The Debbie Downers have been right all along

wesport

I am afraid I know where this theory about the vaccine changing DNA was started, or at least spread from...There was a priest who got his Sunday sermon out on the web. He was saying that the Moderna vaccine was going to rewrite our RNA/DNA . I saw the video, it was the most foolish, ignorant rant I have ever seen. But a lot of Catholics shared the video, and those who have little understanding of science or the nature of vaccines, took it as serious science and believed this man. I don't know if he was repeating what had been told to him. I do not know his motives. But I do know my own family members have believed this man whole heartedly. They have extended their fear of the Moderna vaccine to ALL the vaccines. It really saddens me they won't get the shots. I am getting mine, first dose today! Cruise in November! YAY!!!!

• Like 2

When it comes to our health decisions we follow the advice of medical professionals and scientists.

Faith leaders, politicians, the Dr. Facebook types, conspiracy theorists, and ju ju men all fall into the same group with us.  Their opinions are not worthy of consideration to us on this subject.

Feel the same about my cousin's neighbors sister's friend who supposedly KNOWS!

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2021 at 7:53 PM, expectGREATthings said:

I think there's a game changer in the works being a therapeudic called Molnupiravir. It's a five day set of pills similar to how you'd take a Z-Pak. It's been shown to stop the virus in Covid positive patients. It's possible that it could be released in as little as six months. The ships could carry this in the case of urgent need. So there's another glimmer of hope. As far as where will the ships be able to go, that's a great question. Maybe their private islands and more sea days? That's a tough question. But really only time will tell.

Michael

We have several Canadian friends (from Puerto Vallarta) that started on this therapy back in January.  The drug (which is an anti parasitic) is readily available in Mexico and elsewhere.  Our friends have enough credibility that I did spend a few hours looking for info on Molnupiravir and decided that this was not for me (I prefer to avoid drugs unless necessary).   The scientific vote is still out on this drug for COVID which has yet to complete any acceptable study protocols for COVID.   One must always be careful about "anecdotal evidence" until there is some decent double blind studies to support the claims.  And this would not be something you could just take once or twice.  In theory you would have to take it forever to prevent COVID.  And like most anti-parasitics it does have some side-effects (most anti parasitics give me ongoing GI discomfort).  Perhaps it will prove to be an acceptable therapy for early COVID (similar to using Tamiflu for early flu) but that is still a question.

Hank

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I started as an optimist and thought this would be over in six months but it kept on, I am still hopeful our Rotterdam cruise in October will happen, but vaccinations are not going fast enough in Europe right now. We get our jabs on Friday. 

Congrats on the jab.  We are currently tweeners, one jab down, one to go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I started as an optimist and thought this would be over in six months but it kept on, I am still hopeful our Rotterdam cruise in October will happen, but vaccinations are not going fast enough in Europe right now. We get our jabs on Friday. 

We get our second jabs next Tuesday. My city of San Antonio is doing a great job with getting us all vaccinated. Two weeks ago Texas dropped mask mandates and opened all businesses 100%. In Mid January before widespread vaccinations, San Antonio was averaging 2000+ positive cases a day, in the two weeks since Texas opened up we our 7 day rolling average is less than 200. Our Debbie Downer city leaders do not like low these numbers, they wanted to keep us locked down for another 6 months.  

Here is a story about the low rates from a local online  newspaper that backs up our low numbers.

COVID Updates: New COVID cases remain low two weeks after end of mask mandate (mysanantonio.com)

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here's the real reason why Debbie is right. Its the minority that is sabotaging our covid response. Delaying the return to normal. Don't blame the CDC.

The people of BC are great, 95% compliance with safety guidelines. Its the tiny minority (2-5%) who are bleeding us. Back at the beginning, we flatten the curve (see chart below) in just 3 weeks.

That's the work of the 95%. The other 5% didn't matter because there were so few cases circulating.

Unfortunately, during autumn, travel resumed and cases jumped (see graph below). That's the work of the 5%, circulating the virus.

Public opinion is hardening, and confrontations are increasing.

https://www.straight.com/covid-19-pandemic/physical-altercation-arises-between-canadian-tire-staff-and-maskless-customer-in

The number of anti-maskers are decreasing. At the last 'big' rally at the Vancouver Art Gallery, there were only 300 supporters.

