The Daily for Friday 06/10/2022

richwmn

Today is Ball Point Pen Day, Herb and Spices Day, and Iced Tea Day

... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.--George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Meal Suggestion for today - Bacalhau à brás
Drink of the Day - Death And Taxes
Wine of the Day - Pian di Remole Bianco, Italy
Destination of the Day - Portland, Maine, US

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Koningsdam   Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06/11

Bar Harbor, Maine

Zaandam   07:00 - 17:00

Bergen, Norway

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Copenhagen, Denmark

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 16:00

Dubrovnik, Croatia, Port Cruz

Oosterdam   09:00 - 23:59

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 16:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Noordam   11:00 - 19:00

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska

Zuiderdam   13:00 - 22:00

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada

Eurodam   20:00 - 23:59

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Seattle, WA

Westerdam  

0610World.thumb.png.18f38400f90aaac7500d69d0dd2abddb.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 10

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

I like the quote.

You can never have enough ball point pens, the Parker T-Ball Jotter has always been my favorite. I always have quite a few ball point pens on hand including 5 or 6 from every cruise line we have sailed with, they are strictly souvenirs.

Off to the golf course in a few minutes, our league has earlier tee times on Fridays.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 27

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Not really an iced tea person but love herbs and spices and ball point pens.  Great quote by Martin.  Been to Portland several times but I don't think on a BHB.  Not sure what the meal is.  My alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, Cheese Ravioli, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam June 10, 2015.

Today’s care list:

seagarsmoker’s Uncle Gary and SusieKIslandGirl
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother continuing problems in rehab
Buddy with continuing problems
Covid in CrabbiPatti, Cruising-along, and cunnorl families with covid
From the rotation:

1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

2 Days for Westerdam
Prednisone helping CruisinTerri
New wheels for Graham and Pauline
Sea viewer clean skin report
1 day for Oceansaway17(Allure OTS 6/11 to 6/18)
2 days for Mister67 (Equinox 6/12 to 6/18)
3 days for VMAX1700 (Oosterdam 6/13 to 6/25)
4 days for Norseh2o I](Insignia 6/14 to 7/4)
6 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS 5/14-6/24)
Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam  to 6/13 + 6 days Venice). travelingbums 9Jewel OTS to 6/20) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Good morning everyone and happy Friday!  Great collection of days today, a perfect day for a glass of iced tea. I like the quote.  The meal suggestion sounds like it would be a lot of work, something I’d probably order in a restaurant.  I’ve been to Portland many times and hope to retire there in the near future.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 25

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Friday!

It's cool and wet this morning.  We had rain overnight but this afternoon promises to be sunny.

I like the days.  I like ball point pens.   I agree with @MISTER 67I like the Jotter too.  I enjoy using herbs and spices in my cooking.  I enjoy a nice glass of iced tea on a hot day.

Good quote.

I'll wait until I see the recipe for today's meal before I make a decision on it.

I hope the cocktail is good.  I'm sure I'll like the wine.

I've never been to Portland, thanks in advance for pictures.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I enjoy ice tea, especially in the summer when I can make fresh mint tea from the garden.  I’ll wait on @dfish to see what the meal suggestion is before deciding.  I must admit I’m curious about the drink of the day.  We’ve been to today’s port on a BHB.  I hope that everyone has a good Friday.  I’m looking forward to the work week ending.

image.png.fc4b6949a892b07127326128d297d18f.png

• Like 30

Good afternoon.

It is 61°F sunny but a little windy here.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the various lists.

I prefer to use biro pens rather than the ink pens we used at grammar school 50 years ago.

I like lots of flavoured tea's but never fancied iced teas.

We are having lunch later and I'm sure it will have herb's and spices in it.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Never been to today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 26

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Another beauty of a morning here. Yesterday’s breezes helped keep the heat bearable. So did the pool. 😎

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. I hope that your hip is better and you were able to sleep. Morning Dailyites! @dfish, Debbie congrats on getting back into the pool!  Off to the gym. Tonight a group from my former gym are having a reunion meal. Hoping the weather cooperates so we can sit outside. 

Ain’t this the truth!

9F464374-B16E-455C-B989-5C8CA2A77C07.jpeg.764c3a9b1e7b2362fb12f47a555a15bf.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Pian di Remole Bianco

This is a very elusive white Tuscan wine. I would love a taste, though it might be a bit too sweet for me to sip by itself. Perhaps a good base for a white sangria. No expert reviews, but lots of consumers give it very good ratings. If you can find it locally, it will be reasonably priced. Even shipping from an International distributor might not make it too expensive, since the going price seems to be around $7.00!

