Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

37 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Mimi- I do remember Nedck’s ! I think there was one

near Macy’s on the corner of 34th Street. Their orange drink was yummy !

Marietta- You mentioned Loft’s candy stores. One of my great Aunts lived with us and my Mom would occasionally  invite some of her friends to our house for lunch. They would always bring my Mom a box of Loft’s chocolate and me some kind of novelty gift from Loft’s. 

Thanks for the memories,ladies!

MJ🙋🏻

The Nedicks that I went to was the one on 34 St.near Macy’s.When I was in HS I had a Saturday job in G&G Ladies Specialty store on 34 St.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, HBE4 said:

So, to mash-up two very hot topics of late - Christmas Music and old TV shows - as I was driving home, I heard a fantastic rendition of Silent Night, which seems to be most people's favorite Christmas tune.  I glance down the XM radio to see who was singing it and it was Jim Nabors! Jim "Gomer Pyle" Nabors!!  Jim "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise" Nabors!!!  Well, Golly Sarge, I guess I never knew how great of a singer he was. I was never a huge fan of The Andy Griffrin Show" or "Gomer Pyle" but I saw some episodes here and there. Never remember him singing in any of them.

Anyways, down the rabbit hole I went and came across him singing "The Impossible Dream" from an episode of "Gomer Pyle".  

A much older Jim Nabors singing "Silent Night".

I met Jim Nabors when he was the star on Norway. Watching him onstage was wonderful, interacting with an elderly nun, cracking jokes and finally singing… he was fantastic. 
The next day on the private island, he stopped me when I walked by and invited me to sit and chat. 
Of course, I did. He introduced me to his friends and talked about his macadamias in Hawaii. 
He was still waiting for his first big crop. 
That encounter was just wonderful. 
Nice guy, great singer!

• Like 11

Today I went to Ross.  I love this store.  They were very very busy and inventory is over flowing.  I got a lot of christmas presents, left with several bags after standing in a very long line.  Only 3 cashiers working, such a shame that so many places are struggling to get workers.

I dont understand where the people that used to work these jobs are at, I thought all the extra unemployment, etc was over.

• Like 4

Have been getting a lot of pictures of the grandkids enjoying their day in Pittsburgh. Ice skating, and lots of pictures with Christmas themed displays. 

Another Christmas theme lego set showed up at our door this morning.  Susan says this is supposed to be for next Christmas to add to the sets, but my guess is grandson will want to put it together the next time he is here. 

67BAB8CB-4C26-49CC-AE21-0A5EFA907920.thumb.jpeg.5b0813a4aae3cd196fce2883995d0958.jpeg

Last night’s shrimp and spiral zucchini was so good, we did a repeat tonight.  I love this dish with butter, garlic and Parmesan. 

ADED4EC8-E8BC-4187-8156-E671871C9C59.thumb.jpeg.2473487208df3236ec933617030443d5.jpeg

And speaking of Christmas movies, It’s a Wonderful Life is on tonight, so we are currently watching it for the ???? time. 

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Have been getting a lot of pictures of the grandkids enjoying their day in Pittsburgh. Ice skating, and lots of pictures with Christmas themed displays. 

Another Christmas theme lego set showed up at our door this morning.  Susan says this is supposed to be for next Christmas to add to the sets, but my guess is grandson will want to put it together the next time he is here. 

67BAB8CB-4C26-49CC-AE21-0A5EFA907920.thumb.jpeg.5b0813a4aae3cd196fce2883995d0958.jpeg

Last night’s shrimp and spiral zucchini was so good, we did a repeat tonight.  I love this dish with butter, garlic and Parmesan. 

ADED4EC8-E8BC-4187-8156-E671871C9C59.thumb.jpeg.2473487208df3236ec933617030443d5.jpeg

And speaking of Christmas movies, It’s a Wonderful Life is on tonight, so we are currently watching it for the ???? time. 

Of course😀

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The 60 minutes piece on Tony battling Alzheimer's and Lady Gaga's role in his 95 year old birthday concert is very moving.  It's amazing that he can barely remember who he is sometimes but start playing one of the classics on a piano and he just turns on and lights up.  His voice is still incredible at 95.  Their duets are fantastic.  Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease.

Their duet album is up for 5 Grammys, including Best Album, Best Song among others.

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I am glad you mentioned them.  I forgot that I saw an ad for MTV Unplugged: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga.  It is on December 16 at 9pm on MTV.  I just set it to record.  Thanks for the reminder.

I get lost in their music.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Today I went to Ross.  I love this store.  They were very very busy and inventory is over flowing.  I got a lot of christmas presents, left with several bags after standing in a very long line.  Only 3 cashiers working, such a shame that so many places are struggling to get workers.

I dont understand where the people that used to work these jobs are at, I thought all the extra unemployment, etc was over.

I've bought lots of house stuff at Ross.  Great prices on those thin felt "Joy"  like hangers, picture frames, art work, bedding not to mention their shoes!

I also notice a lack of cashiers, clerks in some stores. 😒

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

For years my parents thought I was allergic to the Lofts candy.  We always had it for holidays and little by little my reactions were worse.  Turns out it was the tree nuts not the candy!  

I remember Barton's and Barricini candy stores.  Great candy. 

I used to love the Christmas candy they gave out at holiday parties in school.  Hard candies with a thin coating of powdered sugar.  Came in a tin.  Each candy a different color.

Old Fashioned Christmas Candy - 1 pound

The best, however, was the chocolate Chanukah gold foil wrapped coins.  I mean, after all, it's hard to compete with chocolate, the ultimate sweet treat!