Unfortunately, the careless tend to be young and social (see chart below Ages 20-39). Our cases per day up to 700. Cases/day almost back to the December high.

No end in sight, until Public Health learns to reward the 95% instead of the 5%.

Right now, retail is a disaster in the low traffic areas. Debbie is going to be right until the government switches to a winning strategy. Flattening the curve only makes sense for the first wave. Co-existence with covid is a disaster when even 5% of us are non-compliant.

My expectation is that 80% of adult Canadians will vax by August. But, that leaves 20% not vaccinated. What's the ratio in your state?

BC flattens curve first 3 weeks.JPG

BC covid cases March 25.JPG

BC covid cases age March 25.JPG

I think the talk about anti-vaxxers is overblown.  Once there is an abundant supply and a possible surplus and it becomes easy to get a vaccine you will see the numbers soar.  Already they are going to let dentists administer vaccines.  Outlets will multiply and so will vaccination rates.  

• Like 4

If you have close to 100% vaccination of the vulnerable(elderly and co morbid conditions) hospitalizations and deaths will decline dramatically. That’s what’s important. Nobody will  be terribly concerned if there are a huge number of mild cases. Except epidemiologists. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, tosteve1 said:

If you have close to 100% vaccination of the vulnerable(elderly and co morbid conditions) hospitalizations and deaths will decline dramatically. That’s what’s important. Nobody will  be terribly concerned if there are a huge number of mild cases. Except epidemiologists. 

The problem is the new variants are more infectious and  appear more lethal.  Most of the cases are under 65and our hospital numbers are again on the rise in many parts of Canada.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think the talk about anti-vaxxers is overblown.  Once there is an abundant supply and a possible surplus and it becomes easy to get a vaccine you will see the numbers soar.  Already they are going to let dentists administer vaccines.  Outlets will multiply and so will vaccination rates.  

Depending on polls, the anti-vaxxers are going to be 30-40% who will never get vaccinated.  Unfortunately even in the over 65 population 100% vaccinated is a pipe dream. My wife and I fall into the over 65 group and we have been vaccinated  but I have too many friends who say they never will. I say if you are an anti-vaxxer, it's your choice  but you will be staying home while the rest of us travel for the next 2 years or so

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, bennybear said:

The problem is the new variants are more infectious and  appear more lethal.  Most of the cases are under 65and our hospital numbers are again on the rise in many parts of Canada.  

This is exactly what we are are experiencing where we live.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Depending on polls, the anti-vaxxers are going to be 30-40% who will never get vaccinated.  Unfortunately even in the over 65 population 100% vaccinated is a pipe dream. My wife and I fall into the over 65 group and we have been vaccinated  but I have too many friends who say they never will. I say if you are an anti-vaxxer, it's your choice  but you will be staying home while the rest of us travel for the next 2 years or so

Since I am traveling today I cannot easily post my citations but I will try to circle back round later this week.  I looked at the CDC data recently.   95% of children are fully vaccinated for their first day of school in the US.   That to me speaks of strong compliance.  Worldwide the CDC uses the TDP vaccine to gauge vaccination coverage.  In a report they indicate 86% of people have received that vaccine where there is a healthcare system.   I think a lot of people are squawking because they have “no skin in the game”.  Once that vaccine is widely available familial and social pressure will mount and they will quietly get their vaccines.  I have a friend who is an affirmed anti-vaxxers, they are simply using this brief moment to spread their message.  Like other alternative therapies their influence will wain when the success of this endeavor is apparent.  That is why you can’t keep people locked down.  If there is no incentive there will be a lack of motivation 

Edited by Mary229

If people don’t want to get vaccinated they will eventually get the virus.  And they will get some level of immunity that way instead. I’m pretty sure all the evidence shows that the numbers of hospitalized under 65s will be substantially less than the older folks. Not zero, of course. But enough to keep society hostage on “lockdown”  because of irresponsible people?  Lets hope not! Lets get as many people vaccinated as we possibly can and get back to doing the things we love with the (vaccinated) people we love. Not today but soon.  I’m not going to worry about or put my family’s life on hold any more for those who choose not to.get the shot.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tosteve1 said:

But enough to keep society hostage on “lockdown”  because of irresponsible people

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Depending on polls, the anti-vaxxers are going to be 30-40% who will never get vaccinated. 

