The Daily for Tuesday August 24, 2021

richwmn

Today is Iconic American Restaurants Day, Vesuvius Day, and International Strange Music Day

I don't have a bank account because I don't know my mother's maiden name. - Paula Poundstone

Meal suggestion for today - Creamy Orzo with Mushrooms

Drink of the Day - Espresso Martini

Wine of the day - Paula Kornell NV Brut Méthode Champenoise Sparkling (California) California Other

Destination of the Day - Lembar Lombok Indonesia

Ships with Passengers

Glacier Bay
Nieuw Amsterdam 18:00 - 22:00

Rhodes
Eurodam 08:00 - 21:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Puerto Vallarta MX eta 8/29
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage

Los Angeles
Koningsdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0824World.thumb.png.6c71f1439f2a3d74504e5cfadb777aa3.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  A salute to Iconic Restaurants, Vesuvius has quite a history, and I'm not quite sure about strange music.  I have not been to Lembar Lombok.  I suspect Poundstone could have winged it on mom's maiden name if she wanted.  I'll pass on the Ozzo.  My alternative is Chicken Marsala as served in Acela Express First Class as I was making my way home from Boston August 24, 2013 after disembarking MS Veendam.

Today’s care list:

RIP Cape May Beach Patrol Norman Inferrerra 3rd Line of Duty Death 8/20/21
StLouisCruiser’s DGS having back surgery
Those in the path of Henri
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires
Sharon’s mom in radiation
Death in Sam’s aide’s family and dilemma in his caregiver situation
Afghanistan and Norseh2o’s nephew assisting the evacuation
New Zealand continuing outbreak
JazzyV with several procedures
From the rotation:
Tana back recovering courtesy of smitty34867
Kazu’s friend recovering from a brain bleed

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Happy Birthday Vict0riann
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruisin single and CruiseMGM on BHB
Happy Anniversary Tbay DD and DSIL celebrating 13 years
A Nieuw Amsterdam Juneau Sail-in
5 Days for SharoninAz
Sharon’s help for her mom with radiation
New York’s first female Governor
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a hot one today with temps at 90.   Some schools that are not air conditioned will be releasing students early today while others are closed due to heat.  I can guarantee that never  happened when I was a kid.  

I woke up at 3:00 am this morning and was not able to get back to sleep.  I made myself stay in bed until 5:30 and got up and put the coffee on.  It may be a long day.

Today's meal sounds more like a side dish to me.  I would skip it because of the carb content.  Roy's meal sounds good to me.  Although, the mushrooms in the orzo look really good.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/creamy-orzo-with-mushrooms-4554437

629305397_creamyorzowithmushrooms.jpeg.c2147e9b8e68bdf6ef86fe8d7454509f.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

'Morning all, and thank you for today's daily Rich!

Love the collection of days - when it comes to strange music, I would give kudos to my son's playlists.  He's got some eclectic tunes mixed in with old standards by Sinatra and wild rants by Iron Maiden.  He runs the gamut!

Not a fan of mushrooms, so I'll pass on the meals.  I have a business dinner tonight, though, at one of my favorite go-to spots that serves a delicious tenderloin salad...that's on my menu tonight.

Sending virtual hugs to all on the care list...and hoping for better days ahead. 

Have a wonderful day all!

• Like 21

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A salute to restaurants.  We have visited Mt Vesuvius and Pompeii, quite a history to discover.  I'm not sure what to make of "strange music".

Paula Poundstone is amusing.

The meal suggestion sounds like a good one for us, DH loves mushrooms.  @dfishthanks for the recipe,  we may have that later this week.  I'm sure the drink and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Tuesday smile 🙂 

Cheers for the iconic restaurants - so many of them are gone.  Vesuvius Day is a sad remembrance well evidenced at Pompeii & Herculaneum.  Not sure what strange music is.  I’m sure different people think different music is strange 😉 

LOL on the Paula Poundstone quote.  I think we’ll take the mushrooms and skip the rest of today’s meal suggestion and maybe have some steak to go with those mushrooms. 😉 

A friend sent me a pic of her calla asking for help.  To say the plant is sad is an understatement

AE3485D8-93F0-40BB-9284-89C287463C03.thumb.jpeg.feedac66723084d072048e0d8de04b90.jpeg

I didn’t have the heart to tell them one of my callas was re-blooming 😉 

AE1E1C37-80C5-4DBD-9034-E65F6F6625EE.thumb.jpeg.98408e18ab05cb6e803ba10d5e0690b8.jpeg

and yes, that’s a chili next to it. And speaking of chilies, @bennybearI see the beginning of a first bloom on one of my Black Pearls.  You might need to expand the pic but it’s there!

