The Debbie Downers have been right all along

wesport

12 hours ago, dfish said:

No, the pope said if no other vaccine was available, the J&J was fine.  Meaning if all the vaccination site has is J&J, take it.  He said there is a larger moral obligation to be vaccinated and help protect our fellow man.

It all depends on who they listen to.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2021/03/09/what-the-catholic-church-has-said-about-the-johnson-johnson-vaccine-politifact/

Here is some quick and dirty vaccine compliance stats, these are not the ones I commented on earlier this week but serve the same purpose.  Please note the childhood rates are as of 2017 for children at 24 months.  The childhood vaccine rate at entry to school is even higher.  The adult over 65 is 2015 when the shingles vaccine was still fairly new.  They both show a high level of compliance.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/immunize.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db281.htm

The issue should not be labeling people as "downers" or "divas."  We should all be following the rules designed to get veering through this crisis.  Shopping in the supermarket a month ago young couple in front of us at checkout, she obviously in her third trimester and he laking fun of people wearing masks, to include the cashier and bagger.  Politics and false statements by politicians are the primary source of RumInt (rumor intelligence) not based on facts.  "The virus will bypass the US"  "Americans will not be infected"  Etc.  

The good news is that we appear to have muddled through.  Except fo a few exception, like South Florida and Spring Break, cases are generally decreasing across the US even if increasing in some parts of Europe, South Asia, South America and Africa.  We, all of js, need to keep pushing against this virus.

We like to cruise.  Have lived overseas, visited all 7 continents, lived behind the former "Iron Curtain," and understand the situation and looking forward to returning to travel in 2022 (three cruises booked), and have been vaccinated to meet all the international criteria.  We are in tis together.  No one is a "diva' or "downer."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Here is some quick and dirty vaccine compliance stats, these are not the ones I commented on earlier this week but serve the same purpose.  Please note the childhood rates are as of 2017 for children at 24 months.  The childhood vaccine rate at entry to school is even higher.  The adult over 65 is 2015 when the shingles vaccine was still fairly new.  They both show a high level of compliance.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/immunize.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db281.htm

Why are comparing childhood vaccinations to Covid? Not the same thing as Covid which has been politicized with too many distorted facts. Covid is not a childhood disease.  The final results will be too many anti-vaxxers refusing to do what is right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The good news is that we appear to have muddled through.  Except fo a few exception, like South Florida and Spring Break, cases are generally decreasing across the US even if increasing in some parts of Europe, South Asia, South America and Africa.

I hate to get involved in this thread and hate to quote the Washington Post, since the fact based media irritates half the population, but their covid tracker has the seven day average of cases up 8.2% for the USA as a whole while deaths are down 0.5% and hospitalizations are down 0.3%. My state is doing worse. I have no reason to think that the USA will not see the same surge that Europe is seeing.

I think the Post's covid info is not behind a firewall:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, whogo said:

I ... hate to quote the Washington Post, since the fact based media irritates half the population...

Fact based media--I love it! I'll start referring to the FBM in response to folks who parrot the MSM meme.

I'll follow it with a "©whogo", of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Why are comparing childhood vaccinations to Covid? Not the same thing as Covid which has been politicized with too many distorted facts. Covid is not a childhood disease.  The final results will be too many anti-vaxxers refusing to do what is right.

Oh, no.  Childhood vaccines have been highly politicized  and are the very root of the anti Vaccers starting far back in the 1960s.  I have followed that horrid distortion for decades.  Watched through measles outbreaks and more.  Watched as school boards around the country starting allowing non-vaccinated youngsters into schools.  I am a measles survivor, barely, having suffered to near death as a child and this topic has been on my radar for a very long time.   Yet through it all the vast majority of people still get vaccinated. 

anyway this was a follow up to a comment I made earlier saying I think the anti-vaxxer position is being overblown and that I would provide citations to that comment.  I will reiterate for you.  Once the vaccine supply is stable to even a glut and it is easy to walk-in for a vaccination the rates will soar. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

It's a numbers thing.

