The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 6th, 2024

Today is National Fresh Breath (Halitosis) Day, National Root Beer Float Day, and Lighthouse Day

The purpose of our lives is to be happy. - Dalai Lama

Meal Suggestion for today - Baked Fish-in-Foil with Vegetables
Drink of the Day - 7 and 7
Wine of the Day - Prager 2021 Ried Zwerithaler Kammergut Smaragd Grüner Veltliner (Wachau)
Destination of the Day - Farsund, Norway

Today in History:
1926 First Woman to Swim Across the English Channel
1945 US Bombs Hiroshima
1965 Voting Rights Act Becomes Law in the United States
258 Pope St Sixtus II beheaded in Rome under persecutions by Roman Emperor Valerian

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Nieuw Statendam

Lerwick, Shetland Isles 1100-1900

Noordam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0630-1500

Oosterdam

Nafplio, Mycenae, Greece 13:00 - 20:00

Rotterdam

Invergordon, Scotland 0800-1700

Volendam

Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 1230-2100

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 08-07

Zuiderdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 17:00

0806Alaska.thumb.png.e8ce1dc4072e4656a5f9c859d4be8fc3.png

0806Atlantic.thumb.png.ee360e7f4b43d8a9f16397bb13d2171a.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 29
  • Haha 1

Good morning friends!  Today it is 73F and we should see a high temp of 88 with cloudy skies today.  Always a chance of some rain with a tropical storm/hurricane nearby.  Yesterday it suddenly began to rain hard, then slowed and stopped all within 5 minutes.  That was all!  Today we have some errands to run as well as eye appointments.  If the primary physician doctor’s office isn’t too slow I will go in and request my second shingles shot since it is across the street from the eye doctor.  We have to renew our license plates, and DH needs to get to the DMV right away to renew his driver’s license.  It expires on his birthday next week.  Hopefully we get everything done quickly with no long delays or waits.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report, Daily and the ship location maps.  I’ll make sure I have fresh breath today.  I wish I could have a root beer float like we used to when I was a kid.  I like lighthouses, take many pictures of them, and agree they are necessary for ship safety.  A nice quote by the Dalai Lama.  The menu suggestion sounds healthy.  I wish I liked fish more!  For the drink and wine I will pass.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the F&B reports.

Prayers for our citizens in danger from tropical storm/hurricane Debby.  Please evacuate if you can!  I also said prayers for our Daily Care list including Tana, Chuck and Annie, Ann’s DH Pat, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Debbie, Terri and Jim.  Sad to have to pray for the poor soldiers struck by a rocket at the base in Iraq, but I will and for all the others in danger over there.  Prayers for the people in Israel and Ukraine fighting for their lives and countries, and the hostages still remaining.  And finally prayers for my DB and twin sister.  Thank you very much Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping the lists for our group each day.

The port of the day is Farsund, Norway, a totally new port for us here on the Daily.  I can’t recall ever going there so no photos or links today.  I hope someone here has some photos and experience there to share with us.

I hope all of us stay safe and keep well today.  Especially those in the path of Debby!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 8

The 7 & 7 rose to its height of popularity in the 1970s, when Seagram’s 7 sold tens of millions of cases each year and the distinctive bottle adorned every back bar and at-home bar cart. It’s not as popular today as it once was, but it’s easy to feel an affectionate sense of nostalgia for this classic drink.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. Seagram’s 7 Crown whiskey
4 oz. 7 UP

Directions:

Fill a highball glass with ice.
Add the whiskey and 7 UP and stir gently.

Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 6.28.26 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 21

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 68°F here at 11.28am.

Twice daily teeth brushing and flossing is essential for oral hygiene.

Drinking water after eating washes away any bacteria.

We call Root beer Sarsaparilla in the UK.

As a child I would put ice cream in a cup and pour Sarsaparilla onto it then scoop the froth with a spoon.

Today's quote is perfect.

We cook Salmon in foil which keeps the flavour and moisture in the Salmon.

I hope everyone feels healthy this morning and y'all have a happy day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Vict0riann’s DH Pat seeing Urologist today

Haljo1935 with knee pain and trouble walking

Mamaofami with exhaustion after recent Covid infection

Cruzin Terri and all others in the path of Debby and flooding

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Ottahand7’s DB Nick post re-do knee replacement

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck battling cancer, weight loss

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Birth of Heartgrove’s (Jack’s) new granddaughter 8/5!

