Vaccine Requirement News

Those vaccines have official (not expedited or emergency) approvals in some countries. Our country (Switzerland) is one of the most advanced countries regarding science (including health care) and two vaccines are offficially approved: Pfizer and Moderna. The process for approval is very strict and thorough. For instance, AstraZeneca has not been approved yet.

It looks weird to me that some here are denying the vaccines only because that they haven’t been officially approved in the US FDA yet. While I understand that people are skeptical, we should look at the science. There is a lot of data around, especially from Israel (Pfizer) and the results are better than anyone expected 6 months ago.

Take care!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

You're statistically  more likely to die of way more things in life than Covid.

Incidentally this wasn't true when Covid was raging.  According to the Kaiser Health Tracker:

"As of February 20, 2021, an average of more than 2,400 people per day died of COVID-19 in the U.S. during February 2021. That number is staggering compared to other leading causes of death and is nearly 20% higher than the next leading cause. Heart disease, which is typically the number one cause of death in the U.S. each year, leads to the death of about 2,000 Americans per day, and cancer claims about 1,600 American lives per day."

We need to keep it from raging again.  Glad you're getting vaccinated!

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

And that's without going into the fact that, on average, people who died had 3.8 co-morbidities.

Maybe you are not saying this, but some people claim that the existence of comorbidities artificially inflates covid death count with deaths that shouldn't be attributed to covid.  That's not true, unless they're talking about the occasional error.

For example, suppose someone has only one lung, gets covid, and dies of lung inflammation caused by covid.  That is legitimately counted as a covid-caused death.  Same with other common comorbidities.  Those people might have died of heart disease, diabetes etc. someday, but covid caused them to die, perhaps years early.  Surely they should count!

Of course there are also cases where a person tested positive but the comorbidity got them before covid did, so they aren't counted.

https://www.livescience.com/how-covid-19-deaths-are-counted.html

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes

1 hour ago, andreasfcb said:

Those vaccines have official (not expedited or emergency) approvals in some countries. Our country (Switzerland) is one of the most advanced countries regarding science (including health care) and two vaccines are offficially approved: Pfizer and Moderna. The process for approval is very strict and thorough. For instance, AstraZeneca has not been approved yet.

It looks weird to me that some here are denying the vaccines only because that they haven’t been officially approved in the US FDA yet. While I understand that people are skeptical, we should look at the science. There is a lot of data around, especially from Israel (Pfizer) and the results are better than anyone expected 6 months ago.

Take care!

Here in America we have celebrity antivaxxers, a few left wing antivaxxers  and a few right wing antivaxxers. The anti science types are all over the political spectrum. However most of the right, center and left is getting vaccinated. Really, there are not that many whack a doodles. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Just surviving isn't the only concern. There is associated risk of mental health issues for covid survivors.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brain-idUSKBN2BT2ZI

I'm as much or even more concerned for Kids Mental Health out of School and no Play Dates for over a year. Know it's really effected more then a couple my 34 Nieces and Nephews. Multiple Family Members had Covid, all Mild w/no lasting issues. Me 55yr old, have 10 younger Brother/Sisters ages 34-54, we all got Vaccine's. I was last getting my 2nd last Saturday. Shot's had me and my 30yr old Daughter down for 2 days, 102 & 103 Fever, she had long lasting "Covid Arm" after her 1st one

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

I can see the necessity for doing Covid testing just prior to cruising, but carte blanche vaccination is another animal entirely. At risk individuals voluntarily getting the vaccine makes sense, but perfectly healthy people? Not so sure. How come medical doctors are reporting that this "spike" protein in the vaccine could compromise your body's immune system for protection from future viruses? If this is survivable, similar to flu or cold... shouldn't it be an optional vaccine? I think the fear of the unknown or what "could" happen has caused people to jump on the vaccine as the panacea for all mankind. Doesn't "herd immunity" also come from people being exposed to the virus and developing serum antibodies? I am on the fence about this one... 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

If someone could produce reliable, verifiable data that a LOT of people died due to Covid who were otherwise perfectly healthy, I'd be happy to revise my point of view. But even 10,000-20,000 people, for example, out of the 5 billion + on this planet is not relevant, from a statistical POV (even though their deaths ARE relevant from a humanitarian one).

