VACCINE NEWS-Keep your fingers crossed...

ASTRAZENECA just announced that the vaccine they have developed has been VERY safe and successful in OVER TEN THOUSAND patients.

To avoid any lag time between approval and delivery they are moving ahead with production and will, if approved, be able to ship 300 million doses to the United States in SEPTEMBER of this year, and 2 billion worldwide.

astra.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, others are developing vaccines as well.  But let's remember vaccines are preventative not cure-alls.

Example for the seasonal flu, about 40% of those getting a vaccine still get the flu and less than 1/2 the population who should get a vaccine do so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

Yes, others are developing vaccines as well.  But let's remember vaccines are preventative not cure-alls.

Example for the seasonal flu, about 40% of those getting a vaccine still get the flu and less than 1/2 the population who should get a vaccine do so.

And more than half of the people who claim they got the flu anyway didn't get it in time to develop antibodies or got some symptomatic side effects or another flu like illness..  

In any case I will be first in line.. 👍

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

And more than half of the people who claim they got the flu anyway didn't get it in time to develop antibodies or got some symptomatic side effects or another flu like illness..  

The reason that many people still catch the flu, is that they have to guess which strain of the viruses will develop each year,  When they guess correctly, it's very effective.  In the case of Covid, they know the virus and the vaccine should be very effective.  I'm not sure that they know how long the vaccine will be effective, but if I need to get a Covid vaccine each year that will be fine.  Sign me up when the vaccine's available.  

• Like 14

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

My Family has different issue. Get Flu shots in Sept/Oct, by time Season hits AZ it's April. Get mine early possible as Cruise Oct-Dec every yr... In Feb my Kids/Grands got Flu, all tested Positive. They had Shots in Fall, though was bad year for Flu even with CV Quarantine  

Edited by ONECRUISER

48 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The reason that many people still catch the flu, is that they have to guess which strain of the viruses will develop each year,  When they guess correctly, it's very effective.  In the case of Covid, they know the virus and the vaccine should be very effective.  I'm not sure that they know how long the vaccine will be effective, but if I need to get a Covid vaccine each year that will be fine.  Sign me up when the vaccine's available.  

I will be in line with you..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

The "Flu Vaccine" is not a real Vaccine.  It is more like a "Flu Preventative". (that's what they should call it instead of misusing "vaccine").

The Polio Vaccine keeps you from EVER getting the polio - that's what a real vaccine is.  Hopefully the Covid-19 Vaccine will do the same.

• Like 11

Crossing fingers this is true. However, since AstraZeneca is one of the 5 companies selected to be in Project Warp Speed, I am skeptical of any of the press releases. One of the other 5 members is already being investigated for embellishing their press releases, allegedly to boost their stock prices since they were heavily invested in when announced they were part of Project Warp Speed.

I will be in the front of the line when a vaccine approved by my physician is available. I am tired of living in isolation.

Edited by cured
  • Like 3

If you do a little further reading on this topic, the post is quite misleading.  The vaccine has NOT been effective in "over 10,000 patients as stated".  Oxford enrolled 10,260 patients in their study; the study follows a 1,000-patient phase 1 trial that still hasn't turned out top-line data. Phase 2 and phase 3 haven't even begun, and no product will be available for human use until this is done.

Granted; good news and progress, but no where near "ready for prime time."

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/astrazeneca-oxford-biomedica-agree-to-1-year-tie-up-to-produce-covid-19-vaccine

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

ASTRAZENECA just announced that the vaccine they have developed has been VERY safe and successful in OVER TEN THOUSAND patients.

To avoid any lag time between approval and delivery they are moving ahead with production and will, if approved, be able to ship 300 million doses to the United States in SEPTEMBER of this year, and 2 billion worldwide.

astra.jpg

This will be a game changer for us all.

Let's hope it is effective.

• Like 4

I know this much - we have tremendously talented and brilliant individuals on this planet. And there are so many of them are working on this world problem. I know that they will come up with something effective  sooner rather than later. Perhaps not something perfect but something that helps save lives. 🌈

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

First and foremost, people need to get healthy. Build up your immune system. The US is one of the most unhealthy countries in the world. 

I agree, but even people with a healthy immune system are vulnerable.  Let's pray for a vaccine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

First and foremost, people need to get healthy. Build up your immune system. The US is one of the most unhealthy countries in the world. 

You can't really "build up" your immune system.  You can keep it healthy with good practices, like good eating habits, moderate exercise and getting enough sleep. Vitamins and some supplements work to help your health if you eat poorly or have a deficiency. More dosage doesn't do more. So don't become a robbery victim giving your hard earned $$ to Big Supplement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DHADEN said:

The "Flu Vaccine" is not a real Vaccine.  It is more like a "Flu Preventative". (that's what they should call it instead of misusing "vaccine").

The Polio Vaccine keeps you from EVER getting the polio - that's what a real vaccine is.  Hopefully the Covid-19 Vaccine will do the same.

Yes, we hope that a vaccine will be along the lines of the polio and smallpox and measles vaccines, but COVID19 is from the similar family as SARS and many flus so it can mutate, which is why we have different flu vaccines every year.

53 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Not sure that is quite accurate and there are scores of “health” measures. Regardless, one doesn’t “get healthy” overnight (certainly not in time to help much in this pandemic), sometimes just having a healthy lifestyle doesn’t reduce your risk and some people can’t afford what it costs to live that healthy lifestyle. 

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1

We will be in that line for a vaccine.  We are so ready to get back on the deck of a ship.  Have missed out on several cruises but thankful that we are still healthy.  This sure has been a very stressful time for everyone.

3 hours ago, DHADEN said:

It most certainly is.

• Like 1

I'll get in line even if they just have a "preventive" instead of a vaccine for Cov.  

I get a flu shot every year and have not had the flu in over 20 years so I''ll just add the Cov shot as part of my Fall getting-ready-to-cruise prep.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

I'll get in line even if they just have a "preventive" instead of a vaccine for Cov.  

I get a flu shot every year and have not had the flu in over 20 years so I''ll just add the Cov shot as part of my Fall getting-ready-to-cruise prep.

I don’t get the flu shot & only once years ago had the flu. And that was some 40 years ago. Call it what it is - luck or healthy life style.