Is anyone concerned about traveling to Seattle for a cruise?

5 minutes ago, eaflorida said:

I dont think that what happened in Manhattan 2 weeks ago was a joke to me.

Well you won't have to worry about it anytime soon as there won't be any cruises out of Seattle in 2020. But those six blocks in Seattle  are probably one of the safer areas of downtown Seattle right now. My neighbors stopped in there with their kids today, took a lot of selfies. They said the people there were really friendly handing out face masks and hand sanitizer if you needed it. She said the streets were cleaner than most of the rest of downtown albeit far more graffiti. But she said much of that was very artistic. 😃  

• Like 6

With many visits to Seattle, in the past we have seen protest/looting during G& summit, big homeless issues and then no homeless in certain areas, just a lot of things any big city can have.  We love to cruise and have come and gone in Seattle.  We have never encountered any problems in any city we have sailed from or port we have visited.  Covid and protesters (terrorists in too many cases) are circumstances that do affect when and were we will cruise to or from.  We have worked hard to earn the $$ we spend on our vacations and will choose what appears to offer the least opportunity for a problem to arise.  Life holds no guarantees.  Right now I do not believe I would choose to visit or sail from Seattle, LA NY, NJ or others.  That's today.  I do not see cruises even starting much before September if then.  Lots will change between now and then.  For now it is interesting to participate in these threads.  I hope many of us can meet on a cruise and look back at this time and be glad it is over and lift a glass, happy to be back at sea!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, firstsailor said:

Since our cruise out of Seattle was cancelled, twice, and we already moved our flights once so they are now only changeable with a large fee, we are going to spend a week in Seattle at the end of July. I dont think much will be open so we plan to focus on Mt Rainer but I am personally not too concerned. Our airbnb is not in the Capital Hill area and I dont necessarily agree that the people there are dangerous. Taking it too far? Maybe. Do I want to stay in that neighborhood? Not really, But it doesnt make me afraid of Seattle. 

Seattle is already in a Phase 1.5 reopening (restaurants outside seating and limited inside seating). By the end of July, it should progress to Phase 2 and 3. And  you should be able to enjoy many of the attractions of the city. 

• Like 1

The Covid quarantine is what has really had the most influence on all of our travel plans.

I live in Philly and we have had a few weeks of protests, looting and curfews just like Seattle and New York.

The protesters are not interested in tourists!

As we move into phase yellow (cautious reopening), more people are out working and shopping in previously empty downtown streets. People are able to see some sun and feel a warm breeze instead of being housebound with cold and gloomy weather outside.

People who live in big cities and travel to them respect and appreciate their diversity.

Since most Seattle cruises go up to Alaska and that cruise season is on hold, no need to worry about traveling there for a cruise.  

By the way, I have visited many, many much more dangerous countries than the USA, and I have many more on my bucket list to see. I never worry about any cruises in any cities in the USA. 

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I don't understand what you mean.  Please explain.

If the situation in Seattle isn’t handled by the 4th word is that the Hells Angels (81) , Mongols and some of their friends are going to handle it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, eaflorida said:

I am sorry if some of you view a legitimate question about safety and security for some of us older cruisers in a city or cities that have or had violent demonstrations or riots a couple of weeks ago. In particular, images on TV of the Mid Town Manhattan violence and looting would cause me to most likely not consider taking a cruise out of NYC at this time. 

Who can predict how things will be when cruising finally does resume? As an older person myself I don't see the benefit of fretting about the future. 

We will be in Seattle in September 2021 as a port day on our Celebrity Pacific Coastal cruise. I'll evaluate the safety/security issues, if any, as we get closer to sailing and plan accordingly.

2 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

As an older person myself I don't see the benefit of fretting about the future. 

Absolutely love this!  Not so long ago my DH's mother, who was in the final stages of life, said something very similar.  It went like this, "I've spent so much of my time thinking about the past or worrying about the future, that I forgot to live in the moment."  

It's a little harder to live by these days...

21 hours ago, eaflorida said:

I wonder if anyone is concerned about the violence and anarchy in Seattle, or any other major city like NYC or London  as far as going there for a cruise in the future? As for myself, I would not travel to Seattle or London if you paid me. Would be interested in your thoughts.

