The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 17th, 2024

richwmn

Posted (edited)

Today is Black Cat Appreciation Day, I Love My Feet Day, and Meaning of "Is" Day

Chance is perhaps the pseudonym of God when he does not want to sign.--Théophile Gautier

Meal Suggestion for today - Loaded Broccoli Salad
Drink of the Day - Midsummer Night's Dream
Wine of the Day - 2020 Grauburgunder, Jülg, Pfalz
Destination of the Day - Ringaskiddy (Cork), Ireland

Today in History:
1903 Joe Pulitzer donates $1 million to Columbia University & begins the Pulitzer Prizes in America
2008 Michael Phelps Earns his 8th Gold Medal in the 2008 Olympics

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Seattle, Washington 0700-1500

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 08-18

Nieuw Statendam --- 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer

At Sea Destination Thorshavn, Faroe Islands eta 08-18

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 08-18

Oosterdam --- 21 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens

Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 0700-1800

Rotterdam --- 14 days, round-trip Britain, Scotland Ireland

At Sea Destination Rotterdam (Amsterdam), Holland eta 08-24

Volendam --- 24 days, round-trip Canada, New England Iceland

At Sea Destination Halifax, Nova Scotia eta 08-18

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Skagway, Alaska 0630-2100

Zuiderdam --- 35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings

Qaqortoq, Greenland 0800-1700

0817World.thumb.png.35814f0e796e67f4b568b158e6fe3208.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 29

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

A cooler 73 this AM with a high of 92 with a slight chance of showers, same tomorrow as I think Ernesto is sucking some moisture and humidity away from Florida, we were dry yesterday also.

Meh on the days, not wild about black felines, sorry all you cat lovers but I’m sort of superstitious.

I don’t get the quote.

Pass on the meal.

Off to the diner in a few minutes for a Western Omelette.

Have a great day, stay safe and well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Midsummer Night's Dream cocktail:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. passion fruit juice
3/4 oz. Elderflower liqueur
2 leaves sage leaf

Directions:
Muddle sage leaves in shaker.
Add all ingredients in the shaker and fill it with ice. Shake well.
Pour into a chilled glass and enjoy

Screenshot 2024-08-17 at 6.25.02 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 22

Good morning friends!  The temp this morning is 85 and is expected to be a whopping 102F with sunny skies.  There is a Farmer’s Market a short walk away this morning and perhaps we will go over for a look.  Then when Ren wakes up he and DH may go to the downstairs gym for a bit.  Ren is still working on keeping his legs strong.  Last night we sat and chatted for a long time.  We told him all the fun stories of the good old days and he seemed to enjoy it a lot. 

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Fleet Report and Daily as well as today’s ship location maps.  Black cats are popular here.  Feet appreciation?  They’re pretty important so I guess the better we treat them the better they treat us.  Let’s just pass right on by The Meaning of “Is” Day!  I’m sure the broccoli salad and Midsummer Night’s Dream will be very good, but I can’t decipher the wine to determine that.  A good day in Pulitzer Prize and Michael Phelps histories. Michael Phelps was from Baltimore but he trained at the University of Michigan for four years and attended classes but did not pursue a degree.  I hope his life has worked out well for him.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your great reporting.

Prayers for our group here in great need of them.  Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Melisa and DH, Ann and Pat, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Jacqui, Debbie, Elizabeth, Roy, Terri and Jim.  More prayers for DB, twin sister who is doing okay, DD who is on her feet too much causing pain in that one foot, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the poor hostages still held, and our troops over there in harm’s way.  Congrats to all celebrating special occasions and cruising!  Enjoy your celebrations.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV once again for helping everyone out here by handling the Care and Celebration lists.  Hope you are still feeling less dizzy.

The port today is Ringaskiddy (Cork), Ireland.  This is a first time showing for Ringaskiddy which sounds like a very cool place to visit.  Of course we’ve seen Cobh (Cork) four times already so I think I will try to encourage any visitors to Ringaskiddy to post photo and experiences there for us today.  No links will be posted for Cobh.  Show us what you’ve got!  I would love this port on an itinerary I had booked.

DS and DDIL had a layover of several hours in Seoul and hopefully left there for Singapore to continue on.  They will arrive in Singapore at 11:40 pm local time.  He was shocked there was no Wi-Fi on the first flight!

Have a superb Saturday everybody.  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich and thanks to our F & B team.

Nice collection of days.  I love black cats and will gladly celebrate them.  Might be some truth to that quote,  Meal sounds great!