8FDD3A54-1B6B-408E-90D3-035BC969E847.thumb.jpeg.3905440b1b9f8d96979578bc7e112f8d.jpeg

A have a bunch of chilis at the back of this planter (a mistake - I didn’t realize the lavatera would get so tall - I’ll definitely re-think that one next year 😉 

D8CE978C-6326-418B-AAA4-8E049CA367C7.thumb.jpeg.68bfa2ca4ece2b2e6dd248202137229c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!!!!

97544CCE-15D6-4039-B03C-DE2960EB8040.thumb.jpeg.0414b6648428a4eeb7003e5a2a78b21f.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 33
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Thank you Rich for the Daily and Roy thanks and prayers to you. 

I couldn't sleep either Debbie. Too much on my mind. The drinks, dinner and wine all sound good. Looking forward to the reviews. I would make my mushrooms and orzo totally different. Lots more mushrooms in the orzo plus sauteed mushrooms on the top. Or you could leave out the orzo and triple the mushrooms! Lol But not tonight as we're going out..

Meeting friends at a hotel today to check it out for next months Cav Division get together. About 16 coming for the Fort Hood events. 

Hoping people will get vaccinated now that Pfizer has gotten approval. We have to get this Covid under control. Meanwhile, hoping to get doctor approval for Allen's booster in 2 weeks.

Strange music happens alot in our house. I ask Alexa to play mixes of music and there's songs I can't get out of my head!

image.png.7d95e668a6e7dfd4eab6cdf985476292.png

What is your favorite Iconic American restaurant? 

image.png.d74781a951d99c876c46f5b1674a22ba.png

Have a great day. Send a note to a loved one. Blessings and Cheers 

• Like 25

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Just back from Ft. Lauderdale and four days of r&r and beautiful sunny weather. It was nice watching the ships set sail, but strange that they only contained skeleton crews of passengers.  Hats off to iconic restaurants, Big Boy being my favorite, Vesuvius, and strange music.  I must be obtuse because Poundstone’s quote doesn’t make any sense to me. Not much of an orzo fan so will pass on the meal suggestion today.  I haven’t been to today’s port and can’t wait to see the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event!

• Like 19

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Quite the combination of days. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! Sandi, @StLouisCruisers, prayers for a successful surgery for DGS!

A busy day ahead. I am heading down the path of replacing my roof and have lots of meetings set up to get estimates. I believe I know who I want to do the job, but I perhaps these meetings will change my mind. 

Today’s drink and meal sound amazing to me. I would add a lot more mushrooms, if I were using this as an entree. Maybe some portabellas would do the trick. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

Paula Kornell NV Brut Méthode Champenoise

Looking for an excellent, but reasonable sparkling wine? Look no further. This California sparkler announced itself to the world with a bang. A rating of 94 - for the first released vintage! I am adding this to my list, and at a starting price online of $16.98 it won’t hurt my budget!

Winemaker Notes

#5 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

This perfect introduction to Paula Kornell’s sparkling wines has all the elegance, refinement,and freshness that one would expect from the best bubbles. Its racy acidity makes the wine lively and refreshing, while the small amount of residual sugar gives the wine weight and depth alongside the aromas of lemon pith, fresh peaches, just-ripe apricots, toast, acacia, and honeysuckle.

Ideal for a Sunday afternoon in the garden, a weekend picnic, or at the beginning of a meal, this approachable and highly drinkable wine will satisfy all tastes.

Blend: 80% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: This inaugural release is stunning and incredibly impressive—a wine well worth stocking up on for the price and quality. A beautiful jasmine aroma leads to marzipan, peach and cherry flavors as lively acidity envelopes the palate. It’s a blend of 80% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Noir.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. All the restaurants need our care today as so many have had to shut their doors  forever and others are having a hard time finding staff. 
We are in for a heat wave the next few days, but it’s better than the rain and flooding in our neighboring communities. A community just down the road from us had 96/ homes with water damage. I saw a picture of one woman knee deep in water in her kitchen and Sam’s favorite ice cream store was destroyed.

