Will vaccines now be required?

Diamond lover

2 hours ago, OceanCruise said:
  • A total of 1.4 million people died from TB in 2019 (including 208 000 people with HIV). Worldwide, TB is one of the top 10 causes of death and the leading cause from a single infectious agent (above HIV/AIDS).

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tuberculosis

And almost 50% of those TB deaths were in two regions, Africa and South East Asia where widespread TB vaccinations are not available or administered. Travel from the US to most of the counties in these regions require TB vaccinations. Again Covid should not be compared to TB they are two different diseases.

https://tbfacts.org/deaths-from-tb/

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

It looks like the anti vaxers have finally made their presence kwon in this thread. I hope that the cruise industry adopts the be vaccinated or stay home policy so that the anti-vacers must stay home while the rest of us enjoy our cruises. 

I don't mind anti-vaxxers on the CC board, just as long as they aren't allowed aboard any cruise ship.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

Also from WHO:

"About one-quarter of the world's population has a TB infection, which means people have been infected by TB bacteria but are not (yet) ill with the disease and cannot transmit it.

People infected with TB bacteria have a 5–15% lifetime risk of falling ill with TB."

Suggest you take your TB data from 3rd World countries - several of which I needed a CDC Vaccination card to get my Visa to enter that country.  Proof of a TB vaccination is also required in several stated to become a "resident" or employed in care homes because of so many who work are from countries with a high infection rate.

A vaccination is not required.  You just will not be able work work or become a resident in a care home.  You also will not likely be able to travel outside the US - including cruising for a long while.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I don't mind anti-vaxxers on the CC board, just as long as they aren't allowed aboard any cruise ship.

I have to believe most of the anti-vaxxers have not had a friend or loved one die from Covid. As someone who has had both, I can not fathom the idea of anyone not wanting to be vaccinated. Once Covid has personally touched you, your whole reality about the virus changes.

• Like 5

Anyone who chooses not to be vaccinated is within his/her rights.  Those rights do not extend to cruising in that their decision potentially affects the entire ship.   You also have the right to smoke, but only in places where the effect on non-smokers is mitigated.  There is no such place on a cruise ship to limit exposure to anti vaxers. JMHO. 

Edited by marieps
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I have to believe most of the anti-vaxxers have not had a friend or loved one die from Covid. As someone who has had both, I can not fathom the idea of anyone not wanting to be vaccinated. Once Covid has personally touched you, your whole reality about the virus changes.

While our family and friends have not been personally touched by Covid, it is totally beyond my ken how anti-vaxxers can so blindly ignore the realities of the disease.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

While our family and friends have not been personally touched by Covid, it is totally beyond my ken how anti-vaxxers can so blindly ignore the realities of the disease.

I have a colleague, he and his wife, both early 30's, had Covid in mid-April.  While she got quite sick, lost her sense of smell and taste, still has not come back, he got very ill.  Developed complications in his heart and lungs, very healthy strapping young man, which will now require surgery.  Sorry anti-vaxers, this is real, VERY real.  Stay off my ship!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

My wife’s uncle died yesterday from COVID-19, hope vaccine will be required once they are available, be nice to be on a cruise with more sensible passengers. 

• Like 7

22 hours ago, LGW59 said:

3 months, way to early??  200 million with priority?????  Where in the world on the "news" did you see this?  Come on buddy, stop nonsense

A requirement to prove you have been vaccinated 3 months before the sailing is WAY too early.

200 million with priority before 65+ year olds is from the US CDC aired on NBC national news Nov 28, 2020. See the chart here:

CDC.jpg

8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

So had they not gotten Covid, their death would not have been expedited.  Regardless if the had cancer, heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, Covid hastened their death.  Thus Covid WAS the cause.  Now I am really moving on, can't train a horse to jump the rail if he is blind and only has three legs.  

and lastly, no more kool-aid for you!

Just do a little research about excess mortality and you‘ll see that your claim has almost no substance.

https://www.sciencealert.com/2020-has-killed-up-to-200-000-extra-people-in-the-us-so-far

Edited by Yoshikitty

10 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

A requirement to prove you have been vaccinated 3 months before the sailing is WAY too early.