Distributor notes

Frescobaldi's Pian di Rèmole bianco is produced in the historic family winery Villa Rèmole. This white wine is vinified from the traditional Tuscan grape varieties Vemerntino and Trebbiano. In the glass it shines in a crystal clear straw yellow with gold reflections. On the nose, it presents pronounced fragrances and complex fruit and flower aromas, distinctly exotic notes of pineapple and apple, accompanied by hawthorn and acacia flowers, followed by a hint of honey. On the palate, this Tuscan white wine looks wonderfully fresh and round. 

This fresh white wine from northern Tuscany is the ideal accompaniment not only to fish dishes and crustaceans, but also to seafood pasta and risotto dishes.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good morning and Happy Friday.

Thank you to Rich and Roy to get us going this morning.

@rafinmdRoy, glad your hip is feeling better this morning.  Hope it stays that way. It’s not fun having mobility issues.

i like the collection of days.  I use ball point pens a lot and have a large collection.  However, for my crosswords I use pencils.  I really need the eraser.  I do get them finished though.

I use lots of herbs and spices and I like Iced Tea and it is my drink of choice in the summertime.

The increase in Prednisone dosage is helping me.  I am moving around better.  However, I do have to do something about my hands.  Prednisone does help Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and I am putting off doing something about it.  Don’t know how long I can wait.

@grapau27Nice set of wheels. Hope you and Pauline enjoy iit.

@StLouisCruisersStay safe and enjoy your cruise.  Wear your mask and be careful.  

@Sharon in AZhope you had a good day in Corfu.  That is really a beautiful island and we have been there a number of times.  Too bad I didn’t know, I would have given you a great driver who took us around the island.  He was great.

@dfish and @SusieKIslandGirlglad you are both recovering well from your surgeries.

Prayers for all on the cares list and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  It's actually past noon here about 60 miles from England at around 55 degrees north.  I don't have a map handy to determine where that is exactly.  We should be off the shores of Dover tomorrow around noon.  Last night the Captain announced the change in our itinerary about the same time we went to dinner.  Due to Tropical Storm Alex we had to avoid the route from the Shetlands to Cobh/Cork, and go the long way around England.  No replacement port for us as it will take quite a bit longer that way, so our next scheduled port is Cornwall (Falmouth) on June 12.  Many disappointed passengers I'm sure.  Thank goodness we've already been to Cobh/Cork but I really wanted to shop for some beautiful silver Celtic knot necklaces as gifts.  I have one and love it.  I hope there will be another chance in the future. 

Before I read it was iced tea day, I made up a bottle of peach iced tea with a small packet of Crystal Light peach iced tea I'd brought along with me.  I have it at home all the time.

Well, I haven't been to Portland Maine before.  I'm keeping a list of the destinations so when I get home I can update my spread sheet. 

Miss you all!  Have a great Friday.❤️

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.Love the quote.Been tomPortland many times. The first time was when my youngest son was 1 and we went with his 7 year old sister to visit our oldest at a camp in Maine. Our car started leaking oil and on the way home we stop,led at a gas station and the car died as we pulled in. We couldn’t rent a car because it was visiting day for all the Maine camps so a truck drove us to the airport and we flew home. One of the nights we were there, the baby ( who will be 50 this July) woke at 6 am and we had no milk for his bottle. DH put him in the car and drove with him for 2 hours till a place opened up and we could get him milk. Several ti,es we were there on cruise.

Today is my last session of PT for balance and I will miss the therapists and the great atmosphere there.

Prayers for all who need it.

Stay safe,

Carol

• Like 27

Good Morning All,

Today is cleaning day here. I’m up early ( just was done sleeping) and plan to attack it, then work with our new Cricut machine. It’s still cool here ( going to 100 supposedly) and will take His Nibs for his walk after the sun comes up. 

Maybe I ought to get him out of bed now….. payback for so many times he’s done that to us. Or kept us up when playtime hit late.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26

Good morning, everyone!

It is supposed to be warmer here today with sunshiny skies.  Yesterday it barely reached 70 in the late afternoon.  Today's celebrations are all good ones.  I like home brewed iced tea and often make it with Constant Comment tea.  I love to use herbs and spices in cooking.  They make the difference!   I've been Portland, Maine several times on a BHB and once on a land trip for a conference.  I'll look for my pictures later.  But, first, I am going back to the pool.  I felt so good yesterday!  

