The Daily for Saturday 04/09/2022

richwmn

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite.  It is another warm day with temperatures in the 90s.  This afternoon, our winds are predicted to be 20-25mph with gusts up to 40mph.  

I'm late today since DH suggested we do a drive thru breakfast.  It's a good way to get out of the house for a while.  I guess the outside work I planned will just wait until tomorrow or another day.

Name Yourself Day, reminds me that when I was a college freshman I wanted to have a nickname.  My roommate and I tried to come up with one, but the final choice didn't stick.  I've always liked the idea of unicorns, but they missed the boat.  😁 

The outcome of WWII might have been different without Winston Churchill.  One of our professors took a group of students to NYC to visit different media outlets.  When we visited Life magazine, they told us how they put the special edition covering Churchill's funeral itogether n order to get the issue out while the news was fresh.  That was several decades before the internet.  The magazine chartered a 707 and turned it into a darkroom and newsroom.  The reporters, editors and photographers put the issue together as they flew back across the Atlantic.

I like today's quote.  We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

We have been lucky that we made it to Stanley both times.  The first was in 1999 on Noordam III and the second was in 2015 on the Ruby Princess with @StLouisCruisers  Sandi.  The seas turned very turbulent after we left the Falklands and headed to Cape Horn.  All the pictures from our 1999 visit are pre-digital and in albums in Texas.  I'll see what I can find from the 2015 visit.

@luvteaching  🎂 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KAREN!  🎈  and  💕 💐 HAPPY 45th ANNIVERSARY!  🥂🍾

@ger_77  Gerry,  🥂🍾 HAPPY 45th ANNIVERSARY! 💕🥂  Loved the wedding picture and the car.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad the recording session went smoothly.

@Sea Viewer  I'm sorry it turned out that your DH had a MI.  Hope the angiogram Monday finds the cause.

@JAM37  Julia, I'm happy your DH is feeling better and tested negative.  Hope you feel better soon.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope the latest incident with the garbage disposer is the last gasp from the departed aide.  It was good that the agency will deduct the repair and replacement costs from your final bill.

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, I understand about names that are spelled differently.  I don't know how many times I've been asked if I knew my name was misspelled or if I'd always misspelled it.  What always gets me is when I send a letter or now days an email and the person thinks I misspelled my name and corrects it when they reply.  

@ottahand7  I'm glad your brother is doing well in rehab and may be discharged Monday.

@Vict0riann  Welcome home Ann and Pat.  We enjoyed visiting with you on the Koningsdam.

Speaking of the Koningsdam being the first cruise ship to dock in Canada in more than two years, she would not have been if Princess had not canceled the Caribbean Princess cruise and sent the ship to drydock sooner than scheduled.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Somehow I have not gotten to posting much this week.  Many thanks to Rich, Roy, and all others that make this such a special place!  Belated birthday and anniversary best wishes to all who have celebrated this week!  

It is a bit overcast today, so I am not sure what is in store for us.  I will be very happy if the wind can stay calm.  We have certainly had wind most of the week!  I definitely was relating to those at Augusta National.  Hope the wind is calmer today at the Masters.

It has been a busy week for me.  It seems like all of my calls for Red Cross seem to come at once, so that keeps me busy.  I also volunteered yesterday at a local church to get food ready for their monthly Food Bank distribution.  The need is currently quite high, so I know that any food distributed is going to help so many families!

My prayers today are for all those on the Cares List, especially Ukraine.  I also pray daily for those involved with the caregiving for loved ones.  Please take care of yourselves so that you can care for your "patients" as they need!

Have a great rest of the day!

• Like 24

4 hours ago, garlictown said:

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmdfor sharing the Care and Celebration Lists. Yes, we've been to the Falklands ~~🚢Crown Princess March 2011.😊

❤️Happy Anniversary wishes to both @ger_77and @erewhon.🥂

🎂Additionally, best wishes on your birthday to @luvteaching.🎂

🙏Prayers for all in need and to the people of Ukraine.

Katie

20220409_073328.jpg

20220409_072356.jpg

+1

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! Enjoying the photos!  We had a beautiful plus twenty day yesterday,  today maybe snow again!   Arghh! 

