Ovation of the Seas Pax Possibly Injured in Volcanic Eruption

SeaHunt

4 hours ago, BND said:

They set up a number in the US for people in the US.    Do you honestly think that Australia and NZ aren't working it on their end?

As an update, since RCL locally has been so quiet, our foreign minister has just made an announcement that anyone with queries should call our local RCL number - i.e. the same one used for bookings.

Wonder how much help they're going to be in Guatemala when they get these calls...

Nothing even on the web site either. Interesting that a "crisis team" is activated there, yet nothing in Australia/NZ.

• Like 2

I can understand why some would immediately blame the cruise line.

One of the attractions of a cruise is the safety. It is why a lot of older people enjoy them. You join your ship and feel protected from the scourge of everyday life. Cossetted from external influences. you don't even need money. You eat, drink and are waited on.

However when some step off the ship they do not mentally leave that cocoon of protection. This is why there are motorbike accidents, swimming accidents, muggings every day on seemingly paradise islands.

This incredibly unfortunate incident is not the fault of the cruise line unless warnings were at a critical level and they put people in harm's way, which will come out in the wash.

My thoughts are with the injured. I hope they all have a quick recoveries and few lifetime scars. There are also those that will pray to their gods or sky fairies for you. Many around the world are thinking of you

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Twinkd said:

I live in Whakatane and White Island is just of our shores.  I work in the hospital where these poor victims were triaged and treated - my colleagues fought to keep the survivors alive and our small town is reeling!!  I find it really distressing that whilst there are still bodies lying on the island awaiting recovery and critically injured people are fighting for their lives that there are people on here discussing blame!!  Now is not the time for this - now is the time for prayers and hope.  

God Bless You.  I have worked in Critical Care for over 40 years and have worked at least two horrendous disasters. I know the emotional toll the impact has on first responders and on the staff receiving these patients.  Among all the confusion and stress surrounding any disaster the caregivers are often the forgotten ones.  I just want you to know that my prayers and thoughts are not only with the victims and their families, but also with you and your co-workers.  

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

As an update, since RCL locally has been so quiet, our foreign minister has just made an announcement that anyone with queries should call our local RCL number - i.e. the same one used for bookings.

Wonder how much help they're going to be in Guatemala when they get these calls...

Nothing even on the web site either. Interesting that a "crisis team" is activated there, yet nothing in Australia/NZ.

On the RCI F...book page, a post was posted 10 hours ago with contact numbers for Australians and New Zealanders to contact if they have queries about family members who are passengers onboard the Ovation. 

Leigh

• Like 1

They reported on our news that as soon as some are stable enough they will be brought to the major burns units here in Sydney and I would assume Melbourne as well. The hospitals these people are in are inundated.

5 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Not think, know. There was no number announced (or anything else), nor responses to posts on social media here.

Do you honestly think they have the same approach to things in the rest of the world that they do in the US?

Yes there was.

https://www.rclcorporate.com/update-volcano-eruption-white-island-new-zealand/?fbclid=IwAR2EPIBMYBdM_AyLA05HV0Cmh47n-73qMCjnQkOkAdfjjMdWBJKKmd-DSiA

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 7.31.18 pm.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

There seems to be conflicting reports on how many people are missing. The BBC state 47 people were on the Island, but in the same report they provide a link provided by the Red Cross, which indicates many more.

https://familylinks.icrc.org/new-zealand/en/Pages/search-persons.aspx

This list is of people whom families and friends were unable to contact, not necessarily on the excursion to White Island. These families and friends were able to add the names to the website. You may have noticed that there are some names marked with 'I AM ALIVE' in green. These people have notified the Red Cross that they are not missing. Possibly some of the people on board may not realise that they have been listed as missing.

Leigh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

This list is of people whom families and friends were unable to contact, not necessarily on the excursion to White Island. These families and friends were able to add the names to the website. You may have noticed that there are some names marked with 'I AM ALIVE' in green. These people have notified the Red Cross that they are not missing. Possibly some of the people on board may not realise that they have been listed as missing.

Leigh

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks Leigh.

55 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Surely there would have to be an investigation by police before criminal proceedings could be launched?

Leigh

Further to my above post - NZ Police Deputy Commissioner has announced that there is not a criminal investigation being conducted.

