The Daily for Thursday Apr 22, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!

After a long string of sunny, warm days, the clouds are rolling in and rain is predicted in the next few days.  I'm not complaining, the garden actually needs it and it's time I get more indoor chores done too!

Happy Earth Day!  I was in Camp Fire (only a Blue Bird), never a Girl Scout.  Jelly beans may be the only candy other than chocolate that can tempt me -- but not always.  The meal sounds good but minus the dill 🤢.  Debbie's Mom was right, Paprika, not dill 😉 We've done 4 East Coast cruises and never visited Portland -- I would love to see it some day. We always stopped in Bar Harbor, which I love, but would like a cruise with both ports.

@cunnorlsuch a great surprise for your birthday!  Enjoy the visit.

@kazucongrats on getting an appointment for your first jab!  

@bennybear a belated happy anniversary!

@Horizon chaser 1957 happy you will be getting your first jab today!

@fatcat04your post brought tears to my eyes.  Houdini (love the name) was a gorgeous boy.  He obviously was very much loved and cared for -- 17 years is how long we had our last two kitties too -- they do leave a huge hole. 😞  virtual hugs...

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

I had been tending our ailing kitty of 17 years, my darling tuxie boy Houdini. Sadly, he passed peacefully this weekend and to say I am heartbroken is not enough.

I am so very sorry to hear of Houdini’s passing and your loss 😢 So sad and so hard when we lose a member of our family.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a still cloudy central Texas.  The good news is the wind has shifted to the south and there is a warming trend.  We'll be in the mid 60sF warming to the 70s the next two days, followed by the 80s for the foreseeable future after that.  It looks like we'll have rain and thunderstorms starting shortly after midnight through late tomorrow, the sun!!

Interesting quote today.  I might try to use it sometime. 🤣

As others have said, Earth Day, needs to be observed everyday.  I salute Girl Scout Leaders, especially the ones who took my troop on a week long trip to Ruidoso, NM.  DH will salute jelly beans.  Like several others, I prefer my candy in the form of chocolate,  🍫

@cunnorl   🥂 🎂  HAPPY 70TH BIRTHDAY TOMORROW!🍷 🌹  Enjoy your special day with your friends and SIL.

@kazu Congratulations on your jab appointment.  💉

@Horizon chaser 1957 Congratulations on your second jab. 💉

@St. Louis Sal  Good news that you DD got her second shot.  Hope she feel better today.

Almost 30 years ago, we drove through Portland on the way to Acadia National Park for a week of tent camping.  Our cruise stops in Maine have all been at Bar Harbor.  

Lenda

• Like 16

55 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think both @Crazy For Cats and @dfish were with me on my 2013 Veendam cruise that visited Portland but I'll post on Earth Day first.  The pictures will come from the same Crystal Symphony cruise my sunrise came from.  Crystal frequently offers no frills volunteer excursions and I've been on several.  They may serve orphanages, affordable housing, food banks or other things and a few are designed around conservation.

The tour in Astoria was to Fort Stevens State Park and the rangers welcomed us with some displays:

IMG_3196.thumb.JPG.c402ce191b627f87a88f2f13b09401d1.JPG

We spent the rest of our time collecting trash from the beach:

IMG_3197.thumb.JPG.fa4ffc2251a53e25f6c1417d5475d2e5.JPG

Roy

I remembered meeting you but couldn’t remember which cruise.  That is the cruise that I met @dfishand sister Sue.  I’m hoping we sail together again.

• Like 9

I am late this morning as I slept in. I have discovered that after a day of driving a long distance I tend to sleep in. As a younger person I would drive 14 hours and it didn’t faze me, now five hours is about all that I like to do. 

i love stroganoff and when my sister asked what I wanted for my birthday celebration day(two months late since I was gone) I said stroganoff like Mother used to make. 

Thanks everyone, I will now go back and read the rest of the posts. 

• Like 19

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Thank you Rich and a GOOD but nippy bright spring morning to all the Dailyites. 

Sorry I have been absent. It is for a very sad reason. I had been tending our ailing kitty of 17 years, my darling tuxie boy Houdini. Sadly, he passed peacefully this weekend and to say I am heartbroken is not enough. He was such a light in our life. So special that no one who came to our house did not know and love him. He never really grew up, always having some kitten in his soul. He was also the best "mommy" cat ever. When I did kitten foster, he was the one that washed the kittens and played with them, tolerated their little teeth and swished his tail just so they would chase it. Houdini was my sweet darling boy. It's amazing what a huge hole they leave when they are gone. I figured so many of you have fur babies, you all would understand. 