Hanukkah Gelt - Hanukkah Food and Gift

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The 60 minutes piece on Tony battling Alzheimer's and Lady Gaga's role in his 95 year old birthday concert is very moving.  It's amazing that he can barely remember who he is sometimes but start playing one of the classics on a piano and he just turns on and lights up.  His voice is still incredible at 95.  Their duets are fantastic.  Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease.

Love the Tony and Lady Gaga performances. 

Yes Alzheimers is a very terrible disease.  We recently lost a great family friend to it, 65 years young.  A previously vicarious individual who worked in NYC and helped at the pit at the World Trade Center after 9/11.  He did have a family history, but they are now also finding an uptick of those who worked at the WTC succumbing to Alzheimers.  The last few years of his life, if you can call it that, were more like having an infant.  Never realized until I saw it how debilitating it can be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

There is still the child credit money each month.  Plus, regular unemployment.  I think some states have other "free money" programs too.  

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I thought it was excellent. The love and respect that Lady Gaga has for Tony the legend is awesome. I am so glad that they got to work together. I too was amazed at his ability to remember lyrics. Must see TV.

• Like 5

akcruz- I was saddened to read of your friend’s passing from Alzheimer’s at such a young age. It is a cruel disease and has been termed a disease that is a long goodbye as the person slowly losses who they are in stages.

My Dad was diagnosed when he was 68 and passed away five years later . My mother cared for him at home  with my help and help from a very kind aide. 

He passed away on Dec29,1980. Time has helped heal his loss and life moves on, of course. Still, there are times that I still miss him. For a good while, Christmastime was a difficult time for me. Fortunately, others came into my life with love and caring. I slowly regained the Christmas spirit because of them.

I have been reading on this forum about Christmas music. After Dad

passed, I found it difficult to listen to much of it, choosing upbeat songs like Rocking Around the Christmas Tree etc. Silent Night still can bring tears to my eyes.

I was very fortunate to have a caring and loving Dad. He was someone who shared his heart and good fortune gladly. 

For all here who are enjoying Hanukkah or Christmas celebrations today, I wish you a lovely time.

My DH and I plan to do some decorating inside the house today. Tomorrow night, we are joining friends for a drive- thru light show and we expect company on Thursday. And so it goes....

Hoping everyone has a day where they are feeling safe and loved-

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

akcruz- I was saddened to read of your friend’s passing from Alzheimer’s at such a young age. It is a cruel disease and has been termed a disease that is a long goodbye as the person slowly losses who they are in stages.

My Dad was diagnosed when he was 68 and passed away five years later . My mother cared for him at home  with my help and help from a very kind aide. 

He passed away on Dec29,1980. Time has helped heal his loss and life moves on, of course. Still, there are times that I still miss him. For a good while, Christmastime was a difficult time for me. Fortunately, others came into my life with love and caring. I slowly regained the Christmas spirit because of them.

I have been reading on this forum about Christmas music. After Dad

passed, I found it difficult to listen to much of it, choosing upbeat songs like Rocking Around the Christmas Tree etc. Silent Night still can bring tears to my eyes.

I was very fortunate to have a caring and loving Dad. He was someone who shared his heart and good fortune gladly. 

For all here who are enjoying Hanukkah or Christmas celebrations today, I wish you a lovely time.

My DH and I plan to do some decorating inside the house today. Tomorrow night, we are joining friends for a drive- thru light show and we expect company on Thursday. And so it goes....

MJ🙋🏻

(((((((((((((((((MJ))))))))))))))))))  Hugs to you!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Charlie’s sister has it.  She is now on a feeding tube,doesn’t know anyone.  It is sad as she was the feisty one in their family.

15 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Found in a stocking52F60A16-F5D3-45BA-85CA-474E1E66773B.thumb.jpeg.af146dbedfd53acad81c74a7430952f9.jpeg

Adorable!❤️

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I love Ross.  We don't have any here.  I have to wait until I get to Florida to shop there.😉

15 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Another Christmas theme lego set showed up at our door this morning.  

Tis the Season, Mark!  I'll also be taking pictures today..our youngest grandson, William, will be marching in our towns'  Christmas Parade;  then everyone will come to our house for dinner, and the kids will decorate their gingerbread houses.

What a great tradition your family has started with the Christmas Lego sets.🎄

14 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I remember Barton's and Barricini candy stores.  Great candy. 

I used to love the Christmas candy they gave out at holiday parties in school.  Hard candies with a thin coating of powdered sugar.  Came in a tin.  Each candy a different color.

Old Fashioned Christmas Candy - 1 pound

The best, however, was the chocolate Chanukah gold foil wrapped coins.  I mean, after all, it's hard to compete with chocolate, the ultimate sweet treat!

Hanukkah Gelt - Hanukkah Food and Gift

Oh yes, Bonnie!  Great childhood memories of our holiday candies!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

For a good while, Christmastime was a difficult time for me. Fortunately, others came into my life with love and caring. I slowly regained the Christmas spirit because of them.

MJ🙋🏻

Alzheimer's creates such a devastating.  I am so sorry that you lost your Dad to this disease.   It sounds like you have wonderful and happy memories of having a caring and loving Dad in your life.❤️

I hope you are having a wonderful day today.🤗

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

The breeder just sent us a new picture of Elizabeth. So cute. We can't wait to pick her up right after Christmas.

IMG_2293.thumb.jpg.3825dc3bfd0e72789cb6d55a763cff48.jpg

Lizzy❤️ is a real beauty, Greg!!!

• Like 3