Cancelling 10 days out

6 hours ago, dssking said:

As he said earlier......some may not agree.  However, my spin on this it's VERY similar to the flu.  Same mortality rate.  It's media propaganda.  It's like the news - watch it and then formulate your own opinion.  

Nowhere NEAR the same mortality rate.  Try reading reliable reports, like WHO.  Stop watching FauxNews.

• Like 2

Actually from reading the the Who reports for any one under 50 with no underlying health issues the mortality rate is much closer to the flue.

It is a lot higher though for those over 50 and that is why the average is around 3.5%

There's a big difference of probability of a healthy younger person being seriously impacted by the virus.

Also out of the WHO they are starting up with follow on studies. For instance they have found that people who had direct contact with an infected person (not carers) only 1-2% of those people where infected by the virus.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heymarco said:

I wouldn’t cancel a cruise at this point. You could catch it at the super market in 10 days because you were there instead of on the ship. You never know, life’s too short!

Absolutely agree with that,we are due to fly out for a break for my Birthday in 2 weeks & are more concerned about missing out on the break than catching something!

11 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Can always just go to the cruise terminal and tell them you're not feeling well.......fake a cough, tell them you have a sore throat....and wear extra clothes so you're hot and sweaty.....bingo, instant refund. 

You are joking I hope😕

7 hours ago, b_cruise said:

I read in one of the cruise boards the family got to the port, the Toddler had  a fever ( denied boarding) and only provided 1 future cruise credit . The family is fighting with the cruise line. It could even be royal- not sure what line I read this in 

I

I would not cruise at this point with a very young child or a very old person or with anyone who is immunosupprest. 

Edited by blueridgemama

Scheduled on Independence May 21st, only way I would not go is if RCL cancels since at this point I would lose all $. My only fear is that since this is my first solo cruise, if ship is quarantined I would be alone in the cabin so extra books will be loaded on my Kindle!  Trying to figure out how to stock up on extra drinks, maybe bring a plastic container? Yes I have the drink package.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Now that they are checking temperature of all passengers there is even less chance you will catch the virus on your cruise. 

Thermometer guns are notoriously unreliable...

https://www.businessinsider.com/thermometer-guns-screening-for-coronavirus-notoriously-not-accurate-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’m not so sure about that.  I view it more of a feel good measure that pits on a front like “look at all the extra precautions we are taking” when knowing that in reality carriers are asymptomatic for long period of time which is the real risk.  In realty there are most likely very few people who are actually trying to board with a known fever and this’d that are willing to board with a fever will resort to other measures to mask the fever so they can still travel.  

At the end end of the day I think this new measure will do little to stop the spread of this virus. 

Agree with you.  Asymptomatic carriers are always the greatest risk plus with this virus, the majority showing symptoms seem to only have “mild” symptoms so they in effect, may only have a low grade fever or none at all.  Or masking it with medication.  

I think the virus has been in this country for 6 or more weeks and is more widespread than officials think but fortunately, for many it is mild.  Most cases don’t get tested and reported.

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

I

I would not cruise at this point with a very young child or a very old person or with anyone who is immunosupprest. 

Young kids aren't really affected by Covid-19. It's only really fatal in the elderly or people with weakened immune systems

10 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

If you show up and are denied boarding it's a FCC. 

If it is decided that we must unfortunately deny you boarding, you’ll receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any precruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment.

And, if for any reason, you happen to have a fever before your cruise, we kindly ask you to not come to the port. Please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately and we will happily provide you with a credit for future travel.

You are wrong. As per Royal's website.....

2.  Mandatory, specialized health screenings will be performed on:

a. Any person who reports feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptoms.

b. Any guest who has travelled from, to, or through Japan or Thailand in the past 15 days.

c. Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Thailand, and Italy in the past 15 days.

d. Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding.

All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

12 hours ago, Heymarco said:

I wouldn’t cancel a cruise at this point. You could catch it at the super market in 10 days because you were there instead of on the ship. You never know, life’s too short!

The difference is I would rather be sick at home where there are better medical facilities. Being quarantined on a cruise ship for 14 days with subpar medical supplies is not my idea of a vacation. There is also the risk of having to be stuck in a foreign hospital or army barracks depending on where you travel. The virus is the least of the issue for  me.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Nope. That's how stupid the cruise lines are being right now. If you want a refund you have to play their game. 

Really?  The cruise line is "stupid?"  "They're game?"  So you would prefer that if you show up and are denied boarding for being ill that you simply lose 100% of your cruise fare?  Brilliant.  