Another busy day in show land With an early appointment.  Yesterday’s early one was with an inspector and I suspect this one is too.  I’ll laugh if it’s the same one.  his only question was “what do you use on your floors - they’re gorgeous”.

one realtor was here.3 times yesterday with clients.  new words to describe the house are “amazing” and the garden “stunning”.  LOL - I wish.  For whatever reason, this knee protector didn’t get pitched in the garage.  DD DH liked it when he had to get on his knees.  Ivan loves to use it too.  he’s listening to the people in “HIS” house.

IMG_3127.thumb.jpeg.a3b776ae72aeab9b8af9f826f13862de.jpeg

So, I’m going to keep it in his memory and for Ivan on the patio.

@StLouisCruisers glad to hear the surgery went well.  @lazey1 I hope things look up more and continue to improve.

Prayers for those on the Care list & those who need them.  🙏 Cheer’s to those celebrating & cruising 🥂 

• Like 40
  • Thanks 4

Today’s Care List:

StLouisCruisers’ twin home after shoulder replacement yesterday

Lindaler’s DS with an emergency situation

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Ottahand7’s DB Nick post re-do knee replacement

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage 0106 (Tina)!

Welcome back ski ww!

Welcome back Luvteaching!

Kazu’s house is on the market, with lots of interest

Lazey1’s DS Tony feeling better

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for TiogaCruiser (Volendam Aug 20 to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery

5 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Aug 22 to Aug 31) 9d Cabada/New England

7 days for Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

7 days for Dfish (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

7 days for Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

7 days for RMLincoln (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings,  RMLincoln (Emerald Princess to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada, Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary and 0106 (Rotterdam Aug 17 to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway

• Like 17
  • Thanks 23

Good morning.  Happy Saturday!

We've got a rainy weekend in store, could get up to 80mm (3inches).  That's too much!  I hope the weather predictors are incorrect.

Interesting days, black cats are okay and I love my feet. 

I love the quote.

Looking forward to seeing recipes for the meal.  I'll pass on the drink and look forward to reading about the wine.

We were in Cork last year on our Zuiderdam cruise.  We had an enjoyable day.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a terrific day.

• Like 30

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and map @richwmn.   I agree with @MISTER 67 meh on the days and quote.   No to broccoli and the cocktail but an interesting gray German wine coming.  I look forward to today's port.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports @JazzyV.  Prayers for healing for Sandi's DS.  Prayers for Melissa, Chuck and Annie, Bonnie, Ann and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for Tana and Terry and happy to read reinforcements have arrived for the weekend.  Thanks for the update on the home sale Jacqui and the lovely photo of Ivan.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza. 

We are starting the day with rain.  I have a guy from Iron River who restores and stains cabins.   We will talk about doing mine two years from now including stripping the west end of the cabin where I sand the peeling stain each summer.  My DBIL whose daughter was married in Wyoming last week had come home sick from the trip.  He has COVID and influenza A.  They are having a large reception for my DN locally and obviously he will miss it.  Nothing like air travel these days.  Have a lovely Saturday!  Nancy 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D    I’ll celebrate all 3  days..  .    Special prayers fo r Melissa, Bonnie,  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  Bon Voyage 0106.

I like the Gautier quote..

Cruisetimetables does not distinguish between Ringaskiddy and Cobh for Cork.  Cobh is closer and I think the usual stop with Ringaskiddy primarily an overflow port but also a deep water port so some ships like QM2 may always go there.  It is across the harbor from Cork and a longer trip to Cork but a lovely little village.

Two very nice days in history.  I’ll take special pride in the record of Baltimore native Michael Phelps.  

Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is Pasta Primavera, Chilled Mixed Berry Soup, and Vietnamese Apple Strudel as served on MS Veendam August 17, 2013..

Hot with rain but I do hope to get to mall walk, UPS store, fire house, and grocery store today..

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Rich! Another spectacular morning. 71 and no humidity. Yesterday was a totally “unhumid” day. Hoping for another one. 

Vanessa, I was so happy to read that you had a good night and didn’t need to do the maneuver yesterday. Here’s to many more! Thank you for taking such care with our lists. 

No gym today. But Bindi walks and lots of outside chores will keep me busy. Then wrapping up the day at a friend’s for supper. It should be a great day!

