Royal patents their own mask

27 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Actually they fined a trademark on the name "Seaface" and not a patent on a new type of mask

Makes more sense. No one can get a trademark that quickly and it can take years to get something patented. 

2 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

https://uspto.report/company/Royal+Caribbean+Cruises+Ltd.

Also trademarked a logo for:

TOUCHLESS

TOUCHFREE

RCL CARES

RIPTIDE

ANCHORS UP

These are all service mark applications. The SEAFACE mark is a trademark application for masks. I suppose if they decide to sell them on the ships this will be a potential name, but it does seem a bit strange. All of these marks are "intent-to-use" applications, meaning that they are not currently being used for anything (any may never be).

Edit to add: if they are attempting to patent something (even a design), we won't know for at least 18 months since patent applications are confidential for 18 months.

Edited by Pratique
  • Like 1

Give?  Not a word the cruise lines like to use [emoji846]

I would not be surprised to see masks be required and handed out at check-in, at least initially. Of course they may add $24.99 to your cruise fare for the mask, lol.
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I would not be surprised to see masks be required and handed out at check-in, at least initially. Of course they may add $24.99 to your cruise fare for the mask, lol.

And a 20% tip for the mask server.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I would be sad to have to wear a mask on a cruise especially since there is such a discrepancy about the benefits of wearing a mask.  One of the things I so enjoy about cruising is meeting other cruisers.  Guess just eye recognition will have to do.  LOL

I

5 hours ago, OfcSupport said:

Who wants to wear a mask on a cruise? I'll pass until it's safe to cruise without.

Exactly this. I will not be cruising if I'm required to wear a mask.

• Like 3

Most airline will require mask during the opening up of the countries. They are blocking off middle seats. As long as there is no vaccine, it prevent the spread. The mask prevent other from getting the virus, not the individual wearing the mask from getting it. That you would need a N95. This, along with other measures is one way to start cruising while the virus is still out there. I am not sure I like this new normal if everyone is wearing a mask. But just like formal night, things change. 

On 4/23/2020 at 4:25 PM, Pratique said:

These are all service mark applications. The SEAFACE mark is a trademark application for masks. I suppose if they decide to sell them on the ships this will be a potential name, but it does seem a bit strange. All of these marks are "intent-to-use" applications, meaning that they are not currently being used for anything (any may never be).

Edit to add: if they are attempting to patent something (even a design), we won't know for at least 18 months since patent applications are confidential for 18 months.

About the same time for a vaccine rollout. 

On 4/23/2020 at 3:37 PM, zonacruiser25 said:

Maybe they will have masks that they give every passenger at boarding from now on

I hate a mask for even a short period - can't imagine taking a vacation in one.  Anyone planned for eating and drinking aspect?

4 hours ago, squadron said:

I hate a mask for even a short period - can't imagine taking a vacation in one.  Anyone planned for eating and drinking aspect?

I work in pharmaceutical manufacturing. It is deemed an essential activity so we have been working as normal through the last number of weeks. Even outside of the clean room areas we now have to wear face masks. The only time we can remove it is to eat or drink and that is only when we can be assured there is at least 2 meters separation. It’s hot and uncomfortable and has given me an even deeper respect for frontline healthcare workers. I miss cruising but I wouldn’t cruise if it meant having a wear a face mask when indoors. 

• Like 1

We currently have to wear a mask to go to Walmart, the grocery store and anywhere else that is open. I would imagine that theme parks and cruise ships will require them for workers and either require or highly recommend them for guests initially. Another reason we won’t be cruising until this is over.

• Like 1