Diamond Club Theory when we return

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

If anybody will be thinking twice, it's the majority of experienced cruisers who shoukd know how risky it really is.

I do wonder how many die hard aged cruisers will risk health, over going in a cruise when they first resume.  The die hard cruisers around here seemed rearing to go, but they have disappeared as of late. 

How about you John, how long will it take for you to step on board a ship and what will it take?  Record low rates, a vaccine, etc... just curious.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The die hard cruisers around here seemed rearing to go, but they have disappeared as of late. 

Agree, the diehards who were "hopeful" about August cruises a couple months ago seem to have retreated into a mode of managing all their refunds and FCC's.  I think they have finally realized that their "cruising lifestyle" is over for quite some time.   I feel for them trying to manage all the reservations that are in limbo for months to come. 😞

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I do wonder how many die hard aged cruisers will risk health, over going in a cruise when they first resume.  The die hard cruisers around here seemed rearing to go, but they have disappeared as of late. 

How about you John, how long will it take for you to step on board a ship and what will it take?  Record low rates, a vaccine, etc... just curious.  

Well, I still have Oasis scheduled for November,  but starting to look at L&S. Final coming up.

Laura doesn't want to be an early cruiser, but does have a Mariner comp in December. 

Realistically, I'd be willing to go on a short cruise in spring to see what it's like. To tell the truth, I'm not even sure what we hsve scheduled. I can't find my cruise binder. It got lost in the move

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Why do we cruise Royal then? Just for the loyalty perks? Do you feel stuck?

Only now while cruising is off do I feel stuck.

We are high loyalty on Princess,P&O and reciprocal with Celebrity by being D+ on Royal.

Royals itineraries and loyalty benefits suit us but we have and will go elsewhere if Royal cut back too much on loyalty benefits

IMG_20191126_163855.jpg

Screenshot_20200527_144227_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

IMG-20191211-WA0007.jpg

Edited by grapau27

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Well, I still have Oasis scheduled for November,  but starting to look at L&S. Final coming up.

Laura doesn't want to be an early cruiser, but does have a Mariner comp in December. 

Realistically, I'd be willing to go on a short cruise in spring to see what it's like. To tell the truth, I'm not even sure what we hsve scheduled. I can't find my cruise binder. It got lost in the move

We have the Mariner booked for October- hoping they cancel before final payment mid August

Then Harmony in December- people on the roll call are dropping like flies (wherever that saying came from)  We are hanging in there on that one for now.  

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm sure google could tell us, but I don't have the energy to search. 

But, I'm pretty sure the average passenger age on the big three is statistically identical.

Here you go!  Exactly what I said and certainly not "statistically identical.

"For cruise lines that targetted families with children, the average age was noticeably lower; Carnival had an average age of 44.9, and Royal Caribbean passengers had an average age of 48.8. The cruise lines that attracted the oldest passengers were mostly river cruise lines.

Among major ocean cruise lines, Holland America Line also attracted an older passenger base, with an average age of 64."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Here you go!  Exactly what I said and certainly not "statistically identical.

"For cruise lines that targetted families with children, the average age was noticeably lower; Carnival had an average age of 44.9, and Royal Caribbean passengers had an average age of 48.8. The cruise lines that attracted the oldest passengers were mostly river cruise lines.

Among major ocean cruise lines, Holland America Line also attracted an older passenger base, with an average age of 64."

10% is pretty darn close. Might fit into a std deviation.

No word on NCL?

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:25 AM, compman9 said:

With all the talk about social bubbles, segregating age groups, big gaps between pool beds, and smaller gatherings . . .

I would not be surprised to see the nightly drinks replaced by stocked cabin fridges 

There is no way they will want hundreds of people in all of the bars with vouchers for the same three hours, and I can see no way they will have hundreds stuffed in what are now, almost exclusively, packed Diamond Lounges

I would prefer that Royal just gives Diamonds and above drink coupons (paper or on their card) to use at any bar, any time of the day. They would save space by not having a dedicated lounge, save manpower (folks running that bar), and cruisers could get their drink whenever they wanted instead of during dinner time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

10% is pretty darn close. No word on NCL?