DS is still testing positive ten days later, and he thinks the dog may have it, poor thing.  I wasn’t aware that animals could catch it, but they have inoculated the big animals at our zoo.  

We did spot a bluebird couple.  I don’t think Mr was impressed! 

5AEAA85B-F8FA-4723-BB4C-2193E4326E96.jpeg

EFFEA4BC-E1E1-4C24-9A5F-752E142C4E74.jpeg

Until today I didn't know there was a bluebird with a blue chest!  Our Eastern Bluebirds in the U.S. have the orange chest (males at least).  Always good to learn something new.👍

My DDad loved bluebirds and made houses for himself and other family members like me.  I had many a bluebird family hatched in the house he made me.  Now when I see a bluebird, which is often since they like to sit on the corner of my deck railings, I say "hi Dad!".

• Like 22

The Ruby Princess anchored off Stanley, Falkland Islands, on February 25, 2015.  It was a cold, grey and windy day.  We were able to tender tender into the port.  We stopped at the visitor center and paid to drive out to the cove to see the penguins.  Afterwards, we walked around town.

For some reason many of the penguins there and in Punta Arenas had finished molting and were heading out to sea earlier than normal.  The tour in Punta Arenas to the penguin colony was canceled because all the penguins had left two weeks earlier.

I tried not to repeat many pictures, but of course I had to include a few penguins.

The majority of the penguins were on the beach ready to head to sea, and a few were already in the water.

DSC02637.thumb.JPG.8d8acab4dc5ea8e8234cae9825a7b213.JPG

There were a small number of penguins that were still molting.

DSC02646.thumb.JPG.8985dccb1ea0e7f0716fabe74160caee.JPG

DSC02649.thumb.JPG.1b2d7fb065ca58f0cd9f50b5f8ca380f.JPG

During our walk, we stopped in Christ Church Cathedral, where I took a picture of the organ

DSC02664.thumb.JPG.cd2953364add2dbf077cfbcd04758628.JPG

When we are in foreign ports, especially small ports, we like to wander through their grocery store.  We found three cans of diet Dr. Pepper for a pound each, and since I had three pound coins, being from Texas, we bought them.  We also found this New Zealand wine that we thought was appropriate to be selling in Stanley.

DSC02669.thumb.JPG.020087874b34f5d9bc837761caa5710a.JPG

Walking back to the dock from the store

DSC02671.thumb.JPG.68446ce77ee2f579e13b493efa87c47c.JPG

The seas were already beginning to get rougher as the last tenders were heading back to the ship, and they would get even rougher before we reached Cape Horn.

DSC02676.thumb.JPG.c996e10d350219644114c35d8d90693e.JPG

A departing view of Stanley from our aft balcony.

DSC02677.thumb.JPG.0cc173d8c2847931841bd2e8bc8be962.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful photos today taken in the Falkland Islands.  We are all blessed people to have traveled so much, wouldn't you agree?  

And Lenda, I thought it would be hilarious if DH or I turned up in one of your photos.  Or you could possibly spot yourself and your DH in one of mine.  You never know!  We were on that Ruby cruise in 2015 for 49 days!  (FLL to Los Angeles).🖼️

• Like 21

@kazu, @JazzyV, @Cruising-along, @ottahand7, @bennybear, @grapau27, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @puppycanducruise@cat shepard, @ger_77, @dfish, @StLouisCruisers, @JAM37, @cunnorl, @garlictownThank you!! The birthday and anniversary wishes are so appreciated by all.We've had a good morning so far with flowers coming in from a neighbor and a couple of gift cards to Olive Garden. We're getting Olive Garden take-out for dinner. It's Tulip Festival time and the weather is good so the Skagit Valley is bound to be busy. ALso, with DH's mobility issues bringing it home is just easier. I don't have a car photo but I do have one of us cutting the cake. The cake topper was the bride holding on the groom's coattails as he's running away. DH was a 36 year old confirmed bachelor when we met (at the end of September). We were engaged at the beginning of November and married in April. @rafinmd DH can come off the list. His recovery from his stroke has gone well and we're used to dealing with his mobility and memory issues! Thank you so much for including him. 

Karen

1490626631_Scan1.jpeg.609fbcc8ab7a549d9052e5d4a9f92bf8.jpeg

And one of us back in September. 