Dfish post nerve ablation; able to walk longer, still some pain

RMLincoln’s DH post glaucoma surgery, stable eye pressures at appt

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Luvteaching (Discovery Princess Aug 10 to Aug 17) 7d Alaska Inside passage w/Glacier Bay National Park

6 days for Haljo1935 (MSC Magnifica Aug 12 to Aug 16) 4d Bahamas

MISTER 67 (MSC Seashore to Aug 11) 7d W. Caribbean, ski ww (Rotterdam to Aug 17) 14 Night Britain, Scotland & Ireland, Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 17
  • Thanks 28

Thank you and Good Morning from central Texas!!

I'd much rather have FRESH breath than the alternative!!!  And now I think I may have to buy root beer and celebrate by having a Float on this HOLIDAY!!!  And...  Lighthouses...  I love to see lighthouses!!!

Great days all three!!!!

The Dalai and I will agree to disagree -- but yes, being happy is a good thing to be!!!  And I mostly am that!!

I'll take the meal!!

And the drink is very simple to learn and easy and refreshing!!

I won't even try to pronounce the wine...  

And I'll enjoy Norway photos!!

I can't imagine swimming the English Channel...  Brrr...

To each of you I pray and wish you a smile and laughter, and a wonderful day!!!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  

Love the maps.

Overcast with rain in the forecast for today.  Bertie and I had a nice walk, only a few drops of rain so far.

Interesting days.  We all need fresh breath, I'll pass on root beer,  I like lighthouses.

Wonderful quote.

The meal sounds great.  I'll pass on the drink, I hope the wine is not too sweet.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for so many.  I hope everyone is safe from the storm.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Thanks to everyone who makes this place a good place to be.

Have a great day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good sunny and humid morning. Possibly very severe thunderstorm are expected later today and tomorrow .

Today is also National Night Out. It is always celebrated the first Tuesday in August. It is a celebration to bring police and first responders together with the community building relationships. I’m hoping the expected storms hold off. There is usually free food and games for the kids. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. We arrived home on time ordered a pizza and retired early. Flights had some turbulence as weather was not nice around Minneapolis.

We received no rain just a little breezy at times here in our area of Florida.

Got to do some wash and maybe a grocery run but it’s going to be a fairly quiet week.

Thanks for the reports and postings. Coffee is calling. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.36ccebe134f5a8f837c6496562f232b3.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 18

Good morning, everyone!

It is a rainy day here in mid-Michigan.  The rain is supposed to stop early afternoon.  It is one of those drenching, soaking rains.  Sue's new plantings will appreciate it.  I have yoga this morning and then will go to Bay City to pick up some t-shirts that I'll be taking to a town hall in September.  Other than that, the day is free!  I keep forgetting to mention that the pain in the left leg has subsided again.  Hopefully for good.  I am a little stiff getting up in the morning, but arthritis will do that.  But my back does not wake me up in pain.

I hope @Cruzin Terri Terri and Jim made it through the night safely.  Hopefully Terri will check in and let us know.

@marshhawk Annie, I hope today goes well for you and Chuck.  

@smitty34877 I hope your day is a good one and that the aide doesn't bail on you.  Did she say why she finds this job difficult?  I can't believe that it is because of the people involved.  Maybe because there is more transferring?   

@kazu Forward progress.  Cleaning out a house for staging and downsizing is a difficult job.  I can't believe how much I got rid of when I moved and I still brought too much stuff with me.  

Today's meal is incredibly easy and so good as well as being good for you.  You can really use whatever veggies you like and can even substitute chicken for the fish.  Mom used to make a foil package dinner that was called Hobo Chicken and it had potato slices, onion slices, green beans, and chicken in it.  We each got our own foil package.  Made cleanup easy as well.  If you are doing fish, the recipe shows lemon slices on the fish.  Experiment a little.  I've used orange slices, lime slices and grapefruit slices.  All are good and it is nice to have some variety!

