The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 30th, 2024

Today is International Day of The Victims of Enforced Disappearances, International Whale Shark Day, and National Beach Day

Life is a work in progress. - Jeff Rich

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Corn and Peach Cobb Salad
Drink of the Day - Cognac Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Cayuse 2020 En Cerise Vineyard Syrah (Walla Walla Valley (OR))
Destination of the Day - Almeria, Spain

Today in History:
1682 William Penn leaves England to sail to the New World
1967 First African-American justice is Appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Victoria, BC, Canada    2000-2359

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC, Canada eta 8/31

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier

Glacier Bay, Alaska   0700-1600

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, round-trip North Cape The Midnight Sun

Tromso, Norway   0800-1600

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900

Oosterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Civitavecchia-Rome

At Sea Destination Naples, Italy eta 8/31

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas

At Sea Destination Rotterdam (Amsterdam), Holland eta 8/31

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal

Quebec City, Quebec   0700-2000

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Ketchikan, Alaska   0700-1300

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm   1000-1030

Juneau, Alaska   1330-2200

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City

Quebec City, Quebec   1100-overnight

image.thumb.png.ab8768596a23eff1b186ec58a06f2697.png

image.thumb.png.1c6ef2bd171771c9491d14958a8c8080.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 27

Good morning friends!  It’s 70 degrees right now and will only go up to 91 and mostly sunny today.  A pretty nice day.

Thanks to Rich @richwmn for preparing the Daily and Fleet Report info for us. The days of recognition are all important.  I’m not much of a beach person but I know of some who are.  I totally agree with the quote by Jeff Rich.  The salad sounds unique.  I would pass on the drink and wine of the day.  Both days in history were momentous.  Thanks Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your F&B Dept. reports today.

Prayers for our Daily Care group including Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Terri and Jim.  Praying for better days ahead.  Also praying for DB, the Israelis and Ukrainians, the remaining hostages, and our very important men and women of our military in the region. 🙏 Cheers to everyone celebrating special occasions, cruising and preparing to cruise! 🚢🥂 Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the list-keeping work once again.

The destination today is a new one – Almeria, Spain!  I haven’t been there but would love to.  I hope someone here will have photos to share.  Of course there will be no links today.

Our only plan today is to visit Kroger for some groceries.  Other than that I need to spend as much time as possible working on the Christmas stocking.  I don’t think there’s a chance I’ll finish it in 13 more days.  Back stitching everything can be very slow. Two weeks from today we drive to Ohio in preparation for DGD Ashley’s wedding and I wanted to take the finished stocking to her new hubby.  All that travel this year has kept me from working on it as much as I needed to.  Anyway, hopefully everyone has a good start to their Labor Day weekend.  Stay safe and keep well.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Happy Friday,  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Eva, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I like all 3 of today’s days.   Special prayers for Jacaui Ann, Pat, Terri, Jim,  Melissa, Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

I like the Rich quote...

I have not been to Almeria

I’ll take a bit of local pride in the day in 1967 as an adopted Marylander.  While I never actually lived in Baltimore City, in 1967 the alley behind my apartment was on the city line.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is on hiatus until late September.

Today will be pretty wet.  PT and Wegmans today but Wegmans has a garage with a covered walkway to the store entrance..

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It's a typical warm muggy morning here in SC today. However, the weekend forecast looks wonderful as temps drop to the low 90s for a change! 🙂

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!  

20231104_061201.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Prayers and (((hugs))) to all of us.  Happy Friday!

Cognac Old Fashioned cocktail:

The Cognac Old-Fashioned is a delicious twist on the classic Old Fashioned cocktail, substituting bourbon or rye whiskey with cognac. This drink is perfect for those who enjoy the smooth, rich flavors of cognac and want to enjoy them in a new way. The recipe for this cocktail is simple, yet elegant, with just a few key ingredients that allow the flavor of the cognac to really shine through.
Ingredients:
2 dashes angostura bitters
1/2 oz. simple syrup
2 oz. cognac
Directions:
In an Old-Fashioned glass, add the simple syrup and Angostura bitters and mix
Add ice to the glass and pour in the cognac then stir the mixture gently to combine the ingredients.
Express the oils from the orange peel over the top of the drink, then drop the peel into the glass.

