P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I think supper for the cooked evening meal is fairly widespread now, certainly round here, and where my kids live, which is far north and far south.

I think it is due to the fact that we are all getting more casual nowadays, and inviting people for a 'kitchen supper' is popular, mainly because it can be almost impromptu and casual, often just a casserole and cheese or pudding.  I prefer it to  having to doll up the dining room and thinking of a proper three course menu - just lazy I guess.  If we are on our own, like now, we usually eat at 6 and I am afraid tend to watch the TV (small one in kitchen) and if I have my way it is Richard Osman's House of Games at present.   I hate to say it, but the phrase became well known when it seemed the Camerons used to have 'kitchen sups' with the likes of the Goves a few years ago in No.10.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Supper to our Canadian relatives always refers to their evening meal, I guess there are many areas in this country where this N American terminology has become the norm.

That's interesting.  I lived there for 2 years and still have many friends over there.  They always call it dinner!

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

My Tesco order arrived this morning with one substitution, no small Toastie so they gave me a large one for the same price. So tempting with lots of butter 😱 Still no chance of vitamin D supplement though. I will have to order that direct from Lloyds or try for some when I call in for my repeat prescription in 4 weeks time.

Argh! that bl***y black cat has copied the black and white one. I will win, I have opposable thumbs and am bigger than them ,, maybe a half brick following a ballistic trajectory 😈 no, I am not that cruel and even turn down the edges of the chicken wire so they don't impale their little paws

We can't be cruel to animals. We even put warm water in the supersoaker.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

You will never never never defeat a cat.🐈

Well it gives me something to do, must order some more chicken wire and or a small yappy robot dog, or a six foot tall sparrow 😈 Welcome to Stalag Luft Kitty

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We go to our local Morrisons. No problems at all.

We haven't been around a supermarket for over 14months . Our deliveries from Morrisons very rarely have things missing and was pleased to see we had a little extra this morning .:classic_smile:

20210106_160753.thumb.jpg.819257454a6915baf4476c2ce58737da.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I’ve just had a Sainsbury’s delivery and 6 items were not available or substituted and the driver confirmed there are lots of items sold out. He said he can see it’s a lockdown from his deliveries but not from the amount of traffic on the roads 🤔

Perhaps just issues in some areas then with stock. Hopefully a temporary situation.

The roads here are very quiet, back almost to last March levels. The roads are white though and that always puts people off driving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I spent considerable time researching how various invaders had affected the Yorkshire dialect and have several books. Some of the strange names of our towns and villages were created by Vikings.

image.png.67297f36244617f9f6c4a6c1a4f121f6.png

Does that mean you've got more IKEAs than us.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm fascinated  by your welsh language. Some you can work out,  Brecwast, Te,  Swper but not others. Our island is an interesting melting pot of languages and dialects from different invaders over time and you can see how certain words are pronouned similarly yet spelled differently. To me it's an interesting subject, sorry if I've bored you🥱

Avril

Funny you should say that sis.Cena is dinner in Italian and originates from Roman Latin.It means main meal.so in those days it was lunch but then progressed to evening meals.May be the confusion of dinner being at lunchtime or evenings with our Roman heritage.Bro.

• Like 2

Went shopping to Booths for my mum this morning, it was very quiet and everyone been careful around each other. Roads around here seem to be much busier than in first lockdown. Marks and Spencers food hall have put a plastic tunnel outside for people to queue in. And some good news my mum has just been called for her vaccine, she is 86, so that’s a bit of a worry off my mind 

Michelle 

• Like 13

I have just been surfing the news channels and amazed at the number of people demonstrating against lockdown and then complaining when they have been arrested. The mentality of some people astounds me, especially on the day when the death rate has gone above 1000.

• Like 17

45 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Well it gives me something to do, must order some more chicken wire and or a small yappy robot dog, or a six foot tall sparrow 😈 Welcome to Stalag Luft Kitty

You have to wear a cat suit and wee up the fence every night.That'll scare the life out of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Walked past Aldi this afternoon.  Queues again.  Not as long as Lockdown 1.0 though.

Snap,Aldi Upminster today,but the difference was it was half empty.Streets round here are not as busy as they were.Perhaps they are taking heed.

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Met some older neighbours today who said our surgery has been told to expect vaccines on 11th and that they will be among the first to be called 🤞

That’s good news.
Older residents round here getting anxious as no one been called for vaccine and surgery giving out no info. We have quite a few very active 85+ who just want to get on with enjoying life.

If only surgeries could post info on their door, website or Facebook - but maybe they have no idea of when they can start.......🙄

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

That’s good news.
Older residents round here getting anxious as no one been called for vaccine and surgery giving out no info. We have quite a few very active 85+ who just want to get on with enjoying life.

If only surgeries could post info on their door, website or Facebook - but maybe they have no idea of when they can start.......🙄

I do hope that once vaccinated they dont attempt to get on with life as they did before covid.  We will all need to continue to follow the covid precautions until the lockdown rules are relaxed by the govt.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I do hope that once vaccinated they dont attempt to get on with life as they did before covid.  We will all need to continue to follow the covid precautions until the lockdown rules are relaxed by the govt.

So do I.

I even heard a conservative mp in parliament today ask if lockdown restrictions could lifted for those that have had the vaccine......

He was told NO...!!

• Like 6

Watching the evening news .... 

I've seen that someone wants to bring back the Thursday clap . Seems a bit odd when the nurses & doctors have pleaded with us to stay indoors, yet they saw people roaming the streets etc .Now me I would do anything to ease their workload  but I think most would look at a doorstep clap now as meaningless.
Fear not though for I have a cunning plan !  How about the NHS staff & carers get the £10K pay rise and the MPs get the clap?  I'm not bothered which clap the MP's get as the good news is the NHS do treat the other clap as well. :classic_unsure:

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Purdey16 said:

Well I managed to get a photo before other half started his dinner, I do have to apologise to all Yorkshire folk of my frozen aunt Bessie puds they even didn’t rise to the occasion, but as you can see he cleared his plate 

17D1B5CF-06BE-4832-A405-7B1C80784822.jpeg

B6E4E72F-7037-4072-BEA8-42FC604AA641.jpeg

Fear not, as a Yorkie I much prefer Aunt Bessies puds rather than having to mix my own batter, and the kitchen doesn't need any deep cleaning afterwards either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

We haven't been around a supermarket for over 14months . Our deliveries from Morrisons very rarely have things missing and was pleased to see we had a little extra this morning .:classic_smile:

20210106_160753.thumb.jpg.819257454a6915baf4476c2ce58737da.jpg

We received the same with our Morrisons delivery last night 🙂 

• Like 1