Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, #55worktoplay said:

My brothers dog a Yorkie was so terrified of them one Canada Day weekend she jumped through the screen door of the cottage and got lost in woods. They searched for two weeks and amazingly after two weeks they found her across the lake. She was in terrible shape and lost an eye from something she encountered which was major $$ for surgery but survived. 

My dog is also petrified and we had to deal with her two nights this year I hope there are none tonight. I always worry that this time she will have a heart attack!!  I wish they would get rid of them. From the amount of road side stands I’m pretty sure it’s big business unfortunately.

So sorry to hear about your Brothers dog.  He was probably so sad and scared while lost.    Hopefully he lived a full and happy life after his surgery.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

I think we have been to Cartegena twice...and never got off. The first time I went out on the balcony and felt the massive heat and humidity, and just said no. It is too hot. I would just melt. I'm sure it is a nice port, and I would like to see the animals. Maybe one of these years. ☺️We just borrowed the tour photos our friends took for the photo album. 

Walking off the ship slightly hung over in that heat hit us like a brick but we drank tons of water and powered thru.  Glad we did as it is an unique city and port.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So sorry to hear about your Brothers dog.  He was probably so sad and scared while lost.    Hopefully he lived a full and happy life after his surgery.  

Thanks!  Recovered  quite well for such a tiny thing it was miraculous just for surviving two weeks in the bush especially with coyotes all around. Tough cookie!

Edited by #55worktoplay
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I’m with you. I can’t handle extreme heat and humidity.

We were in Cartagena in December. DH uses a mobility scooter and was inclined to stay on the ship. finally agreed to join me in checking out the port area. He was very pleased to be able to move freely around the area as there were ramps and wide pathways. He really enjoyed taking photos of the many birds and animals in the area. The shopping area was also low pressure and we picked up some colorful ceramics to add to our collection .It was a most enjoyable couple of hours and if you have a scooter well worth doing, I understand that you are ambivalent at best about using one but please think about getting one to have available on this cruise. Our itinerary was similar to yours and the scooter was no problem in any of the ports,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

we definitely enjoyed our tour.  I will give you a little heads up about one of the stops.  There is one place where the vendors can be a little overwhelming.  It was a fairly short stop, but you could stay in the van if you preferred.  They really didn’t bother us as we just say no thank you and move on.  However, I know you are a seasoned cruiser and have seen this before.    Another thing about the stop is the port area.  It has a sort of small zoo there with some cool animals to check out.  The peacocks wander freely.  We also saw a very cool anteater.

IMG_2346.jpeg

Thank you!  Did you do the Dora tour with a group, or was it just the two of you?  

Just now, Sea Viewer said:

We were in Cartagena in December. DH uses a mobility scooter and was inclined to stay on the ship. finally agreed to join me in checking out the port area. He was very pleased to be able to move freely around the area as there were ramps and wide pathways. He really enjoyed taking photos of the many birds and animals in the area. The shopping area was also low pressure and we picked up some colorful ceramics to add to our collection .It was a most enjoyable couple of hours and if you have a scooter well worth doing, I understand that you are ambivalent at best about using one but please think about getting one to have available on this cruise. Our itinerary was similar to yours and the scooter was no problem in any of the ports,

Thank you for your thoughts. I’m leaning towards this.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you!  Did you do the Dora tour with a group, or was it just the two of you?  

Maryann,  We were put in a group of about 12 - 15 people (I don’t exactly remember).   We were in a very nice small bus.  I think she runs about 2 or 3 mini busses, so you are assigned to one.  It was well run and not crowded.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I have seen ads on TV lately about vests that dogs-maybe cats?- can wear for comfort from loud noise such as fireworks or thunder.

I think that they are similar to weighted blankets people use to calm

anxiety.

Has anyone used these vests for their pets?

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Tried them. Didn't work for our dogs. We did use an OTC herbal be-calm tablet. It didn't completely take away the shakes and panting but did help. Can't remember what it was called. Got it at Petco.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lionesss said:

that screen is very sturdy. It can be used as counter space. Or. Resting stuff on it.  I am keeping the dish strain, sponge and Dawn soap underneath it when not in use. I will also probably cover it with those drop clothes to let dishes dry on. 

Thanks! I think I would put a cutting board over it. It could be moved out of the way. They even sell those flexible ones now. 

5 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I have seen ads on TV lately about vests that dogs-maybe cats?- can wear for comfort from loud noise such as fireworks or thunder.

I think that they are similar to weighted blankets people use to calm

anxiety.

Has anyone used these vests for their pets?

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Thunder vests. They are supposed to be helpful for dogs. Cats? Probably not so much. 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That may end up being the best plan unless it’s like Patti’s post below.

I’m with you. I can’t handle extreme heat and humidity.

Don't let me discourage you Greg! We have been there twice, once on one of our Panama Canal cruises (when it was too hot), and the second on Southern Caribbean. I think last time was shortened by a medical emergency. Sometimes we just get port fatigue in the Caribbean. We are not cruisers that have to get off and do anything. And we sleep late on vacations. My live reviews would be very boring. 