Screenshot 2024-08-30 at 6.27.13 AM.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 25

Today's sunrise is from a 2012 round trip transatlantic, New York to Southampton on QM2 and returning on Crystal Symphony from Dover.  August 29 was the second morning out of New York:

dawn30a.jpg

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports.

I can breathe just a little. No meetings, clients, or classes today. Scheduled for a massage. The best news is that I will finally have the first draft of my dissertation completed today. Then it goes off to review by my dissertation committee. There were several times where I needed to step away from it. The end is in sight finally. I intend to relax a bit this Labor Day weekend. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Finally - Friday | Its friday quotes, Funny, Jw humor

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Today’s Care List:

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Seasick Sailor’s DS Bonnie needing more surgery next week

Aliaschief safe travels to CA to spend time with DS and family

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Haljo1935 with kidney stones

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing heart valve surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cruzin Terri with no need for surgery currently for partial rotator cuff tear

Kazu accepted an offer on her house

NextOne doing well post hip surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Tbay (Volendam Aug 31 to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 59th Anniversary

2 days for Lindaler (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

2 days for Richwmn (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

2 days for Seasick Sailor (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary

2 days for USN59-79 (Westerdam Sept 1 to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan

0106 (Rotterdam to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway, TiogaCruiser (Volendam to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery, Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Aug 31) 9d Canada/New England, LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer, Dobiemom (Westerdam to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer, Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Dfish (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 23

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A cool morning, only 11C (51F) when Bertie and I went for a walk.  While walking, I noticed a skunk further along, so I turned Bertie around and we headed away quickly.  We got away without incident. 🙂

Three good days to celebrate.

I agree with the quote.

The meal sounds interesting.  I'd like to try the drink.  Not sure about the wine but I'm willing to give it a taste, or two.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone.   Thanks for the daily and maps Rich and Sandi.  I was at the beach in Cancun and a giant whale shark swam by.  It was unusual because it was January, not usually in the area then.   A true quote.   I look forward to a new port in Spain.   Thanks for researching the food and drinks each day.  I'll pass on the salad, the cocktail but Cayuse is a big yes.  I have been on the waiting list for offers for purchase and got a message a year ago I am getting closer probably another two years wait. Probably out of my price range now. 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  I was happy to read your vertigo is getting less troublesome.  Prayers for Melissa, Ann, Bonnie, Sandi's DB, Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Jim and Terri, Jacqui and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.    Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

A damp morning here, an opportunity to clean the house for our Labor Day brisket party.  It will probably be eight people.   Yesterday we fished and not a bite where we usually catch bass and walleye except for one.  John just placed new 8 pound test line on his pole and he got something big on his line.  I got the net and stood watching but the fish never became visible and kept going under the boat.  After a minute of fighting his line snapped.   This lake has some massive Northern Pike and we think that was what John fought and why our game fish have left the area.  Have a lovely Friday!  Nancy 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning...  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports!!!

Hugs and prayers to all and any Victims of this day of remembering or any problem!

As for Whale Sharks and Beaches...  Love all that happens at the Sea and in the Sea!!!

It looks like a YUMMY day!!  I'll enjoy all the info and recipes!!

I'm off for an oil change this morning!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi! It is a bit muggy out this morning with a tiny hint of a  breeze. We are overdue for rain. Our prevailing Easterly winds are keeping the rains to the Western side of the state.    

