Millennium Revolution -

Jim_Iain

1 minute ago, villauk said:

Perhaps you ought to start a new thread disclosing all the additional equipment one needs to bring to sail on Edge 🤣 - it could even become a sticky!

Too late - there was one a while back on the Edge forum -  we had predicted most of the things we would need many months ago as things were revealed and had some tongue in cheek fun with my portside store (though hoping we were wrong about all of the things we identified).

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, villauk said:

18 minutes ago, villauk said:

At least they have proper balconies, but I agree and that’s why their Royal class ships wouldn’t interest me. 

Two days later we were beside Britannia which is exactly the same. Not a change of us cruising on either as we like our Celebrity balcony.

21 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Too late - there was one a while back on the Edge forum -  we had predicted most of the things we would need many months ago as things were revealed and had some tongue in cheek fun with my portside store (though hoping we were wrong about all of the things we identified).

There may be some decent trade at your store as I can’t say I’d want to cart lots of extra baggage half way around the world. It would mean far less room for shoes in my luggage  😮  and I just wouldn’t be able to cope with that 🤣.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

When I cruise, room service breakfast is my one true decadence - I don't have to get dressed and walk the dog.  Someone BRINGS me food while I'm in my bathrobe.  Well, I've solved the missing table problem!  😂  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07KYBR1TF/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1  They even have chairs (which look more comfortable than Edge chairs).  And the table will fit in my checked bag.  It'll be sort of like glamping with room service.  This and my inflatable beach ball for a footstool and I'm all set!

Great idea! I’m trying to figure out how to add one of those tables to my checked luggage, without having to leave shoes behind😂  We barely made United’s weight limit last time. If only we were retired, we could drive to the port with an extra bag full of Edge-essentials😉 

Edited by Silkroad

12 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

While we enjoy meeting people from all over the world, that's not why we love cruising. We go on a cruise to go on a cruise. If we get to know a few people, that's fine. If we don't then that's fine too.

Did we meet on the Edge?  Your name is familiar and think we may have.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:01 AM, vtcruising said:

Since my name was mentioned above, I just wanted to clarify what I heard onboard  the Edge about one of X’s visions for the Edge was to get people to come together more to enjoy experiences together (or some such thing). I can’t remember if it was when I questioned the lack of decent suite balcony furniture and was told that the Retreat Sundeck has plenty of wonderful loungers (hence the subtle message to get out and enjoy being with others, instead of staying by myself on my own balcony - my thoughts, not what actually said🙂) or what the context was for the person talking about the Edge vision of getting people to gather together. I then started to think about the large multi-deck bars/lounges and the huge pool and lovely pool area and I suppose that could be more ways to get people to gather and interact, instead of having loungers/reclining chairs/footstools on the balconies and small lounges. I think in the Edge Grand Plaza video, one of the designers mentions that he envisions a space where people will come together, if I remember correctly.  I’m not sure about it being a way to increase revenue (though sounds plausible), just the “vision for guests to congregate” piece that was discussed with me.  😊

No doubt Celebrity will do everything and anything to increase revenue as any other corporation would do. But my own opinion is that they would not purposely design uncomfortable cabins so guests would not want to use them.  I think they were into modern "chic" mode with Kelly Hoppen and some do not like her taste. Some people find everything a corporation does suspicious or underhanded so jump to these conclusions easily.  Marilyn I am not saying that is you.  Please forgive me if you think I implied that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

No doubt Celebrity will do everything and anything to increase revenue as any other corporation would do. But my own opinion is that they would not purposely design uncomfortable cabins so guests would not want to use them.  I think they were into modern "chic" mode with Kelly Hoppen and some do not like her taste. Some people find everything a corporation does suspicious or underhanded so jump to these conclusions easily.

I understand “modern” design ideas that may be trending but perhaps some shouldn’t be implemented at the expense of passengers' comfort. I happen to like a lot of Kelly Hoppen's designs, color pallets, fabric choices, etc. in the staterooms. Everything looks beautiful in a picture, but the truth is almost all of the furniture (with the exception of the rockers 😉) is uncomfortable and some even impractical. Ultimately the CEO has the final decision about everything, and that being said, why would she/he OK these choices? I think its a valid question.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I understand “modern” design ideas that may be trending but perhaps some shouldn’t be implemented at the expense of passengers' comfort. I happen to like a lot of Kelly Hoppen's designs, color pallets, fabric choices, etc. in the staterooms. Everything looks beautiful in a picture, but the truth is almost all of the furniture (with the exception of the rockers 😉) is uncomfortable and some even impractical. Ultimately the CEO has the final decision about everything, and that being said, why would she/he OK these choices? I think its a valid question.

Kelly Hoppen strikes me as a form over function person.  She wants it to look good, but doesn't care if it's functional.  Good design is also functional.  She flunks by that criteria.  

• Like 5

If Celebrity was trying to maximize revenue by deliberately making the cabins – and especially the verandas – uncomfortable ... I think it will backfire.  I just booked a cruise on Windstar and learned that the 'balconies' on their Star class ships are merely 'French balconies.'  Result:  we booked an oceanview and saved $$$.  As the lack of loungers on Celebrity balconies gets wider publicity, I suspect people will come to the same conclusion I did and downgrade to ocean views.  Unintended consequences will bite you :classic_ohmy:

22 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

oh my how funny- Edge essentials- wonderful idea! Only if you book the edge- many more options still open with X- well at least until all their ships are Edgesized! LOL!

You’re absolutely right when you say there are other options. As it happens, I booked the Edge eastbound TA the day the schedule opened (so our fare was much lower than current fares) because we were intrigued by the beautiful new ship, but our next cruise will be on Reflection, which we’ve sailed before. It will be interesting to compare the two ships within the space of several months. Unfortunately, we’re flying to FLL to embark on the Edge TA, so I don’t think we can manage the extra bag of Edge-essentials😂

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Kelly Hoppen strikes me as a form over function person.  She wants it to look good, but doesn't care if it's functional.  Good design is also functional.  She flunks by that criteria.  

