The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 28th, 2024

Today is National Milk Chocolate Day, National Waterpark Day, and World Hepatitis Day

With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.--Rick Riordan, The Last Olympian

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Salmon and Peaches with Basil-Pistachio Gremolata
Drink of the Day - White Sangria
Wine of the Day - Castellare-Chianti-Classico
Destination of the Day - Andoany (Hell-Ville), Nosy-Be, Madagascar

Today in History:
1958 National Aeronautics and Space Act is passed by the US Congress
2005 The Provisional Irish Republican Army call an end to their thirty year long armed campaign in Northern Ireland

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07-29

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska Juneau, Alaska eta 07-29

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Akureyri, Iceland 0800-1700

Noordam

Whittier, Alaska 0100-1930

Oosterdam

Civitavecchia-Rome, Italy 06:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Nordfjordeid, Norway eta 07-29

Volendam

At Sea Destination Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada eta 07-29

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Zaandam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

Nanortalik, Greenland 08:00 - 18:00

0728World.thumb.jpg.e313c0607dc8c73e53e4975a5e911707.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 24

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

78 this AM heading up to 93 with afternoon showers.

Good selection of days especially Milk Chocolate Day, Graham will be happy. Back in my tennis days my doubles partner was a salesman for Mars Chocolate Company and he would drop off boxes of Snickers, Milky Ways, 3 Musketeers, and Twixes, I was so sad when he was transferred to Boston.

I don’t get the quote.

We eat broiled salmon quite a bit but never with peaches and the other stuff.

We don’t care for Sangria but like the vino.

Prayers for Israel as they lost 12 children yesterday in a missile attack by Hezbollah.

A week to go for our MSC Seashore cruise.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 6

White Sangria cocktail:

Ingredients:

750 ml 1 bottle white wine
1/2 cup triple sec
1 whole orange, thinly sliced
1 whole lemon, thinly sliced
1 whole lime, thinly sliced
10 strawberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 litre sprite or ginger ale

Directions:

In a large pitcher mix together white wine, triple sec, orange slices, lemon slices, lime slices, and strawberries. Set in fridge for at least 4 hours.
Pour in sprite or ginger ale, stirring to combine.
Pour over ice to serve.

Screenshot 2024-07-28 at 6.30.03 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 19

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  Another 71 degree early morning temp, with a high of 83 expected.  Cloudy skies and afternoon thunderstorms predicted.  

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  I'm happy to see Zuiderdam seems to be anchored off Nanortalik, Greenland.  I hope Charlene @cunnorl, @St Pete Cruiser and the other VOV passengers are having a good time!  Nice days to recognize, quote and food and beverages.  Very important this day in history items.  Thanks to the ladies for their reports, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard.

Taking time to say prayers for the young people lost on the soccer field in Israel and their grieving families, the rest of Israelis and Ukrainians, the hostages still held, and our men and women in uniform over there.  Also for my DB and twin sister.  Many prayers for our group here including our ailing family members.  Hoping to hear of improvement for all, and that Tana and Terry @smitty34877 and Annie @marshhawk and Jacqui @kazu are getting some sleep.  Meanwhile I do hope everyone celebrating special events and cruising are enjoying their days.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV!

The port of the day is Andoany (Hell-Ville), Nosy-Be, Madagascar.  We've had that location twice before on Mar. 7, 2022 and Feb. 7, 2023.  I have not been before.  Here are the links for your convenience.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful Sunday.  Please try to stay safe and keep well!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Today’s Care List:

Kazu recovering from stents placed for leg/foot pain

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

StLouisCruisers’ twin needing a shoulder replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s identical twins born 7/23!

Rafinmd’s improved PSA level

RMLincoln’s DH post glaucoma surgery, good eye pressures this week

Dfish’s successful nerve ablation

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 17
  • Thanks 22

Good afternoon.

It is 72°F here.

Father David has been on a walking holiday in the Netherlands but got back for today's service but to late to post today's sermon.

Tomorrow is Pauline's lovely late dad Roy's 16th memory in heaven and David read his memory out during prayers today.

3 good days and nice food.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a fabulous day.

IMG_20240728_094550.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good cool and sunny morning. It’s supposed to get up to about 90 today. 
Birthday wishes today for our former pastor Ron who is turning 82 today. Tomorrow is Shirl’s birthday, she is 86 and seems to be doing better and accepting reality that she’s going to be there for good.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich & thanks o our F & B team.

Interesting collection of days - I’ll go with Hepatitis as it’s such dangerous disease for those who suffer from it.  I resemble that quote - except I’m not a good Napier sadly, so it’s been an early night quite often as I try to catch up on sleep and help healing.

