Covid test in order to travel????

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Is it in the city you live In ,definitely not state wide .I had a procedure in March and another scheduled for July and neither facility mandated that.

It may just be the institution. NYU requires a covid screening before a colonoscopy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

Just curious, where did you check the stats?  I live in Wayne County, MI, about half an hour away from DTW.  We are having restrictions lifted, businesses and restaurants are opening up again because the numbers have improved.  

The numbers are improving, and I'm happy to hear this.  Overall, things are easing in MI. It's the high count compared to the population that has had us all worried for months about Wayne County, and potentially traveling to and from DTW.  My family with two toddlers live in Washtenaw County, but as you know people are constantly moving back and forth between the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor area and Wayne County, and the risk of infection is much higher with that movement from a higher infection rate area.

This page has county information, and actually has better statistics than the public health web site:  

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/03/20/michigan-covid-19-data-tracking-case-count-cases-by-county-deaths-cases-by-age-tests/

I have found other statistics, but they tend to not have graphs, and several exclude Detroit. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

I am, Mid-Michigan, Lansing. You know where we can Legally Open Carry Guns into the Capital, just like the Founding Father's... Flew into Grand Rapids, it's Direct Flight from other Home near Mesa-Gateway in AZ. 

Good to hear......well, the part about not flying into DTW.

• Like 1

Testing results need to be received ASAP.  But yes, if negative, you could still retest positive in 72 hours depending on your actions when around others.

We have test sites locally where people aren't receiving test results for 10 days.  If positive and if they don't quarantine until results are received, they could spread the virus.  But if positive and quarantined until results are posted, they are probably not going to transmit anything as the virus loses much of it's contagiousness after 9-12 days.

3 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

WOW - a fun time on both ends! 😁

To put things into perspective in relation to Alaska requiring it, The covid test needs to be done at an NYU facility in order to guarantee that they will get the results in time. I don't see how this would work unless Alaska has testing sites around the world. This is their way of not allowing visitors without actually saying it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

To put things into perspective in relation to Alaska requiring it, The covid test needs to be done at an NYU facility in order to guarantee that they will get the results in time. I don't see how this would work unless Alaska has testing sites around the world. This is their way of not allowing visitors without actually saying it.

Where does it say that in the Alaska government posting on the new testing requirements?  My sister can do the test and get results back in a few hours.  OMG!!!...Florida has that capability! 😉 

I am still going...and can travel with test results in hand that are less than 72 hours old.  

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Where does it say that in the Alaska government posting on the new testing requirements?  My sister can do the test and get results back in a few hours.  OMG!!!...Florida has that capability! 😉 

I am still going...and can travel with test results in hand that are less than 72 hours old.  

Yes the Doctors at an institution can have the results in a few hours which is why they want the test done there. If you to a lab facility like Quest or Enzo there is no guarantee of the time they get the results. I have to go for blood work a week before my appointment to be sure my Primary care Dr has the results for my visit.

Edited by Iamcruzin

1 hour ago, island lady said:

https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/

This was in the link the OP posted.

On 6/8/2020 at 5:26 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Was interesting as she left home without any form of ID. Fortunately I'm always ready, brought her Birth Certificate which was only thing 2 different Airlines, Security and Cruise Line needed from her.

Lucky that it worked because a birth certificate doesn't have a picture.  Well, even if it did, it wouldn't match the person grown up    😃     Without an accompanying government photo id, the birth certificate doesn't really establish anything... ?

Edited by mpk

3 hours ago, mpk said:

Lucky that it worked because a birth certificate doesn't have a picture.  Well, even if it did, it wouldn't match the person grown up    😃     Without an accompanying government photo id, the birth certificate doesn't really establish anything... ?

Really, I know. She had nothing, Only had both our BC, ML, my DL and my Military ID I brought. Thought we were out of Luck with Airlines. Cruise Line, no questions and less issues. All this in Feb 2002. Within 4 months my life changed, separated/Divorced, I got Custody of the Kids and she got my C&A Status... Was Trip to remember though, driving to Airport in a Snow Storm taking almost 2hrs to get 32 miles on a Highway while driving in 4 wheel Drive. Getting to Check in Counter finding her without any pictured ID. Let us board anyway just making Flight, only seats available/bumped up to First Class. Kool. As we Taxied to take off Plane slide off concrete and we were stuck, Airport Shutdown. 8hrs later, had been dug out and warm wave melted the new snow, we got to Miami at 8pm instead of 10am, but Luggage did not missing out late connection in Atlanta. Was first time flew in day before Cruise & would have missed Cruise otherwise. Bags arrived at Hotel early am, another plus. Now retired, always fly in 2 nites before...

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 6/9/2020 at 8:26 PM, BirdTravels said:

We were just on a flight. The airline had every seat available for sale (no blocked seats for social distancing). And while masks were "required" to be worn onboard, the flight attendants were constantly reminding people standing in the aisles waiting for the bathroom, who were standing right next to seated passengers, to put their masks back on. Or passengers that had masks hanging off one ear. Much, much less compliance than you would have expected. People didn't care and were just going through the motions. 

Good reason to not book a seat close to the restrooms.

16 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/

This was in the link the OP posted.

