WHY the big goal to become Pinacle ?? ..

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

Simply pay a visit to the LA on board during your next cruise.  They have huge plastic baggies of the pins in their desk drawer.  🙂 

That's what I'm going to do.  

We did not get the robes last cruise.  Is it only certain cruises?  I don't even know if it's worth it to ask for them if we don't have them this cruise.  It's not like we can keep them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

That's kind of what I thought as well. 

But maybe the OP knows a whole group of people that are not  paying their bills, letting the kids go hungry and selling the family heirlooms in order to fund their chase to Pinnacle? 😇😉😄

Kids...bills?  What are those?   Bills paid on time... no debts..no kids...no heirlooms to leave to anyone.  😉 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, moposh said:

That's what I'm going to do.  

We did not get the robes last cruise.  Is it only certain cruises?  I don't even know if it's worth it to ask for them if we don't have them this cruise.  It's not like we can keep them.

Simply ask your cabin attendant for the robes...though I think it is on availability for Platinum.  Or so I remember ...it's been too long.   Never hurts to ask!  Enjoy!  🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Oh, you meant the cost to see Alaska, Australia, Bahamas, Canada, Caribbean, Central America, New England, Europe, Greenland, Mexico, Hawaii, New Zealand, Panama Canal and South America?  Not bad really considering the places I've seen and memories I've made.  

But I suppose I could have stayed home and seen all these destination from Youtube videos.  If only Youtube was available when I started cruising.  Think of the money I could have stayed by staying home and watching the internet.  I might have earned YouTube Gold status by now.

In all fairness yes you’ve seen them but it’s hard to actually experience most of those places during a 6-12 hour stop in a port. I love cruising but that’s the main reason once I finished grad school and had a lot more disposable income I started taking more land vacations because even though it’s fun I don’t feel like I’m really getting to see and experience these places

5 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

In all fairness yes you’ve seen them but it’s hard to actually experience most of those places during a 6-12 hour stop in a port. I love cruising but that’s the main reason once I finished grad school and had a lot more disposable income I started taking more land vacations because even though it’s fun I don’t feel like I’m really getting to see and experience these places

News flash -- some of us just enjoy cruising.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Oh, you meant the cost to see Alaska, Australia, Bahamas, Canada, Caribbean, Central America, New England, Europe, Greenland, Mexico, Hawaii, New Zealand, Panama Canal and South America?  Not bad really considering the places I've seen and memories I've made.  

But I suppose I could have stayed home and seen all these destination from Youtube videos.  If only Youtube was available when I started cruising.  Think of the money I could have stayed by staying home and watching the internet.  I might have earned YouTube Gold status by now.

You win the internet today - gold trophy | Meme Generator

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

The visit to those places is an appetizer...IMHO.   Where else can you visit so many places, without having to pack, unpack, pack, unpack...repeat.   A little peek into "what is out there".   Later on, return to visit the favorites...while time on this earth allows.  

I am on first leg WC.....little tougher to do the circumnavigation of all of South America, plus visit Antarctica on a land based drive.  😉   Then on 4th leg...visiting the Norway fiords, the Baltics, Greenland, Iceland, and continuing on west... visiting Newfoundland and onwards down the coast back to Miami.  Appetizer.  🙂 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

Last I checked you can't drive a rental car through the Sounds of New Zealand or through the Panama Canal.  Coastal Alaska by car is also a challenge.

That's also why I've cruised destinations multiple times.  I get to see something different each time and when I find a spot I really like I later fly there.  You argument is that I only cruise which isn't accurate.  Cruising can let you find the best places on land to focus a land vacation.  I've flown to Hawaii a number of times.  Cruising there let's you see it from a completely different perspective and you see more of the state compared to staying at a resort on one island.  

Cruising is not mutually exclusive of land vacations rather cruising it is complementary to land vacations.

I scuba dive which is very complimentary with Caribbean cruising.  When flying it's nearly impossible to dive at multiple islands day after day since you can't fly for 24 hours after a dive.  On a cruise ship I can dive 4 different islands across hundreds of miles in a week.  That would cost a small fortunate to build the same dive trip using airplanes.  

Currently planning the Galapagos.  That's another a great cruise destination and the only way to see so much diversity across many different islands.

Pinnacle happened not because I was focused on attaining points.  Pinnacle was a journey that happened along the way and that journey continues after 700.  Pinnacle was not the destination.  However it is pretty great to have and enjoy the perks as the journey continues.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 12

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

Last I checked you can't drive a rental car through the Sounds of New Zealand or through the Panama Canal.  Coastal Alaska by car is also a challenge.

That's also why I've cruised destinations multiple times.  I get to see something different each time and when I find a spot I really like I later fly there.  You argument is that I only cruise which isn't accurate.  Cruising can let you find the best places on land to focus a land vacation.  I've flown to Hawaii a number of times.  Cruising there let's you see it from a completely different perspective and you see more of the state compared to staying at a resort on one island.  

