The Daily for Friday November 26, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Day of Listening, National Native American Heritage Day, and National Leftovers Day

The real business of life is trying to understand each other. - Gilbert Parker

Meal suggestion for today - Mexican Mango and White Fish Ceviche

Drink of the Day - Brandy Manhattan

Wine of the day - Alexana Revana Vineyards Pinot Noir - Oregon - Red

Destination of the Day - Suva Viti Levu Fiji Islands

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Eurodam Destination Aruba Dutch Antill

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego CA US eta 11/28

Half Moon Cay
Nieuw Amsterdam Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Nassau BS
Nieuw Statendam

Willemstad CW
Rotterdam

Ships without Passengers

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Noordam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

North Sea Operations
Oosterdam

1126NAmerica.thumb.png.b7590516e4b1cc1d7560e9dc78bcd5ea.png

1126Europe.thumb.png.9ef21cf7443c9b8dbc34bf1d31f22c29.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Thanks for the Daily Report.

I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

Everyone should listen more.  We should honour Native Americans and everything they did to advance the country.  No leftovers for us today, but I'm sure there are lots of people who have some.🙂

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  I'm sure the drink of the day and wine will be great.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 26

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  A great selection of days although I will pass on both the Ceviche and leftovers.  I love the quote and Fiji although the islands run together a bit for me.  Off this morning to get the car serviced and then some groceries.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
NW and BC flooding, mudslides, and people trapped between closures with diminishing supplies
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOHL results
Seasick Sailor friend Walker requesting a visit with daughters
Pre-surgery covid test for 57Redbird DH
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
cunnorl DH sister recovering from stroke
LaPalma
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard KAKcruiser
A final cruise for kakalina
5 BHB with passengers
5 days for Lunanken and Rotterdam
7 days for Cruisin Terri (O Riveira)
Front Line Health Care Workers
Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 12/12,   Overhead Fre d Cruise Suzy &segarsmoker(NA). Jimgev (NS),  and Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
Cat Shepard’s friend Cyn back to near normal
cunorl sister with great post-chemo PET scan
Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our TGiF day smile 🙂 

Great collection of days!  We all need to listen more & a huge salute to our Native / Indigenous people & their heritage.

That Parker quote is so true.  Love the meal suggestion for today - ceviche - yum 🙂 

Things are a little hectic here and will be again today so I had to catch up on yesterday’s Daily.  @cunnorl & @cat shepardI was happy to hear your good news.  

I am sure some people have leftovers today, so for those looking for an idea, here’s an interesting recipe that should be able to be adapted to leftovers from Oceania:

A8E0570F-4FD6-468C-91BD-6659475B61DA.thumb.jpeg.251908eb4f6b038e87a046d376cb11a7.jpeg

38EBF51A-79A4-4019-8FE8-9BC52EBDDFF6.thumb.jpeg.7e119b20289db02fabdb23080d88bd42.jpeg

97F5875A-B7E4-4A90-AB2D-9442757FDBBD.thumb.jpeg.90d103245b44fa3ef81153d2af7c7265.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday everyone

EE534222-D871-402D-AB1D-954FC979C8BE.thumb.jpeg.0caf512914d4264c84d003998a7f4b86.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

The cruises that we intend to sail on in 2023 were not included with the Black Friday Sale. Back to the original plan of booking them on our cruise in one week.  🙂

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 21

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Turkey Hangover Day to all my friends who celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday.  I think we could all stand to listen a little more - and some of us (pointing to myself) speak a little less.   I salute anyone who has Native American Heritage, the original settlers.  Enjoy those leftovers - I always appreciate leftover turkey and fixings.

Wow, have groceries gone up lately - yesterday DH and I went out to get a few things and ended up coming home with 2 cloth bags full and a bill totaling $97.35.  And there wasn't any meat in there.   I fear it's only going to get worse with the flooding in BC and Washington taking out the produce farms.  They showed on the news last night some pumpkins and squash that were washed 2 kilometers inland by the floodwaters.

Yesterday was a productive day with the sewing machine - I made new seat belt pads for both our vehicles, and an extra set for a neighbour.   I don't like the seat belt cutting into my neck or shoulder, and the pads really do the trick.  Next on the list is removing the back pockets out of a couple of pair of DH's old pants and using them as security pockets in his travel shorts and slacks.  The hard part is taking the pockets out of the pants - wow, some of them are almost welded in place!

