WHY the big goal to become Pinacle ?? ..

1 hour ago, island lady said:

We just naturally became Pinnacle...and BTW...that is with a double "n".  😉   Wow...how did that happen??  Oh wait...now I remember.  We simply love to cruise quite often, and it happened...that's how.  😄

For perks?  Which we really appreciate as a token of loyalty...it's indeed the unlimited free internet. 

Breakfast in Chops is another nice perk. 

Availability to CK/SL is nice...but not that much of a big draw...can take it or leave it. 

Six drink vouchers...making happy hour...any hour...at any place of our choice.  No worries if six per person per day would not be enough..otherwise...it may be time to check into where the nearest AA meeting is.  😮 

And...RCI insists on giving us a free cruise with each progressive 350 points...OK...I will take that as well.  

So...do I feel appreciated?  You betcha!  🤗

Nice catch. And I know you guys cruise for the pleasure and enjoyment. Making the different tier levels after paying for them is a great bonus. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

In the grand scheme of things it is a small cost to keep guests loyal especially in todays world where loyalty is becoming rare.

Yes.  That is about 56 in cost.  Not that much.  

But the real cost is the opportunity cost of them not buying a drink package or additional drinks.  If they just gave a discount (pre cruise) I suspect a lot more Diamond would buy it.  For many 4 drinks isn’t gonna be enough each day, but there is essentially no reward for being diamond or higher if you buy the package.  

Only D+ and up get a discount and it can’t be used pre cruise.  So if you wait to buy it on board and use the discount it is about the same price as anyone else paid pre cruise.  If they have a discount for D or D+ pre cruise they could make a lot more revenue.  It surprising they don’t do this with so many D and higher.   

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CruiszBug said:

With that argument, why does anyone try to achieve anything? Pinnacle is a mark in time to which you progressively take a rung up a ladder. When you reach the top it is an accomplishment. For those who cruise often it is a pleasant glow rewarded by a free cruise, some extra perks. Satisfaction. 😀

It's like why climb Mt Everest or any other challenging thing, because ya can and you will do it in due time.   Like it is a goal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpekiTrout said:
I have a question .. and please know I am not attempting to start WWIII ... just truly interested. Why is the desire of so many to become Pinacle?? Not being wise or fresh .. purely curious. btw . my husband and I have been Diamond Plus since the program began .. and we're happy where we are .. and have points that could very well make us Pinacle in the near future but that's not our goal. The perks of Diamond Plus are really not much different when Pinacle is reached. I see so many here stirivng for Pinacle and I truly do not understand the 'whys' ...do tell!!  Thank you!!  This was from my post on FB where I first asked .. thanks!

34 Comments

We’ve been D+ for a long time now. In no way do I view Pinnacle as some type of accomplishment and I don’t quite get that angle. Cruising a bunch isn’t an accomplishment, it is a privilege that some folks get to enjoy.  

With that said, I would certainly enjoy all the perks that come with Pinnacle such as free internet and SL/CK access.  One can certainly buy any such perk, but it would be a nice benefit to have a regular cabin and get many of the sky class benefits.  I’m sure that is one big reason that many are quite happy to reach pinnacle.  I hope to as well some day in the future.  I’m sure others enjoy the attention and being made to feel special.  That is great if that is what people enjoy.  Not for me, but to each their own.  I’ve met many of very nice pinnacles and a few obnoxious pinnacles as well.  There are all types in any group.  Either way, the perks are definitely much better than D+ and I would absolutely love to have those perks.  

Unfortunately, having young kids,

my situation didn’t allow for booking many cruises during the double points promo.  So I’ll have to keep earning my points the hard way. But barring the good lord  taking me too early, and Royal not changing the threshold, I’m confident I’ll be a stealthy pinnacle quietly enjoying my perks in the future.  Until then, I’ll try to do as many suites as possible so that I enjoy all those perks anyhow (I’ll just be paying for them).  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

We’ve been D+ for a long time now. In no way do I view Pinnacle as some type of accomplishment and I don’t quite get that angle. Cruising a bunch isn’t an accomplishment, it is a privilege that some folks get to enjoy.  