Yesterday’s trip to the health department took a heck of a lot longer than it should have. I had an 8 a.m. appointment and I walked into the Doctor’s office at 8:45! But she was so amazing at inoculating me, that I did not realize she had done it until she put a bandaid on the spot. I actually arrived for my pedicure a couple minutes late. I hate being late. 🤬

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. I am happy to read that you have seen an improvement since you started to do the maneuver every day. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores and then supper out with friends at a great local breakfast/lunch place that only does a themed dinner once a month. We will be bringing our own wine. 😎

IMG_3336.jpeg.dd0fe6e7433cf72c5eebff23d7a4fb91.jpeg

IMG_3331.jpeg.e519b93d62ea145b0b2349132444be80.jpeg

IMG_3328.jpeg.e0969d1f5a6b1bc2114e5e39b5d774d4.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying that Tana’s FF is off the charts & that Terry has an uneventful day! Praying for Melisa & DH, Bonnie, Annie & Chuck, Tony, Ann & Pat, Nancy’s DB, Elizabeth, Jacqui, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Cayuse 2020 En Cerise Vineyard Syrah (Walla Walla Valley (OR))

This  Syrah has lots of fans in the consumer ranks, too.  I would love a taste, though I usually need my Syrahs tempered with a tiny bit of something such as Viognier to really enjoy them. But this one is outside of my budget. A decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $98.00.

And the critics say…

96 Points. This is meaty, with ripe dark berries, plum skins, smoked bacon, cocoa and ground spiced and pepper. Medium- to full-bodied with firm, chalky tannins and a polished texture, with crushed-stone minerality and dried orange peel. Lengthy and persistent, with a savory finish. From biodynamically grown grapes. Drink or hold. —James Suckling, jamessuckling.com

96 Points. Another stunning Syrah from Cayuse, the 2020 En Cerise Vineyard is made from 100% Syrah that is aged for 18 months in 15-20% new French oak barrels. Blue plum, Spanish olives, smoked brisket, and dried white grapefruit zest combine perfectly on the palate alongside that phenomenal stoney minerality that is always present in these wines. Tannins are silky smooth and merge well with the nearly perfect levels of acidity. Highly recommended. —Jeremy Young, International Wine Report

95+ Points. A mentholated freshness lifts savory woodland herbs and dried black cherries as the 2020 Syrah En Cerise Vineyard opens in the glass. Juicy and vividly fruit-focused, this cascades across the palate with a crystalline blend of wild berries and spice, gaining a more savory edge toward the close. The 2020 tapers off crunchy, leaving gritty tannins and a bump of residual acidity that adds freshness. Then En Cerise will be an exciting wine to follow, showing and aging potential not seen in many 2020s. —Eric Guido, Vinous

95 Points. A stunning wine from a tough vintage, the 2020 En Cerise Vineyard Syrah is drinking beautifully right now. Red currants, copious minerals, kumquat zest, Nori and pulled pork flavors combine with stony accents on the palate. Finishing long with bright red fruits and citrus accents, this comes off very clean, with no rough edges. Enjoy now and over the next five plus years. —Owen Bargreen, owenbargreen.com

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily report and everyone’s contributions.  It’s always a welcome start to the day.  It’s a bit chilly this morning, 46F but will get to 73F later today.  Good weather for cutting the grass.

I will celebrate beach day today.  Yesterday was our first foray to the beach with our new beach sticker on our car.  I think it could become our late afternoon routine.  We’ve been so busy with moving in errands the past two months that we haven’t gotten close to the water.

I like today’s quote;  short, and to the point.

I like the sound of today’s meal suggestion but I’ll pass on the drink.  I’ve never really liked the taste of cognac.  Someone can have mine.

I haven’t been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list, I hope things improve for them.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  Please be careful if you are traveling this holiday weekend. 🚗🛤️🚢🛩️

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. This morning I encountered  a skunk when out in the dark with the dogs. I quickly turned them around like @puppycanducruise, Melanie did. It was raining heavily so they didn’t mind returning to the house quickly. It will only be 74 or so later today and we have opened all possible windows.

i will celebrate the three days and like the quote. I have not been to the port and the recipe might be interesting. The peaches we get here have not been great for the last two years but I am willing to try them again.

@Denise T, Congratulations on finishing your first draft! I hope  the committee is favorable.