I think I'd like to try today's menu suggestion on a BHB or a restaurant, but I don't think I'd be making it, as DH doesn't care for raw fish.  He ate a lot of vegetables when we were in Japan.  LOL  For us, though, it's Friday night pizza night, so we'll check the listings to see what appeals to us and either have it delivered or pick it up for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses high to cheer all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wear your masks, and wash your hands.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28

Good morning, everyone. 

What a wonderful day we had yesterday.  Great food and great friends.  Today we are switching over the fall decorations to the Christmas ones.  It is really pretty quick as I keep it simple.

Today we are definitely having left overs.  Ceviche isn't my thing anyways, but the recipe sounds more like something for the heat of summer.  

Here we have a basic recipe to get us started.   https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/263627/mexican-mango-and-white-fish-ceviche/

398516821_Mexicanmangoandwhitefishceviche.jpg.a9dcf6a18645bef5b32b32da6c1c5215.jpg

This one has some great information on how to make the dish and some substitutions you can make.   https://www.muydelish.com/fish-mango-ceviche/

Ceviche_Pescado_5a-768x1024.thumb.jpg.1e2fa1889afc9357b72e0a10db0a4873.jpg

And this one uses shrimp:  https://lexiscleankitchen.com/healthy-food-friday-oranges-tropical-shrimp-ceviche/

Tropical-Shrimp-Ceviche1.thumb.jpg.7d6d9b7b5bce7de5022958bf9f665af2.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Happy Friday. Interesting group of days.  Like the quote and have not been to the destination.  Will skip the meal as I don't like raw fish.

Prayers and toasts to all of us.  I hope all are enjoying their cruises.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Brandy Manhatten:

The Perfect Brandy Manhattan is a variation on the classic Manhattan cocktail, made with brandy instead of whiskey, and using equal parts sweet and dry vermouth, just like the standard Perfect Manhattan. Add in a dash or two of Angostura bitters, and you've got an excellent, classic cocktail.

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 8.05.35 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon.

It is a breezy but sunny day at the beach.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for today's lists.

If people listened more it would make explaining easier.

Native Americans deserve a Heritage day.

We rarely have any leftovers 😋.

Good quote,nice food and drink.

Fiji sounds like a nice place so photos will be nice to see.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care.

Graham.

16379326629258580589238911079779.jpg

• Like 26

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  I still have a month to work on what was my New Year’s resolution, I’m trying to be a better listener.  Lots of leftovers to devour today.  Hats off for Native American heritage which I find fascinating.  The ceviche sounds like a great warm weather dish.  The quote is so true.  Today’s port is a bucket list destination for me.  Prayers for all on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today. 

• Like 23

Good morning Rich and Daily-ites. Hoping everyone had a great Thanksgiving. We have no leftovers. It seems like all I've done for 2 weeks is eat, eat, eat.

It's a bit brisk at 40° (not frozen tundra brisk..) and windy today. 

I'm bringing out our little Christmas tree this morning and that will be it for decorations. Our house sitter can enjoy it when we leave. 

Gerry I agree on the food prices. They are up. However, my cuvee wine and Allen's prosecco had a wonderful sale this past week we took advantage of.

I'm thankful for this group of friends. I look forward to waking up and reading about everyone's day. Thank you Rich.

Sending up prayers for all on our Roy's care list. Cheers and Blessings. 

• Like 25

Good morning friends!  A brisk morning but a pretty day ahead of us after some rain last night.  National leftovers Day is certainly appropriate for many of us.  Has anyone heard of Steve Doocy's recipe for Glorious Leftovers Galette?  It begins with two refrigerated pie crusts at room temperature, and you add your leftovers to it, fold over the edges and bake.  His suggestions are to use leftover mashed potatoes , 1 or 2 cups of diced turkey, sweet potato casserole, leftover stuffing and turkey gravy.  For more explicit instructions Google Steve Doocy galette recipe.  It looks good!