Weekly deaths above and below normal since March 15, 2020

United States

March 15 – Feb. 20

REPORTED COVID-19 DEATHS

TOTAL EXCESS DEATHS

TOTAL ABOVE NORMAL

21%

Here ya go
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

Weekly deaths above and below normal since March 15, 2020

United States

March 15 – Feb. 20

REPORTED COVID-19 DEATHS

TOTAL EXCESS DEATHS

TOTAL ABOVE NORMAL

21%

Here ya go

Where is this from? It's just a blank page with a few statistics, for all I know you just made it up.

1 hour ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

You use 65 as a reference age.  There are about 50 million people over 65 in the US.  Add the younger people with comorbiditiies, and maybe there are 75-100 million at-risk people.  Are you suggesting that, when it comes to lockdown policy, their deaths shouldn't count?  

I use 65 because, since last year we have seen that the most vulnerable populations are those over 65. Yet even among that group, best as I can recollect, the survival rate is 95%. NINETY-FIVE PERCENT. Hardly worth locking down everyone. When we look at the toll the lock downs have taken, I could easily ask you the same question. Should their deaths not count? BTW I detest the cheap emotional ploy that question obviously is designed to evoke. Everyone's death counts. Obviously.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

When we look at the toll the lock downs have taken, I could easily ask you the same question. Should their deaths not count? BTW I detest the cheap emotional ploy that question obviously is designed to evoke. Everyone's death counts. Obviously.

My sincere apologies for not stating this better. I certainly didn't mean to imply that you or anyone thinks that deaths aren't important.

So my sentence was:

Are you suggesting that, when it comes to lockdown policy, their deaths shouldn't count?

I actually meant 'shouldn't count' literally.  I got the impression that you were arguing that covid death numbers among at-risk folks shouldn't be a major factor in determining lockdown policy. 

Here's what I wish I had written:

Are you suggesting that lockdowns should be mostly determined by the low death rates among young, healthy people, as opposed to the higher death rates among the 75-100 million older and at-risk people? 

If so, I am skeptical, but for all I know there may be studies supporting this idea.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Pfizer officially petitions the CDC, this afternoon, to expand the EUA to 12 years old and up.

And J&J is having production/distribution issues. Shipments should drop 80% next week. 

Not a big deal since some states are halting innoculations due to adverse reactions.

Or so I saw on TV tonight

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

And J&J is having production/distribution issues. Shipments should drop 80% next week. 

Not a big deal since some states are halting innoculations due to adverse reactions.

Or so I saw on TV tonight

Was it a J&J facility that incorrectly mixed a vaccine compund?

6 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Just google excess deaths US 2020. Pick you preferred news source. Data will be from death certificates submitted to CDC. Pick any other year. Other years will show spikes from bad flu seasons, etc. 

Here are the CDC's calculations of excess deaths-scroll down for graph. Note it takes a few weeks for death certificates etc to be counted.

Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19 (cdc.gov)

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

I believe so

Something like that happened with Salk vaccine. 120,000 bad doses created a man made epidemic

Edited by John&LaLa

14 hours ago, broberts said:

It wasn’t a J&J facility. It was a 3rd party manufacturer that was contracted to make the J&J vaccine (really unprecedented that J&J has shared the recipe to the “secret sauce” to outside mfg. to increase capacity) 

This factory also had a contract to produce Astra Zeneca, they mixed up some steps between the 2 processes. 

This factory lost their J&J contract. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

You need to extremely careful when analysing the data.

Out of the last 50 years 2020 ranks 35th for mortality in the UK

The links you posted covers the period 2014-2019 and there is no mention that for the UK we had 2 years where mortality in the UK was dramatically lower than the norm skewing the data lower for the 5 year average. 

The data is not wrong but should be taken with reference to wider data sets.   

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

You need to extremely careful when analysing the data.

Out of the last 50 years 2020 ranks 35th for mortality in the UK

The links you posted covers the period 2014-2019 and there is no mention that for the UK we had 2 years where mortality in the UK was dramatically lower than the norm skewing the data lower for the 5 year average. 

The data is not wrong but should be taken with reference to wider data sets.   

Cherry Picking is always done when a case is weak. Everyone talks about Diamond Princess when there were likely well over a hundred other of cruise ships out there.