You live in Jacksonville - you have your own excitement coming up in August, with more red hats and dirty beards than a drunk Santa convention. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

So is a mob taking over a street in front of homes and businesses and shaking them down for protection money.  

I guess it really depends on what news media you are listening to. According to leaders of the peaceful protest, this has not been happening. And how many is considered a mob? I live here, you don’t. Maybe see if you can find some local Seattle news stories. 

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, FTD said:

If the situation in Seattle isn’t handled by the 4th word is that the Hells Angels (81) , Mongols and some of their friends are going to handle it. 

When state & local governments cave to these clowns trying to take over the city

Somebody needs to come in and run them off.

Let's hope this really happens..

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I guess it really depends on what news media you are listening to. According to leaders of the peaceful protest, this has not been happening. And how many is considered a mob? I live here, you don’t. Maybe see if you can find some local Seattle news stories. 

Do you live in the 6 block area affected?  A mob would be a large group of people.  Enjoy your "Summer of Love" and peaceful protests.

21 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

My mom lives in an assisted living facility in Ballard (north of downtown) and my brother lives at the north end of Lake Washington.  They say it's business as usual except the 6 blocks on Capital Hill, which when I lived there, was just a bunch of coffee shops and hippies.  Otherwise, you wouldn't know anything was going on in Seattle.  It's not like the whole city is taken over (yet).  Lots of people live there who don't even pay attention to this stuff. If you are afraid to travel, do yourself a favor and stay home.

How close is Capital Hill to Pine street and Pike Place Marke? We stayed two days pre cruise last year and walked everywhere. We stayed downtown and walked to the Space Needle and several shops downtown and the market both days?

On 6/15/2020 at 10:13 AM, fla gang said:

How close is Capital Hill to Pine street and Pike Place Marke? We stayed two days pre cruise last year and walked everywhere. We stayed downtown and walked to the Space Needle and several shops downtown and the market both days?

I did a google map, and Pike Place Market looks like several miles away, but still pretty close by car.   West Precinct is about 1 1/2 miles, and there's a  freeway in the way.

I have two cruises embarking/disembarking from Seattle.  But I was not happy to see the government replace the temporary barriers with permanent ones.  So they're probably here to stay for a while.    I may change this cruise to end in Vancouver, or maybe cancel all together.  Depends on how long this situation lasts.  Final Payment is in December. 

I would not go to Seattle, Anti-Police, Riots, Arson, Looting, Anarchy, plus there is a lot of "chatter" about next steps the groups will take.  Law, Order, Civil Discourse and Free Speech (unless you agree with the anarchists, you are only allowed to speak is you agree with them) is frowned upon in Seattle.  Vancouver is so beautiful and peaceful, so when you book your next Alaska Cruise pick Vancouver.  I doubt your travel insurance will cover the illegal insurrection of Seattle.

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Vancouver is so beautiful and peaceful, so when you book your next Alaska Cruise pick Vancouver.  I doubt your travel insurance will cover the illegal insurrection of Seattle.

Our next cruise actually has Vancouver as a port of call, with the original disembarkation ending in Seattle, so we're wondering if we can disembark in Vancouver instead.    We'd originally picked ending in Seattle, because we could fly domestic.  Also, Seattle has a very easy customs, and out of Vancouver is more of a hassle.  But they had several "endings" to that cruise, and one of the was Vancouver.  So, I'm wondering if I can get HAL to change it so I disembark in Vancouver.

The last time we disembarked in Vancouver, the porters were away on union business, so we ended up dragging our own luggage.  We decided never to use Vancouver as a disembarkation port due to this.  The dollies were unused, and they wouldn't let us use them, because they were reserved only for porters that were not there.

I'm here in Seattle. It's completely safe to travel here. Altho all the Seattle based cruises have been cancelled. I'm actually flying out tomorrow, and the airport has been the best I've seen in my 6 years here...empty, no security lines, etc.

I haven't been down to CHAZ/CHOP yet, but many friends have and they said it's generally peaceful, especially during the day. Otherwise, everything is as normal as can be in the rest of the city, with Covid. Some restaurants even have outside seating now. The weather is gorgeous today and while most of the year is dreary, summer is pretty amazing through September.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...