Houdini1.jpg

Hugs. Hoping your wonderful memories will help ease your pain. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We have been to the Port of Portland , Maine on a cruise with the Eurodam in the fall of 2009 from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale , the last  “ Fall colours of New England  “ cruise of that year .
We have also driven through Portland numerous times on the I-95 to Bangor to go from there to DD’s summer home in Bass Harbor  on Mount Desert Island . What a beautiful place to spent a few weeks to relax and take in nature . Love Maine !!

Eurodam in Quebec City from our hotel room in the gorgeous Chateau Frontenac 

DSCF0790.thumb.jpg.357d1d7f698c1db47a0a24bc982bc324.jpg

Don’t worry about the guns they were from the past to keep our enemy from that time away , most of the time now we are best friends .

DSCF0760.thumb.jpg.63d94104fea786c377bc6c2d5e69de31.jpg

DSCF0896.thumb.jpg.fa9cb3fc2060077796ba37c2644d7839.jpg

Once in Portland we went on a HAL “sticker”  tour to Kennebunkport  had a nice tour through that town and had some time to go shopping .
We had a look but Pres George was not home at the time .

DSCF0935.thumb.jpg.c4f376dc5c227d4accbf1dfbe162142f.jpg

DSCF0936.thumb.jpg.af44d94f2282b8e3b025e210f0d92979.jpg

DSCF0947.thumb.jpg.8be3fcce57f789d17714542d7cd73fc7.jpg

DSCF0944.thumb.jpg.2b10136245f133f5f2a43de69e5938a3.jpg

DSCF0952.thumb.jpg.ba9fb35bf541d90a0f6825f1cd9b012e.jpg

DSCF0953.thumb.jpg.a780c5aaf10a6ea4e19b6a14116b87e3.jpg

It was another very nice day and we left to see a beautiful sunset . This is for you Roy @rafinmd  my best wishes for year treatments .

DSCF0958.thumb.jpg.5334247663f598a35f6eaec606e236e4.jpg

Thanks to all of the Daily organizers and contributors , have a great day everybody , Take Care and Stay Safe ! 

Tony 😄
  • Like 28

We have been to the Port of Portland , Maine on a cruise with the Eurodam in the fall of 2009 from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale , the last  “ Fall colours of New England  “ cruise of that year .
We have also driven through Portland numerous times on the I-95 to Bangor to go from there to DD’s summer home in Bass Harbor  on Mount Desert Island . What a beautiful place to spent a few weeks to relax and take in nature . Love Maine !!

Eurodam in Quebec City from our hotel room in the gorgeous Chateau Frontenac 

DSCF0790.thumb.jpg.357d1d7f698c1db47a0a24bc982bc324.jpg

Don’t worry about the guns they were from the past to keep our enemy from that time away , most of the time now we are best friends .

DSCF0760.thumb.jpg.63d94104fea786c377bc6c2d5e69de31.jpg

DSCF0896.thumb.jpg.fa9cb3fc2060077796ba37c2644d7839.jpg

Once in Portland we went on a HAL “sticker”  tour to Kennebunkport  had a nice tour through that town and had some time to go shopping .
We had a look but Pres George was not home at the time .

DSCF0935.thumb.jpg.c4f376dc5c227d4accbf1dfbe162142f.jpg

DSCF0936.thumb.jpg.af44d94f2282b8e3b025e210f0d92979.jpg

DSCF0947.thumb.jpg.8be3fcce57f789d17714542d7cd73fc7.jpg

DSCF0944.thumb.jpg.2b10136245f133f5f2a43de69e5938a3.jpg

DSCF0952.thumb.jpg.ba9fb35bf541d90a0f6825f1cd9b012e.jpg

DSCF0953.thumb.jpg.a780c5aaf10a6ea4e19b6a14116b87e3.jpg

It was another very nice day and we left to see a beautiful sunset . This is for you Roy @rafinmd  my best wishes for year treatments .

DSCF0958.thumb.jpg.5334247663f598a35f6eaec606e236e4.jpg

Thanks to all of the Daily organizers and contributors , have a great day everybody , Take Care and Stay Safe ! 

Tony 😄
  • Like 4

Good afternoon from SW Ontario where the weather gods continue to think it is late winter-cloudy and cool with a high of just 3º C and snow threatening. . Blech.

This morning my grandson (3) sang a song of being the keeper of the earth and everyone in the family is keeping the gorillas safe-including the dog. 😄

I love jelly belly jelly beans-especially the cinnamon and the popcorn.

DH just made KD for lunch, so the planned pasta for dinner won't be happening.

5 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Had to look this up. Like others, I learn so much here. 