IMG_3285.jpeg.56570340b4e360e58665af096711bb1f.jpeg

IMG_3301.jpeg.d1334f00446372b38795bbb5f97d8079.jpeg

IMG_3242.jpeg.ba33b0eeabaa109dd44335cbf4406bff.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, Terry (so happy the cavalry has arrived), Annie & Chuck, Melisa & DH, Ann & Pat, Bonnie, Terri & Jim, Jane’s son, Tony (so happy to read he is doing a bit better) and Jacqui. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Sandi, happy to read that DS’ surgery went well. I can not imagine not being able to use it for 3 weeks!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2020 Grauburgunder, Jülg, Pfalz

This white German Pinot Gris wine has led me on a merry chase. Most sites were in German, and sadly the one that actually seemed to have the best info - could not be translated even with Google. Even the vintner’s site didn’t mention it. 🤔 maybe because one could no longer buy it from them. But Vivino consumers love it. A solid 3.9 out of 5. Medium bodied, on the dry side and not too acidic. Decently priced, but a tad elusive unless you are in Germany. Though I did find one distributor that shipped to England. Average price per bottle - according to Vivino -$16.99.

Winemaker notes

Recently invited to join the prestigious VDP, Johannes Jülg has taken his place as a producer of some of Germany’s finest Pinot Noir.

Weingut Jülg is a stone’s throw from the French border, and half its vineyards are in Alsace. A further French connection is Johannes’s spell under Thierry Brouin at Domaine des Lambrays, which taught him to focus on complexity and elegance rather than obvious primary fruit. He also spent seven years working at top German estates, including Weingut Keller, before returning home in 2011, when his father handed him the reins of the twenty-hectare family estate. His primary focus has been to improve work in the vineyard with new French clones and denser planting, and the resulting wines have become finer and more balanced, with impressive Chardonnay and superb Pinot Noir. He is gradually expanding his Pinot Noir holdings – seizing any opportunity when choice vineyards become available. In 2021 the estate converted to organic practice.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Midsummer Night's Dream cocktail:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. passion fruit juice
3/4 oz. Elderflower liqueur
2 leaves sage leaf

Directions:
Muddle sage leaves in shaker.
Add all ingredients in the shaker and fill it with ice. Shake well.
Pour into a chilled glass and enjoy

Screenshot 2024-08-17 at 6.25.02 AM.png

Great drink that brings back memories from 60 years ago. It was the 400th anniversary of the birth of William Shakespeare and yours truly was performing in WS play, Midsummers Night Dream, in middle school. Don’t get the wrong idea but I was playing a fairy and shouted out the most important line in the play in a deep Southern English accent, “Here Peter Quince.”  And the rest is history!

• Like 16
  • Haha 15

A very early and already warm good morning from central Texas.  It is 79F at 6:30 am and feels like 85F.  Our predicted high is 101F, and we should be in the 90s 11 am.  Needless to say, I'm trying to get out to mow the yard as early as possible.  Since I have battery operated trimmer and mower, I won't disturb the neighbors with an early start.  The only noisy thing is the battery operated blower, but that is used last.

We've had one mostly black cat who lived to be 18 years old.  We do need to take care of our feet.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm not much into the meaning of is.

An interesting quote by Theophile Gautier.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine. 

While we have not been to Ringaskiddy, we have docked in Cobh many times, but only spent a brief time in Cork on our first stop in 2003 on Rotterdam VI.  I hope someone has pictures of the two towns to share.

As a former journalist, the donation by Joseph Pulitzer and the Pulitzer Prize are very important.  Michael Phelps set a high bar in swimming with all his gold medals.

@StLouisCruisers  Continued safe travels for your DS and DDIL.    

@kazu  Jacqui, I know Ivan is glad you kept the kneeler.  

@luvteaching  Welcome home, Karen and Karen.

@ski ww  Welcome home.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry your DBIL has covid and the flu.  I hope he feels better soon.

369471629_1722030528238235_609106721682204387_n.jpg.f5a6f71d8d34d4ee50776dd18e269a82.jpg

370001345_716399950528427_409262033747208553_n.jpg.97257ab02ef80f696c603016c666f9dd.jpg

370255470_846730833486760_3441250198864683627_n.jpg.d6d0c1e9649a1690d3c227b0424007a6.jpg

370268885_848035643557525_1483575723493052344_n.jpg.2dbce37cf191fb0fef80afbc93e5bfcb.jpg

371103771_683362903829087_5309680528209425988_n.jpg.5be5dcb33f5849b2d3c86cc759a93226.jpg

371766790_1727475034360451_7107896383443530699_n.jpg.828a4137ee593d84e8b7904ca2d524af.jpg

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 19

You're doing a wonderful job with the Dailys!!  Thank you!!!