With that said, I would certainly enjoy all the perks that come with Pinnacle such as free internet and SL/CK access.  One can certainly buy any such perk, but it would be a nice benefit to have a regular cabin and get many of the sky class benefits.  I’m sure that is one big reason that many are quite happy to reach pinnacle.  I hope to as well some day in the future.  I’m sure others enjoy the attention and being made to feel special.  That is great if that is what people enjoy.  Not for me, but to each their own.  I’ve met many of very nice pinnacles and a few obnoxious pinnacles as well.  There are all types in any group.  Either way, the perks are definitely much better than D+ and I would absolutely love to have those perks.  

Unfortunately, having young kids,

my situation didn’t allow for booking many cruises during the double points promo.  So I’ll have to keep earning my points the hard way. But barring the good lord not taking me too early, and Royal not changing the threshold, I’m confident I’ll be a stealthy pinnacle quietly enjoying my perks in the future.  Until then, I’ll try to do as many suites as possible so that I enjoy all those perks anyhow (I’ll just be paying for them).  

We didn't start cruising until we were in our mid-late 40's and our kids were grown and in college but at the rate we're going we could be Pinn in 2-3 years.  I'm 62 and DH is 65.  So, enjoy the fact you can afford to cruise with young kids because a lot of people can't.  Not that we were poor, but a big vacation most of the time our kids were growing up was a week at the beach only eating dinner out and cooking in the condo we rented.  I was a SAHM until they were 12 and 14.    And, once they went to college we took advantage especially since we made sure to continue living on one salary so mine was for extras.  We also earned 5 weeks of leave per year which made it easier.  As I said previously Pinnacle isn't the goal, but it comes with time and money.  No one "earns" it as much as they buy it.   We were recognized on our July EN cruise as having the third highest point count onboard (479) with only two pinnacles as summer Bermuda cruises just aren't as big of a draw for higher tiers.  We went for our anniversary.  As an example, in April, there were 27 pinns on the 12 night cruise vs the 2 in July on a 6 night.  I don't particularly enjoy being the center of attention but we went to the top tier and went up on stage at the request of the LA after she sent us a letter and called us.  They use those to get people to keep booking as it makes it appear something achievable for everyone (which it is for most if they really want it). We're now at 491 pts and after our Nov b2b we'll be at 543 (JS booked under double pts) but our July cruise was in a JS not booked under double.

• Like 1

We would love to be pinnacle but celebrity got in the way.     We were actually more excited to become diamond than diamond plus but things were different back then. I think there was one cruise where we got into the concierge lounge then the rules were changed.  We have bought the drink packages for the last few years.  

The only goal I have is to reach 340 for the solo discount. I could care less about Pinnacle. I’m not a foodie, and don’t even eat in the MDR, so wouldn’t eat in CK either. Plus I don’t like attention drawn to me, so I would never wear the pin. Most cruises involve flights for me, and at this stage in my life, I’m spreading out certain itineraries over different cruise lines, to visit ports I’ve never been too. Also, I’m pretty frugal  where I spend my money, so going to the same ports over and over to reach a certain loyalty status doesn’t really appeal to me. 

• Like 5

There was a time when the Crown and Anchor program was updated. Any past cruise already taken that was less than 7 days (example: 3 and 4 day cruises ) were automatically pushed up to 7 points.  Many retired Floridians who were jumping on those short cruises for cheap prices, sometimes as low as a $100 per person suddenly got a large point increase pushing up their Crown and Anchor status significantly.

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Vibe said:

There was a time when the Crown and Anchor program was updated. Any past cruise already taken that was less than 7 days (example: 3 and 4 day cruises ) were automatically pushed up to 7 points.  Many retired Floridians who were jumping on those short cruises for cheap prices, sometimes as low as a $100 per person suddenly got a large point increase pushing up their Crown and Anchor status significantly.