US.jpeg.8ae30bf075a1733bb420b8e642ce4df8.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

@kazu, @JazzyV, @Cruising-along, @ottahand7, @bennybear, @grapau27, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @puppycanducruise@cat shepard, @ger_77, @dfish, @StLouisCruisers, @JAM37, @cunnorl, @garlictownThank you!! The birthday and anniversary wishes are so appreciated by all.We've had a good morning so far with flowers coming in from a neighbor and a couple of gift cards to Olive Garden. We're getting Olive Garden take-out for dinner. It's Tulip Festival time and the weather is good so the Skagit Valley is bound to be busy. ALso, with DH's mobility issues bringing it home is just easier. I don't have a car photo but I do have one of us cutting the cake. The cake topper was the bride holding on the groom's coattails as he's running away. DH was a 36 year old confirmed bachelor when we met (at the end of September). We were engaged at the beginning of November and married in April. @rafinmd DH can come off the list. His recovery from his stroke has gone well and we're used to dealing with his mobility and memory issues! Thank you so much for including him. 

Karen

1490626631_Scan1.jpeg.609fbcc8ab7a549d9052e5d4a9f92bf8.jpeg

And one of us back in September. 

US.jpeg.8ae30bf075a1733bb420b8e642ce4df8.jpeg

So nice to see the photos past and present!  Thanks for posting them.  Hope you two enjoy your anniversary dinner!

• Like 17

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Until today I didn't know there was a bluebird with a blue chest!  Our Eastern Bluebirds in the U.S. have the orange chest (males at least).  Always good to learn something new.👍

My DDad loved bluebirds and made houses for himself and other family members like me.  I had many a bluebird family hatched in the house he made me.  Now when I see a bluebird, which is often since they like to sit on the corner of my deck railings, I say "hi Dad!".

These are mountain bluebirds,  we can at times have western bluebirds which have the orange chest but they’re pretty rare here.  Love them all! 

• Like 19

22 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful photos today taken in the Falkland Islands.  We are all blessed people to have traveled so much, wouldn't you agree?  

And Lenda, I thought it would be hilarious if DH or I turned up in one of your photos.  Or you could possibly spot yourself and your DH in one of mine.  You never know!  We were on that Ruby cruise in 2015 for 49 days!  (FLL to Los Angeles).🖼️

I looked to see if I could  spot you or your DH but so far have not seen you.  We rarely take pictures of ourselves, and when we do, generally do not post them.  We may show up in one another's pictures yet.

We also did the entire 49 days.

Lenda

• Like 16

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

On the topic of misspelled names -- my maiden last name was Meller --- can't count the times I was asked -- don't you mean Miller.

My last name is Riches.... you would think that would be an easy one but no.... so I always spell it out. Now, if I lived in Norfolk Co, UK I would have no problem.

• Like 16

🙃I found a few more photos from our Falklands experience from🚢 the Celebrity Infinity not a Princess ship back in 2011. I read that there are no more landmines as of November 2020 in the Falklands.👍

Katie

20220409_160718.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

I have loved seeing all of your pictures, photos penguins and Roy's history lesson.  Don't think we will ever get to some place so exciting as where you guys have gone. 

To catch any Fawn fans up to date, she is still residing on the porch with her heater.  She is eating better, and the new stray cat seems to be beating  the other strays up, so I hope that is not how she got injured.  I would love to bring her in and let her live with the indoor cats, I know she likes other cats,  but I do need to get her checked out by a vet.  She cant live on the porch forever. 

My friend did not skip out on lunch today, but she wanted to go someplace other than where we had planned.  It was nice to see her.. however when she and I are together we have the mouths of mis- behaved sailors and DH gets a bit embarrassed.  Theatre folks he mumbles....She was my old boss, and while we are not alike, we have a lot in common, like our very weird sense of humor, our love of disaster movies,  and murder mysteries.  We do not get bored with a re-watch of Twister for the 20th time...  

• Like 20

51 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

To catch any Fawn fans up to date, she is still residing on the porch with her heater.  She is eating better

Fawn fan here 🙂  Thank you for the update and bless you for looking out for her! Sounds like she's making progress. 🙂 

• Like 15

Good Evening All,

(and hoping I’m not popping in at an inappropriate time. Will catch up on CC after we get home- or on a sea day).

