The Daily for Tuesday 03/15/2022

richwmn

22 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. Beware the Ides of March!

Strange days. Not a fan of buzzards, and I'll pass on being dumbstruck today or having everything I think be wrong.

Fun quote, but make it coffee for me. I like the meal, but would use zoodles in lieu of pasta. Pass on the drink but I'll take the wine (a bit pricey for me).

I've never been to Santa Barbara.

A partly cloudy day here, with temps around 60. My eyes are bothering me today; not a flare of uveitis, but I have a lot of eye pain many days. I see the Ophthalmologist next week. And still battling the plantar fasciitis.

@kazu Prayers for Jose, you and Marley.

@aliaschief That food looks wonderful.

@grapau27 Enjoy Cadiz, even in the rain.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad to hear that DH doesn't have melanoma!

@smitty34877 Sorry to hear Tana had a reaction to the change in antibiotic, and thank goodness the nurse was due to come yesterday. I guess you never know with a new medication. Prayers for you all.

@StLouisCruisers It is great that Buddy is home and Jen will be going to a facility; prayers that they both improve. Congrats to Ren and his team for the wins!

@mamaofami Nice that Sam got to go out and socialize a bit.

@ger_77 Woohoo! Don't spend it all at once, lol.

Prayers for the Care List, Ukraine and it's people and helpers. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

I am sorry about the eyes and the PF. It has to be difficult dealing with both things at once.Thank you for your kindness and concern  regarding Tana.She has had a long week and it is only Tuesday!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@Lady Hudson Sorry to hear DSIL is having issues after her stents. Enjoy your cruise.

@StLouisCruisers Oh no, on the insurance denial. I know that my Mother years ago, even with a gastrostomy tube for feedings, didn't qualify as skilled care and got no help from insurance when she had to be in a nursing home. I gave them all her pension and social security each month, but when she died she had a large outstanding bill (fortunately I wasn't responsible for it). Prayers a solution is found for Jen that can satisfy her needs. If she's in a private living situation, would she be able to get home PT/OT/rehab or would she have to go out for that?

@smitty34877 Thank you. Sometimes this plus other medical stuff gets me down a bit, but I know others are having much worse things to deal with, so I try to be mindful of that.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

@Lady Hudson Sorry to hear DSIL is having issues after her stents. Enjoy your cruise.

@StLouisCruisers Oh no, on the insurance denial. I know that my Mother years ago, even with a gastrostomy tube for feedings, didn't qualify as skilled care and got no help from insurance when she had to be in a nursing home. I gave them all her pension and social security each month, but when she died she had a large outstanding bill (fortunately I wasn't responsible for it). Prayers a solution is found for Jen that can satisfy her needs. If she's in a private living situation, would she be able to get home PT/OT/rehab or would she have to go out for that?

I don't know Vanessa about home therapy.  You would think someone in her condition would be able to get that.  Otherwise she is going to need transportation to a facility.  They are all probably trying to find out what she can get provided to her right this minute.  Today is the day she's supposed to be discharged from the hospital.  This is so stressful.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Remember yesterday when I said Jen has a place to go from the hospital, just has to get the insurance approval.  

DB says Humana denied skilled nursing because she only needs assistance with ADL  (assistance with daily living).  Jen can dress and feed herself and brush her teeth, but needs help with everything else.   And the leasing office at her apartment says they can't transfer her to a street level entrance apartment or she would have to pay for both places.  How does any of this make sense?  

Jen's Mom lives near her but I have no clue what her living space is like.  DB lives a good distance from Jen and he himself is disabled and uses a cane.  Jen and her Mom and stepdad all moved back to St. Louis last year from the Chicago area, to be closer to Jen's Grandma because she is aging and needs help too.  And Jen's Mom helps Jen out quite a bit so that's why they all moved here together.

I don't know what's gonna happen next, but they are rather busy now so he's not getting back to me quickly with all my questions.

Time to call out the big guns and go public in the press.  Villainize the insurance company publicly.  I've known people who have had to do that and it can work.  I've participated in marches in front of insurance company offices for these kinds of issues.   