Already knew about that...I was questioning your post about tests having to be done at an NYU facility.  There is nothing in that link that requires tests done at one of them.  Quoting your post:

To put things into perspective in relation to Alaska requiring it, The covid test needs to be done at an NYU facility in order to guarantee that they will get the results in time. 

Edited by island lady

23 minutes ago, island lady said:

Already knew about that...I was questioning your post about tests having to be done at an NYU facility.  There is nothing in that link that requires tests done at one of them.  Quoting your post:

To put things into perspective in relation to Alaska requiring it, The covid test needs to be done at an NYU facility in order to guarantee that they will get the results in time. 

You misunderstood me probably because my thought covered two trains of thought. Someone mentioned that they had to be tested for covid before a medical procedure. I commented that NYU is requiring a covid test 72 hours before a colonoscopy. Then in my second post I added that the test had to be done at an NYU facility in order to guarantee the results could be back in time.  My point being that if you are going to a lab like Quest you may not have the results back in time for Alaska. The link I added in they reply to your post shows a map of the sites you can go to for a covid test for Alaska.  I have no idea of the turnaround time. If anyone is willing to pay a co-pay and go to their primary care or in our case a family member who works in the medical field you can probably have the results back in a day. My wife needed one to return to work. NYU set up employee testing so her results were back the next day. It probably only took a few hours to get the result but by the time the information is entered in the chart and the doctor releases it, a day has passed.  It took a few days for the antibody test result to come back. I had an xray at 8:30 and an appointment at 9:00 with the doctor. As soon as my appointment was done the x-ray was released to the My Chart App for my records so that's how fast it can happen if at the office and not an outside facility.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

You misunderstood me probably because my thought covered two trains of thought. Someone mentioned that they had to be tested for covid before a medical procedure. I commented that NYU is requiring a covid test 72 hours before a colonoscopy. Then in my second post I added that the test had to be done at an NYU facility in order to guarantee the results could be back in time.  My point being that if you are going to a lab like Quest you may not have the results back in time for Alaska. The link I added in they reply to your post shows a map of the sites you can go to for a covid test for Alaska.  I have no idea of the turnaround time. If anyone is willing to pay a co-pay and go to their primary care or in our case a family member who works in the medical field you can probably have the results back in a day. My wife needed one to return to work. NYU set up employee testing so her results were back the next day. It probably only took a few hours to get the result but by the time the information is entered in the chart and the doctor releases it, a day has passed.  It took a few days for the antibody test result to come back. I had an xray at 8:30 and an appointment at 9:00 with the doctor. As soon as my appointment was done the x-ray was released to the My Chart App for my records so that's how fast it can happen if at the office and not an outside facility.

Yes, your post was confusing and easy to misunderstand.  And I am not sure what being tested to be able to have medical procedures done in NY has anything to do with the subject of this thread....or having to go to an NYU facility (specifically) to be tested for travel to Alaska.  

Your post:

Edited by island lady

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Yes, your post was confusing and easy to misunderstand.  And I am not sure what being tested to be able to have medical procedures done in NY has anything to do with the subject of this thread....or having to go to an NYU facility (specifically) to be tested for travel to Alaska.  

Your post:

NYU has nothing to do with Alaska. My original reply was commenting to someone who needed a covid test for a hospital procedure. Another person replied that they didn't need one for their procedure. I commented maybe it has something to do with the the institution requiring it. (NYU required covid testing for a procedure and it had to be done at NYU) This got me thinking that the test results from the test sites offered on the site map may not get the results back with in the 72 hours. Therefore it would be better to go to your doctor or an institution that would guarantee the results within the 72 hour time frame. The delay isn't the test results it's within the communication of the results. Covid testing would be useless anyway unless you quarantine for 72 hours after the test. I think it's B.S. that Alaska is even requiring it and it's in place only to discourage tourists. Flying alone will void any test results.

4 minutes ago, Alter Ego said:

Bermuda will be opening soon - July 1st.  Test also required.  New normal (who makes up these terms?  Wouldn’t you like to be the one who does?)

68BAD258-F555-41A1-9C0A-77D328B124D3.thumb.png.85cb75a68d38b05d4f702fb102bb15a4.png

Ok, so what about cruises?   This clearly doesn't include us.

48 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Ok, so what about cruises?   This clearly doesn't include us.

Nothing yet that I see about cruises.  Recall the OP’s original questions “So will this be the new normal for the near future? Will other states and countries follow suit?”

This happens to also be a popular cruise port that appears to be following Alaska in requiring the test.  Cruise ships aren’t going anywhere right now - and the ports are likely going to be limited when they are.  Maybe, if this goes well, it may open to cruises at the end of the season if they are the only/first stop and people get the test.

On 6/9/2020 at 8:49 PM, FOXTROT said:

We tested positive 2 months ago. Have tried to be retested(to see our grandkids). Doctors say no, we are cured. There are not enough tests for this. 

My 22 year old granddaughter also tested positive. She had a fairly severe case, but did not need to be hospitalized. She also has never been retested - she was told if she self-quarantined for 14 days after all symptoms were gone, she would be fine. Which is what she followed. That method doesn’t help anyone who tests positive, but is asymptomatic, though. 

Edited by kastke