Family's statement on toddler's cruise death

Pauser

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

It's also PLAINLY obvious that the window is not in a "children's play area" like the family and their lawyer keep saying, over and over and over again.  

Yes, there is a children's splash pool, then there is a walkway around the pool area, then there is a row of loungers, then there is a walkway, and then there is another row of tables and chairs, and THEN the obviously opened or closed windows.  

Has the lawyer been interviewed? Where is he saying it over and over again?

15 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Has the lawyer been interviewed? Where is he saying it over and over again?

yes the lawyer has been interviewed several times, yes the family was interviewed on the today show, it is all over the internets.

Back to the banging on the glass 'excuse'....

After looking at the video of Deck 11,  the little girl could have banged all she wanted without being lifted by grandpa since there is solid glass below the panels above that open.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Newleno said:

yes the lawyer has been interviewed several times, yes the family was interviewed on the today show, it is all over the internets.

I know the family was interviewed, but I’m not seeing anything new from the lawyer. Several news agencies had the same initial statement, and then the statement from the parent interview.

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

It's also PLAINLY obvious that the window is not in a "children's play area" like the family and their lawyer keep saying, over and over and over again.  

Yes, there is a children's splash pool, then there is a walkway around the pool area, then there is a row of loungers, then there is a walkway, and then there is another row of tables and chairs, and THEN the obviously opened or closed windows.  

Unfortunately, many of the general public are taking the family and lawyer statements at face value and condemning the cruise line. I’ve seen comments all over the internet say things like It was appalling for RCL to have these open windows in a play area that children could access and the cruise line should be shut down as unsafe. I had a friend who had never seen a picture of the area or been on a cruise ship, say pretty much the same thing. I had to show her

pictures and explain what the grandfather actually did before she changed her mind. Once I did that the grandfather’s actions became appalling rather than the cruise line to her.

Mary Ann

Edited by UFMOM
  • Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:17 PM, AmazedByCruising said:

Everyone has money on their mind for doing their job. A baker isn't making bread because you're hungry. 

The lawyer didn't necessarily convince them that grandpa is not responsible, he told them what he thinks is the best way to keep grandpa out of jail. That's his job. 

My guess is different lawyers for different sorts of cases.  The lawyer trying to file the civil action is likely  not going to be the same one (probably not even in the same firm) as one who will handle any criminal proceedings involving grandpa.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:17 PM, UFMOM said:

The Royal board pretty much squashed any comments made over there. They may not even know about the ongoing thread over here on NCL. They would probably expect it to be on Royal. Also I think it is much more difficult to write about such a horrible event when you are there personally. There is another level of shock to deal with. I imagine that cruise was quite dismal for many people. 

Mary Ann

Not saying that no-one on the NCL boards has ever cruised on Royal Caribbean, but I do find it interesting that the thread is still flourishing here where there is likely only more speculation.

1 minute ago, legaljen1969 said:

Not saying that no-one on the NCL boards has ever cruised on Royal Caribbean, but I do find it interesting that the thread is still flourishing here where there is likely only more speculation.

Yea, you would think it would die by now but people keep bumping it up.     😉

1 minute ago, legaljen1969 said:

My guess is different lawyers for different sorts of cases.  The lawyer trying to file the civil action is likely  not going to be the same one (probably not even in the same firm) as one who will handle any criminal proceedings involving grandpa.

Many pages ago an attorney suggested that blaming the cruise line could be a logical first line of defense for grandpa. Although the lawyer defending grandpa could have sought advice from someone specialized in suing cruise lines. Then again, your screen name suggests you could be right as well :classic_biggrin:

1 minute ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Many pages ago an attorney suggested that blaming the cruise line could be a logical first line of defense for grandpa. Although the lawyer defending grandpa could have sought advice from someone specialized in suing cruise lines. Then again, your screen name suggests you could be right as well :classic_biggrin:

Unless I had experience with both high profile maritime cases and negligence cases AND with criminal law, I would refer one case or the other to another firm dealing with seriousness of the area I didn't practice.    And before anyone gets too bent out of shape, I am not a lawyer but have worked in law firms for many years.   I just think this case will draw too much attention in all arenas for one lawyer to handle it all- maybe even too much for one law firm.

So, with all the arguing over whether Grandpa is liable for negligence, I have to wonder if this is not the same type of action (or lack of action) as the father who left his twins in the car.  The twins father has been charged with "criminal negligent homicide" and "manslaughter" for what his family says was "an accident".  Should the Grandpa of Chloe be charged with the same crimes for his "accident"?  Or does the twins father's family sue Honda?

NY Hot Car Deaths 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2019 at 9:03 AM, UFMOM said:

Unfortunately, many of the general public are taking the family and lawyer statements at face value and condemning the cruise line. I’ve seen comments all over the internet say things like It was appalling for RCL to have these open windows in a play area that children could access and the cruise line should be shut down as unsafe. I had a friend who had never seen a picture of the area or been on a cruise ship, say pretty much the same thing. I had to show her

pictures and explain what the grandfather actually did before she changed her mind. Once I did that the grandfather’s actions became appalling rather than the cruise line to her.

