P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

There was a doctor on the telly this morning saying about immune suppressed people getting a 4th jab.Making the present booster a 3rd normal jab and the 4th the booster.Clear as mud to me but if it helps so be it.

It’s correct. Severely immunosuppressed people (several of us on here) very frequently don’t get much, sometimes any, immunity from the vaccines. We’ve been offered three primary doses so far, and the fourth (booster) jab which was to have been 6 months from jab 3 is now available after 3 months.

It’s still unclear whether any of them will provide proper protection but research is being undertaken.

This very sad story relates to one such person who had been double jabbed but believed the erroneous government advice that she could stop shielding:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/07/michele-brown-was-vaccinated-but-had-a-suppressed-immune-system-would-better-health-advice-have-saved-her

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

There was a doctor on the telly this morning saying about immune suppressed people getting a 4th jab.Making the present booster a 3rd normal jab and the 4th the booster.Clear as mud to me but if it helps so be it.

My daughter had treatment for her MS last week,  which compromises her immune system,  and as the cases of covid in the school where she works are rising at an alarming rate has got her doctor to sign her off work. It is a grey area as shielding is no longer required if double vaccinated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Elder granddaughter has tested +ve for Covid.  Only symptom is a mild sore throat.  Hopefully that’s all she’ll get.  I wonder about the rest of the house though ... and the effect on their Xmas plans.  Ho hum

Walked with the group this morning and then enjoyed Xmas lunch (with crackers) with them.  Everyone did their lft this morning, so hopefully no repercussions of the viral kind.  We we’re fairly abstemious, so I don’t think there will be repercussions of the headachey kind either

Hope your granddaughter only has mild symptoms.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, purplesea said:

My daughter had treatment for her MS last week,  which compromises her immune system,  and as the cases of covid in the school where she works are rising at an alarming rate has got her doctor to sign her off work. It is a grey area as shielding is no longer required if double vaccinated. 

I wish Harry,your daughter and all others in this situation the very best.It seems they are hopefully making inroads with treatment.Brian.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I wish Harry,your daughter and all others in this situation the very best.It seems they are hopefully making inroads with treatment.Brian.

Thanks.  There are some real bright spots now in terms both of antiviral treatments and direct injection of antibodies. T cells also come into the equation, but the knowledge here is still pretty sketchy.

Meanwhile, the government has at least acknowledged that the problem exists, but that took a rigorous campaign by various charities against an apparently deaf Health Secretary.  I think ministers were all too busy partying at the time.

• Like 4

Just watched "The Harder They Fall " a Netflix western with Idris Elba.  Great film, fantastic soundtrack with some good reggae tunes, and the first time I  have heard the  term " nincompoop " in a western  movie. 

Thoroughly recommended!  

PS My wife hated it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just watched "The Harder They Fall " a Netflix western with Idris Elba.  Great film, fantastic soundtrack with some good reggae tunes, and the first time I  have heard the  term " nincompoop " in a western  movie. 

Thoroughly recommended!  

PS My wife hated it.

I have a vision of John Wayne saying "fill your hands you nincompoops".

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I have a vision of John Wayne saying "fill your hands you nincompoops".

Or Clint as Dirty Harry ...

"You've got to ask yourself a question: 'do I feel lucky?"...........

Well, do ya, nincompoops?":classic_unsure:

• Haha 8

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thoroughly recommended!  

PS My wife hated it.

Might try that, although reviews must be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Haha 2

Technology playing up again.  I can’t post from my iPad but no problems on my phone - except it’s way too fiddly to spend much time.

Not a bad day for mid-December.  Dry, cool, not a lot of wind.  We had a nice walk for most of the morning, including 40 minutes in the pub with a restorative hot chocolate 

My Covid-hit granddaughter is ok, though tired and listless.  The 40something next generation down in our family have all got their boosters organised for the next couple of weeks.  Just wish the children could be protected

• Like 7

Hello all. Thank you @kalosfor missing me! It’s been so long I don’t know what to say! Just thought I’d show my face, my parents are doing ok but still quite a worry. 
Im changing my day off next week from Wednesdays to Tuesdays as DiL has changed her job and it fits better for my Nanny duties. So I’ll be confused next week!

Hope everyone is well.

• Like 15

1 minute ago, P&O SUE said:

Hello all. Thank you @kalosfor missing me! It’s been so long I don’t know what to say! Just thought I’d show my face, my parents are doing ok but still quite a worry. 
Im changing my day off next week from Wednesdays to Tuesdays as DiL has changed her job and it fits better for my Nanny duties. So I’ll be confused next week!

Hope everyone is well.

Glad to hear all is well with your parents and yourself ,nice to hear from you again .

Keep smiling and stay safe :classic_smile:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Hope everyone is well.

Lovely to hear from you Sue and in particular that you are all well.

Graham.

• Like 2

Been a very dull and dreary day today. The wind is getting up now and has already blown the wheelie bin over. It was bin day today so it's empty.

It's my granddaughter's 21st birthday, but as she's at uni in York will have a celebration when she comes down for Christmas.

Hope everyone has had a good day and stayed safe.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Been a very dull and dreary day today. The wind is getting up now and has already blown the wheelie bin over. It was bin day today so it's empty.

It's my granddaughter's 21st birthday, but as she's at uni in York will have a celebration when she comes down for Christmas.

Happy 21st birthday for your granddaughter Purplesea.

Screenshot_20211206_183417.jpg

• Like 3

Yesterday we reluctantly transferred from our QM2 Jan 14th cruise to one later next year. We did this before the Cunard 31 day deadline to do so by next Tuesday. We reached our tipping point this week of excitement looking forward to the cruise being out balanced by uncertainty, doubt and concern unfortunately.

We are normally very optimistic, nothing can stop us type travellers but everyone has their level of concern over enjoyment and we were starting to not look forward to it.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Yesterday we reluctantly transferred from our QM2 Jan 14th cruise to one later next year. We did this before the Cunard 31 day deadline to do so by next Tuesday. We reached our tipping point this week of excitement looking forward to the cruise being out balanced by uncertainty, doubt and concern unfortunately.

We are normally very optimistic, nothing can stop us type travellers but everyone has their level of concern over enjoyment and we were starting to not look forward to it.

We all look at this situation differently and there's no right or wrong. Personally, I'm glad that my next cruise now isn't until next Summer.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

Perhaps you can soon pop over to the city of Marazion.😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We Face Timed our friends today, and to our surprise they are still going ahead  with their QM2 cruise. They leave on Monday, from Southampton to New York, to the Caribbean, then back to New York and Southampton. 

They haven’t been out and about very much since we came out of the lockdowns and have been very cautious, so a month long cruise seems a big step.

They seem to be looking forward to it - but they don’t go on forums or social media, so they aren’t aware of the potential pitfalls. I didn’t say anything to spoil their anticipation, but I’ll be looking out for news of this cruise, as a lot can happen in a month.

i don’t blame you for transferring, I would do the same, for the same reasons as you. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thoroughly recommended!  

PS My wife hated it.

We watched it earlier, I wouldn't call it great but didn't hate it either, another so so low budget film. We did watch Die Hard yesterday, now that is a great film.