Would you really?

23 hours ago, cruisefan0110 said:

There is a big difference between safety first and total fear. If you drive a car, you understand safety first without fear. 

It is important to weigh the risk in any activity that you undertake.  I think getting in a car and driving on the highways is the most risky activity that we do these days.  I read the police report in the daily local paper and the most common arrests are for shoplifting and DUI.  People get arrested for DUI driving drunk at 9am in the morning.     COVID-19 is definitely a risk, but primarily for older people and people with underlying conditions.

The way that I drove a car as a teenager, young people MAY have more risk of death from driving than dying from COVID-19.

The longer the disease is around, the less of a risk it will be, especially after a vaccine (even if only70% effective).  Further, as more people have had the disease, as in Sweden a herd immunity will be more likely.

Also, I believe once there are vaccines, the cruise industry and airlines will likely require people to have taken the vaccine.  This will make cruising relatively safe.  

On 8/5/2020 at 4:18 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

Would you really go on a cruise where you were required to wear a mask anytime out of your cabin including ports?

Sure.  What's the difference between that and what I've been doing for the last 5 months?  I'm used to it now:  take it off when I'm outside away from people, put it on when I'm around people.  My masks are made from old, soft cotton and are very comfy and washable.  

• Like 1

If it’s required. If there is still a deadly pandemic where mask wearing can help, then so be it. 

I will wear one on a boat. 
I will wear one with a goat. 
I will wear one on a train. 
I will wear one in the rain. 

PS - Anyone know if goats can spread Covid? 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, pcur said:

Sure.  What's the difference between that and what I've been doing for the last 5 months?  I'm used to it now:  take it off when I'm outside away from people, put it on when I'm around people.  My masks are made from old, soft cotton and are very comfy and washable.  

And useless as a protection from respiratory viruses.

• Like 1

We have to in California, so no difference than at home. Originally I thought no way, but it has become the new normal. It is the extra limitations I don't want. If there are no shows or I can't use the pool because I need a reservation, that is when it becomes a problem.  The cost of a cruise is too much money to throw at a limited experience.  It is why I wouldn't do Disneyworld right now. It is still several thousand dollars and the experience isn't the same. Now I live near Disneyland, so I get to go more often, so I would wear a mask and to there as I have the option to visit more so my investment isn't as much.

9 minutes ago, bearette said:

We have to in California, so no difference than at home. Originally I thought no way, but it has become the new normal. It is the extra limitations I don't want. If there are no shows or I can't use the pool because I need a reservation, that is when it becomes a problem.  The cost of a cruise is too much money to throw at a limited experience.  It is why I wouldn't do Disneyworld right now. It is still several thousand dollars and the experience isn't the same. Now I live near Disneyland, so I get to go more often, so I would wear a mask and to there as I have the option to visit more so my investment isn't as much.

At least at Disneyland you get a benefit to wearing a mask. Short lines at the rides and food courts. On a cruise ship there is no benefit.

On 8/8/2020 at 1:18 PM, grapau27 said:

It will.

Screenshot_20200808_211610_com.android.chrome.jpg

This will be interesting, I guess if all the guest are SARS-CoV-2 free and or immune then what's there to worry about.

Then as they go into every port and mingle don't get it ( herd immunity baby ! )

What could go wrong?

19 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

At least at Disneyland you get a benefit to wearing a mask. Short lines at the rides and food courts. On a cruise ship there is no benefit.

Who says that once cruises are happening there will not be MAJOR adjustments as to number of passengers, social distancing at all venues and buffet service that is totally different.

I am sure they would rather sail with 50% capacity (20% over the break even point) than not to sail at all..

At 50% capacity and with the intelligent use of space social distancing could easily be accomplished..

3 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

And useless as a protection from respiratory viruses.

I'm not using my maks as protection from respiratory viruses.  I have lots of immunities against them.  It's COVID19 I'm wearing the mask to avoid.

351253166_Infectionwithorwithoutmasksgraphic.thumb.jpg.91fb09ec2f1403ab26a20d6644bce43c.jpg

4 hours ago, zekekelso said:

If it’s required. If there is still a deadly pandemic where mask wearing can help, then so be it. 

I will wear one on a boat. 
I will wear one with a goat. 
I will wear one on a train. 
I will wear one in the rain. 

PS - Anyone know if goats can spread Covid? 

You’d need to ask Dr Seuss. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, irzero said:

No they dont.

If they did we wouldnt have a pandemic. 

UK government has only implemented it because it stops the media blaming that for any increases in virus cases. Its not even being enforced. Nor can they. 

All the nurses and doctors wear them and yet still get infected.  My sister wears a bio hazmat suit on the covid ward and that is what is needed to stop infection. Not a pair of underpants cut in to a facemask. 

People keep touching them when soaked in spit from breathing. Which is worse than not wearing one. 

Good luck in life with this attitude.

I have worn a mask for hours at a time and never was it soaked with spit!

Maybe doctors and nurses should stop wearing masks when they perform surgeries since they dont do anything anyway!!

If a doctor or nurse contracts the virus who is to say where they caught the virus.  Maybe on the train or bus ride to work.  Maybe from someone they met up with that thinks masks are worthless!

As you are an expert in infectious disease and know masks are worthless I guess you better advise the rest of the world.

You best get busy you have alot of people to tell.

While you do that the rest of us will try our best to do our part so we can get cruising in the foreseeable future.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Currently there are no lines at Disneyland because Disneyland, like the cruise lines, is closed indefinitely. 

• Haha 1

Yes I would. But the most effective preventative is hydroxychloroquine. I know someone who has underlying health issues and will be going back to work in an enclosed area with over 10 people. Their doctor is prescribing the drug as a preventive. Our medical leaders need to be on trial for the misinformation they have given us. Remember they told us masks are ineffective because they didn’t want a run a them? This is the same scenario.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Who says that once cruises are happening there will not be MAJOR adjustments as to number of passengers, social distancing at all venues and buffet service that is totally different.

I am sure they would rather sail with 50% capacity (20% over the break even point) than not to sail at all..

At 50% capacity and with the intelligent use of space social distancing could easily be accomplished..

Everyday I see people standing in line at the store and they have to be reminded of the six foot rule. We have been doing this since the outbreak and they still forget to distance. I imagine it would be worse on the ship since they don't like to have confrontation with the passengers. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Junkhouse said:

Yes I would. But the most effective preventative is hydroxychloroquine. I know someone who has underlying health issues and will be going back to work in an enclosed area with over 10 people. Their doctor is prescribing the drug as a preventive. Our medical leaders need to be on trial for the misinformation they have given us. Remember they told us masks are ineffective because they didn’t want a run a them? This is the same scenario.

I agree totally. I have dispensed HCQ and its earlier forms from 1968 to 1997 when I retired.  

Thousands of doses to people of all ages from all parts of the world...

Never saw or heard of any severe side effects in all those years..

Would I or my wife who is still in practice take it..  YES In a heartbeat...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2020 at 7:18 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

Would you really go on a cruise where you were required to wear a mask anytime out of your cabin including ports?

A few months ago I would say no.

Now I'm so used to wearing it I wouldn't care.  

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 7:36 AM, Junkhouse said:

Why chastise the doctors for something that was not known at the time said? This pandemic is worldwide and all new to them as well as us. All of us learning from past mistakes.

What is known is that except for few isolated worldwide so called studies, Hydroxychloroquine is not effective for this virus. Taking it probably won't hurt but just because you don't get sick, you can't say as fact  it was because you took it.