"WorkSafe New Zealand has opened a health and safety investigation into the harm and loss of life caused by the eruption. As information comes to hand, we’ll provide updates

to everyone.”

The Police backed away from an earlier announcement that the probe was a criminal investigation, saying instead it was being carried out on behalf of the coroner.

Leigh

3 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

RCL have a post on Facebook and have an announcement on their website with the phone numbers to contact.  They're numbers that have been specifically set up for this tragedy.  I've also seen the number for Australians to contact posted on other sites.

Edited by Poochie71
Left word out

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

On the RCI F...book page, a post was posted 10 hours ago with contact numbers for Australians and New Zealanders to contact if they have queries about family members who are passengers onboard the Ovation. 

Leigh

So it's finally put up a day after it happened. Not a great response to a major issue.

3 hours ago, stephiems said:

I was referring to a post on the Australian sites where there wasn't, not the RCL headquarters site in the US.

It was already established that their US crisis team had sent an update out and a dedicated number yesterday for it for the US audience, so their action there has been far more prompt. Whereas it took them to day 2 to post that here in Australia/NZ.

2 hours ago, Poochie71 said:

RCL have a post on Facebook and have an announcement on their website with the phone numbers to contact.  They're numbers that have been specifically set up for this tragedy.  I've also seen the number for Australians to contact posted on other sites.

They announced that today. For the whole of yesterday when the eruption happened, no announcements were made, and no responses were given on social media.

In the press conference early Tuesday am (NZ time) the Prime Minister did say they were getting lots of support from the Cruise Line.  So before we judge, maybe in the background they were working with those effected.  It is just us at home wondering why things were not posted publicly.

10 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Clause 5 from the cruise contract:

"5. SHORE EXCURSIONS, TOURS, FACILITIES OR OTHER TRANSPORTATION: All arrangements made for or by Passenger for transportation (other than on the Vessel) before, during or after the Cruise or CruiseTour of any kind whatsoever, as well as air arrangements, shore excursions, tours, hotels, restaurants, attractions and other similar activities or services, including all related conveyances, products or facilities, are made solely for Passenger's convenience and are at Passenger's risk. The providers, owners and operators of such services, conveyances, products and facilities are independent contractors and are not acting as agents or representatives of Carrier. Even though Carrier may collect a fee for, or otherwise profit from, making such arrangements and offers for sale shore excursions, tours, hotels, restaurants, attractions, the Land Tour and other similar activities or services taking place off the Vessel for a profit, it does not undertake to supervise or control such independent contractors or their employees, nor maintain their conveyances or facilities, and makes no representation, whether express or implied, regarding their suitability or safety. In no event shall Carrier be liable for any loss, delay, disappointment, damage, injury, death or other harm whatsoever to Passenger which occurs on or off the Vessel or the Transport as a result of any acts, omissions or negligence of any independent contractors."

Any lawyer would tell you that just because a piece of paper says something, does not make it true.  Waivers do not always hold up in court.  I was a juror once in a case where this happened.  

• Like 1

• Clarea locked this topic
  • LauraS unlocked this topic

Update - Ovation of the Sea & White Island Volcano - Warnings had been issued. Yet private tour operators say it didn't pass their threshold for danger. It would appear from the RCI site, that the Ovation of the Seas did not offer White Island as a tour. 

https://securelytravel.com/travel/update-ovation-of-the-sea-white-island-volcano-warnings-had-been-issued/

12 minutes ago, Woodinville said:

Update - Ovation of the Sea & White Island Volcano - Warnings had been issued. Yet private tour operators say it didn't pass their threshold for danger. It would appear from the RCI site, that the Ovation of the Seas did not offer White Island as a tour. 

https://securelytravel.com/travel/update-ovation-of-the-sea-white-island-volcano-warnings-had-been-issued/

Which per the article and RCI excursions link embedded within, if I am interpreting this correctly and it is accurate, would mean that those who went on the tour did so as an independent tour and not as a tour sponsored through RCI. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Woodinville said:

12 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Which per the article and RCI excursions link embedded within, if I am interpreting this correctly and it is accurate, would mean that those who went on the tour did so as an independent tour and not as a tour sponsored through RCI. 

I believe that Royal pulled their link.  Someone posted a while ago  an archived link that showed them offering the tour.