Celebrity Eliminating Beef Tournados Entree

TommyD3

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

Steak Diane has been on the menu for many years. I’m very familiar with how it should taste. Last night, it did not live up to its previous reputation. The meet was tough and chewy. The sauce was not correctly prepared.

Oh boy. Not good. 

39 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

I hope Celebrity is very careful what they do to the beef choices.  Other lines have almost limited beef/steak to the speciality restaurants.  And people do notice.

Any comments about the always available "steak" and other beef entrees?  Thanks.

Just off the Reflection...Steak Diane on the menu.  This can be made with any cut of beef, in some cases flank steak tenderized: " Steak Diane is an American dish of a pan-fried beefsteak with a sauce made from the seasoned pan juices, generally prepared in restaurant tableside."   This can be a very tasty dish if made with a good cut of beef.

Tournedos not on menu... "Tournedos (meat cut) , small round pieces of beef cut from the end portion of beef tenderloin."  This isn't necessarily the best of the tenderloin either.

Re "everyday steak"....DH ordered it twice and both times, quite tender and would recommend it.  BTW...I'm partial to beef over other meats and didn't have a good filet in ANY specialty restaurant, nor a tender roast beef slice.  In the MDR I put this down to trying to prepare for 0000's of people...not easy to provide any dish to order with those numbers.  Specialty restaurants disappointed, quality IMHO going down generally in all dining locations (haven't dined in BLU, so maybe better?).

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Like 2

DH is an ex-butcher, meat packing house owner and multiple restaurant owner.  If I have him The chance, he would eat a steak every night.

He doesn't love the steak on the every day MDR menu, but he was okay with it.  Without complaints, he orders it multiple times during a cruise.

Disclosure:  Being thrify, We never book cabins that allow access to Blu or Luminae.  We do eat in the speciality restaurants a few times during our cruises.   And Frankly, if the MDR was as bad as some posters claim, we wouldn't book that Cruise line.  That's the sole reason we are unlikely to book NCL again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Again, this thread goes to further point out how 'subjective' food is, even among different ships and cruise lines....

Regardless of the fact items are being recycled out or in on any given menu and on any given sailing.... one must anticipate or expect that menu items will be removed. Some will like, some will not...

bon appetite and bon voyage

• Like 2

I’m sorry to hear that many are disappointed that the Tournedos are being replaced. But kind of shocked to hear that anyone would chose to cruise on a specific line because of a single menu item. Menus change all the time. I’d rather have a consistently good menu overall rather than counting on one specific dish to be served. Jm2c.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I’m sorry to hear that many are disappointed that the Tournedos are being replaced. But kind of shocked to hear that anyone would chose to cruise on a specific line because of a single menu item. Menus change all the time. I’d rather have a consistently good menu overall rather than counting on one specific dish to be served. Jm2c.

lol - try inserting the words "eliminating" and one of "Escargot, Onion Soup or Shrimp Cocktail" in adjacent posts and you'll have a revolution on your hands - and not like the one happening on the Summit.

It's not one menu item;it's many.  For instance, there was no rack of lamb on the MDR menu on my last cruise.  Prices are increasing and value is decreasing.  I have an Oceania cruise booked in May.  It was not much more expensive than the Infinity cruise which I was also looking at.  At the prices X is charging I will be booking elsewhere more often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

True Steak Diane should be flambeed tableside. Obviously that cannot be done in a cruise ship MDR. I'd never order it for the reason that it would not taste as it should, because it can't be prepared as it should.

I’m looking at the Blu menu on the app and there is lamb on it on two evenings, one as a salad entree and one other evening as a herb crusted.

Im starting to wonder, assuming the menus on the app are correct, if the changes in the MDR  have something to do with cabin classifications since they seem to be leaving some of  the goodies at least for the moment in Blu and above. 

I see a pan seared Filet, but on no evening is there shrimp or any sort of small tail or surf and turf idea. 

Edited by MizDemeanor

9 minutes ago, barbels said:

It's not one menu item;it's many.  For instance, there was no rack of lamb on the MDR menu on my last cruise.  Prices are increasing and value is decreasing.  I have an Oceania cruise booked in May.  It was not much more expensive than the Infinity cruise which I was also looking at.  At the prices X is charging I will be booking elsewhere more often.

I have actually found the opposite to be true - when I was comparing lines for an upcoming Alaska cruise, Celebrity offered much better bang for the buck than Princess. Our price per day on our last few cruises INCLUDING the drink package has been the same or less than what we paid in 2010 for our first Celebrity cruise, which did NOT include a drink package. Given that it is still possible to find fares equal to or less than what they were charging 10 years ago, it doesn't surprise me at all that they need to make cuts to the MDR menu.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't cruise for the food.  I'd much rather have a very nice dinner in my home town than to pay extra for food in a specialty restaurant.  I've never had a meal on a ship as good as I can get at the Capital Grille, Jeff Ruby's, or Jags, ( a local, non-chain steakhouse.)  We dine out frequently - not a big deal when cruising.