@ger_77 I won $4 on Friday night's draw.  You beat me.  Maybe if we combine our winnings we can get something.

@smitty34877 I'm sorry Tana reacted the way she did to the antibiotic, but thankfully the nurse was able to make the needed changes.   Enjoy the shrimp scampi!  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Just caught up with the Daily, took DH for his cardiac rehab this morning. First visit was mainly eval and  explanation of procedures. He was very limited in what he could do as he still has severe bruising/ possible clot on his leg. I think it was good to get something started even if not ideal. Returned home and I made breakfast, he is now resting. Went to grocery store, it was really busy with spring breakers buying soda and snacks as the weather is rainy and windy today and there is hardly anyone on the beach.  Another red flag day.

I did manage to get everything on my list except one thing which is a success in my mind. Lemons were 89c each, I have to stop looking at prices!!

Wishes and thought to everyone on the lists,

M

• Like 20

4 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

Just caught up with the Daily, took DH for his cardiac rehab this morning. First visit was mainly eval and  explanation of procedures. He was very limited in what he could do as he still has severe bruising/ possible clot on his leg. I think it was good to get something started even if not ideal. Returned home and I made breakfast, he is now resting. Went to grocery store, it was really busy with spring breakers buying soda and snacks as the weather is rainy and windy today and there is hardly anyone on the beach.  Another red flag day.

I did manage to get everything on my list except one thing which is a success in my mind. Lemons were 89c each, I have to stop looking at prices!!

Wishes and thought to everyone on the lists,

M

I think that's typical of the first day Cardiac Rehab.  Will this be group sessions or one on one with a therapist>

Roy

• Like 15

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Our little SAILAWAY up in SkyWalkers club. Wish they had a Crows Nest!! The Eurodam 

She has 1,800 passengers on her. she was suppose to leave at 1:00 but left at 2:15.

Have a great day all.

🌺🌺Denise☺️

image.thumb.jpeg.09ccdcee4a6330ef3a672fb05ef8d48d.jpeg

Edited by DeeniEncinitas
Addition
  • Like 26

Remember yesterday when I said Jen has a place to go from the hospital, just has to get the insurance approval.  

DB says Humana denied skilled nursing because she only needs assistance with ADL  (assistance with daily living).  Jen can dress and feed herself and brush her teeth, but needs help with everything else.   And the leasing office at her apartment says they can't transfer her to a street level entrance apartment or she would have to pay for both places.  How does any of this make sense?  

Jen's Mom lives near her but I have no clue what her living space is like.  DB lives a good distance from Jen and he himself is disabled and uses a cane.  Jen and her Mom and stepdad all moved back to St. Louis last year from the Chicago area, to be closer to Jen's Grandma because she is aging and needs help too.  And Jen's Mom helps Jen out quite a bit so that's why they all moved here together.

I don't know what's gonna happen next, but they are rather busy now so he's not getting back to me quickly with all my questions.

I am so sorry for what they are going through.  i do not understand why insurance is so hard to navigate.  We had similar problems with my BIL when he went into rehab.  Medicare said he was ready to go home because he could walk 30 steps after 17 days.  He died a month later.  There was no reasoning with them.  

I will keep Jen in my prayers.  This is so difficult. 

Terri

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from Cabo San Lucas.  We got in early today, and the tenders were down just after 8:30.  Arrival was scheduled for 11 am.  I was off the ship shortly after 10:15 and back in the cabin before noon.  They didn't make the announcement about open tenders until noon.  They tours didn't go off until there scheduled times.

When I left the tenders area, I turned left and walked to the end of the pier where a group was launching wave runners.  The resident sea lion and several pelicans were resting on the boat launch. They would move out of the way of the trailer, and would return as soon as the trailer pulled forward.  I was lucky to get this picture.

20220315_105024.thumb.jpg.67a34efbaee84f956da7ca09a4bf4169.jpg

Now, I'll go back and read the Daily.