We’re “parked” overnight in PV, on our balcony and a very nice yacht is directly below us. We took a shorex that ended up going to Yelapa instead of Quimixto, and had a beautiful day. On of the neatest things has been seeing how excited the crew are as they all get shore leave. (Thanks to several of you posting about this in the past. We took your cue and gave both Stewards some cash early, so they could use it. They were so appreciative.)

A few pictures for the augmented F&B Department:

Lunch from our excursion:

699ECA86-41A4-48DB-ACF5-9F8535FA15CE.thumb.jpeg.1af386985e5344bf9304a185e123db18.jpeg

Beach at Pisalota (sp?)

C2DBD5FC-3383-468D-B141-A2CF4193F675.thumb.jpeg.6e0170847fe0346d1131c6c10145caf8.jpeg

Lido dinner: Barimundi Diablo, lamb stew, mushroom streudel and pavlova

B85DCF4D-6644-4205-8FB9-24A6FB4ADC9D.thumb.jpeg.20a982cc775ff225a22d87b8b26e459e.jpeg88F2001B-C571-4CFF-A392-725F3E4CD778.thumb.jpeg.10fb73e81d8a7bb4f6fc7dc99e5a0515.jpeg

Our room Steward came by earlier with my copper medallion. 

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

While I’m at it, here’s a bit from yesterday’s shorex in Mazatlan. We stopped at a brick factory, a bakery, a traditional tile maker, a pottery factory (beware of lead!), a couple colonial towns and had a rustic lunch. 

F6868CB0-5DB1-4F77-88D4-2096DA43B3F0.jpeg

9D4E6D7E-AF85-4756-8111-4796C84E7206.jpeg

6B1491A5-42F3-4CA8-9D35-C574B07FBA64.jpeg

DCECB3C8-2398-4742-A8D4-67B8320020FE.jpeg

64C60B0C-C9C9-48E5-8BBA-CB7C5C307DA9.jpeg

EE897BF9-9AC6-4CA9-86DB-D580B3796535.jpeg

915D9B60-E3EE-4967-A46D-F9C67C1AB290.thumb.jpeg.bc6b3bb71f1ca4b091a77e50c4fb482c.jpeg

E8AE3A2D-677F-40B9-95B6-26C9213AC326.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sea Viewer said:

Good morning everyone,

Just received a phone call from the cardiologist taking care of DH. Blood tests have confirmed that he did have a MI and he will continue on the IV meds until Monday when he is scheduled for an angiogram to check what the precipitating factor was. I will be leaving shortly to visit him.

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes. This is such a supportive community 

Mary

Sending prayers that all goes well for your DH, @Sea Viewer

13 hours ago, JAM37 said:

@msmayor I am happy to hear you see improvement in your DD and agree that they should go out. Thank you for sharing what your daughter said to you. It brought tears to my eyes and reminded me of a day, about five months ago, when I answered the phone to hear my youngest daughter, (Leo's Mom), say, "How's the best Mom in the world?". Praying for you, DD, DSIL, Lana and all the others who are helping out.

There is nothing sweeter than hearing your own child let you know that for 18+ years, you did things right.  

@marshhawk thank you for the post about earth angels yesterday - I saw it tonight while trying to catch up and it warmed my soul.  This community is very special...

Sending my congratulations to all celebrating today (what's left of it!!) and prayers for a better tomorrow to those in need.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

It's a quiet Sunday, another warm sunny Autumn day.

Firstly thank you to @smitty34877, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @Overhead Fred, and to @grapau27 for  anniversary messages yesterday, and to @kazu, @ger_77, @StLouisCruisers, @JAM37, @cunnorl, @garlictown, @Cruising-along, and @JazzyV for your messages today.. Forgive me if I have missed anyone.

Thanks for all the contributions to the Daily news, and for the Falkland photos, was interested to learn that NZ wine is sold there, thank you @Quartzsite Cruiser.

@TiogaCruiser Congratulations on your Copper medallion.

@luvteaching sending you Birthday and Anniversary wishes.

@ger_77 Congratulations on your 45th Anniversary, lovely photo.

@Sea Viewer Best wishes to your DH for the Angiogram on Monday.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3