Cruising is not mutually exclusive of land vacations rather cruising it is complementary to land vacations.

I scuba dive which is very complimentary with Caribbean cruising.  When flying it's nearly impossible to dive at multiple islands day after day since you can't fly for 24 hours after a dive.  On a cruise ship I can dive 4 different islands across hundreds of miles in a week.  That would cost a small fortunate to build the same dive trip using airplanes.  

Currently planning the Galapagos.  That's another a great cruise destination and the only way to see so much diversity across many different islands.

Pinnacle happened not because I was focused on attaining points.  Pinnacle was a journey that happened along the way and that journey continues after 700.  Pinnacle was not the destination.  

Totally agree...once again.  

Loving our cruises in Alaska...we recently returned to spend a month in Homer to enjoy the area, and of course some very good Halibut fishing.  😉  Just last week booked flights to Hawaii to spend a month on Maui, due to loving our first visit there by cruise ship years ago.  

Oh...and the outdoor grilling of fresh Halibut we caught...with a live view of the glaciers/mountains from the back deck of our cabin... instead of watching on Youtube ....yeah...not bad. 

20200817_143843.jpg

20200821_183643.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, beardedladies said:

I think if you get to pinnacle but it's not all about the cruising then there must be something seriously wrong with you - I dread to think what I've spent on all these cruises but I suspect I could have a second house by now!

More fun to cruise than take care of a second house.  😄 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2022 at 2:56 PM, yogimax said:

The real "problem" for the double points isn't new Pinnacles, it's new Diamonds which may force RCCL to change their C&A program.   Think about it, 8 free drinks per couple per day.  That's 56 free drinks every 7 night cruise.  That's a big financial hit in cost and income lost for RCCL.

Double points has not resulted in a slew of "extra" Diamond or Pinnacle members. 

Nobody earned any points for a year while cruises were shut down. Double points are just getting people back to where they would have been anyway had cruises been running. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, island lady said:

You can always live on a cruise ship but you can't cruise in a second house. 😇

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 11:40 AM, SpekiTrout said:

and 'WHAT" did that supposed Free Cruise cost you .. ??  

My 12 night free Pinnacle cruise in January 2023 is costing me $303, inlcuding tips.  I could add on hotel room if you want.  Air is free with credits, but yes, I paid that money out before.  So, make it another $432.  So, $735.

Free wifi, 6 free drinks per day included.

• Like 3

There's some very nice perks hitting Pinnacle but it sure takes a lot of points. I think the one that really makes some difference from lower is Diamond and that's pretty easy to achieve. You get the four free drinks and the coffee and a few other perks. I like to cruise on NCL too and others so I don't just stick to one line.

Edited by nferr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Before Covid hit we actually priced out what it would cost to book a 52 week B2B on Brilliance😇, and it was actually less expensive to do that than what it would have cost if we went into a local assisted living facility instead. At some point, a cruise ship will become our second home.

• Like 3

On 8/7/2022 at 3:07 PM, BND said:

Our goal is to cruise as much as possible.  Pinnacle is the result of that, not the goal.  

Exactly! For a long time until recently we even cruised with 8 lines not thinking about statuses.

Of course RCI has amazing perks which made us love being Diamonds (now +). We are also lucky to have so many cruises available with Royal from where we live!

Benefits will be sweeter when we reach Pinnacle. We also will be MUCH older then.

I am not sure we will be able to use main ones then. 🙂

I think D+ has perfect mix of benefits for our age.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beardedladies said:

I think if you get to pinnacle but it's not all about the cruising then there must be something seriously wrong with you - I dread to think what I've spent on all these cruises but I suspect I could have a second house by now!

We got a second home in Florida, which opened up so much more cruising opportunities for me. If all goes as planned I’ll reach Pinnacle in October, only hit D+ February 2020. All the FL ports are between 1.5 to 4.5 hours away

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 2:12 PM, sowhat said:

Pinnacle  does not mean nothing these days.
With double  points, there are new pinnacles  on each sailing across  the fleet

I don't know if the double points made that much difference. Without covid  a lot of cruisers would have progressed to the next level.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, orville99 said:

Before Covid hit we actually priced out what it would cost to book a 52 week B2B on Brilliance😇, and it was actually less expensive to do that than what it would have cost if we went into a local assisted living facility instead. At some point, a cruise ship will become our second home.

Totally agree.   We still have land based adventures...lots of them....but as we get older, will lean more towards cruising as being simply easier.  Already sold the Motor home...was not using it.  😉 

17 hours ago, HBE4 said:

You can always live on a cruise ship but you can't cruise in a second house. 😇

LOL...so true!   Reminds of the ship's captain when he would get upset about someone calling his ship a "boat".   He reminded us at an event one time..."A ship can carry a boat...a boat can't carry a ship".  😉