve put a first coat on the mailbox but it needs a second. The cleaning ingredient Cody sprayed all over the mailbox, probably bleach, really did a number on it. Looks like permanent water spots on one side. If you do your shutters take them off the house and take into shade to coat them. Hot surfaces streak. Lucky we have an extra deep garage and there’s lots of room for the table, chairs and mailbox resting on a trash can in front of the cars. We don’t have to park outside during the curing time this weekend. I think 24 hours is enough but we will wait until Monday to replace it. Looks like lots of rain tomorrow, Monday and maybe even Tuesday. 🙄

• Like 15

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I'm sorry to hear your mitral valve diagnosis Roy.

I read this on a NHS site and wondered if this was an option that might be possible for you.

Prayers 🙏 and best wishes from Pauline and me.

Graham.

Screenshot_20240727_211422.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser can you believe the mail carrier still hasn’t shown up?  Dh took the box off the post and brought it inside at 2 pm and it’s now 4. Now one of us has to watch for the carrier to drive up our street since there is a mail order prescription coming today. We will have to walk out and intercept the mail truck to get it. I’ve put a first coat on the mailbox but it needs a second. The cleaning ingredient Cody sprayed all over the mailbox, probably bleach, really did a number on it. Looks like permanent water spots on one side. If you do your shutters take them off the house and take into shade to coat them. Hot surfaces streak. Lucky we have an extra deep garage and there’s lots of room for the table, chairs and mailbox resting on a trash can in front of the cars. We don’t have to park outside during the curing time this weekend. I think 24 hours is enough but we will wait until Monday to replace it. Looks like lots of rain tomorrow, Monday and maybe even Tuesday. 🙄

Unfortunately, Sandi, I can believe that about the mail.  We are supposed to get out mail about 9:30 am at the cluster box, but that is no longer reliable.  It depends on which carrier is doing our route.  Saturdays are even iffier.  However, our local PO does deliver packages on Sunday, and the carrier takes them to the house.

It's not an option for us to take the shutters off.  The siding is vinyl and the shutters are held on with special fasteners which break easily.  I'm afraid that removing the shutters and replacing them will break more of the fasteners.

Lenda

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Unfortunately, Sandi, I can believe that about the mail.  We are supposed to get out mail about 9:30 am at the cluster box, but that is no longer reliable.  It depends on which carrier is doing our route.  Saturdays are even iffier.  However, our local PO does deliver packages on Sunday, and the carrier takes them to the house.

It's not an option for us to take the shutters off.  The siding is vinyl and the shutters are held on with special fasteners which break easily.  I'm afraid that removing the shutters and replacing them will break more of the fasteners.

Lenda

Well, our carrier (substitute) showed up around 4:30 p.m.  She thanked me for coming out to the street to meet her.  Saturdays are iffy here too.  At least you don't have to paint or restore the paint on the cluster box!

If you can't take the shutters down then try to plan on a cooler morning, early before the sun heats them up.  And no rain for 24 hours!  Good luck!

The second coat hasn't helped with the marred finish caused by the cleaning fluid.  But it does look better and there's no reason to replace the mailbox.  Only thing we could do is repaint and it doesn't look bad enough for that.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday afternoon!  Put us in the camp of being amazed at the creativity and shear feat of organizing a 5-mile opening ceremony. No, didn’t love every minute, but wouldn’t have missed it for the world. It is always a treat to remember our wonderful stays in what we consider the best city in the world. 

• Like 13

Eeks - rec'd an alert from weather app. 

Screenshot_20240727_181719_Google.thumb.jpg.b11d40b86b9474e0003a652727dc9159.jpg

This is what I saw when I clicked on the alert. Side note: they could be more timely w/delivery of alerts as this shows 23 hours ago, yet I just received it.

Ok, down from soap box; everyone hydrate, stay safe and check on your neighbors.

Screenshot_20240727_181625_Google.thumb.jpg.7cc84222a042e6b446b7ce8c71924cfb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Still wonderful weather here in the Pacific NW.  Some welcome rain coming on Monday.  We just returned from a trip to the business Costco in Fife, about 40 miles and across a toll bridge from us.  Went there last week as Sara wanted to buy some udon that was on sale.  Udon is a noodle dish from Korea.  Last week we were told that the shipment was delayed and would be in the next day.  Didn't think it would be worth the trip just to save about $15., but we went anyway.  Of course we ended up spending $150 there.  I am glad we went, though.

I noticed on my calendar that today was a good friend's birthday.  I had known him since 1961 when we were stationed together in Taipei.  He left the Navy from there, went to college and became a lawyer for a local ocean shipping company.  He was an interesting person.  His grandfather had been the Russian Ambassador to China for the Czar before the communists took over Russia and I remember him going to meet President Chiang's son, Chiang Chin Kuo as he had a Russian wife and he spoke Russian.  Anyway, I saw him last year and he was suffering from a few things including dementia and wasn't easy to talk to.  So I went online and found that he had died last November.  Kind of surprised that his wife hadn't notified us.

Ray

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

We will have the cats until tomorrow, DD asked for an extension 😂.  Actually they have so much to do upon getting home, and will be returning the RV up this way tomorrow anyway, so I said sure, of course.

So between her naptimes, Smudge has discovered that she loves solving Jigidi puzzles with me. Makes it a little difficult for me, but it's fun watching her chase that mouse and puzzle pieces all over.

SmudgeandJigidi.thumb.jpg.f73d9607d7f4a685b22ae413868e0687.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 20

15 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We will have the cats until tomorrow, DD asked for an extension 😂.  Actually they have so much to do upon getting home, and will be returning the RV up this way tomorrow anyway, so I said sure, of course.

So between her naptimes, Smudge has discovered that she loves solving Jigidi puzzles with me. Makes it a little difficult for me, but it's fun watching her chase that mouse and puzzle pieces all over.

Adorable!

See, the Universe wanted you to have them a bit longer ❤️

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Too cute! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Still wonderful weather here in the Pacific NW.  Some welcome rain coming on Monday.  We just returned from a trip to the business Costco in Fife, about 40 miles and across a toll bridge from us.  Went there last week as Sara wanted to buy some udon that was on sale.  Udon is a noodle dish from Korea.  Last week we were told that the shipment was delayed and would be in the next day.  Didn't think it would be worth the trip just to save about $15., but we went anyway.  Of course we ended up spending $150 there.  I am glad we went, though.

I noticed on my calendar that today was a good friend's birthday.  I had known him since 1961 when we were stationed together in Taipei.  He left the Navy from there, went to college and became a lawyer for a local ocean shipping company.  He was an interesting person.  His grandfather had been the Russian Ambassador to China for the Czar before the communists took over Russia and I remember him going to meet President Chiang's son, Chiang Chin Kuo as he had a Russian wife and he spoke Russian.  Anyway, I saw him last year and he was suffering from a few things including dementia and wasn't easy to talk to.  So I went online and found that he had died last November.  Kind of surprised that his wife hadn't notified us.

Ray

What an amazing history!  I’m so sorry for your loss! 

• Like 8