White Sangria?  YUM.  It was always a summer party staple here and my Mexican cook book had a recipe which was a hit year after year 🙂 

Was in a lot of pain during my grocery outing and my right leg went numb/asleep.  Scary.  Came home with shaky legs and rested feeling sorry for myself.  Yesterday still in bad pain I remembered it’s been too long since I could walk pain free which meant the  muscles need to be brought back.  So I bit the bullet and did the full round of the physio with fewer repetitions and will build up to the full  number.  It’s going to take time and I just have to be prepared to work at it.

It helped a lot and I was able to get to the basement to mark items not to go into the dumpster.  Sore today but that’s what exercise does and more should improve it 🤞 

Although I am allowed to drive,  I am limiting it (I don’t go out much anyways)  and only doing short trips until I see noted improvement.  I can’t help but wonder if the pressure on the right leg driving had something to do with the issue.  TMI - sorry.

sorry I missed your 53rd anniversary yesterday day @57redbird I hope it was a wonderful one.

Apologies Laura, @Horizon chaser a belated Bon Voyage to you.

Really sorry I missed this by one day Eva @superoma a belated happy birthday to you.  I hope it was a wonderful one !

More stairs await so I better bite the bullet and do my physio and get to work.

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health issues, worries and those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.   I like milk chocolate and it is great it has its' day.  Hepatitis is a serious disease and is one of the leading causes of liver cancer.   Water parks should be really popular with the current US heat wave. As one who loves a good nap I love today's quote.  I look forward to photos of Madagascar.   I'll pass on Salmon and Sangria but would try the Chianti, thanks for researching these for us each day.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Tana, Terry, Chuck, Annie and Jacqui.  Prayers for those in war zones through no fault of their own.  

We had our first hot night of the season with it not getting below 66 degrees.  We cooked the cabin off to 70 overnight after it being 69 degrees all day yesterday until the evening.  We were lucky we had a lot of early clouds yesterday which kept it to only 85 but the humidity was in the 70s all day.  We fished yesterday and caught a lot of walleye and several bass.  I caught one so big it broke my line right by the boat and escaped.  John was reeling in a walleye at the same time so he couldn't man the net.  I think watching the Olympics will be the order of the day on this hot Sunday.  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from Nanortalik, Greenland. Yes,the good ship Zuiderdam is tendering into Nanortalik this morning after doing the adjacent fjord yesterday. I'll try to post more after returning to the ship.

20240728_101610.jpg

20240727_145121.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone!

It is a chilly start to the day here in mid-Michigan, but the forecast has us with sunny skies and a high of 87F.  I may break down and turn on the AC.  We're planning to go out to Chippewa Nature Center to hike this morning.  There is a 3 mile loop we have done before and I want to test out how well I do on it.  Working up to doing my Jordan Pond hike in Acadia in 4 weeks.  

Today's meal sounds fancy!  I think I'd like it as it is reasonable in carbs, leaving room for a veggie along side it.  Grilled Salmon with Peaches

grilledsalmonwithpeaches1.jpg.064cf9b92622987f21a2ff0d82a8334a.jpg

I think that was a unique recipe and didn't find any others with exactly that title.  But, here's one for seared salmon.  It doesn't include the peaches, but does have the pistachios.   Seared Salmon with Pistachio Gremolata

grilledsalmonwithpeaches2.jpg.1ef23c4ea2ce471796a5c6cca398b094.jpg

This one grills the salmon but leaves out the pistachios.  It would be easy to add them in.  

Grilled Salmon with Peach, Basil, and Tomato Topping

grilledsalmonwithpeaches3.thumb.jpg.6084357693864e3a012136e0dc0b02aa.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 13

Good morning dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report. 

Checking in to see how everyone has been. 

My work is keeping me busy during the week.  

We finally had some much needed rain this week.  🙌 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! 

20231220_120736.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

I’ve seen that White Sangria recipe posted. it appears a lot so here’s  mine and my thoughts.  

As someone who makes it a lot and goes authentic, IMO the mix of triple sec with gingerale/sprite makes it just too sickenly sweet.  As DD DH told me many years ago, White Sangria is meant to be a refreshing drink on a hot day.

So here’s mine:

I cup dry white wine

1/4 cup of Triple Sec / Cointreau

1/2 cup of sugar

1 orange sliced

1 lemon sliced

1 lime sliced

1 and 1/2 cups of club soda.

sprig of mint

Tip for a summer party.  You can make several batches of it in different containers without the club soda.  Stir and only add the club soda when ready to deserve.  For ice I use large blocks of frozen club soda whicn has worked well.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 14

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D    I like all 3 of today’s days(assuming hepatitis day is for awareness)..    Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

I like the quote.

I have not been to Madagascar

Great days in US and Irish history..

The meal sounds interesting..  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup and Roasted Duck with Sour Cherry Chutney, as served on MS Prinsendam July 28 2011..

Sadly, a man was murdered about 6PM in the food court of the mall where I walk.  Not sure if I’ll try to stop there on my way to church or not.  Neck is still very stiff but the Naproxen seems to have taken care of the shoulder pain..