Cheers to native American heritage day as well as listening day!  I have to say no to the ceviche dish today but thank you @dfishfor those recipes!  We have not been to Fiji yet though I would like to.  DH says he's been everywhere he needs to go, but that just means I have to do a better job of convincing him.  If we are still in good health and have the means, why not continue traveling?  🚢

Thank you to @richwmnfor our Daily and @rafinmdfor the lists every day.  Prayers for our Care folks and cheers to our celebrants.  I sent a Thanksgiving message to John and Jean yesterday so if I hear anything new about John I will update everyone.  I imagine she has her hands full taking care of John right now so I don't have any word on his tests last week.

Time to turn my thoughts back to Christmas so i'd better get busy now.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26

It’s a lovely morning here! And promises to be a beautiful day! Perfect for walking off calories and leftovers! Perhaps Debbie’s sandwich recipe from yesterday. 😎

We had a lovely meal outside yesterday. Nothing too fancy, but delicious. Just five of us, but it was really the perfect size.  Bindi enjoyed her meal, too! The deer dropped by for a visit in the late afternoon, and the stars and planets were brilliant last night. 

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! People not only need to listen more, they need to listen with empathy! So many folk pass judgement without knowing the entire story.

Roy, thinking of you today. Thank you for keeping our lists. I love the meal option, but would prefer it in warmer weather.

Well Bindi and I are heading out for our walk. She is giving me “the look”.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!  Stay well everyone!

Alexana Revana Vineyards Pinot Noir 

This Willamette Valley Pinot Noir has excellent ratings. The 2018 might be the most readily available. A few online distributors with prices starting at 

$54.97. Just a bit over budget.

Winemaker Notes

The Terroir Series is crafted from some of the Willamette Valley’s most respected and diverse vineyard sites. Made in small-batch fermentations at Alexana’s gravity-flow winery winemaker, Bryan Weil, selects barrels from each vineyard to compose a world-class expression of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.

WE91  Wine Enthusiast

In this mid price range some really good options for Willamette Valley Pinot can be found, this among them. Supple and rich with mixed berries, plum jam and a hint of pepper, it’s backed with citrus-inflected acidity. Still young and tart, it’s a wine to enjoy over the rest of the decade. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4

I know I didn’t post yesterday, but did read the Daily.  

One of my reasons to give thanks on Thanksgiving is YOU!!!

I cannot tell you how much The Daily has meant to me.  I feel that I have developed a new circle of friends, people who really CARE about each other.  I enjoy reading how everyone is doing in their part of the world.  I say many, many a prayer as I read these posts — some asking for help, some offering thanks, some just because I get the sense that a prayer is needed.

Thank you, Everyone, for being a bright part in my day.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

I cannot tell you how much The Daily has meant to me.  I feel that I have developed a new circle of friends, people who really CARE about each other.  I enjoy reading how everyone is doing in their part of the world.  I say many, many a prayer as I read these posts — some asking for help, some offering thanks, some just because I get the sense that a prayer is needed.

I don't just LIKE this post, I LOVE it!  Thank you for reinforcing how much we all appreciate each other.❤️

• Like 27

4 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

You're absolutely correct - this is a group of people who do care about each other and what's happening in their lives.  I've wandered over to a few other boards and *wow* can they ever be snarky, sniping and snarling at one another.  It makes me grateful to have found The Daily and all who reside here.    We're glad you're here, too.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28

Good morning  everyone. I will salute all of the days,especially celebrating Native and Indigenous  people.I have been to the port only in my dreams and have enjoyed reading the trip reports of others.The recipe looks tasty but I would be the only one interested in this house.

We had a wonderful  Thanksgiving dinner with Tana and her son .She  has to use  oxygen almost all the time now but  continues as normal a routine as possible.We are so grateful to have them with us this year.

My DS and family "called" via computer so we could all visit.All 4 of them went on a 5K run in their town in 25 degree weather.Suffice it to say they are all thankfully recovered from covid.DGD says her writs are better as well.

We have so much to be thankful for.

Terry

• Like 25

26 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

Yes, this is my absolute favorite thread. Welcome to our Daily my friend. 

• Like 16

Good morning everyone. We will be having leftovers tonight so passing on the meal suggestion.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving and we’re so happy to see two of our grandsons , one of whom we haven’t seen since August when he left for college. Today, we will get to see the other college grandson and his brother along with the two from yesterday. It cheered Sam up a lot and of course me too.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26