These two posters are expressing what I am starting to fear. 

There is so much disinformation "out there" about the vaccines that even in the condo complex in which I live--where there are many senior citizens--I am hearing:  NO.  I am not taking this vaccine.  And, the reasons are not always valid.  Today, one woman told me that she "learned"  that the J&J vaccine was the cause of fetuses being aborted (and she is very strongly pro-life).  

Ohio's very good progress in getting our Covid cases down has now plateaued, but is starting to rise again.  

Are these people who refuse the vaccine, who get information from non-scientific sources, will they be responsible for why I have to keep wearing a mask that impacts the quality of MY life?  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There is so much disinformation "out there" about the vaccines that even in the condo complex in which I live--where there are many senior citizens--I am hearing:  NO.  I am not taking this vaccine.  And, the reasons are not always valid.  Today, one woman told me that she "learned"  that the J&J vaccine was the cause of fetuses being aborted (and she is very strongly pro-life).  

Ohio's very good progress in getting our Covid cases down has now plateaued, but is starting to rise again.  

Are these people who refuse the vaccine, who get information from non-scientific sources, will they be responsible for why I have to keep wearing a mask that impacts the quality of MY life?  

The Catholic Church has come out against the J&J vaccine.

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

And, the reasons are not always valid not even 1%

Do the cruise lines really want to sail with half capacity?  I know that Celebrity and RCCL are going to try it, but what if people don't want to go under these conditions?  Having to fly to St Martin and fulfill their testing requirements before even getting to the ship, and then having to test again before flying home are not all that inviting.  And maybe get a "false positive" at either end of the whole thing which complicates your trip and all of those traveling with you.

This is like when you get to visit a place and it is absolutely wonderful.  You go back and it is enjoyable.  You go again and it is okay.  Then you go and you wonder why you did it because it is not at all the way you remembered it to be.   Although a cruise with no children might be more enjoyable.

We all want to cruise again like IT USED TO BE.  Maybe that will never happen.  Who knows?  Certainly not me.🤔🤔🤔🤔😷😷😷😷

13 minutes ago, teacherman said:

Do the cruise lines really want to sail with half capacity?  I know that Celebrity and RCCL are going to try it, but what if people don't want to go under these conditions?  Having to fly to St Martin and fulfill their testing requirements before even getting to the ship, and then having to test again before flying home are not all that inviting.  And maybe get a "false positive" at either end of the whole thing which complicates your trip and all of those traveling with you.

This is like when you get to visit a place and it is absolutely wonderful.  You go back and it is enjoyable.  You go again and it is okay.  Then you go and you wonder why you did it because it is not at all the way you remembered it to be.   Although a cruise with no children might be more enjoyable.

We all want to cruise again like IT USED TO BE.  Maybe that will never happen.  Who knows?  Certainly not me.🤔🤔🤔🤔😷😷😷😷

I wondered this myself...if they can make the bottom line with the reduced number of passengers...or even if they can entice that lesser numbers of passengers.  

My guess is there was much discussion and negotiation between the cruise lines and CDC before this latest announcement and the cruise lines just couldn't make it work under stringent guidelines.  It's all just sad and disappointing.   

We're making plans for a land vacation in Hawaii.  The beat goes on....

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Really? Our bishop has said that if that is all we can get, it is acceptable. 

Even if you don't want the J & J vaccine, there are still two more, much more readily available, vaccines out there. So not wanting the J & J vaccine for religious purposes is no excuse for not having one. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, GrammieK said:

the Catholic Church now says that if the JnJ vaccine is the only one available, take it. 

Yes. They make clear "being vaccinated can be an act of charity that serves the common good."

https://www.usccb.org/news/2021/us-bishop-chairmen-doctrine-and-pro-life-address-use-johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

No, the pope said if no other vaccine was available, the J&J was fine.  Meaning if all the vaccination site has is J&J, take it.  He said there is a larger moral obligation to be vaccinated and help protect our fellow man.

• Like 4

My guess is that people will pay the same attention to it as they do the ban on birth control.

I believe that most  people will follow the advice and direction from credible,  qualified sources-take the first shot that is offered and be thankful for it.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1