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Love the maps.

Another cool, clear morning here, only 11C (52F) but it's supposed to warm up to 30C (86F) this afternoon.  We're going to visit mum today.

Three good days to observe.

Amusing quote.

I'd like to try the meal, drink (both versions, thanks @kazu for the second recipe) and the wine.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Hello -- Salutations from central Texas...  

Thank you all for the Daily and the maps and the reports!!!

I have some Tiramisu Chocolate milk to enjoy today!!  I think the Waterparks will survive without my attendance -- but I love the water and would be happy to splash around!!  And...  knowing and learning about Hepatitis is so very important!!

Thank you for the quote...  I must be a VERY powerful person...  I enjoy a nap!!!

I love peaches and I love salmon...  But I don't think I've ever had them together...  I could try...

The Sangria and the chianti sound tasty!!

And, maybe someday, I see Madagascar in person???

44 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It is 72°F here.

Father David has been on a walking holiday in the Netherlands but got back for today's service but to late to post today's sermon.

Tomorrow is Pauline's lovely late dad Roy's 16th memory in heaven and David read his memory out during prayers today.

3 good days and nice food.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a fabulous day.

IMG_20240728_094550.jpg

I'll be thinking of you and Pauline on her DFs 16th anniversary of passing day...  Families are forever and we do hug our memories!!!  I pray you'll have many happy ones to reminiscence and think on!!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A bit of a cloudy start this morning. It could just be a marine layer with a bit of Sahara dust thrown in.  Last night’s gathering was fun. Great company, good food & drink. I am really going to miss my neighbor/friend. 

Vanessa, thank you for caring enough to capture every detail! You are amazing. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, lots of post-party chores & maybe some pool time. Possibly a nap. 

IMG_3195.jpeg.2544e786259f2e0f422112f80c5fd474.jpeg

IMG_3192.jpeg.9e3624f9256281bf0ec135accce1ae72.jpeg

IMG_2420.jpeg.9ab0e662e185a5ead1017b48bddcfd82.jpeg

Prayers for all who need them. Tana, praying that today is a good day. Hope your appetite is picking up. 
Chuck, praying that you are not in too much pain and that you are still enjoying your food.

Prayers for all the caregivers. May they remember to take care of themselves. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Castellare-Chianti-Classico

A lovely sounding Chianti with a host of consumers rating it very good - excellent. Easy to find and reasonably priced. Online prices start at $16.99.

Winemaker notes 

A careful selection of the best grapes of the estate: only native varieties, without Cabernet or Merlot. A wine which best interprets the territory of Chianti Classico to obtain the best from every vintage. Aging lasts for about 15 months in used barriques, followed by another 15 months in the bottle. 

Typical ruby red colour, which has a tendency to become garnet red as the wine ages. The nose has an intense aroma of violets and an elegance that is enhanced over time. On the palate the wine displays relatively dry and harmonious notes, while also being slightly tannic, with a flavour that becomes increasingly velvety over time.

Ideal with red and white meat, as well as pairing well with poultry, hare and various cheeses.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 5

Good morning. Thanks for the report and post. My two sister-in-laws boarded the Volendam yesterday so some of our family are enjoying cruising.

Getting ready for church so will keep this short. Have a great day. Later.B.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and prayers for all in need.  So many troubles for our dailyites.  Prayers that all see improvement soon.

I can’t remember what I have posted so forgive me if I repeat.  DH Bill had a fall when I was on the trip with my sister.  Leg still has bruises. I think the fall was related to not taking meds appropriately and he was not steady on his feet with very high sugar levels.  DD dealt with that, a dishwasher that went on the blink as well as an icemaker. We also are having issues the garbage disposal!  So DD had quite a time while I was gone.  But she is very efficient for which I am grateful.  

Our close friend has now gone from the hospital to rehab and back to the hospital again.  Looks like a uti as well as breathing issues.  Prayers please.  

Thanks to all who support this thread.  Best wishes for a great Sunday.  Katherine 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Cool this morning but will hit the 90s today. Going back into the heat. 

Maybe doing some yard work. Having a Zoom visit with family. 73 days to go for the cruise. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

23 best images about Cats-On Sundays... on Pinterest | Best Mondays ...

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good morning from Nanortalik, Greenland. Yes,the good ship Zuiderdam is tendering into Nanortalik this morning after doing the adjacent fjord yesterday. I'll try to post more after returning to the ship.

20240728_101610.jpg

20240727_145121.jpg

Tasermiut Fjord leads from Nanortalik 43 miles into Greenland. Captain Frank and his officers think it was the first Holland America Line venture up it, but I suspect the Prinsendam may have. @Copper John,  can you confirm this?

20240727_112416.jpg

20240727_132512.jpg

20240727_132519.jpg

20240727_142935.jpg

20240727_143050.jpg

20240727_143149.jpg

20240727_143206.jpg

20240727_145121.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13