The Daily for Saturday Feb 13, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!

We're all settled in here for the "winter blast" this weekend.  The snow started last night and will continue through tomorrow, coming down steadily.  And here we thought we may not get any snow this winter. My daffodils thought the same. 😉 "Real feel" temps are in the teens.

It definitely is a good weekend to stay in and watch movies.  We get a couple DVDs a month from Netflix, but lately have been watching old episodes of Monk (which we had never watched before but was recommended by a friend) and loving them.  

That wine is one of my favorites, but only if it's off dry.  Will pass on the dinner, but don't know what we'll have tonight.  It definitely will be something I can put together, as we won't be going anywhere today!

Yesterday was interesting....DH's car had a dead battery (his trunk had been left open in the garage all night!).  He pulled my car out of the garage to jump the battery and MY car died!  Mine has a new battery, so DH was fit to be tied. USAA roadside assistance was out within the hour and all was well.  As it turned out, when they put my new battery in, they didn't tighten the cables properly, and that's why we had 2 dead batteries.  I told DH that the morning of the 18th (the day of our 2nd shots) we need to make sure we have one car running lol!

@rafinmdit's so good to have you back.  

@cruisemom42your photos could have been taken by me, we saw the same sites during our last cruise.  (fall 2019, sniff sniff)

@Seasick Sailor I'm so sorry to hear about the death and expected passing of your friends. 😞  

@DeeniEncinitasHappy Anniversary!  DH also left for Viet Nam soon after our wedding.  Scary times!  We were onboard the Nieuw Statendam for our 50th and Capt. O'Driscoll did our vow renewal in 2019.  

Have a great day everyone, stay warm, and if you have to go out, wear your masks. 🙂  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I had not planned to have 2 strait sunrises from my 2012 Zaandam Southeast Asia cruise, but after 2 unexpected days in the hospital it is happening.  On February 13, 2012, the Zaandam visited Na Trang, Vietnam.

goodamvietnam.jpg

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

To

A sad few days. Our friends and her 100 year old mom got Covid early this week. Her mom passed away Thursday. Our friend Gary went by ambulance to hospital Thursday evening and is not expected to survive. 

Joy

Joy

I am so sorry. Keeping you, your friends and their families in my prayers.❤️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A sad few days. Our friends and her 100 year old mom got Covid early this week. Her mom passed away Thursday. Our friend Gary went by ambulance to hospital Thursday evening and is not expected to survive. 

That is so sad 😢 So sorry to hear this.

Please accept our condolences.  Your friends and you are in our thoughts and prayers ❤️ 🙏🏻 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@smitty34877 and @ger_77 I never liked my name either - Deborah.   It was such a mouthful for a little kid to say.  I didn't like Debbie either.  I thought it sounded dorky.  When I was young I wanted to change my name to Amy.   Turns out my dad had an Aunt Amy who had offered to pay my college tuition if he and mom named me Amy.   They passed on it as they didn't want to name any of us after relatives.  They were afraid those who weren't included would feel snubbed.  

@DeeniEncinitasHappy, Happy Anniversary!   Celebrate the best you can under the circumstances.  You can make up for it next year.

@Seasick Sailor I am so sorry to hear about your friends.  My condolences.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  @rafinmd Roy, it’s nice to see you back taking care of our lists.  You were missed, but the important thing is to take care of yourself first.

The wine today is one of two white wines I like.  I noticed the other day, it is getting close to time to replenish my stash.  Before Christmas, I could buy it for $6.99 a bottle at a couple of stores in Blythe.  After the first of the year, it had gone up about $1:30 a bottle at the big box store in Parker; so it might be more in Blythe now.  That won’t stop me from getting more.

No wall paper for us.  We haven’t had any since we moved 22 years ago.

I never had a nickname, but I do go by my middle name.  After 9/11, I had to add my first name to all documents, passport, insurance and cruise bookings.  I am finally realizing people are talking to me when they use my first name.  😀

@DeeniEncinitas  Happy Anniversary to you and David.  🥂

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, very sorry about your friends and her mom.  This is such a wicked virus.  Even though you and Allen are out of quarantine, please stay safe and wear your masks.

@mamaofami  Hope you have better luck next week and your DH gets his appointments.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Top of the morning Rich. Thanks for the Daily and helping Roy for a few days.

Dear Roy, it was so sweet to see your post today. I know you are in good shape with walking and watching your diet. Allen had a new heart valve and aneurism repaired a few years ago and he's doing so much better. We are out of isolation so please remove me from the care list. Thank you. 

Our ice storm has wreaked havoc on our new trees and shrubs. Expect zero temps which is especially unusual for Central Texas. Crazy!

Prayers and Cheers,

Joy

OMGOSH Joy!! ❤️I am so sorry to hear this! So tragic. Love wings your way and prayers to you and your dear friends. This is hard times for all in our nation!

GOD BLESS ALL!