Still no word on the aides replacement somI called another agency yesterday and hopefully we will hear something soon.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Henri gave us some parting rain overnight, nothing too bad.  The heat and humidity will be here for a few days.  The weekend promises to be nice and we can open windows.  I hope that forecast holds true.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion.  Instead it will be pork and sauerkraut.  I hope everyone has a good day.

I saw this and thought of this group.

image.thumb.png.9c9c376a67c20ec854e170238d922106.png

• Like 30

I'm up here quite early.  Like some others, didn't sleep well.  There was a big, beautiful red moon last night.  Perhaps that had something to do with it.

Thank you for the Daily, Rich, and all who contribute.  It's a shame how many iconic restaurants are gone.  Vesuvius certainly had an impact.  I don't really know what qualifies as strange music; haven't been to Indonesia and look forward to photos.

Roy's suggestion of chicken marsala is a favorite.  I used to make it -- should get back in the habit. 

Today my mind is on @StLouisCruisers' DGS and his surgery.  Prayers that all goes just perfectly.  That is a challenging situation for a young person. @smitty34877, I hope your day goes well today.

@Cruising-along , congrats on third in the series today.  DH and I did ours last week and had nothing more than sore arm.

I hope everyone has a pleasant day today.  Sending prayers and virtual hugs to those having struggles, and cheers to those celebrating.  I'm looking away from other threads here on CC for awhile,  because we're sailing in a couple of weeks and they are causing travel anxiety.   I'm gonna shift that to nice anticipation. 😊

🌻   🌷   🌹

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Interesting group of days.  Seeing Vesuvius makes me think of the commercial that is on now about alexa.  I'm not sure about the quote.  The meal sounds divine, but I would cook the mushrooms into the orzo.

Have not been to today's port.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Expresso Martini:

Ingredients
2 ounces vodka
1/2 ounce coffee liqueur (usually Kahlúa)
1 ounce espresso, freshly brewed (or cold brew concentrate)
1/2 ounce simple syrup
Garnish: coffee beans

Steps
Add vodka, coffee liqueur, espresso and simple syrup to a shaker filled with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with 3 coffee beans.

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 7.54.23 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Interesting group of days.  Seeing Vesuvius makes me think of the commercial that is on now about alexa.  I'm not sure about the quote.  The meal sounds divine, but I would cook the mushrooms into the orzo.

Have not been to today's port.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Expresso Martini:

Ingredients
2 ounces vodka
1/2 ounce coffee liqueur (usually Kahlúa)
1 ounce espresso, freshly brewed (or cold brew concentrate)
1/2 ounce simple syrup
Garnish: coffee beans

Steps
Add vodka, coffee liqueur, espresso and simple syrup to a shaker filled with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with 3 coffee beans.

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 7.54.23 AM.png

The drink sounds good.  Thank you for sharing the way to make it.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Rich and Roy thanks. Special thanks to all our contributors. 

@kazuYour travel cartoon today is hilarious and there is some truth to it.

Restaurants definitely need our support.

Enjoy the day, think positive and be thankful. 

I hope you had a great time on your recent cruise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  A salute to Iconic Restaurants, Vesuvius has quite a history, and I'm not quite sure about strange music.  I have not been to Lembar Lombok.  I suspect Poundstone could have winged it on mom's maiden name if she wanted.  I'll pass on the Ozzo.  My alternative is Chicken Marsala as served in Acela Express First Class as I was making my way home from Boston August 24, 2013 after disembarking MS Veendam.

Today’s care list:

RIP Cape May Beach Patrol Norman Inferrerra 3rd Line of Duty Death 8/20/21
StLouisCruiser’s DGS having back surgery
Those in the path of Henri
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires
Sharon’s mom in radiation
Death in Sam’s aide’s family and dilemma in his caregiver situation
Afghanistan and Norseh2o’s nephew assisting the evacuation
New Zealand continuing outbreak
JazzyV with several procedures
From the rotation:
Tana back recovering courtesy of smitty34867
Kazu’s friend recovering from a brain bleed

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Happy Birthday Vict0riann
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruisin single and CruiseMGM on BHB
Happy Anniversary Tbay DD and DSIL celebrating 13 years
A Nieuw Amsterdam Juneau Sail-in
5 Days for SharoninAz
Sharon’s help for her mom with radiation
New York’s first female Governor
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, Thank you for both lists.  Have a great truth.

• Like 4