Lenda

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

My worst horror story from my working days is when the hospital insisted we discharge a young woman to a shelter.She had no funds and the PT department  chipped in to purchase the walker she needed without telling her.I worried about her for years as she had many medical and psychological issues.We tried going to the local paper but they never printed a story. It is a sad state of affairs when there is little interest in caring for those who need our help.Sorry rant over.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9

9 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is Buzzards Day, Dumbstruck Day, and Everything You Think is Wrong Day

You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.--C.S. Lewis

Meal Suggestion for today - shrimp scampi pasta
Drink of the Day - Dad S Bourbon Mary
Wine of the Day - Ken Wright 2017 Shea Vineyard Pinot Noir (Yamhill-
Destination of the Day - Santa Barbara, California, US

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Statendam   Destination Fort Lauderdale, P eta 3/16
Rotterdam   Destination Grand Turk eta 3/16

At Sea Pacific

Zuiderdam   Destination Raiatea Island, Ut eta 3/16

Cabo San Lucas, MX

Koningsdam  

Cartagena Colombia

Eurodam   07:00 - 13:00

Falmouth Jamaica

Nieuw Amsterdam   09:00 - 18:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Volendam   Destination Malaga, SP eta 3/18
Volendam still seems to be in Cadiz, but list this as status.

Cadiz SP

Zaandam   Shipyard

Great Stirrup Cay

Noordam   Anchorage

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0315World.thumb.png.d2aa4c705adb950d73b5ef152db1b998.png

Thanks for the fleet report.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I don't know Vanessa about home therapy.  You would think someone in her condition would be able to get that.  Otherwise she is going to need transportation to a facility.  They are all probably trying to find out what she can get provided to her right this minute.  Today is the day she's supposed to be discharged from the hospital.  This is so stressful.  

Sandi, Debbie is right. Get the press or a local consumer advocate involved. There is nothing Human about Humana’s decision. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sandi, Debbie is right. Get the press or a local consumer advocate involved. There is nothing Human about Humana’s decision. 

I've asked my DB about that.  I live in a completely different state so this is something they should look into there.  I have no idea what's going on at the moment.  Is there an emogi for "biting my nails"?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration Lists.

😊We enjoy visiting Santa Barbara~~DH has his class reunions there.😎

🍷Pinot Noir is a favorite and so is the Willamette Valley in Oregon.🍷

🚢I'm so pleased to see so many from the Daily Family cruising.🚢

🙏Prayers for all in need and especially the brave citizens in Ukraine.🙏

☘️Katie

20220315_141533.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good day and thanks all, an early appointment at the hospital and alls good.   Always thankful when tests go well even better than winning the  lottery like Gerri and Debbie.  

The wine and dinner sound good but had a fantastic lobster dinner last night with fresh artichokes and bubbly rose,  courtesy of DH.  

We’ve really enjoyed visiting Santa Barbara.  

054FCABD-3238-4652-A33C-DBEE708956F3.jpeg

9D4B5593-54D8-4D36-A0E3-2588ECE4D80A.jpeg

73350158-CBD7-4EB6-AFBE-549CEA4C7D60.jpeg

A3B1F257-F3F9-4AD3-BE36-E46A95786EFF.jpeg

79661CCA-1BDD-45C8-8D58-AA238F62134C.jpeg

D2AD0F05-2DB3-4ABA-B9B0-1E1051B850CA.jpeg

A6C9BCBC-6C0F-444A-944C-E220CD4E9054.jpeg

FAA9A672-326E-4F82-8930-C3E493B16038.jpeg

5D1EE499-4973-4F47-A03D-C229C0594C27.jpeg

4D4430EF-1E99-4747-8841-DF0A7F164425.jpeg

77DBDD7D-3153-4461-BD56-8C798EF8294C.jpeg

D64755B2-5ED0-4BF6-9701-1E3AE8586848.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think that's typical of the first day Cardiac Rehab.  Will this be group sessions or one on one with a therapist>

Roy

From my observation and understanding today it will be group session. Of course I would prefer one on one but it seems that Medicare accepts the group sessions as adequate. For my observation of other patients today, it seemed that they did their plans but several staff members monitored them and interacted with them during their "workouts:" The physician on staff had a brief conversation with me and did seem very engaged with the other "patients". Hopefully some rehab is better than none, at least there is a schedule to get him out out the house and move. 