D

• Like 12

Joy, this is so sad and I am sorry for the loss of your friend’s mother. Praying for your friend Gary. The family must be in such stress and grief right now. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 8

I'm happy for your release but oh so sad for so many of your friends.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kazu said:

LOL on the quote - that’s about the only change of scene a lot of us are having right now 😉 Unless of course, you have a dog who helps paper in the bad way:

25F33040-1E69-4985-A065-B5016570157F.jpeg.7ea6015ef2543192e52a78acffee2a20.jpeg

This cracked me up, Blue has done this, not so much anymore though. Now he loves the tubes from used paper towel rolls and toilet paper rolls. 

EC1B1AAA-698D-4E34-A666-EE6307CE6DCD.thumb.jpeg.931bd9737d7b214ee45af80a971d26c4.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My brother's  name is actually Donald but he has always used his middle name Roger.  He had a third surgery this morning.

Roy

I  am  so  sorry  to  hear  about  Roger's third  surgery. I  hope  all  will  be  well  with  both  of  you  soon. As others  have  said, it  is  good  to  have  a  plan  for  the  heart valve. DH  underwent  that  and  bypass  surgery  and  has  been  in  good  shape  ever  since.

And Joy,  so  sorry  to  hear  of  your  friend  in  the  hospital and  the  other  friend  passing. These   are  hard  times. There  is  a  lot  of  support  here  for  everyone  and  it  is  a  beautiful  thing.

Terry     And  DenniEncinitas! Happy  Anniversary!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.

We remain cold here, with snow coming tomorrow night through Tuesday. Fortunately all my medical appointments were last week and I have no where important to go next week.

Hmmmm, unusual days. No nickname and no middle name.

Both the drink and the wine choice sound good. Not sure what's for dinner.

@rafinmd Nice to see you back here. Prayers for your brother's 3rd surgery.

@DeeniEncinitas Happy Anniversary!

@Seasick Sailor How sad for your friends and her Mom. Prayers for all.

@mamaofami Sorry that appointment got messed up. Our county is opening a new site and people could try to sign up at 9AM today. I have friends who are trying and hope they got one.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask(s).

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Finally back to the Daily after some really long vaccine clinics.  We were at the hospital at 0630 yesterday to set up for a 0700 clinic.  People were already lined up by 0640.  Once again, we used up our allotment of second doses for Pfizer.  Another team set up a very large first dose Moderna clinic at an abandoned K-Mart.  Didn't read the Daily until after 8 last night.  

The first 5 or 6 clinics were for first dose and there was NO complaining.  It was so super to see the smiles as we registered folks.  Now that we are doing second doses at some clinics, the mood has changed.  I got cussed out three times yesterday because I had the audacity to ask them to fill out another consent form.  It is only a few items including date of birth and an attestation that they had no reaction to first dose then a signature.  I will be so happy when this pandemic is over.  I REALLY need a cruise...

Had to chuckle at the name thread.  From childhood through high school, I was called Mac from my middle name MacMillan.  I got to college and they called roll based on your first given name thus the change to Leon.  None of my high school buddies never knew me by that name so reunions were interesting.  Got some ribbing from family as well.  I really never cared which name was used and answer to both.

PLEASE wear a mask...

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

😊 Good Morning Saturday and Thank You for the Daily! 🙂

We haven't been to a movie theater in ages🎫 ---just enjoying Netflix, etc. and that's fine.🤓

Actually, probably watched the most TV ever during the pandemic and reading books 📚 (listening to audio, too).  I'm really into different genres during the challenging times and using the public library downloads. The Libby App is a good option since our libraries are closed.  I finished The Orphan Collector last week and it's good insight into the Spanish Flu of 1918. 👀

🙏 Prayers to all you are in need. 🙏

Movie.jpg

• Like 18

Good morning all, and thanks to Rich, Roy and the drinks and recipe ladies!  Happy 50th anniversary to @DeeniEncinitas and her DH!  Congratulations for those doing well and sympathy for those ailing.  

It is eerily quiet here today.  When it snows in Victoria everything stops.  It helps that it is Saturday.  Pat had to shovel his way out to the stand to re-hang the hummingbird feeders, but his little friend was waiting for him.  He has just had to go out again to unclog the holes.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

PLEASE wear a mask...

I SO worry that many people will develop a renewed resistance to masks once THEY have been vaccinated.  It's part of a multi-faceted solution rather than the final answer.

Roy

• Like 20

It's good to see you back, Roy! Continues prayers for you & Roger.

I can tell when I met my friends by the name they use for me -- from childhood through high school my friends use my given name, from college forward they use my nickname.

DH & I went to see the orthopaedic oncologist yesterday. Now that his radiation treatments are finished, the plan is to rebuild his ankle, using "donor" bone and a lot of plates, pins & screws. In the meantime, he can't put any weight on the ankle for fear it will fracture. We're hoping the surgery can be scheduled soon, so he can walk again!

Edi (formerly known as Edith Anne -- really!)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1