A VERY Expensive Shorex

ger_77

We set sail on Feb 13th, asked for a sail-away shot - made an error, thought our friend's cabin was the deck above the lifeboats, turned out it was on the same deck. My mistake - we were still out there on the balcony, champagne in hand, waving like mad.

Half Moon Cay did not disappoint - we had a cabana booked with our friends, enjoyed frolicking in the water, lunch amid the chickens, sun, sand like powdered sugar. Aruba & Curacao were just as we remembered, service onboard great as usual. We spent time in the Piano Bar with Stryker - he does not tickle the ivories, he pounds the keys, but we knew that from before; he still plays good tunes.

The night before entering the Panama Canal DH was uncomfortable prior to going to bed; woke me at 11:30, said I had better call the doctor - chest pains. We went to the medical centre and after 14 hours, were medically disembarked in Colon. Ambulance took us to Panama City (frightening when the driver reached across me and locked my door at Colon, stating "Not safe here."). We were treated like gold at the hospital, DH got clearance to leave (not cardiac, but a thoracic hernia) after 1 day, and we made our way back to Miami where we are now. We will join our friends in FLL when they disembark tomorrow, spend another day in the sun and warmth, before heading back to the frozen tundra on Tuesday. Yes, this has been the most expensive shore-ex to date; hopefully insurance will cover some/all of the costs. I guess DH's desire for a jaguar will take a while longer :rolleyes:. You never know how a day is going to turn out. I have a new motto: take photos as if you'll never be here again, 'cause you just don't know!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

So glad things weren't as serious as first feared. Hope you can enjoy some of Florida's sunshine before heading back home! We board the Z tomorrow and I plan on taking lots of photos. Like you said, you never know whether you'll be back.

Glad your DH is okay. Enjoy your few days in the sun, even though it is not a cruise ship. I know full well what it feels like to have things like this happen. Be glad you are both okay. The insurance will come through.

Saying a prayer of thanksgiving it was not as bad as it could have been.

There will be other cruises.

Terri

I know full well what it feels like to have things like this happen. Be glad you are both okay. There will be other cruises.

Terri

I was thinking about your experience while waiting for test results, etc., wondering what kind of help you received from the port agent. We received nothing. There was a man standing at the ambulance, who only gave a grunt after I asked if he was the port agent. He said there would be a woman who would meet us at the hospital, and nada. A big disappointment there. I'm not going sour grapes, I'm just glad to be beside my DH, knowing he owes me BIG time! LOL

Gerry

Hi Gerry. So sorry you had that happen to you! I live in Regina now but I was born and grew up in Saskatoon. It is so scary when something like that happens far from home! Had a medical emergency in Paris years ago and ended up in the hospital. So glad all is well and you are safe at home. One hint about insurance. Sask health should cover some (we actually contacted our MLA and he got it done when we got some flack). Good luck and keep healthy!

Jo

Certainly not a shore excursion experience one would want, but the ending turned out to be hopefully OK as your husband is properly treated.

Travel insurance seems so expensive when one purchases it, but it becomes such a "minor expense" if one has had to use it. I hope you will be well treated by whichever insurance company you purchased the policy.

I was thinking about your experience while waiting for test results, etc., wondering what kind of help you received from the port agent. We received nothing. There was a man standing at the ambulance, who only gave a grunt after I asked if he was the port agent. He said there would be a woman who would meet us at the hospital, and nada. A big disappointment there. I'm not going sour grapes, I'm just glad to be beside my DH, knowing he owes me BIG time! LOL

Gerry

Gerry,

We never made it to the cruise ship. My husband became ill in the hotel in Rome. The hotel was phenomenal in helping us. We never saw the port agent because we never got that far. As for our second aborted trip when my BIL became ill, that too was before we arrived at the port.

Sorry the port agent was of no help.

Terri

Your experience reminds us that savvy travelers should always have a PlanB; "Next Flight to USA..and step on it" often works. It happened to us in 1989 with Dengue Fever. Credit Cards are a wonderful thing. Great to hear things are A-OK. Locomotiveman Tom