200 million with priority before 65+ year olds is from the US CDC aired on NBC national news Nov 28, 2020. See the chart here:

CDC.jpg

I saw the same graphic and the numbers don't make sense to me.  There are 331 M people in the US.  Is it really true that almost a third are healthcare and essential workers?  Are the 21 million healthcare workers included in the 87 M essential workers?  Is it really true that almost a third of the country have high risk medical conditions?  I wonder what they consider high risk medical conditions?  It seems high to me.  53M over 65 seems right to me, I wonder how many of those people are included in the 100M high risk adults?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I saw the same graphic and the numbers don't make sense to me.  There are 331 M people in the US.  Is it really true that almost a third are healthcare and essential workers?  Are the 21 million healthcare workers included in the 87 M essential workers?  Is it really true that almost a third of the country have high risk medical conditions?  I wonder what they consider high risk medical conditions?  It seems high to me.  53M over 65 seems right to me, I wonder how many of those people are included in the 100M high risk adults?

See the section ‘Groups Considered for Early Vaccination if the Supply is Limited’.  The inclusions in some of the groups can be quite broad.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations-process.html

You can't fix stupid... but you can stop them from boarding a cruise ship. It's so simple yet some wish to complicate it. Covid is the worst infectious disease to hit the world in moden history. Period. It has literally stopped the world in it's tracks. If you want to cruise get the damn vaccine and meet me at the bar so we can toast to the cruise we're about to partake in. Otherwise, dial up the port camera and watch us sail away. 

Don't be 'that' guy. 

• Like 13

19 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

You can't fix stupid... but you can stop them from boarding a cruise ship. It's so simple yet some wish to complicate it. Covid is the worst infectious disease to hit the world in moden history. Period. It has literally stopped the world in it's tracks. If you want to cruise get the damn vaccine and meet me at the bar so we can toast to the cruise we're about to partake in. Otherwise, dial up the port camera and watch us sail away. 

Don't be 'that' guy. 

See you at the Sunset Bar at sail away

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

Just do a little research about excess mortality and you‘ll see that your claim has almost no substance.

https://www.sciencealert.com/2020-has-killed-up-to-200-000-extra-people-in-the-us-so-far

Read the last few lines of the article. The writer states that there have been many more deaths occurred because of the virus. He also said "And it's not over yet."

50 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Why would it matter to you whether anyone else has been vaccinated?

Though I'm suspect of the numbers, especially fatalities, for the next few years I will choose not to board any ship that does not require vaccination.  It's just not worth the risk.  I don't care if others don't get vaccinated.

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

I opined on this question earlier.  Because one infection can can threaten everyone's experience through quarantine and ports turning us away.  Ports would be much more receptive, even Key West I suspect, to a ship sailing with vaxed-only passengers and crew. 

• Like 4

It doesn't matter to me at all tbh.  But I could see it being a requirement to allow passengers to disembark at certain ports so from that aspect hopefully cruise lines make it a policy to have immunization records so passengers that were wise enough to get the vaccine aren't limited option wise by others who refuse to get it.

• Like 4

You've asked that question previously on this thread and have received multiple responses. If you aren't happy with the answers, stop asking the question.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 11/29/2020 at 2:59 PM, OceanCruise said:
  • A total of 1.4 million people died from TB in 2019 (including 208 000 people with HIV). Worldwide, TB is one of the top 10 causes of death and the leading cause from a single infectious agent (above HIV/AIDS).

You are also skipping over critical facts from that same document that show why TB and COVID are not the same:

"But TB is curable and preventable."  

• Like 3

I can see the anti-vaxxers becoming the new dismissed minority for their ignorance.  once approved and widely available, COVID 19 Vaccine  requirements will be mandatory for most international and even some domestic travel. If you want to be an anti-vaxxer and stay confined to your home or state for the next few years that is just fine, but we do not want to hear one complaint about it. We all live and die by the life decisions we make.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, d9704011 said:

See the section ‘Groups Considered for Early Vaccination if the Supply is Limited’.  The inclusions in some of the groups can be quite broad.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations-process.html

My wife falls under 2 of those conditions whereas I'm only under one of them:

• People at high risk for severe COVID-19 illness due to underlying medical conditions
  • People 65 years and older

My wife is older than 65 and we both are diabetic.

Be that as it may, our only concern right now is being able to get vaccinated by the end of June, which I believe will be very possible.  Not only to provide us with the potential protection, but, for purely selfish reasons, we have a cruise where the final payment is due on July 29th.  I'll pay it if we're vaccinated by then.  If not, I cancel and move forward with a "back up" cruise that we have booked.  I won't take the position of "well, we might be vaccinated by the cruise..."  The only way we cruise now is with a vaccine being available and we've definitely been inoculated.  What others do is up to them. But I hope people aren't idiots and ignore science.  (Yeah, I know.....)