The Daily for Sunday Jun 06, 2021

richwmn

19 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Do you know much about indoor plants?

I have little black dots on my indoor hibiscus, I think they may be aphids brought in from being out last summer.  I put them out yesterday and will bring them in before frost.  I've sprayed the plants with a soap and water solution, (maybe not often enough) but the bugs keep coming back.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

We use a combination of Dawn (dish liquid) and Hydrogen Peroxide with water. Seems to solve the problem. The suggestion was made by a local nursery man.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

@Mtn2Sea Great pictures! Thank you. Did you take the ships excursion or did you book private?  The reason I ask is some members of my roll call have book an independent tour and I am trying to decide whether to join them or do the ships tour.

• Like 10

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We remember those who fought to give us the liberties we enjoy today.  I remember going to drive-ins as a child, being packed up in the back seat loaded with blankets and treats, and falling asleep before the first movie ended.  

We'll be getting our gardening exercise this morning because we had a storm plow through yesterday afternoon.  There was a tornado watch issued, so we had to put as many of the large pots under cover as possible - I think next year I'm going to try planting things in styrofoam!  LOL

I have a reptile phobia (except for turtles), so if we end up on a cruise that has Komodo Island as a port, I'm going to be staying on the ship.  I'm pretty sure the moment I hit the island, those Komodo dragons would instinctively know I was there and they'd send messages to one another saying "Gerry's here, lunch has arrived, converge!!!".

I really like today's menu suggestion, but would likely use it as an appetizer.  Today is our DSIL's birthday, so we'll be going over to his house where DD will prepare a nice steak dinner for all of us.  And wine.

@rafinmd, I'm happy to see you're back in full force again - welcome back.  @kazu, thanks for taking over the lists for Roy in his absence.

@cat shepard  Being an adoptee, I know the drill.  Trust me, I'm not running anywhere, I'm happy here.  LOL

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wine glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Morning Dailyite family. Yes, you read that correctly. I have officially adopted you all. Please do not run away from home. 

Promise - except when I "run" to the beach and sea. Those "Toots" from our BHBs are strong magnets.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

How does one pick up the taste of 1% petit verdot?? Ann can I ask a favor? Would you add the name of the wine when you write your review. I'm too lazy to go back to Rich's posts to find it.. you know me, I'm the lazy middle sister..

Will do. Though, you might have to nag me once or twice. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Remembering those that stormed the beaches in Normandy, especially those that paid the ultimate sacrifice.  The only drive in that I’m aware of is on the Cape although I used to enjoy them as a kid.  Today’s going to be 95F so no gardening today.  Today’s appetizer sounds very nice as does the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port but am enjoying the photos thus far. Prayers to everyone on today’s prayer list, with my deepest condolence to StLouisCruisers on the loss of your sister. Cheers to everyone with a celebration today!

(If any dailyite could let me know how to highlight a users name in a post I would be very appreciative.  No 5 year olds around here to ask)

• Like 20

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I will if I can think of enough tips.  If anyone has any specific tips they want addressed / different topics, I’d be happy to post.  I think today’s tip was making sure you leave enough space in your planters for plants (or puppies ) to grow 😉 😄 

I have a question:

The past 2 years my tomatoes put out beautiful fruit that either stopped growing or attained proper size, but never ripened. And there were  oddles of branches and leaves. They were in the ground, in raised beds, full sun. I used a vegetable fertilizer (don’t remember which) and commercial munch.

Any ideas? 

• Like 13

58 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

We use a combination of Dawn (dish liquid) and Hydrogen Peroxide with water. Seems to solve the problem. The suggestion was made by a local nursery man.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll add a little hydrogen peroxide next time I spritz them with the soap and water solution.

• Like 14

Good Morning All,

We have more marine layer here, which is nice as it keeps the temperature down. Off to church, then will prepare for dinner tonight (featuring root beer gelato) and start packing for a short camping trip next week.

• Like 16

@Mr. Boston, it’s easy but rather particular! Type the “@“, then without a space type the screen name.  This is where it can get a little tricky, because there are lots of people with similar names, and you have to make sure you get the right one from the list that appears.  Click on the name you want, and Voila!  It really helps that the list also shows avatars - “that’s the one!”
I hope that’s helpful.  😀

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Remembering those that stormed the beaches in Normandy, especially those that paid the ultimate sacrifice.  The only drive in that I’m aware of is on the Cape although I used to enjoy them as a kid.  Today’s going to be 95F so no gardening today.  Today’s appetizer sounds very nice as does the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port but am enjoying the photos thus far. Prayers to everyone on today’s prayer list, with my deepest condolence to StLouisCruisers on the loss of your sister. Cheers to everyone with a celebration today!