Today we are back to a more traditional meal and one that is healthy and good for us.  

Cod is a low-fat source of protein, making it an excellent choice for people who would like to reduce their fat intake and improve their heart health. Cod also contains a significant amount of iodine, which is an important mineral for thyroid function. Iodine helps your thyroid regulate hormones that control the body’s metabolism and cognitive function. Consuming enough iodine can help prevent problems like goiters, birth defects, and symptoms of hypothyroidism.  Cod can help control blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart disease, lower cholesterol, and improve brain function.  Read more here:  https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-cod

Today's meal is Salt Cod with potatoes and eggs.    Bacalhau a bras, a delicious lunch, dinner, or even brunch dish is from the classic restaurant Bota Alta, in Lisbon’s Bairro Alto district.  https://leitesculinaria.com/7642/recipes-portuguese-eggs-salt-cod-potatoes-bacalhau-bras.html

1352203383_bacalhau-a-bras1.thumb.jpg.8f20d9f42cabe6fd407491dfef59897e.jpg

According to Food and Wine, this dish is considered the ultimate comfort food in Portugal.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/bacalhau-bras-salt-cod-eggs-and-potatoes

1373948513_bacalhauabras2.thumb.jpg.9f60cd859cb6f6f2434e22d92f30f482.jpg

This version uses potato sticks from the store.  However, you can replace the potato sticks with julienned leeks if  you are cutting carbs.   Parsley can be substituted for the coriander/cilantro and fresh cod can be used instead of the salted cod.   https://alidasfood.com/en/bacalhau-a-bras/

1091192759_bacalhauabras4.thumb.jpg.25c665421c5a3d5abbd3649837a62931.jpg

I'd try it.  

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the growing number of victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.  Cheers for those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a great day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

We all like ice tea and always have some onhand. Who knew that ballpoint pens had their own day!  Always use herbs and spices in cooking. Have a small "kitchen garden" with basil, dill , mint and small cherry tomatoes.

Have been to Portland many times  but not in many years.  My college roommate lived there .

Many thanks to @Cruising-along, @rafinmd, @Seasick Sailor for your replies yesterday. I will call the luggage service direct. I really only need it from here to San Diego. Our trip home is from Sydney to San Francisco to Orlando. DH who has done this route several times on business said there were many luggage carts in SF.  Our son and nephew will pick us up in Orlando and they can haul the luggage from there. So many thanks. Will let you all know my results. 

Plan on golfing tomorrow AM early.  

Off to water aerobics and then Publix.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning and Happy Friday.

Thank you to Rich and Roy to get us going this morning.

@rafinmdRoy, glad your hip is feeling better this morning.  Hope it stays that way. It’s not fun having mobility issues.

i like the collection of days.  I use ball point pens a lot and have a large collection.  However, for my crosswords I use pencils.  I really need the eraser.  I do get them finished though.

I use lots of herbs and spices and I like Iced Tea and it is my drink of choice in the summertime.

The increase in Prednisone dosage is helping me.  I am moving around better.  However, I do have to do something about my hands.  Prednisone does help Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and I am putting off doing something about it.  Don’t know how long I can wait.

@grapau27Nice set of wheels. Hope you and Pauline enjoy iit.

@StLouisCruisersStay safe and enjoy your cruise.  Wear your mask and be careful.  

@Sharon in AZhope you had a good day in Corfu.  That is really a beautiful island and we have been there a number of times.  Too bad I didn’t know, I would have given you a great driver who took us around the island.  He was great.

@dfish and @SusieKIslandGirlglad you are both recovering well from your surgeries.

Prayers for all on the cares list and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

God Bless,

Terri

Thank you Terri.

We popped out for lunch but I had eaten some of my lunch before I remembered the photo.

Graham.

IMG_20220610_125656.jpg

• Like 20

Good morning. We had our afternoon thunder storms which has the humidity this morning at 91%! Going to be a sweltering walk this morning.

Not much on the schedule today. Sue and I received our full itinerary for our trip to Scotland and outer Hebrides. Was able to find video streams of most of our hotels on You Tube. Some beautiful places with fantastic views and even a castle (Dornach) that we will be staying in which is located on the shortest street in the world.

Have been to Portland several times in my youth. My parents always rented a cottage every summer at Old Orchid Beach, Maine. Great memories. Dang was the ocean a cold place to swim.