I'm happy with the food in the MDR. I'm a light eater and I enjoy variety, so changes to menu works for me.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

I have actually found the opposite to be true - when I was comparing lines for an upcoming Alaska cruise, Celebrity offered much better bang for the buck than Princess. Our price per day on our last few cruises INCLUDING the drink package has been the same or less than what we paid in 2010 for our first Celebrity cruise, which did NOT include a drink package. Given that it is still possible to find fares equal to or less than what they were charging 10 years ago, it doesn't surprise me at all that they need to make cuts to the MDR menu.

And we found the opposite again: 13 nights on Princess for less than 7 on X. Highlights that you now have to be very vigilant when you’re comparing and considering cruise lines across the board. A long-time X cruiser posted the other day that they had found a Crystal cruise for less than an X sailing, same week and similar itinerary. 

1 minute ago, villauk said:

And we found the opposite again: 13 nights on Princess for less than 7 on X. Highlights that you now have to be very vigilant when you’re comparing and considering cruise lines across the board. A long-time X cruiser posted the other day that they had found a Crystal cruise for less than an X sailing, same week and similar itinerary. 

Interesting. It really does go to show you that you have to look at different ships/lines/classes to know how prices truly compare.

4 minutes ago, basil1 said:

I very rarely eat beef but I always have the tournedo of beef when cruising with Celebrity. I do think the menus need to be changed occasionally but that was one of my favs.

Everytime they change the menu and delete an entree, it will be someone's favorite.  In other words, they can't please everyone.

I love the French onion soup and if they eliminated it, I would be sorely disappointed, but I guess I will just have to find something else to eat.

• Like 1

I remember a time when Celebrity made a number of deletions to save money. Example: They replaced Beef Wellington with "their version: Chicken Wellington. They also replaced Lobster tail and Osso Bucco. There were so many complaints that the items were eventually reintroduced. I notice that the Beef Wellington is now shrinking. With that being said: I never have left the table hungry.

I also remember when Escargot was removed and that was due to a supply issue. So many things can cause changes.

8 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Everytime they change the menu and delete an entree, it will be someone's favorite.  In other words, they can't please everyone.

I love the French onion soup and if they eliminated it, I would be sorely disappointed, but I guess I will just have to find something else to eat.

Very true. I'll be on the Infinity in May maybe I'll get to have it one more time before it's gone.

The original post is very fair commentary from someone with a long history on X and Cruise Critic. 

Raising issues about perceived cutbacks and menu changes are  something others might want to know about.  Today  it may be beef, another day the muesli, tom lobster...all possible topics of interest to some cruisers.

Snarky sarcasm  is not productive.   If the topic  is not of  general interest, it will fade. But I think.it has generated legitimate conversation about current and possible future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wpgcycler said:

lol - try inserting the words "eliminating" and one of "Escargot, Onion Soup or Shrimp Cocktail" in adjacent posts and you'll have a revolution on your hands - and not like the one happening on the Summit.

Your comment came true, another thread opened that Creme Brûlée is gone.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, hcat said:

The original post is very fair commentary from someone with a long history on X and Cruise Critic. 

Raising issues about perceived cutbacks and menu changes are  something others might want to know about.  Today  it may be beef, another day the muesli, tom lobster...all possible topics of interest to some cruisers.

Snarky sarcasm  is not productive.   If the topic  is not of  general interest, it will fade. But I think.it has generated legitimate conversation about current and possible future.

Agree completely.  Contributors often post opinions, observations, impressions, etc.  I expect a discussion to ensue that includes posts that support OP's experience and posts that offer differing viewpoints.  That's why I come to CC.  What is disappointing to me are posts that are critical of the OP.  You can express a differing viewpoint without feeling the need to try to invalidate the OP's.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quo Vadis? said:

What Steak Dianne used to be ... but in Murano

Steak Diane.jpg

On our March 3rd Silhouette cruise we had just finished our 2nd meal in Murano when our waiter, Daniel inquired if we planned to return before the end of the cruise.  We told him we had reservations in Tuscan Grill on the upcoming Tuesday evening. He was quite insistent that we cancel that and come back to Muranos and he would make us a “special” meal! We took him up on it!

He prepared Steak Dianne,  Muranos lobster and Crepe Suzette, all tableside!

Best meal we had on the ship that cruise!

When done correctly, it is delicious!

Edited by CruisersTimesThree