Me, too! I think that I might like the drink. I'll have to try it some time when we get back onto a BHB.

Congrats to @Horizon chaser 1957 and @kazu for their completed and upcoming first jabs.

@fatcat04, I'm sending hugs on the loss of your furbaby. My daughter has a couple of tuxedo cats because they are her favourite and so loving. I hope that your memories help you through this loss. 😢

12 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Sorry for the repeat people , I am not looking for extra attention it is all Mr Computers fault 😍

Those darn computers! They have a mind of their own sometimes! 😄

Have a wonderful day! Blessings to all! Stay safe and be well.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Awww... @fatcat04, Houdini was beautiful.  It's so hard to lose our furry friends.  I wish they could talk and tell us how they've had a really great life with us and are now tired and ready to go to their rest.  It would make it easier to know all that, I think.

Today we took delivery of a new Louisiana smoker, so I'm planning my first experiments with that.  We have a good-looking bone-in pork loin roast in the freezer.  That will probably be first on the rack.  Yummm!

I don't eat jelly beans often -- just once a year at Easter and always from See's Candies.  There are still a few left.  They have been a nice little afternoon pick-me-up since Easter.

Have a great afternoon/evening, Everyone!  😊

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of loving our fur babies, we had a miniature poodle years ago. He grew up with our girls. He lived for 18 years. We loved him so much that we actually had a replica made of him so we would always remember him. Our Rocky was the best dog ever. And yes, he had the markings of a Doberman, including the bow tie. We had to sign a no breeding contract when we bought him because he didn’t meet kennel club regs but we always regretted doing that. 

37BB8A76-A209-4355-9934-FE0A264E7CBF.jpeg

• Like 21

4 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Sorry I have been absent. It is for a very sad reason. I had been tending our ailing kitty of 17 years, my darling tuxie boy Houdini. Sadly, he passed peacefully this weekend and to say I am heartbroken is not enough. He was such a light in our life. So special that no one who came to our house did not know and love him. He never really grew up, always having some kitten in his soul. He was also the best "mommy" cat ever. When I did kitten foster, he was the one that washed the kittens and played with them, tolerated their little teeth and swished his tail just so they would chase it. Houdini was my sweet darling boy. It's amazing what a huge hole they leave when they are gone. I figured so many of you have fur babies, you all would understand. 

Houdini1.jpg

So sorry for the loss of your faithful friend! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I remembered meeting you but couldn’t remember which cruise.  That is the cruise that I met @dfishand sister Sue.  I’m hoping we sail together again.

Are you talking about Roy or Sue and me?   If Sue and me, quit cancelling Norway!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Houdini1.jpg

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Houdini.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good day and thank you all.   @cat shepard that wine sounds interesting!  Appreciate all the details!  I love the Basque area of France and Spain,  so not sure if I’ve had it.  

@cunnorl  happy 70 th tomorrow!  Glad you have friends and family helping you to celebrate! 

Thanks  for all the good wishes,  we had a lovely warm day so our DS could join us outdoors for a delicious BBQ prime rib!   I was able to make a Gran Marnier Chocolate cheesecake that mostly used Greek yogurt,  I was surprised it actually turned out as I had to sub heavy cream! 

We’ve been to Portland many years ago on a land trip.  It was one of those trips, started at the Chateau Frontenac and I think we visited many doctors.  The joys of travelling with children!  

6AE194EA-1A79-492A-80CB-F8EF8F54F264.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 16

Good afternoon everyone. Late to the party today. I had my hair cut in the garage this am and got distracted.

We’ve been in Portland several times and enjoyed lobster rolls there. Our first trip was an unexpected land stop. We were visiting our daughter in Maine at her summer camp when our car broke down on the way back right as we pulled into a gas station in Portland. We couldn’t rent a car because it was camp visiting all over Maine and no cars to be had. We left our car to be fixed, took a truck ride to the airport and flew home with our 8  and 1 year old kids. Had to have someone drive our car home and then we sold it. Fond memories of Portland.

Carol

• Like 15

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Happy to say that I have secured an appointment for my first jab this weekend.

Good for you! I'm now more than a month out from my second, so I guess it's time to get the first Shingrix inoculation, which I had postponed. I like to tell people that I got the covid vaccinations in a K-Mart (vacant building rented by a hospital system).

Earth Day or Arbor Day, a week from tomorrow in the U.S., would be a reasonable time to plant trees here, but we are having snow for the second consecutive day, about which I am thoroughly disgusted. I used to belong to the National Arbor Day Foundation, but dropped membership when I couldn't get them to stop sending me tree saplings. At the time I lived on an average city lot that already had 27 mature trees.

• Like 13