Seldom write with a pen anymore and my penmanship has deteriorated. I have seen some of the scribble from young relatives and it’s obvious that there is not much teaching of handwriting in schools these days.

Time for the walk before it get’s much hotter. First a tall glass of water!

Have a great TGIF which at this time in my life is just another Blessed day!

Thanks for the reports!

• Like 32

Good morning from a sunny and warm NY. We have been to Portland a few times on land and cruise trips.I salute the days and will think about making recipe number two if the fresh cod looks good later.

@grapau27, The lunch looked great and I wish you and Pauline many years of enjoyment with the new car

@Cruzin Terri, I am glad you have some relief with the increased meds.

@Sharon in AZ, I am so glad Craig is out of quarantine and hope he can enjoy some of the trip with you.

Our resident teenager went to a dance at his school last night with a very nice female friend. Our Tana was happy and sad at the same time and we tried to  frame things positively for her. He is certainly growing up way too fast and has had a lot to deal with in the past two years. it was a happy occasion and we were all relieved to hear him come home at the appointed time. Between his own Mom,DD and myself, he has a gauntlet to get past in order to get out the door! and back in….

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

I fly into Portland Maine quite a bit every year. The airlines always seem to want to send me to Portland Oregon so I have learned to reread everything and then doublecheck one last time . I miss Maine and .yes, the ocean is cold, but it beats no ocean at all....

• Like 22

23 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning from a sunny and warm NY. We have been to Portland a few times on land and cruise trips.I salute the days and will think about making recipe number two if the fresh cod looks good later.

@grapau27, The lunch looked great and I wish you and Pauline many years of enjoyment with the new car

@Cruzin Terri, I am glad you have some relief with the increased meds.

@Sharon in AZ, I am so glad Craig is out of quarantine and hope he can enjoy some of the trip with you.

Our resident teenager went to a dance at his school last night with a very nice female friend. Our Tana was happy and sad at the same time and we tried to  frame things positively for her. He is certainly growing up way too fast and has had a lot to deal with in the past two years. it was a happy occasion and we were all relieved to hear him come home at the appointed time. Between his own Mom,DD and myself, he has a gauntlet to get past in order to get out the door! and back in….

Cheers.

I appreciate your good wishes.

IMG_20220610_121723.jpg

• Like 21

Today I need to go to a grocery store, try to repair a dripping faucet, and mow the front lawn. I had intended to do "big shopping" last night at a large supermarket, but was too tired, and I don't shop there during busy times, so I'll just pick up what I need now at a smaller one that is nearer.

Packing for the Greece cruise revealed a number of deficiencies in my wardrobe, caused by two years of buying no clothing since I wasn't going anywhere to speak of,  and having lost weight. It's oddly difficult to find what I need; I think that some workrooms and factories may have closed for good during the pandemic shutdown, and the prices of what is available are in the stratosphere. In addition to what I'm buying now, if I can find it, I need a dark suit for funeral officiation - the only time I would wear one.* My next cruise is on a line that has what it still calls formal nights, but I usually wear a blue blazer for those.

On the car topic, from yesterday: I've driven a Renault only once, and liked it. I rented it in Salisbury for a tour of West Country and Cotswolds gardens, and returned it at Gatwick Airport. After driving around for a week deep in the country with almost no other traffic, the drive to Gatwick was nerve-wracking. Earlier in the trip I had rented a car at Gatwick and returned it at Canterbury. A Canadian friend who was working in London joined me for that part of the trip and everywhere we drove, she kept saying, "I think we're lost. We should be there by now." I suspect that she didn't realize how slowly I was driving. BTW, this was mostly on B roads, not rural lanes where you have to watch for wide places if there are oncoming vehicles.

A friend railed at me recently for not driving an electric car. I don't think that electric-only cars are completely practical yet, in a one-car household; two friends have them but both are married to people with conventional cars. Then she scolded me for not driving a hybrid, which would be practical for me; I had to buy in a hurry at the end of the model year in 2018 after my '08 Corolla was in a flood, and no hybrid vehicles were to be found within 50 miles. This spring I gave a talk to college students and told them not to upbraid their parents for not driving electric cars, but to plant the idea for the next time they're buying one.

-----------------

*I don't work in a clergy job, but I'm on call for vacation coverage and the like. I can also do weddings, but no one ever asks, since those are scheduled far in advance. I've never been asked to officiate at a shotgun wedding.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1