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

10% is pretty darn close. No word on NCL?

Actually, almost 32% between RCCL and HAL.  Norwegian average age is 52.5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I was responding to twangser's post #836 where he mentioned it as a possibility.

That was my bad attempt at some humor.  

If airline bankruptcies teach us anything it's that loyalty programs are not touched.   Several airlines have been through bankruptcy and mergers, some more than once.  Loyalty programs survive.  Airlines can't afford to tick off their loyal business customers who are their bread and butter and most loyal customers. 

Mergers have more impact to loyalty programs based on individual likes and dislikes.  

Likewise I've never lost money on a booked air ticket through an airline bankruptcy.  Investors and stockholders may have but the flying public generally doesn't even know when an airline has been going through the process.  An airline shutting down completely is a different story, one working through bankruptcy to emerge and remain in business generally has little impact to the consumer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

I would prefer that Royal just gives Diamonds and above drink coupons (paper or on their card) to use at any bar, any time of the day. They would save space by not having a dedicated lounge, save manpower (folks running that bar), and cruisers could get their drink whenever they wanted instead of during dinner time.

I'll disagree with the "and above" part of your post.....I would miss the snacks I have with my Coke or one Lemon Drop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

We have the Mariner booked for October- hoping they cancel before final payment mid August

Then Harmony in December- people on the roll call are dropping like flies (wherever that saying came from)  We are hanging in there on that one for now.  

We did a L/S for our March 2021 to March 2022...Should I be concerned about my May 8, 2021 ?...I wish I knew as we have an extended family group of 6 adults and 4 kids under 7 booked....It seems (not sure) like I have an option of April 24-May1, 2022 with same itinerary and cabin category.

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

And I sailed them 3 times in my 30's🤣🤣

Last sailed Carnival in my mid 40's

You have been around.  We also have never sailed Carnival.  All but 2 of our cruises have been with RCCL.

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

But HAL is not the big 3 my friend. 10% is between Carnival and Royal. 

Depending on the sample size, 10% can be a lot.  If the average age was calculated over a full year or more, I would say it is significant.  

Also, we live in a cruise port for half the year.  Sitting on the marina having lunch we can tell what ship are in just by looking at the passengers walking around.  Walkers and canes - HAL.  Diamond int’l bags, X and falling down drunk and carrying souvenir glasses, Carnival.  Royal rarely calls on Cabo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

You have been around.  We also have never sailed Carnival.  All but 2 of our cruises have been with RCCL.

Our first 21 cruises, only 1 was Royal

Carnival - 8

Princess - 4

Holland - 2 (guess I was wrong on 3 times)

Norwegian - 2

Majesty - 3

Celebrity -1

Royal -1 

All but 1 was Royal for the next 95

We should hit 100 Royal cruises by end of '21

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Our first 21 cruises, only 1 was Royal

Carnival - 8

Princess - 4

Holland - 2 (guess I was wrong on 3 times)

Norwegian - 2

Majesty - 3

Celebrity -1

Royal -1 

All but 1 was Royal for the next 95

We should hit 100 Royal cruises by end of '21

Ok I just checked our tally

Cunard 2

Carnival  2

HAL 3

Celebrity 2

NCL 2

Princess 3

And Royal Majesty which was not RCL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Ok I just checked our tally

Cunard 2

Carnival  2

HAL 3

Celebrity 2

NCL 2

Princess 3

And Royal Majesty which was not RCL

I loved Royal Majesty

Laura did Norwegian Majesty post stretch.

It still vibrated horribly

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I loved Royal Majesty

Laura did Norwegian Majesty post stretch.

It still vibrated horribly

So back in the old days you filled out your survey before you left the ship  On the Royal Majesty they picked one of the surveys out and that person won a free cruise. FOR ONE.  Ended up winning it.  Expensive free cruise prize to pay for Dan😇