Foil Baked Fish

BakedFishinFoil1.thumb.jpg.3d98d188910fd993fa1db05ba1627bda.jpg

This one has sweet potato in the foil packet.  @kochleffel Paul could put butternut squash in his.  You can also put these foil packages on the grill.  Baked Fish in Foil

BakedFishinFoil2.thumb.png.10753d6d87909cdd3ce1c580eb9ed8e9.png

Here's one last version with some good tips on picking an appropriate fish.  This recipe uses a white fish, but I wouldn't hesitate to use salmon as well.  Foil Packet Fish

BakedFishinFoil3.thumb.jpg.8bfeb46822d6d96b3a1dcf8659fecb99.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 22

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

High of 91 today. We are under flood watches as expecting rain all the way through to Saturday as tropical storm Deby comes this way. Won't mind as I won't have to water the garden. Meetings and grading today. I start a new class last minute which is fine. Busy, busy, busy. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Monday on Tuesday | Cats, Funny cat pictures, Funny cats

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! The winds are still swirling around & gusting, but we were really lucky. My rain gauge shows I barely received 2 inches at my place. My strong Easterly winds helped out again by bringing huge bands of drier air & mixing it with Debby’s clouds. Still some tornado watches/warnings floating around in Florida, but… the sun just broke through the remaining clouds. 

I pray that @Cruzin Terri you & Jim literally weathered the storm, Terri. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying the ENT can help you. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, maybe some pool time. I see a few small branches down, so need to do a bit of yard cleanup. 

IMG_3253.jpeg.c75cfac7f3d73a48e0001c28020bfa85.jpeg

IMG_3249.jpeg.7a4c0dd74b0f9563d83739df6292b1c3.jpeg

IMG_3240.jpeg.22474ad7609d5ec0c477d2a3f70c9c16.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying that you have a good day. And that Terry has a boring (relatively speaking) one!

Chuck & Annie, I pray you both have good & boring days! 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @lobsternight Happy belated Birthday to you!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Prager 2021 Ried Zwerithaler Kammergut Smaragd Grüner Veltliner (Wachau)

Grüner Veltliner is the one white wine I have never been a fan of. But then again, I have never had one that cost more than $30. This Austrian wine has a huge number of consumer fans and has superb ratings from critics. So perhaps this one is lovely. But I will never know, since online prices start at $134.98.

Distributor notes

Franz Prager, co-founder of the Vinea Wachau, had already earned a reputation for his wines when Toni Bodenstein married into the family. Bodenstein’s passion for biodiversity and old terraces, coupled with brilliant winemaking, places Prager in the highest echelon of Austrian producers.

Smaragd is a designation of ripeness for dry wines used exclusively by members of the Vinea Wachau. The wines must have minimum alcohol of 12.5%. The grapes are hand-harvested, typically in October and November, and are sent directly to press where they spontaneously ferment in stainless-steel tanks.

Zwerithaler is a sub-site of Buschenberg and sits to the east of Weißenkirchen. The name Zwerithaler, meaning "nestled between the valleys," is a near monopole of Weingut Prager. It has a complex soil of paragneiss with alternating layers of dark and calcareous rock.  Zwerithaler Kammergut is a 0.34-hectare parcel planted before WWI. The wine from these ungrafted, 100-year-old vines was bottled separately by Prager for the first time in 2015.

Light greenish yellow, silver reflections. Fine savory, delicate nuances of anise, tobacco notes, delicate yellow fruit, a touch of mango and honey blossom. Full-bodied, juicy white apple fruit, well-integrated, silky acidity structure, finesse and long persistence, saline finish, lingers for minutes, Veltliner at its best.

-Falstaff 99 Points

"The aromas of this old-vine gruner veltliner leap out and shake you to the core. Full-bodied and full of weighty and balanced layers of papayas, mangoes, nectarines, chives, white tea and oranges. Fantastic concentration, giving so much pleasure already, but it will keep blossoming if you give it time. From vines planted in 1907. Sustainable. Drink or hold." 

-James Suckling 98 Points

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 4

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.  Fresh breath is a good thing, brushing, flossing and mouthwash really work and if the problem persists an ENT visit is in order.   Root beer floats are yummy and light houses are important.  I look forward to photos of today's port.   A good quote.   I'll pass on fish in foil, I like Seven and 7's and I'll pass on the Austrian Gruner, not my favorite grape.  Thanks for posting these for us each days ladies.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.  Prayers for Chuck and Annie as you face fresh battles each day.  Prayers for Terri and Jim as your bear with all the rain from Debby.  Prayers for Tana and Terry, I hope your aide sticks with you until you can find another and just not quit.  Prayers for Jacqui as she is preparing for her move, beautiful photos of her staged home and a smooth sale process.   Prayers for all others who are ailing of grieving.  Prayers for Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

We are having two couples who are lake neighbors over for dinner.  Rib roast cooked on the grill, baked beans, Caesar salad and strawberry shortcake.  It will be a cool, comfortable day.  Have a lovely Tuesday.   Nancy 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

A little cooler today in north NJ. And then much cooler, stormy and rainy the rest of the week. I’m glad we can stay in and safe. 
I don’t recall this port in Norway. 