The cruise iines doing the best they can to contain a tough situation that they bear ZERO responsibility for.  So you think that their policy of FCC or refunds if denied boarding for an illness is "stupid."    What IS stupid is to travel all the way to the cruise port, stand in line,  in a crowd, to lie to the check in people and end up getting quarantined for two weeks and potentially causing a major issue at the port.  Oh yeah, and when you insist you were just lying to get you money back, facing that potential problem.  Yeah...your idea...."smart." 😏

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

You are wrong. As per Royal's website.....

2.  Mandatory, specialized health screenings will be performed on:

a. Any person who reports feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptoms.

b. Any guest who has travelled from, to, or through Japan or Thailand in the past 15 days.

c. Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Thailand, and Italy in the past 15 days.

d. Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding.

All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

Not sure how you can say the person that you quoted was wrong as they quoted something also from royal.

there is a lot of confusion and misinformation by Royal as they have been using the term refund vs FCC interchangably in some cases.  Your actual outcome f you are in this situation will no doubt depend on who you end up talking to and how much you push the issue however there has already been one confirmed report that it was indeed a FCC that was issued.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Young kids aren't really affected by Covid-19. It's only really fatal in the elderly or people with weakened immune systems

Why take the chance? Babies and toddlers are forever putting their hands in their mouths and are crawling around on pool decks and floors. 

18 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

Why take the chance? Babies and toddlers are forever putting their hands in their mouths and are crawling around on pool decks and floors. 

What chance? Kids are exposed just as much as adults and maybe more so due to the nature of being a baby and toddler.....they're not being affected by it though. Fact. I'd be wayyyyyy more concerned about people over 80....death rate is pretty high for that demographic.

20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not sure how you can say the person that you quoted was wrong as they quoted something also from royal.

there is a lot of confusion and misinformation by Royal as they have been using the term refund vs FCC interchangably in some cases.  Your actual outcome f you are in this situation will no doubt depend on who you end up talking to and how much you push the issue however there has already been one confirmed report that it was indeed a FCC that was issued.

New vs old info.

2 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

Scheduled on Independence May 21st, only way I would not go is if RCL cancels since at this point I would lose all $. My only fear is that since this is my first solo cruise, if ship is quarantined I would be alone in the cabin so extra books will be loaded on my Kindle!  Trying to figure out how to stock up on extra drinks, maybe bring a plastic container? Yes I have the drink package.

Would the drink package continue during a quarantine period?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Really?  The cruise line is "stupid?"  "They're game?"  So you would prefer that if you show up and are denied boarding for being ill that you simply lose 100% of your cruise fare?  Brilliant.  

The cruise iines doing the best they can to contain a tough situation that they bear ZERO responsibility for.  So you think that their policy of FCC or refunds if denied boarding for an illness is "stupid."    What IS stupid is to travel all the way to the cruise port, stand in line,  in a crowd, to lie to the check in people and end up getting quarantined for two weeks and potentially causing a major issue at the port.  Oh yeah, and when you insist you were just lying to get you money back, facing that potential problem.  Yeah...your idea...."smart." 😏

Yup, they're playing games. I'd much rather have a full refund than an FCC. I'd like to keep my money in my own pockets thank you very much. I mean, if the cruiselines have to raise prices to make up for the shortfalls in the coming months or years you may not feel that cruising is a good value anymore.....but they still have your money and you only have an FCC so either pay more or lose your initial fees. 

Please read my posts again because you seem a tad confused about my stance. My stance is that the cruiselines should be issuing full refunds for all who want to cancel or have their cruises cancelled by Royal (or any other cruiseline). Bottom line. 

9 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

What chance? Kids are exposed just as much as adults and maybe more so due to the nature of being a baby and toddler.....they're not being affected by it though. Fact. I'd be wayyyyyy more concerned about people over 80....death rate is pretty high for that demographic.

Obviously we are at different view points about protecting our babies and young children from the possibility of contracting an illness that not a lot is known about.

3 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

New vs old info.

Last night there were several cc members discussing emails they received from rcl.  Basically said if you have a fever do Not show up at the terminal.  Call and they will process a FCC 

Basically this is giving everyone an out to simply call the day before or day of their cruise to call and say they have fever or other symptoms and they will get a fcc.

If you show up at terminal and denied boarding you will get full refund.

Good to hear they dont want people showing up that may have flu or virus and stand in line with everyone else.

I think offering a fcc is a great business move on their part.

So if you truly dont want to go now stay home and call and get fcc instead of cancelling and losing $$$$.

I am sure their phone lines will be very busy with this new option.  It is not posted on their website only emailed so far.