Our delightful and very sarcastic room attendant on Serenade was so funny. He has worked for RC for 22 years. We had to get up early for the turnaround. He saw us come out of the room and said, "OMG. Did I miss the alarm? Do I need to get my life jacket? What are you doing up so early?" 😄

We are not Caribbean port experts. And we have been going to them for many years. You probably can't just go by my opinion. Although we (personally) missed a couple in Europe, too. On a Transatlantic, because of the stupid kennel cough, that seems to go around on such cruises. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

We are getting a daily fireworks show during July from Sea World 11 miles from our house .   If we can hear them it must be very loud near the bay . I don’t know how the pets cope.  Tomorrow will be a spectacular show from the port area with fireworks going off from five locations. 

Setting off fireworks by private citizens is illegal in town but some always do anyway and so dangerous because the vegetation is so dry. 

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Dunder paper company is a fictional business from the comedy TV series The Office with Steve Carrell.

Thanks, I never watched the show.

22 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Well that was the first thing I did. 
They sent me to the RV resource person. and she says  “ I don’t know each RV is different.”

Then I was sent to the customer service and the girl goes “ I don’t know I just check out your order”.  She sent me to parts and the very friendly attendant goes “ I know nothing about linen, replacements I can help you with, but here’s a measure tape if that would help” 

And that takes me back to no where. 

So I went to Amazon camping linen. Not a bad price for linen. 
Unfortunately they have nothing near what my measurements are for an RV  bedding. 

I need to know how to measure. 

And yes if you have followed me over the years; if it’s going to happen it will happen to me. 
As we begin our future travels. I am writing a book. 

Be safe. 

Have you checked with Camping World? Ours had a standard queen mattress so we never had that problem..

15 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Our two cats don't even seem to notice, either. We can see the Castle Hills display from our backyard (through the trees).

Same with our cats. Maybe they're used to it because of all the thunderstorms.

15 hours ago, Luckynana said:

This is all so very interesting, Renee!  How and when did you get interested in growing, selling, and drying them out?

I planted the mango tree maybe about 20 years ago. Don't really remember when. I used to post on Nextdoor sometimes to give the mangos away, but it was a pain because I would have to set up a time and wait on people. One time a guy messaged and asked if he could buy what I had and I was game. Since then he always texts early for me not to forget that he wants to buy them. He will be disappointed next year since I won't have as many. I'm going to have the tree cut back a lot.

The problem is you can have 800 - 1000 mangos in about 6 - 8 weeks time. I would be good with a smaller tree with about 250+-. I started drying them because that's the only way to for me to have some later. I don't make chutney or bake bread with them so drying it is. I'm going to send about half of the dried mangos to my mom. She also loves them. I did make salsa once that was good. I should do that again.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@h20skibum

Mark, how is Susan feeling?

She is a little better.  Thanks for asking.

Yesterday was the first she could get out of bed, but by evening, her temperature and aches were back.  We have been leaving her behind while we are out having fun.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

It is 21.55pm here and still 18°C.

Best wishes to all of my American friends for tomorrow.

4-july-9.gif

Thanks Graham.  You are far too classy to do so, but I would have enjoyed if you had posted this instead. 😁

What is Happy Treason Day? Meme trends online on the Fourth of July

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 22

My day, yesterday, without Susan along.

My California grandson, Lucas, and I met up with my daughter and granddaughter for a walk on a trail near their house.  The kids found quite a few ripe blackberries to eat. 

I took them all out to dinner, before our planned evening of watching fireworks.  There was a specialty drink on the menu called ‘Merica, which was supposed to be layered red, white, and blue. It was a minor fail, because the white had mixed by the time it made it to the table. 

IMG_7794.thumb.jpeg.4a19cfc177ed4931348960c1b859c350.jpeg

I know I have trouble keeping layers, when I make layered drinks, but it was still tasty. 

After dinner, we stopped at a little trail near a waterfall.  

IMG_7797.thumb.jpeg.3c7d2f4efeee2d6496575345ee54caee.jpeg

Tonight, we were traveling to Westminster College for their fireworks show.  Westminster is where my daughter received her undergraduate degree.  It is also the setting used for the Christian Bale movie, The Pale Blue Eye, because the buildings resemble West Point in the 1800’s. 

The River City Brass Band was set up, lakeside, to provide music for the evening.  This is one of their YouTube videos. 

From Pittsburgh, they are the only, full time professional brass band. 

The grandkids were all set for fireworks to begin. 

IMG_7800.thumb.jpeg.ad7fa1524de66d3383dca61c69534c0c.jpeg

This is the first time I ever went to one of their shows, and was surprised how large the crowd was.  It was a beautiful night for it, and the kids had a blast.  

Tonight we will be going to another show.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

I wish everyone a safe and Happy 4th of July🇺🇸!

It’s going to be a wet celebration here today. We have about 14 people coming for what should’ve been a pool party/cookout but now looks like a cook-in. Naturally yesterday was beautiful and tomorrow will be as well 😡.  
And while I’m complaining, I’m ready for that house reno to be done !!!!!!

• Like 13
  • Haha 3