Yesterday went well at the GI doctor’s. He recommended Pepcid, experimenting with cutting out some vitamins, and I’m scheduled for an upper GI scoping end of October. I developed heartburn and reflux about two years ago. It’s a little better lately, not quite every day but a nuisance. It’s not life threatening but it’d sure be nicer if I could learn how to decrease it. Never had this before then. Stuff happens!  

Blessings for all dealing with storm Debby especially @Cruzin Terri and Jim- so good to see your updates!
And for all in need, near and far. Hoping to hear some encouraging reports!  
Have a blessed day! Maureen 

• Like 30

Good Tuesday morning.  

Just a quick post.  Busy morning and I am feeling quite sick about the whole thing.  I don’t regret my decision but  leaving the home and gardens I love, the enormity of the task  and being alone has really hit home. Pain doesn’t help.

@cat shepard definitely if you get a chance - try that white wine.  It is absolutely delicious.  A splurge, but worth it.

Prayers for all those in Debby’s path, those on the Care list and all who need them.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 15

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good Tuesday morning.  

Just a quick post.  Busy morning and I am feeling quite sick about the whole thing.  I don’t regret my decision but  leaving the home and gardens I love, the enormity of the task  and being alone has really hit home. Pain doesn’t help.

@cat shepard definitely if you get a chance - try that white wine.  It is absolutely delicious.  A splurge, but worth it.

Prayers for all those in Debby’s path, those on the Care list and all who need them.

Jacqui, this is the perfect place to come & share your feelings. I know we can’t physically help you, but we are rooting for you. I pray everything goes smoothly, so you don’t have anything else to handle. 

❤️

PS Thanks for the tip on the wine. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

The 7 & 7 rose to its height of popularity in the 1970s, when Seagram’s 7 sold tens of millions of cases each year and the distinctive bottle adorned every back bar and at-home bar cart. It’s not as popular today as it once was, but it’s easy to feel an affectionate sense of nostalgia for this classic drink.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. Seagram’s 7 Crown whiskey
4 oz. 7 UP

Directions:

Fill a highball glass with ice.
Add the whiskey and 7 UP and stir gently.

Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 6.28.26 AM.png

Why don’t you just call it 14! 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 15

Posted (edited)

I’m back!

Been going through a transitional phrase the past month. Now you can call me RedneckBobbie, formally known as RedneckBob! 😳

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 15
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)

Happy Tuesday!  I will celebrate lighthouses.  We still have many in MD.  The Concord Point Lighthouse in Havre de Grace is on the national registry of historic sites and is the oldest lighthouse in Maryland still open for public viewing. This is a beautiful small town on the Susquehanna River.IMG_0779.jpeg.c8b82502ad26883abcb83ca112e7e09f.jpeg

Farsund was originally scheduled for my upcoming Best of Norway cruise but the itinerary has changed several times.  I look forward to any pictures.

Positive thoughts to all who are struggling.  Cheers to those with something to celebrate.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

I’m back!

Been going through a transitional phrase the past month. Now you can call me RedneckBobbie, formally known as RedneckBob! 😳

Welcome back. Yes, we were concerned. 

• Like 18

7 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

I’m back!

Welcome back.

• Like 17

Good morning. The humidity was 87% earlier but the weather person promised the thunderstorms this afternoon will take a lot of it away. We shall see.

i like lighthouses and we all should like fresh breath. My root beer float can go to someone else. The recipe looks very good but Tuesdays are not the best days at the fish market. I have not been to that port in Norway.

@dfish, Debbie, I think our aide is having a hard time adjusting to the decline Tana is going through. She also has a son near the teenager in age and picks upon his anxiety about his Mom. The physical work has increased also but Tana only weighs about 120 pounds now. I also think that the general household angst weighs heavily on her as she is very caring . She wants to take care of everyone ! Today she seems more settled so I have my fingers and toes crossed.

@RedneckBob, Bob or Bobbie, glad to see you again. I hope all is well.

@kazu, Jacqui,  I can  only imagine how you feel and to be in physical pain as well is very depressing. I am amazed at all you have managed to do to prepare.

I only recently was able to go through some of Lou’s saved treasures and papers and it is very difficult. 
@Cruzin Terri, oh my. I hope you are safe and have power. Sending prayers.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4