@Mr. Boston, Glad you finally got to the beach, pictures please!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Grilled corn and peach Cobb salad

Each recipe is slightly different. A nice summer idea whether you grill the corn or use a couple of cobs left over from a previous dinner. 

Grilled Peach and Corn Salad Recipe | Food Network Kitchen | Food Network

image.thumb.png.c396cb7b318afb0c52e79ddd52f5fe39.png

Grilled Corn and Peach Salad - What Should I Make For...

image.thumb.png.5d1dd016854ee4f2f8b11dad14713b35.png

Grilled Peach Salad - Hungry Healthy Happy

image.thumb.png.67b31d0e6fa57eba95d95c6dc2d712ce.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10

An early good morning from central Texas.  It is 73F with a 3mph breeze from the east.  The humidity is 98% because the dew point is 72F.  As we head to this afternoon's predicted high of 92F the humidity will drop.  The main thing on the agenda this morning is a very much needed haircut.  I hope to get out of the house early so I can do my errands before the haircut.  

Yesterday afternoon, we booked two more cruises on BHBs out of San Diego this winter.  We originally we planned on making them b2b, but we found a longer one, 11 day, that goes to the same places as the 7-day but adds three more ports including a new one for us.  In early December we'll be boarding Zaandam for a Sea of Cortez-Mexican Riviera cruise that includes scenic cruising in a bay along the western coast of Baja Sur and a day in Manzanillo.  In January we'll be joining several Dailyites, including Debbie @dfish and Tina @0106, for a 17 day Hawaii cruise on Koningsdam.  It will be interesting to compare one of the smallest ships in the fleet with one of the largest ships.

When I saw it is International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances, I thought of the "Disappeared" in Argentina.  While we're not beach fans, we enjoy them when we go snorkeling.  Whale sharks are magnificent, gentle creatures, and are the largest fish.  We were fortunate to see one up close and personal, from a boat, when we were in La Paz, Mexico, on March 4, 2016.  Here are a couple of pictures of the one we saw.  This one was much longer than our boat and was close to the surface. 

DSC04766.thumb.JPG.01977fc7c94e2393b9e6e9e7051c61ba.JPG

DSC04772.thumb.JPG.9893679725f79a4ffe1174d8215688d8.JPG

I totally agree with the Jeff Rich quote.

Today's meal sounds interesting, and I want to look at the recipes.  I'll pass on the drink, but DH might like it.  He also likes Syrah wines, but they are the only red I do not care for, and this one is a bit pricey.

We have not been to Almeria, Spain.

A good day for Pennsylvania in 1682 when William Penn sailed to the New World.

I remember when LBJ appointed Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court in 1967.

@TiogaCruiser  Thank you for the beautiful pictures, Laura.

@aliaschief  Safe travels today, Bruce.  Enjoy your visit with family before heading to Hawaii.

@Denise T  Congratulations on completing the first draft of your dissertation today, Denise.  I hope the committee approves it with very few, if any, changes.

@puppycanducruise  and @smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad you saw the skunks before they saw you.

@Mr. Boston  I'm glad you are settled into your new home and can now enjoy the beach and other areas nearby.

456611059_8506122619406834_687244166214377559_n.jpg.dfc36b41ad56036592ad6d09b0baec8f.jpg

456248491_122162593094047017_4125682349472692864_n.jpg.4c0cd0b2283663860f6aebdf160940f3.jpg454290464_1004211635037015_8603021371677800592_n.jpg.02def56421e425218fba26cac37a30fd.jpg

456430801_467439469456290_6774123164892269345_n.jpg.99e1657e14a4adf32d5144bf2842f798.jpg

456513395_122173516844046691_7281457720280617959_n.jpg.8deffd68b6ed924d142aa9a3aef1ab34.jpg

456514527_367603283059669_8748121395239541874_n.jpg.4ef5e0e4b6fbc24aabacb5dc85981aea.jpg

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 15

Good morning Dailyites 

A beautiful morning here in Georgetown. 

Prayers for each of you today. I hope you have a safe holiday.

Today is a few last minute chores,  cut MSH hair, pedicures, lunch and that's it.