(If any dailyite could let me know how to highlight a users name in a post I would be very appreciative.  No 5 year olds around here to ask)

I  finally  learned  how  to  do  this! Type @ before  the  CC name  and  a  list  starts  populating  below  it. Scroll  down  and  find  the  magic  name. Good  luck!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

It’s difficult for me to put my DDay emotions into words.  I can’t imagine the courage and patriotism of those who were involved.  We have been to Normandy, unforgettable.  On that tour we also visited a small UK/Australia cemetery in Bayeux.  After hearing the explanation of the history, we had time to walk through the stones.  When this cemetery was constructed, family members were given the opportunity to send messages to be inscribed on the stones; it was very moving. 

Sometimes, I am introspective enough to ask to be led to anything I need to see.  Sure enough, it wasn’t long until I came to the stone of Luther Hatfield. - meaningful to me as Hatfield is my maiden name.  Such a wonderful and important day for us all to remember and honor.

• Like 21

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Asparagus is my favorite veggie, so I might be able to make this a meal, if it didn’t have so many carbs. But Debbie, you are correct this will be a great appetizer.

You can try using cucumber or sliced, raw zucchini in place of the bread.   I find the zucchini holds up the best.   Yellow summer squash works as well.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

Do you know much about indoor plants?

I have little black dots on my indoor hibiscus, I think they may be aphids brought in from being out last summer.  I put them out yesterday and will bring them in before frost.  I've sprayed the plants with a soap and water solution, (maybe not often enough) but the bugs keep coming back.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

@DFD1 's suggestion of hydrogen peroxide and soap makes a lot of sense.

Another thing you might try is wiping leaves with Clorox wipes, if the plant is not too big, not too many leaves.  I've had good success doing this on my small potted lime tree, gardenias in pots, and a camellia in a pot.  The wipes didn't harm any of those plants and really did a great job of removing small bugs, their eggs, and sooty stuff from the leaves.

Hibiscus does get a lot of aphids.  ☹️

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Thank You for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmdfor both the Care and Celebration Lists now. Appreciate Jacqui @kazu for filling in and to all who make comments and contribute to this site. 

Operation Overlord tours took us to all the beaches and various sites....amazing 77 years ago today Allied Forces landed in Normandy.

Your photos @Mtn2Sea and @CJcruzer are great...mine not so much from 2014. @cunnorlthe ship offered an excursion and the CC group had one to a beach😯....decided to go with the 🚢. I was a bit frightened @ger_77 but thought how many times would I have this opportunity to see the dragons? Someone said they were fed before we arrived... (rumor?)😉

🙏Prayers for all in need.🙏

Katie

20210606_064108.jpg

• Like 27

Thank you for the daily.

I was born in Holland two years before the end of the war in Europe.  Our city was liberated by Canadian troops who began the ordeal on the beaches in Normandy.

We just finished binging on all the WW 2 documentaries on Netflix. 

One may try to forgive but we will never forget the atrocities committed during the rise and fall of the evil empire.

One must sample white asparagus to truly appreciate that vegetable.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Dailyites.  

Thank you, @bennybear, @dfish, @57redbird and @Quartzsite Cruiser for mentioning the Epley maneuver for dizziness.   I did it last night before bed and will repeat today.  Fingers crossed that there could be such a simple solution.  🤞  

Just the mention of D-Day brings a lump to one's throat.  It's hard to imagine so much bravery gathered in one place at one time.

Thank you for all the contributions here today.  The photos of Komodo are so interesting!

Sending prayers to those in need and wishing all a very peaceful Sunday.  🌻  🌹  🌷  🌻

• Like 23

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for the daily report.  Today is day 2 of a heatwave.  I plan on staying cool, DH may go on the deck and bake.  We have the following beauties growing in front of our kitchen window.   I did see a rabbit chewing on one of the flowers.

20210606_102810.jpg

20210606_102834.jpg

Edited by Crazy For Cats
Spelling
  • Like 25

Good morning all!

Another rainy day here, I think we're getting the whole season's rain in 2 days.  

One of my uncles was involved in D-Day. We visited the D-Day beaches on a cruise in 2014 -- rented a car.  Unfortunately I can't find my photos right now.

Good memories of drive-ins from my early childhood.  Like @ger_77I remember falling asleep before the first show was over.  

No gardening today, we're taking the youngest GS whale watching as his birthday present.  He spent the night last night with us.  I got the idea from a friend who each year takes the birthday grandchild on a special outing, just them.  It's unusual for us to have just one boy, always it's both or none, so this is very special. He loves whales and all sea life, so this is perfect for him.  I just wish the weather was better, but we can't control that. 😉  

Worrying about a young cousin who had a kidney transplant 2 years ago (after being on the waiting list 4 years).  Her body is rejecting the kidney 😞  It's all very scary and sad, she's understandably scared and sad as we all are.  

Cheers and prayers for all on the lists -- have a great day everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Damcruiser said:

Thank you for the daily.

I was born in Holland two years before the end of the war in Europe.  Our city was liberated by Canadian troops who began the ordeal on the beaches in Normandy.

We just finished binging on all the WW 2 documentaries on Netflix. 

One may try to forgive but we will never forget the atrocities committed during the rise and fall of the evil empire.

One must sample white asparagus to truly appreciate that vegetable.

Welcome aboard.

Roy

• Like 9