Yes, that's when they updated the entire system and added Emerald which cost us making D by one cruise,.  There were a lot of Floridians who did very short cruises, including cruises to nowhere who didn't have as many nights as others.  One point for 7 nights, one point for 2 or 3 nights.  They had to fix it.  There were a lot of deals for those short voyages.  So, their 700 points aren't what our eventual 700 points will be.  We've only done 3 cruises of less than 7 nights (5 and 6) and actually did more 10+ nights than anything else.  But for longer cruises before the change we got an extra point.  Our RCI cruises (27 or so) have all been in a JS or GS except one, so we've paid a bit to get the almost 500 we have.

Edited by BND

I like breakfast in Chops on the smaller boat.  We usually sail suites, but as we get older we want to take more and more advantage of the free offers we get and not always upgrade.  For example we took a free Jr Suite last month, just port fees and taxes....but because we weren't pins yet 😞 we couldn't eat in chops for breakfast.  Once we reach Pin level, it doesn't matter what room you book....you always sail like you are in a suite (with regard to things you can do around the boat)

• Like 1

We also have been Diamond Plus for a long time, since 2006. It was a big deal back then. We have been going on at least one cruise or more since 2000 and have been cruising with Royal since 1983.  Flying to Florida was an all day affair from Las Vegas. Most of the cruises are 7 nights in balconies and only a couple in junior suites. We did get a few cruises in under the double point promotion so it did help us get a few more points. As of now we have less than 100 points to Pinnacle, but will still probably take a couple of years. We are happy with what we receive as Diamond Plus. 

6 hours ago, little britain said:

Lol; you and me both this year!!

The actual day I turned diamond ( March 2009)  they announced “ no diamonds in the DL”….. can you believe it?!?🤷‍♀️  So I’d like to predict the day of the next downsizing announcement will be in October ….!

I remember when that happened. It was caused by people bringing their friends into the lounge who shouldn't have been there and ruined it for all of us  

I wouldn't say it's a "big goal" but it is something I'm looking forward to. 

Hitting D+ got me a free bag of laundry per cruise, and I now bundle cruises together, so that's a nice perk that saves me a few bucks.

Five free drinks a day allows me to not get the Refreshment Package, and sometimes I don't even get the soda package.  That saves me a few bucks, too. 

I always get internet (I'm my parents' Patient Advocate, so I need to be contactable at all times, plus I just like having internet).  Since I've already purchased it for the week, I like to share my two free days of internet with a new cruise friend who doesn't have internet the last two days of the cruise.

Hitting 340 got me a 25% reduction in my cruise fare (because I cruise solo), so that's a few hundred dollars saved off most of my cruises.  

And getting to Pinnacle will give me free wifi on every cruise -- which will save me $140 each time.  

Between the 340 discount and the free wifi, I'll be saving several hundred dollars per cruise... that's a HUGE benefit for me (and my bank account).

• Like 5

10 hours ago, little britain said:

Lol; you and me both this year!!

The actual day I turned diamond ( March 2009)  they announced “ no diamonds in the DL”….. can you believe it?!?🤷‍♀️  So I’d like to predict the day of the next downsizing announcement will be in October ….!

On Anthem 5th October trip for us! So both October pinnies 😃

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SpekiTrout said:

and 'WHAT" did that supposed Free Cruise cost you .. ??  

Port fees and taxes, typically about $115 for a seven night cruise to the caribbean. 

Plus the cost of parking at the port.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, crzndeb said:

The only goal I have is to reach 340 for the solo discount. I could care less about Pinnacle. I’m not a foodie, and don’t even eat in the MDR, so wouldn’t eat in CK either. Plus I don’t like attention drawn to me, so I would never wear the pin. Most cruises involve flights for me, and at this stage in my life, I’m spreading out certain itineraries over different cruise lines, to visit ports I’ve never been too. Also, I’m pretty frugal  where I spend my money, so going to the same ports over and over to reach a certain loyalty status doesn’t really appeal to me. 

DP340 is a trap.  Once you get the reduced solo supplement it makes it hard to sail other cruise lines solo.  

You'll be surprised how quickly the second 350 points racks up once you get DP340.  Even with the double points promo the road to Pinnacle before the shut down and the double points promo occurred a lot faster compared to the first 350.  

• Like 4