Looking forward to seeing some Dailyites onboard the Westerdam on Sunday. Don't forget to catch Rich's Live From thread!

Blessings 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Headed to the airport in ten minutes. Here we go again! Have a great Labor Day weekend and stay safe.

Thanks for the reports and your post. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.f331c4f63fa21f28cf186c62e771d4bf.jpegimage.jpeg.f7f1d63e2dce61d390d6beb677b39673.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.26803ebcf17210bfdccb9162cfd74c6c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3245fc743e83493426285ef20be7c68d.jpeg

Yes, I can relate to those tiny onions. And thank goodness we had a dog that like green peas! 😀

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

23 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

An early good morning from central Texas.  It is 73F with a 3mph breeze from the east.  The humidity is 98% because the dew point is 72F.  As we head to this afternoon's predicted high of 92F the humidity will drop.  The main thing on the agenda this morning is a very much needed haircut.  I hope to get out of the house early so I can do my errands before the haircut.  

Yesterday afternoon, we booked two more cruises on BHBs out of San Diego this winter.  We originally we planned on making them b2b, but we found a longer one, 11 day, that goes to the same places as the 7-day but adds three more ports including a new one for us.  In early December we'll be boarding Zaandam for a Sea of Cortez-Mexican Riviera cruise that includes scenic cruising in a bay along the western coast of Baja Sur and a day in Manzanillo.  In January we'll be joining several Dailyites, including Debbie @dfish and Tina @0106, for a 17 day Hawaii cruise on Koningsdam.  It will be interesting to compare one of the smallest ships in the fleet with one of the largest ships.

When I saw it is International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances, I thought of the "Disappeared" in Argentina.  While we're not beach fans, we enjoy them when we go snorkeling.  Whale sharks are magnificent, gentle creatures, and are the largest fish.  We were fortunate to see one up close and personal, from a boat, when we were in La Paz, Mexico, on March 4, 2016.  Here are a couple of pictures of the one we saw.  This one was much longer than our boat and was close to the surface. 

DSC04766.thumb.JPG.01977fc7c94e2393b9e6e9e7051c61ba.JPG

DSC04772.thumb.JPG.9893679725f79a4ffe1174d8215688d8.JPG

I totally agree with the Jeff Rich quote.

Today's meal sounds interesting, and I want to look at the recipes.  I'll pass on the drink, but DH might like it.  He also likes Syrah wines, but they are the only red I do not care for, and this one is a bit pricey.

We have not been to Almeria, Spain.

A good day for Pennsylvania in 1682 when William Penn sailed to the New World.

I remember when LBJ appointed Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court in 1967.

@TiogaCruiser  Thank you for the beautiful pictures, Laura.

@aliaschief  Safe travels today, Bruce.  Enjoy your visit with family before heading to Hawaii.

@Denise T  Congratulations on completing the first draft of your dissertation today, Denise.  I hope the committee approves it with very few, if any, changes.

@puppycanducruise  and @smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad you saw the skunks before they saw you.

@Mr. Boston  I'm glad you are settled into your new home and can now enjoy the beach and other areas nearby.

456611059_8506122619406834_687244166214377559_n.jpg.dfc36b41ad56036592ad6d09b0baec8f.jpg

456248491_122162593094047017_4125682349472692864_n.jpg.4c0cd0b2283663860f6aebdf160940f3.jpg454290464_1004211635037015_8603021371677800592_n.jpg.02def56421e425218fba26cac37a30fd.jpg

456430801_467439469456290_6774123164892269345_n.jpg.99e1657e14a4adf32d5144bf2842f798.jpg

456513395_122173516844046691_7281457720280617959_n.jpg.8deffd68b6ed924d142aa9a3aef1ab34.jpg

456514527_367603283059669_8748121395239541874_n.jpg.4ef5e0e4b6fbc24aabacb5dc85981aea.jpg

Lenda

Oh, come on Ms Crystal, I recoginize those waters, the whale was at Sea World! 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 9