Surprise senior discount!

So, I just called for a price drop on our July 2021 Alaska cruise. I thought it was going to only be a few hundred dollars but to my surprise, the agent said it dropped over $1500! Okaaaay, I thought. When I received the invoice in email, she had applied a seniors discount! I called back to make sure this was correct - my husband just turned 55, but I am not. The discount was applied to both of us. She checked with her manager and said that is correct, it applies to both of us and only one person in the room needs to be 55 or over! I still don't believe it! Tell me it's true....

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, PastaNoodle said:

So, I just called for a price drop on our July 2021 Alaska cruise. I thought it was going to only be a few hundred dollars but to my surprise, the agent said it dropped over $1500! Okaaaay, I thought. When I received the invoice in email, she had applied a seniors discount! I called back to make sure this was correct - my husband just turned 55, but I am not. The discount was applied to both of us. She checked with her manager and said that is correct, it applies to both of us and only one person in the room needs to be 55 or over! I still don't believe it! Tell me it's true....

Congratulations on your surprise Senior rate. RCI does not give a discount per se but does offer Senior, Military and State rate/fares every once in awhile.

57 minutes ago, PastaNoodle said:

what date and ship?

OOOOH!!!!  Thanks for the info!!  I think I better check my bookings!!  With all the switching from 2020 to 2021 I'm really overloaded so a Senior discount is  welcomed!!  I might need to join the Army too but I don't think I would pass the physical!!:classic_laugh:

I had started to think that I was an utter waste of time to bother clicking over 55, military and state of residence since I think of the 100’s of cruises that I have priced I saw $100 off 3 times (one on state and twice on age). I am glad it worked out for someone!

4 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

I had started to think that I was an utter waste of time to bother clicking over 55, military and state of residence since I think of the 100’s of cruises that I have priced I saw $100 off 3 times (one on state and twice on age). I am glad it worked out for someone!

Nope, ALWAYS looking.  Do 4-8 Royal Cruises a yr and last 3yrs by time ship sailed have scored Military Discounts on 1/3 my Cruises. Lowest was $250, best was $1650. Use to be offered only closer to sailing, lately some been yr out. Always checking for any discounts on my Bookings and last 5+ weeks got over $4000 in reductions on Booked Cruises. Most were reg reductions but one was Military. Even saw few Cruises that were offering no Single Supplement for while, but gone now

• Like 2

17 hours ago, patattack said:

One of my friends said they received a discount as she is a nurse.  I have never seen discount for nurses.

Pat

There should always be discounts to police and fire people.I have neighbors who were in the National Guard for 6 months in the state they lived in and get great discounts always.I think the military discounts should only be for people who were active in a branch of the Armed Forces.

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

There should always be discounts to police and fire people.I have neighbors who were in the National Guard for 6 months in the state they lived in and get great discounts always.I think the military discounts should only be for people who were active in a branch of the Armed Forces.

It also applies to those who served for 30 years and are retired, as it should. Seems as valid a discount as any I can imagine. Not many people serve our country, a small percentage, and only the rare person protects us for decades. They deserve respect and any other tiny token someone can manage to throw in. I work in healthcare, my sister also works in healthcare (and performed many surgeries during war time in Iraq I should add); both my parents were underpaid as teachers for many decades. And none of us expect a discount, none of us would feel we deserved anything special. But the suggestion that those who spent a lifetime serving our country should not get a piddly few hundred off their fare as a gesture of appreciation is far past my ability to understand.

Edited by AlohaLivin

11 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

It also applies to those who served for 30 years and are retired, as it should. Seems as valid a discount as any I can imagine. Not many people serve our country, a small percentage, and only the rare person protects us for decades. They deserve respect and any other tiny token someone can manage to throw in. I work in healthcare, my sister also works in healthcare (and performed many surgeries during war time in Iraq I should add); both my parents were underpaid as teachers for many decades. And none of us expect a discount, none of us would feel we deserved anything special. But the suggestion that those who spent a lifetime serving our country should not get a piddly few hundred off their fare as a gesture of appreciation is far past my ability to understand.

Did I say that those who served our country should not be entitled to discounts ?I did not.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did I say that those who served our country should not be entitled to discounts ?I did not.

What it suggested in my reading was that it was your opinion was that those who were active should receive the discount (vs. those not active). To me there is a great deal of difference between those not serving now and those who served for many years and retired. That may not be what you meant, but by adding the active designation it definitely suggested that (since there is only active, not in the service, and retired as categories).  

Check this one out,  

7 night Alaska

July 3rd, 2020 (probably wont sail,  I get that)

Ovation of the Seas

7D Balcony

$1338 total for 2 (west coast resident rate)

So my thought, book and pay this now, use the Lift and Switch to move this to 2021 either Ovation or Quantum and save a "boat load"!!

2021 rates, same category, same date

$3614 for 2

Save $2300 with Lift and Switch

I don't know, is this unethical? 🙄

Alaska.thumb.JPG.417faed994b556baca04adff6b029863.JPG

5 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

What it suggested in my reading was that it was your opinion was that those who were active should receive the discount (vs. those not active). To me there is a great deal of difference between those not serving now and those who served for many years and retired. That may not be what you meant, but by adding the active designation it definitely suggested that (since there is only active, not in the service, and retired as categories).  

I do not see how I can make my point any clearer.I stated that people who were in the National Guard for 6 months and never left the state in which they live perhaps should not be entitled to a discount .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Unless he/she changed it,  they said it should only apply to those who were active in the military.  I took that to mean anyone who had been active duty and not primarily a reservist (which people can be "activated" and serve "active duty" for long periods of time).  I took it to automatically extend to military retirees- as they would have been active for an entire career and then retired- which, to me, would fit under the category of "were active."  I don't know how the person feels about someone who did one enlistment and did not extend.   They would certainly fit into the category of "were active."  There are lots of possibilities to how one could be active but no longer active. 
I know many places offer discounts to "active duty only."  Thankfully, this is not the case with the cruise lines that do offer military rates. Most at least extend to retirees.