Mary Ann

I agree and that is because we have a "press" in this country that doesn't do its job because its corporate and driven by profits over the truth. Instead of doing even a basic amount of research and presenting both sides of the story they choose to run with the "sensationalist" side of the story with the crying mother because that is what is best for ratings.

Personally, I'm disgusted by the fact that this family hired a lawyer to sue RCCL. I think they are doing in to avoid facing the fact that it was their fault. They are looking for someone, anyone, something else to blame so the blame doesn't land on them. I'm also disgusted by the one-sided story the press keeps playing over and over.

What happened was tragic and an accident. I have no doubt about that. However, it was not RCCL's fault and there is no legal case here.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

So, with all the arguing over whether Grandpa is liable for negligence, I have to wonder if this is not the same type of action (or lack of action) as the father who left his twins in the car.  The twins father has been charged with "criminal negligent homicide" and "manslaughter" for what his family says was "an accident".  Should the Grandpa of Chloe be charged with the same crimes for his "accident"?  Or does the twins father's family sue Honda?

NY Hot Car Deaths 

I don’t think that man should be charged either.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:24 PM, mitsugirly said:

Yea, I was on the other as well before they deleted. The people on that sailing don't post much at all to begin with. I can't imagine being on that cruise because we are always hanging out at the pool deck until sailaway, as a huge crowd usually is as well, and to witness something like that... 😞  Such a sad situation all the way around.

I was just looking at the RCCL forum section and there is not a peep about it over there. Are they literally deleting every single post about it over there?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

What if he "accidentally" dropped his kitchen knife into the child?  Or "accidentally" discharged his firearm and it hit his child?  Or "accidentally" hit his wife in the head with a shovel while walking it through the house?

9 minutes ago, NightOne said:

I was just looking at the RCCL forum section and there is not a peep about it over there. Are they literally deleting every single post about it over there?

Yep, they are actually deleting every post about it.  It's weird.

15 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

What if he "accidentally" dropped his kitchen knife into the child?  Or "accidentally" discharged his firearm and it hit his child?  Or "accidentally" hit his wife in the head with a shovel while walking it through the house?

I don’t see your point. Every year kids die in the back seat of their parents vehicles, tragically. The similarities are chilling in all of the cases. New cars are starting to have warnings. https://www.wral.com/why-do-people-leave-children-in-hot-cars-there-s-science-behind-it-researchers-say/18531313/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Yes, they delete the whole thread. I'm not sure if it got a little too carried away or "ugly" or what happened. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

NY Hot Car Deaths 

Yes, the two circumstances are identical legally.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

So, every time someone has a "brain fart" and kills someone by "accident", they should not have to pay for their actions?  That would seriously alleviate the court backlogs, but it would also result in far more instances of kids dying in sealed cars, because there are no consequences.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 6

38 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, the two circumstances are identical legally.

So, every time someone has a "brain fart" and kills someone by "accident", they should not have to pay for their actions?  That would seriously alleviate the court backlogs, but it would also result in far more instances of kids dying in sealed cars, because there are no consequences.

If someone has a stroke and gets into a car accident, and a child is killed, should they be charged? Did you read any of the articles? This is a real issue that folks should take seriously, and try to prevent. Saying “I could never do that” is dangerous, and not accurate.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:05 AM, Newleno said:

Hmm interesting SPIN, as you know the 99.9 percent comment and the overwhelming majority comment had absolutely nothing to do with charges but yet you post that, interesting indeed.  Please post arguments on merits not made up spin.  Bottom line is the current  evidence is indicating that the little girl is dead due to the negligence of the grandfather.

N/M

On 7/26/2019 at 10:34 AM, graphicguy said:

It’s within inches of the window.  But, even at that, if as the family states, GrandPa put her on the railing to bang on the glass (if there glass were closed), she’d have to really lean forward to do that, prompting a dangerous scenario regardless of the circumstance.

As far as GrandPa apologizing.....I would certainly hope so.  So far, the only thing I’ve read he said was his statement to the police.....that he put the little girl on the railing, lost his grip and she fell.  I’m not certain if it was the family, the lawyer the family hired, or the GrandPa that stated the little girl was put on the rail to bang on the glass (that wasn’t there).

Let’s look at this a slightly different way.  For a moment, let’s just say it was the babysitter who was watching the little girl and who put her on the railing and let her fall?  Would you feel there were liability or criminal charges that should be pursued?  How about it was a family friend who was on the cruise with you?  Would that mean that person shouldn’t be held accountable?

Is the only reason the GrandPa shouldn’t be held accountable because he has some sort of family ties (someone stated he was the “Step” GrandPa, but not sure if that’s true)?

Excellent reasoning ... because a hired au pair/nanny/family friend ... I believe the mob would be screaming for charges to be brought. 

• Like 2