• Like 14

Good afternoon again.  It's a cool 75.2F on our balcony.  With spring break in full swing, there are a lot of small boats and wave runners out.  The party boats are doing a big and loud business.  I heard one a good 15 minutes before it came into view.  There are a lot of big yachts here, and the NCL Bliss anchored after 1:30.  I'm glad I went in and got back before town got crowded.  The spring breakers were just waking up as I headed back to the tender.  And here comes the loud party boat heading out again!

Another interesting collection of days.  Like @TiogaCruiser we also have turkey vultures instead of buzzards in Texas. While ugly, both birds are nature's garbage disposal crew.  I agree the other two days go together.

I like the quote but would probably substitute diet Dr. Pepper for tea.

@dfish  Debbie, all the recipes look good, but they will have to wait a few more weeks. 

I like Pinot Noir, but this one is a little more than we would pay just for ourselves.  I'll pass on the drink.

DH has been to Santa Barbara, but I haven't yet.  That will be remedied the next two weeks.  Thank all you posted pictures today.

@richwmn  Rich, next week's Koningsdam itinerary has been changed, but so far not the following week.  If you can't find it, let me know, and I'll email it to you.

@aliaschief  Thanks for the pictures and information.  DH looked into Azamara.

@grapau27  Graham, Cadiz is another good port, even in the rain.

@smitty34877  Terry, sorry Tana had a bad reaction to the antibiotic.  I hope the new one works without problems.  Glad the nurse was there to sort it all out quickly.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I'm very glad Ren's team won.  Hope all is going well with Buddy and Ann now that he is home.  I hated to hear the news about Jen.  We need to get the bean counters out of the insurance decisions.

@mamaofami  Carol, I am happy Sam got to go to the party and enjoyed himself.

@TiogaCruiser  I've seen bike lanes like you decribed and wonanded about them.  They don’t look safe to me.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Congratulations on the upcoming cruises.

@Overhead Fred  and @sailingdutchy   Congratulations on being negative.  Hope both of you have a safe flight tomorrow and a great cruise.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, sorry your eyes are bothering you along with the PF.  Hope things improve quickly.

@Lady Hudson  Hope your DSIL's problems from tne stents resolve quickly.  Enjoy your cruise.

@Sea Viewer  Hope your DH benefits from the cardiac rehab.

@kazu  Jacqui, I just wanted you to know that you, Jose and Marley remain in our thoughts.  

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

@StLouisCruisers I’m sorry that is happening with Jen. Did she already have rehab, or was that an option?

If there’s a downstairs apartment available, I would hope the landlord would make an exception under the circumstances and allow her to switch without additional cost. It sounds like she is going to need it long term, if she eventually can handle things on her own.

• Like 13

I've asked my DB about that.  I live in a completely different state so this is something they should look into there.  I have no idea what's going on at the moment.  Is there an emogi for "biting my nails"?

Another thing:   Always appeal.  Always, always, always.   Even if you've already appealed.  Do it again.  Never take their answer as final.  Too many people do and then go without needed care and they get away with it.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@StLouisCruisers I’m sorry that is happening with Jen. Did she already have rehab, or was that an option?

If there’s a downstairs apartment available, I would hope the landlord would make an exception under the circumstances and allow her to switch without additional cost. It sounds like she is going to need it long term, if she eventually can handle things on her own.

From what I understand she only started therapy a little over a week ago due to extreme lower back and pelvic pain.  

And you'd think the apartment leasing people would understand this isn't a frivolous case of someone trying to break a lease.  This would be a substitution from an apartment with stairs for a very disabled person.  After all, falling down stairs is what caused this latest horrific injury.

• Like 13