Anti-vaxxers DON'T vaccinate their kids for much of anything so if childhood vaccine rates remain high enough in our nation to insure herd immunity, we can be assured that any reticence to get the Covid vaccine is not true anti-vaxxer sentiment but simple vaccine hesitancy which thankfully can be overcome by education and experience.

Vaccine hesitancy in people who have no issue with the normal vaccines we all are used to  (as opposed to anti-vaxxers) however is something that can be countered with them simply seeing  a) good outcomes for vaccinated people and society and b) the fact that getting vaccinated offers more opportunity of freedom... and who doesn't want more (safe) freedom after the year from hell. Many are simply waiting and watching. 

Believe me, I have known many anti-vaxxers. They will even argue against getting a tetanus vaccine. And being a home school mom of nearly 20 years I have met them from every corner of religion, philosophy, and political belief. No one group holds a monopoly.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

So is the Head of the CDC a Debbie Downer?  She stated that we are heading for impending doom.  https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/cdc-chief-warns-us-headed-for-impending-doom-as-covid-cases-rise-again-right-now-im-scared-.html

For those who think the CDC is holding back cruises, just remember that CDC stands for Centers for Disease Control, not Center for Development of Cruise lines.   I for one am glad they are focusing on disease control, not cruise development.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

So is the Head of the CDC a Debbie Downer?  She stated that we are heading for impending doom.  https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/cdc-chief-warns-us-headed-for-impending-doom-as-covid-cases-rise-again-right-now-im-scared-.html

I don't like what I heard, her tone of voice, nor what I saw of her non-verbal body language.

Coupling that with what I am learning locally about the reluctance of people taking the vaccine and with the data that shows Ohio is no longer on the down trending side of the reported infections, I wonder, that "light at the end of the tunnel" has started to become more dim.  

I believe that the notion that covid will soom be behind us is incredibly naive.   There is a long road ahead. 

People need to take a hard look at the numbers and the trends.  In North America and around the world.

Edited by iancal

41 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't like what I heard, her tone of voice, nor what I saw of her non-verbal body language.

Coupling that with what I am learning locally about the reluctance of people taking the vaccine and with the data that shows Ohio is no longer on the down trending side of the reported infections, I wonder, that "light at the end of the tunnel" has started to become more dim.  

She was giving everyone a warning to mask and be careful and rightfully so.

There is a potential 4th wave IF people don’t take precautions.  that means everyone.

the light at the end of the tunnel will come IF people do what needs to be done.  If they don’t, it will be a long haul as vaccines can’t be fast enough in people’s arms to keep up with  developing variants.

She gave a dire warning and with good reason. We’ve had the same warning here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

the light at the end of the tunnel will come IF people do what needs to be done.  If they don’t, it will be a long haul as vaccines can’t be fast enough in people’s arms to keep up with  developing variants.

And, this is what concerns me.  It's the IF.  In recent days, I am hearing too many say:  "no, I am not accepting the vaccine" for reasons that are illogical.  A friend of mine has three M.D. friends who experienced unpleasant reactions to taking whatever vaccine they received.  Now, she has decided to not take the vaccine of whatever brand.  

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Discussion about the 'light at the end of the tunnel' has been going on for some time now. Problem is that the tunnel keeps getting longer and longer depending on who is using the metaphor at the time.

• Like 2

Some vaccine news to help the worry warts with their anxiety

First the vaccine prevent infection not only symptoms 

from the CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7013e3.htm?s_cid=mm7013e3_x

from the popular press

https://www.cnet.com/health/pfizer-and-moderna-vaccines-80-effective-at-preventing-covid-19-after-one-shot-cdc-says/

also Pfizer vaccine effective against new variant

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-strain-detected-israel-pfizer-125202409.html

• Like 3

So funny...I'm much more worried about the choices the cruise lines make in restarting than I am about what the Florida governor does.  They've got to have the enhanced medical care onboard, repatriation plans, etc., etc.   And not just say they've got state-of-the-art this and that, blah, blah, blah.  I want specifics.

Our California governor gave a heck of a time to a ship last year, too.  Their first priority is to their citizens.

All in all, glad to see those guys gathered at the table.  It was a very interesting video to watch.

• Like 4