We've had two black cats in my lifetime...  Grim and Othello.  No superstition here!  And we protected them, keeping them inside around Halloween!  (Too many hooligans who'd do them harm!)

And I do love my feet!  They keep me upright when I need to be, and I protect them with orthotics when I use them!!

Sorry Mr. Clinton...  You embarrassed yourself, your family and too many people of the world when you asked...  I doubt I'll celebrate, but I'll hang my head in shame for being an American...  How can anyone cheat?  Why??  (And there are so many who join him in cheating...)

Can't wait for the Loaded Broccoli Salad recipes!!!  Mmmmmmm

My daddy loved Midsummer Night's Dream as a play, and probably a drink!

And the wine and port would be new to me!!!

Prayers for all who are listed and those who haven't mentioned a need, but could use some, too!

• Like 28

Good morning, everyone!

We had rain overnight and we're expecting more rain this afternoon and evening.  Sue's happy as she doesn't have to water the flowers.  We're supposed to get rain most of the day today and tomorrow.  

Here's wishing Tina @0106 a wonderful cruise!  

@kazu It sounds pretty positive if inspectors are being sent out.   What a compliment to you from the inspector yesterday.  I did feel that in today's market people are willing to overlook cosmetics and concentrate on bones.  Mine sold so easily because of the wood floors, kitchen tile work, new siding and roof, front porch.  

@Crazy For Cats and @Sharon in AZ I am really getting excited.  We board a week from today.  Suitcases are out and I'm doing laundry, laundry, and more laundry.  

Today's meal is a favorite of mine.  There are different variations of this salad.  Some recipes include golden raisins and some have sugar in the dressing.  I tend to avoid the sugary stuff and put in some sunflower seeds.  Broccoli gives you more than a day's worth of vitamins C and K, as well as a nice dose of vitamin A, folate and manganese. There are also 2 grams of fiber in that same cup of broccoli, which is about 7% of your daily needs. Evidence suggests that certain compounds in broccoli may help protect against some cancers according to a review from Cancers in 2021.  It can also aid in blood glucose control, so eat your broccoli!  Broccoli Salad

loadedbroccolisalad1.jpg.676f411dc8beab8b1ff88e2e6ec26307.jpg

This next recipe is one of the sweet ones.  It has sugar in the dressing and dried cranberries in the salad.  Loaded Broccoli Salad

loadedbroccolisalad2.thumb.jpg.cab70e8d8a9002f0940999fc99afa63b.jpg

This recipe is keto, so low carb.  Low Carb Broccoli Salad

loadedbroccolisalad3.thumb.jpg.0edc247cbd57af1356bad1d08f09065f.jpg

Off to do laundry!   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s been a busy couple of weeks.  We had a new furnace/ac unit installed last Friday. That was a quick project, issue discovered on Monday, quoted on Wednesday and installed last Friday.  Had them back out this week since they didn’t set up the new thermostat to be programmable.  We also had our sewer line cleared out twice, since the first time they created a clog.  Work continues to be busy and I’m mentoring a new person to the group.

I’m packed for next Saturday with the exception of electronics.  Today’s agenda is making the house pet sitter ready.  

I’ll celebrate black cat day, even if Mona gets me out of bed at 4 am.  She is always up for an afternoon nap and sometimes I accommodate her request.  Hopefully I catch up on sleep while on the Zuiderdam.

20230605_191034.thumb.jpeg.defc0b43c8802a81f754162114057ac6.jpeg

• Like 33

Posted (edited)

Happy Saturday. Thanks for the daily and Fleet reports. 

Rainy weekend. Fancy will not be happy. I think I will use this weekend to chill out some. 

I have come to the conclusion that I am overthinking my dissertation when it comes to the statistics. So, I am going to stop it and just report the results as they are. Can I tell you how tired of this thing I am. Just going to get it done. 

Here is Sheldon, my favorite black cat. Yes. he is in the bathroom sink just hanging out. 

20170812_043703.thumb.jpg.04912b5fb1de561accb50bf82092582e.jpg

Bon voyage to @0106!

Crisp Mini on Embarking/Disembarking in DzC | Frontline Gaming

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Saturday! | Caturday funny, Caturday, Cat talk

Edited by Denise T
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2