I couldn’t agree more! Though I’m not averse to a modern design aesthetic, I’m not at all impressed by some of the furniture choices (or lack of furniture, in some cases) made by Ms. Hoppen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I agree a new ship is always something special- the smell- everything looks brand new- the beds have very little " history" - LOL!

And we thought the new "Cashmere" bed would make a nice impression, but it was so firm we hardly left a dent! :classic_sad:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

The Solstice Class of Ships were prefectly fine as they were, I am concerned with what they are going to become. 

So am I?

I missed the elegant of sailing with Celebrity now.

Their staterooms now looks liked  an upgraded Holiday Inn Hotel room. IMHO.

I feel Celebrity needs to look at Disney Cruise Line for how a cruise ship stateroom should look for the millennium population.

Disney’’s staterooms and restaurants are excellent. Just read their ship reviews.

Edited by cruise47

16 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Yes I agree after sailing Edge I found the stateroom couch in our CS very hard and uncomfortable.  But I loved the rocker.  Not sure if it was removed from the CS or is still there.  That would be unfortunate. The bed was very comfortable too.  The two armchairs on our balcony were comfortable enough but the lack of footrests was the issue.  The color scheme in the cabin with the accent pillows and artwork was very tasteful.  I spent the usual amount of time in my cabin- no thoughts of leaving and spending more money on the ship because of the cabin comfort or decor.  Besides I could not afford any of the shops on board!  Valid question about the CEO (Lisa) approving the final choices but it is usually a management committee that makes the recommendations to the CEO in most corporations.  Surely some of them had to sit on the furniture!

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I agree after sailing Edge I found the stateroom couch in our CS very hard and uncomfortable.  But I loved the rocker.  Not sure if it was removed from the CS or is still there.  That would be unfortunate. The bed was very comfortable too.  The two armchairs on our balcony were comfortable enough but the lack of footrests was the issue.  The color scheme in the cabin with the accent pillows and artwork was very tasteful.  I spent the usual amount of time in my cabin- no thoughts of leaving and spending more money on the ship because of the cabin comfort or decor.  Besides I could not afford any of the shops on board!  Valid question about the CEO (Lisa) approving the final choices but it is usually a management committee that makes the recommendations to the CEO in most corporations.  Surely some of them had to sit on the furniture!

I've just been reading a post on FB by someone in a Sky suite on the newly renovated Millennium. They also posted photos of their suite which I wish I could share, but have been unable to copy them. The poster was pointing out the issues in the cabin. In his photos the bedside lamp looks like something from a dorm room, it's very small and does not have outlets for charging like the ones on the Edge. He mentioned that the lamps in Aqua and below had outlets, but not in the SS. The “darling little torture stools” look like camp stools, or something that some hotel rooms have to put your luggage on, imo. And a desk that you can’t really sit at because the chair is too high? After reading his comments I'm not so sure that X management actually checked out any of the furniture prior to approval

Some of the changes to the Sky Suites on the Celebrity Millennium. Notice the nightstand lamps, they are at least 2inches lower than the mattress, try reading a book with the light they give off. The chairs have been replaced by these darling little torture stools. The desk is to low to sit in the chair and place your legs underneath the desk and the chair always sticks out into the room. By far the worst feature of the updated cabins is the shower, there's no curtain to stop water from soaking practically everything in the bathroom unless you place the shower head into the corner and block the water with your body... The room looks nice, something right out of the IKEA showroom but it doesn’t function well. Hope Celebrity takes the suggestions that guests have given and change the ships upcoming for their upgrades.”

Edited by C-Dragons

8 hours ago, cruise47 said:

So am I?

I missed the elegant of sailing with Celebrity now.

Their staterooms now looks liked  an upgraded Holiday Inn Hotel room. IMHO.

I feel Celebrity needs to look at Disney Cruise Line for how a cruise ship stateroom should look for the millennium population.

Disney’’s staterooms and restaurants are excellent. Just read their ship reviews.

Sorry, but the rooms were about the only thing we did enjoy on our one and only Disney Cruise! They put little thought into crowd loads in the public areas - the pools are about big abough to be truly dubbed "DNA stew pots". We felt elbow to elbow in almost every single area. Add the consistent human mass to the increased noise levels at the inflated price thay charge  and the non-functional new decor on Millennium still looks great!

14 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I can´t tell if the conception of dear Ms. Hoppen works- since I have not sailed in one of her new creations as of yet- it looks ary and fresh though! I guess X  i well aware that some may like it- some not!

The pictures are horrifying.  A sky suite with a bedside lamp you can't read by.  A desk chair that doesn't allow you to get your legs under the desk.  Even the chair won't fit under the desk.  Really?  A kindergartener could have done better.  I can't believe she got paid to do this.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The pictures are horrifying.  A sky suite with a bedside lamp you can't read by.  A desk chair that doesn't allow you to get your legs under the desk.  Even the chair won't fit under the desk.  Really?  A kindergartener could have done better.  I can't believe she got paid to do this.

I agree. We have a future cruise booked on Summit in a CS. Can’t see paying premium prices if the suite renovations will be comparable to the SS. X has really dropped the ball, they were supposed to be moving forward, not back to the '50s

Edited by C-Dragons

3 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I agree completely. They should be ashamed of the lack of funtionality! 

We sail next week in a sky suite. We frequently get room service breakfast to enjoy as we get ready for port days. There is a nice fat tip waiting for our butler or cabin steward if they can procure a functional table. (Perhaps we'll just move the balcony table inside for the duration?)

• Like 1